Search found 6270 matches

by Sarvis
Mon May 02, 2011 12:51 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Oh those special interests.
Replies: 127
Views: 7576

Re: Oh those special interests.

If I have too many people respond to my 'help wanted' ad, I -KNOW- that I am offering too much money. This sort of thing doesn't happen when you are paying your own money for labor. So which is it? Does it not happen, or did you do it? If you didn't, then how do you know? If you did, how can you cl...
by Sarvis
Mon May 02, 2011 12:48 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: They Got Bin Laden
Replies: 30
Views: 2329

Re: They Got Bin Laden

Image
by Sarvis
Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Oh those special interests.
Replies: 127
Views: 7576

Re: Oh those special interests.

Corth wrote: More for teachers per my anectdotal evidence.



Which is, scientifically, the BEST evidence!
by Sarvis
Sun May 01, 2011 4:54 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Oh those special interests.
Replies: 127
Views: 7576

Re: Oh those special interests.

McDonalds is forced to overpay because of minimum wage laws. If they were allowed to lower their wages they would likely offer just enough money so that a sufficient number of qualified people applied to meet their demand. If there were no laws they might use slaves, or just train monkeys. More to ...
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:54 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Who's legislating morality now?
Replies: 10
Views: 597

Re: Who's legislating morality now?

Yea changing reality, "crap that Kiryan makes up." You might actually want to consider many people have view points in direct contradiction to your own... that you are not always a majority or the only intellectually valid viewpoint. All moot. Incredibly pointless and immaterial, in fact....
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:52 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Oh those special interests.
Replies: 127
Views: 7576

Re: Oh those special interests.

Ragorn wrote: And it's currently illegal to threaten to move production operations out of state in retaliation to a collective bargaining agreement.


So what? You have to argue according to what the law might be in 10 years if Kiryan gets his way.
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:03 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Personal Finance Software
Replies: 2
Views: 597

Personal Finance Software

What do you guys use? I used MS Money for a few years, but it's support ended and it stopped interfacing with my bank. Mint.com was ok, but not great and then a bug hit my account. Their support's been dicking me around for two months now so I'm frustrated and want to try something else. I just trie...
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:45 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: More CPS bad behavior
Replies: 26
Views: 1719

Re: More CPS bad behavior

Why wait fort the skinned knee. Lets just open up investigations on ALL parents with kids. Or how about we open up investigations on all poor uneducated minority parents (statistically more prone to abusing their children). It was Nicholas Cage and yes I realize that it was because he was acting vi...
by Sarvis
Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:58 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: More CPS bad behavior
Replies: 26
Views: 1719

Re: More CPS bad behavior

funny how hit turned into beat. a "MINOR" abrasion (skinned knee) or a quarter sized equivalent abrasion on the forehead is now beating if you admit to having "hit" your child. Main Entry: beat Part of Speech: verb Definition: injure by striking Synonyms: bang, bash, bat, batter...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:03 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Republicans, form an orderly queue to apologize
Replies: 18
Views: 1133

Re: Republicans, form an orderly queue to apologize

Lesson not learned, Corth. Now they are questioning his school records: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011 ... -video.php
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: More CPS bad behavior
Replies: 26
Views: 1719

Re: More CPS bad behavior

kiryan wrote:crazy is defending a system and government that is allowed to investigate and exercise dominion over your life/family over a skinned knee.


Sure, if your idea of dominion over your family means getting to beat them.
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:17 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: soda tax
Replies: 5
Views: 559

Re: soda tax

Okay.
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Who's legislating morality now?
Replies: 10
Views: 597

Re: Who's legislating morality now?

kiryan wrote:The argument is only immaterial as long as you accept the current definition.


So you're saying we should base all our arguments on whatever random crap Kiryan makes up, rather than the current reality we are discussing?
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Republicans, form an orderly queue to apologize
Replies: 18
Views: 1133

Re: Republicans, form an orderly queue to apologize

kiryan wrote:Corth... I don't like your answer because it feels inconsistent to me with your general distrust of government. How do you distrust government in most areas then say well Hawaii said he's a citizen so he is one despite the lack of transparency on the issue?


Wow... really?
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:10 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Oh those special interests.
Replies: 127
Views: 7576

Re: Oh those special interests.

kiryan wrote:When you have friends leaving the IT industry to become fire fighters (or longshoremen, 120k a year to unload shipping crates)... you know there is a problem.


Really? That's your yardstick for determining if someone is overpaid or not? It pays more than IT? :roll:
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:58 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: By the people, for the people
Replies: 21
Views: 1666

Re: By the people, for the people

The crux of the issue, and the basic disagreement I have with Sarvis, is what weight we give to private property. Sarvis' mentality is that there is a certain amount of wealth which at it's core is owned by society at large, and it should be distributed equitably. The implication is that people don...
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:53 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?
Replies: 17
Views: 1614

Re: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?

What you don't see the slippery slope that began with swearing on TV, then was people sleeping in the same bed, to really swearing on over the air tv, to tv with gratuitious violence and sex, to mtv skins where they got child actors to act out extremely sexual content + celebrate a drug sub culture...
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:31 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?
Replies: 17
Views: 1614

Re: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?

You recognize that while it may be a logical fallacy, it can also accurately describe reality right? No. Refer to the comic above. The entire reason slippery slope is a logical fallacy is that it doesn't happen. That is delusional. You don't need to look any farther than the TV and MTV Skins. Huh?
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:27 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: By the people, for the people
Replies: 21
Views: 1666

Re: By the people, for the people

I do realize that the tax rate has been as high as 90% in the past. I believe that was during/after wwII? Where is this article you refer to? It doesn't seem to be in your post... I do recall looking for the referenced article but didn't see it. I have read a similar article I believe from the huff...
by Sarvis
Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:46 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: By the people, for the people
Replies: 21
Views: 1666

Re: By the people, for the people

90% holy shit sarvis... you might as well be a communist. I take it that, even after me posting it twice, you don't realize that was the highest tax rate during some of the wealthiest periods in our country's history? And that you didn't read the article which gives arguments about why it would be ...
by Sarvis
Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?
Replies: 17
Views: 1614

Re: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?

kiryan wrote:You recognize that while it may be a logical fallacy, it can also accurately describe reality right?


No. Refer to the comic above. The entire reason slippery slope is a logical fallacy is that it doesn't happen.
by Sarvis
Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:17 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: By the people, for the people
Replies: 21
Views: 1666

Re: By the people, for the people

It's always easy to say that someone else should make the necessary sacrifices or contributions. Whether that is the best course of action is another story. How much exactly do you tax 'the rich'? There is a point when it is obviously counterproductive. Is there? What point is that? This guy makes ...
by Sarvis
Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?
Replies: 17
Views: 1614

Re: Another lesson in bad parenting or do we need more laws?

== mostly i'm highlighting the problem of bad parents. secondly, i'm trying to apply liberal principles in ways they haven't considered because it is a slippery slope. http://www.leftycartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/slippery_slope.png Also, if you have to use outlandish, implausible or impossible s...
by Sarvis
Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:14 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: By the people, for the people
Replies: 21
Views: 1666

Re: By the people, for the people

Ragorn wrote:1,000 is a large enough sample size to achieve statistical significance :)

Please form an orderly queue to complain about the source or make suppositions about the methodology behind the study :)


Where's the line to complain about bias in the media? Conspiracy against Christians/Conservatives?
by Sarvis
Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:48 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: letting science lead the way
Replies: 11
Views: 556

Re: letting science lead the way

Ragorn wrote:Do we need to establish a Truth Council for you too?



It would cut down on all the spam...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Reconciling God and Obama
Replies: 10
Views: 864

Re: Reconciling God and Obama

So you don't disagree with the principles of the Bible, just the fact that people claim its literally true? Like any book of philosophy there are good things and bad things in the Bible. Some were based on the ignorance of the time, some are timeless. Some do more harm than good at this point. The ...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:31 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Reconciling God and Obama
Replies: 10
Views: 864

Re: Reconciling God and Obama

Sarvis, I think the key point here is he said "MORE" perspective than anything else... in a book that liberals and aethiests roundly criticize for being pure poppy cock. You can't get out of this by saying oh he just said the Bible. The Bible = God's word in most judeo christian religions...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

:roll:
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:00 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Organizing for America, in our schools
Replies: 8
Views: 698

Re: Organizing for America, in our schools

It went from 8% agnostic to 15% agnostic. There's still 85% of you out there. The article bemoans their not going to Church, but that doesn't mean they don't consider themselves Christian. For that matter, I remember you saying the Church was wrong on it's interpretation of the Bible and the voice i...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:42 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Muslim vs Mormon and free speech
Replies: 77
Views: 3890

Re: Muslim vs Mormon and free speech

President Obama tells Christian leaders at the Easter Prayer Breakfast that nothing gives him more perspective than the Bible President Obama told Christian leaders at the White House that the Bible gives him perspective more than anything else, including his family. “Children help do that. A stron...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:50 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Muslim vs Mormon and free speech
Replies: 77
Views: 3890

Re: Muslim vs Mormon and free speech

Fair enough. I agree its a bad idea, unfortunately, its a necessary evil. "Officials have asked the court to order Jones to hold his gathering away from the mosque in one of the four "free speech zones" designated by the city of Dearborn for public demonstrations." Huh. Why is t...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:49 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: hmm public money for religious charter schools?
Replies: 34
Views: 1707

Re: hmm public money for religious charter schools?

As long as "unbiased and openly available" doesn't somehow translate to "took out an ad in KKK Monthly..."
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Muslim vs Mormon and free speech
Replies: 77
Views: 3890

Re: Muslim vs Mormon and free speech

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/19/terry-jones-quran-burning_n_851193.html Koran burning pastor wants to hold a protest in front of the mosque. Do you support his right to protest there with a permit.... Yes. There are statements to the effect that he and his church members will be packing (a...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Reconciling God and Obama
Replies: 10
Views: 864

Re: Reconciling God and Obama

== wait a spiritual being (abeit through a book) gives him more perspective than his family? Isn't that crazy town in your guys book? Actually he said the BOOK gives him perspective, not the Deity. Atheists gain perspective through books too, there's this whole field called Philosophy. Plato, Arist...
by Sarvis
Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

That's just it. You believe it's a human, and others don't. You want to make that choice for everyone.

Like I said, I'd never want my baby aborted... but I can see the other argument and understand it's not my decision to make.
by Sarvis
Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:04 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

right... i don't have any ability to differentiate between an individual and a group. Aren't you the one supporting the position that kids are going to have sex and there is nothing we can do about it? No, see? You've read dozens of my posts and still can't even repeat my stance correctly. You're i...
by Sarvis
Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 am
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Spending Cuts
Replies: 41
Views: 1784

Re: Spending Cuts

kiryan wrote:When do you want to do something about it and what do you suggest.


You really still don't get it.

Comprehensive sex ed IS doing something about it. It's the most effective way to reduce teen sex.
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:32 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

If you say so. Part of your problem is a complete inability to differentiate between an individual and a group. I'm a hypocrite because someone else "equivocated away" Geitner's actions. By the same token you can't understand someone thinking differently than you. Perhaps you think that if...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:36 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

Treasury secretary, you know the guy responsible for all the money and who does and doesn't get bailouts, and a very senior democrat congressman Ah, so you were expecting me to leap to his defense because he's on "my side" then? He chose to do something that harms others, an action I'm fu...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

IC. So when Geitner and Rangel didn't pay their taxes... how did you separate those actions from who they are without this "pure mental equivocation"? Well for one I don't know who they are. They should have paid their taxes, and they are probably bad people on some level because they did...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:42 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Taxing the rich won't help, kinda.
Replies: 2
Views: 276

Re: Taxing the rich won't help, kinda.

There's a narrative out there that doesn't seem to have much traction and it basically goes like this... even if you were to tax the rich people at 100%, you can't close the deficit. Glenn Beck did a segment where he talked about taking 100% of the profits of the fortune 500 and 100% of the income ...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:14 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

and lastly, its a sad commentary on conservatives / religious people that attack people instead of behaviors because a Christian should be accepting of all people gay or transgender and disapproving of the sinful behavior. also a sad commentary on these mentally damaged people who have to kill them...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:11 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

and yes I'd prefer that folks not get to the point where they feel like they need to commit suicide, but if that means we have to show support for everyone else's crazy ideas and alternative life styles to keep them from killing themselves, then that's just too bad. You don't have to support someth...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:30 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Re: Conservatism Increases Suicide

How do you justify people dying because you think everyone should live the way you do? How is that different from Muslims bombing you because you want to live differently than they do?
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:45 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: The Real Housewives of Wall Street
Replies: 8
Views: 535

Re: The Real Housewives of Wall Street

Well usually interest rates are loosely tied to the inflation rate. If inflation is high, interest rates go up... Being locked in at a certain interest rate with the inflation rate surpassing that doesn't sounds like making money to me, it sounds like losing money... but I guess what I'm missing he...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:43 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: Conservatism Increases Suicide
Replies: 22
Views: 1156

Conservatism Increases Suicide

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20110418/APN/1104180508?tc=ar I actually find it completely unsurprising. Conservatism is all about everyone being uniform and following the same rules, having the same goals, and believing the same things. Anyone who doesn't think the same is going to be more li...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:25 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: The Real Housewives of Wall Street
Replies: 8
Views: 535

Re: The Real Housewives of Wall Street

kiryan wrote:Hmmm does that work?

You loan $1,000 at 3% and inflation is 10%. after 2 years you've earned $63 and lost $210 in value.


Sure, but the $1,000 would lose the same amount of value either way. So you can either lose $210 and gain $63, or just lose $210.
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:07 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: government nudging you
Replies: 7
Views: 591

Re: government nudging you

Personal anectdote - I live on Long Island and frequently go to NYC. I recently went to a Hooters that had the calories on the menu. I had a very difficult time ordering. The wings that I would have ordered in the past were like 2700 calories and I just couldn't get myself to do it (even though I d...
by Sarvis
Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:54 pm
Forum: Current Events & Politics
Topic: government nudging you
Replies: 7
Views: 591

Re: government nudging you

And yet the initial results of many of these policies have been humbling. Consider the new regulations in New York City requiring restaurants to list the calorie content of all menu items. (Similar regulations were part of the 2010 federal health-care reform legislation.) You have no idea how much ...

Go to advanced search