Space Shuttle Jokes

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Musi
Sojourner
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:01 am

Space Shuttle Jokes

Postby Musi » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:28 pm

Who would be so ignorant to make jokes about people losing their lives so horrifically? :evil: That's just wrong!
Mikayla
Sojourner
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 5:01 am
Location: orange, tx, USA
Contact:

Postby Mikayla » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:43 pm

cuz there are stupid people out there
Kyos
Sojourner
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:01 am
Location: sweden
Contact:

Postby Kyos » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:44 pm

7 people, that new the risks very well going up into SPACE in a shuttle that was like 26 years old...?

I mourn all the poor girls getting raped this very moment, all old ladies getting shot on the street, all people getting runned over by busses.

They deserve all the mourning. Not the well payed bunch of NASA people... (Off course they deserves to be mourned, but the whole issue is blow out of propotions...)
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Feb 03, 2003 7:55 pm

How you mourn and who you mourn is up to you. Please don't degrade somebody else because they mourn for these people. We each have our own reasons for how we feel about any given subject or person. I wish there were no such thing as hate or hunger or anger or violence in the world, but wishes are only waking dreams, and I mourn for those victims as well. If, however, these people have managed to touch my life in a manner that others have not, if they have stirred my dreams and desires and influenced me, then it is not wrong of me to mourn and ask that you at least have some consideration for a short time while the shock and the anger and the sorrow fades. I would do the same for you.
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:01 am

Postby Kossuth » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:06 pm

Nobody ever said those others you mentioned AREN'T getting their appropriate respect and mourning, Kyos. Don't read things I and others haven't typed.
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Salen
Sojourner
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Salen » Mon Feb 03, 2003 8:37 pm

P.S.
Learn the difference between new and knew.

Just a little pissy.
Kyos
Sojourner
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:01 am
Location: sweden
Contact:

Postby Kyos » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:05 pm

Kossuth wrote:Nobody ever said those others you mentioned AREN'T getting their appropriate respect and mourning, Kyos. Don't read things I and others haven't typed.


I'm not even reading the things you do type :P Don't flatter yourself.
Rinon
Sojourner
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:03 am
Location: L.A. California
Contact:

Postby Rinon » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:16 am

I have to agree with ashiwi and i also believe we should mourn yet go on.....if we mourned every person who had a horrible death there is no room for living.
1)The Paladin seeks not only to sacrifice his body for the honorable cause, but his heart and soul as well.
11)The Paladin defends all the people with all his power and means, even to the last measure of that strength, to the last drop of blood.
111)The Paladin seeks with his soul to conform and serve the ideals that he freely chose in his decision to follow the Paladins path.
moritheil
Sojourner
Posts: 4845
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2001 6:01 am

Postby moritheil » Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:24 am

Kyos wrote:
Kossuth wrote:Nobody ever said those others you mentioned AREN'T getting their appropriate respect and mourning, Kyos. Don't read things I and others haven't typed.


I'm not even reading the things you do type :P Don't flatter yourself.


Uh. Do so at your own peril, Kyos.

Don't get me wrong. It's good that you mourn those people. But do you get up every day and say 'oh, more people got shot, more people got used, more people were tortured?' Is that your continual awareness of reality? Or are you just trying to buck the trend here? If that is your continual line of thought, how are you able to live? Why do you go on? What makes you get up in the morning and put food in your mouth?
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Kyos
Sojourner
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2001 6:01 am
Location: sweden
Contact:

Postby Kyos » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:16 am

But do you get up every day and say 'oh, more people got shot, more people got used, more people were tortured?' Is that your continual awareness of reality? Or are you just trying to buck the trend here? If that is your continual line of thought, how are you able to live? Why do you go on? What makes you get up in the morning and put food in your mouth?


No i don't. The thing with the space shuttle is way out of proportions though in media.

Why should they shut down the space program because a few people died? People die everywhere everyday. These few people did not mean more, than anyone else dying.
Baikalisan
Sojourner
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2001 5:01 am
Contact:

Postby Baikalisan » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:17 pm

Ya know what, im not going to even bother.

Idiot. :x
Abue
Sojourner
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 5:01 am

Re: Space Shuttle Jokes

Postby Abue » Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:18 pm

Musi wrote:Who would be so ignorant to make jokes about people losing their lives so horrifically? :evil: That's just wrong!


What a liberal comment. There is a huge difference between being ignorant and having a lot of discontent for both the NASA agency and the US government. It is sad when people die like that. It is sad when things like September 11 happen. Both situations happened because of Washingtons failures. The irony of the whole situation is that this problem probably happened because NASA is such a poorly run government agency and is underfunded to meet its needs. Both reasons make NASA a government agency that needs to be scrutinized. Afterall, there still flying the same style of rust bucket that blew up in the mid 80's. Today they are saying that it was a piece of insulation that damaged the heat shield during take off. They knew about that happening for years. They knew it could be a serious safetly issue yet they choose to ignore it. They had people saying that there was some serious safety issues with the shuttle so they fired them. It is not the people who make political cartoons/jokes about NASA in the aftermath of an event like this that have the lack of respect for human life, it is NASA. I truely believe NASA stand for Need Another Seven Astronauts and should seriously be shut down until both NASA and the US government become more dedicated to the missions. They need to take this more seriously and put more resources into the space program if there going to continue to do it.
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin
Posts: 150
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:01 am

Postby Kossuth » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:13 pm

Your opinion regarding the lack of resources and the need for better dedication is shared by many, including myself. I fully expect that the next few months will bring additional funding and perhaps even some redesigning of spacecraft, etc., so this doesn't happen again. I wouldn't say that scrapping the space program entirely is a good idea and/or likely to happen, but I agree more work and financial backing does need to be put in.

However, the fact remains that joking about it is simply not welcome here, and any posts by anybody that make light of the situation WILL be removed.

Anyway, this is good discussion! Keep it up!
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator



Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Daz
Sojourner
Posts: 1942
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 5:01 am
Location: newark, delaware
Contact:

Postby Daz » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:44 pm

Why should they shut down the space program because a few people died? People die everywhere everyday. These few people did not mean more, than anyone else dying.


that statement is wrong. these people DID mean something more than just anyone. these people were astronauts, the explorers of our generation. they represented our childhood dreams of touching the stars, they represented all the ambition that the human race can muster.

the loss of these astronauts means more than you think it does. when they died, it was a crushing blow to the morale of our dreamers, and although you may not be one of them, those dreamers are the sculptors of our future. they will build and shape the path of humanity, and given the time and the means, these astronauts will take us to our next level.

their death meant a LOT more than anyone else dying, some people just won't ever be blessed enough to know it.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Zolth
Sojourner
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:01 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Postby Zolth » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:17 pm

Daz wrote:that statement is wrong. these people DID mean something more than just anyone. these people were astronauts, the explorers of our generation. they represented our childhood dreams of touching the stars, they represented all the ambition that the human race can muster.

the loss of these astronauts means more than you think it does. when they died, it was a crushing blow to the morale of our dreamers, and although you may not be one of them, those dreamers are the sculptors of our future. they will build and shape the path of humanity, and given the time and the means, these astronauts will take us to our next level.

their death meant a LOT more than anyone else dying, some people just won't ever be blessed enough to know it.


And this is where I belive you are wrong Daz. I do agree with you that these people are explorers of our generation and that the work they are doing are very important to us all as well. However, the part that I think your wrong about is that they mean more then anyone else dying. I think that someone defending their family from genocide, protect their contry from invasion (Speaking from a neutral contrys P.O.W here. Sweden dosen't participate in war with the exception of peacekeeping forces.) and people that are starving to death because you and I want a better oil price or cheeper import of products made in contrys that dosen't have the high standard that we in the western countrys are used to. We whine about internet connections beeing slow, cars not working properly, airplanes beeing delayed when the real problems are starvation of the children of this world, the world itself that is about to go to hell since someone wanna nuke someone else.

Perhaps our only solution is to find life in another galaxy to save mankind from extinction.. I don't know the answer to that, and I don't belive you do eighter. What we can do about it is trying to solve the problems we have in our own backyard before we start moving to another house. Moving won't solve the problem. Deal with the problem before we have to move so the landlord or the bank can't take our house.

Ok, I'm rambling..
thanuk
Sojourner
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:01 am
Contact:

Re: Space Shuttle Jokes

Postby thanuk » Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:18 pm

Abue wrote:Both situations happened because of Washingtons failures. The irony of the whole situation is that this problem probably happened because NASA is such a poorly run government agency and is underfunded to meet its needs.


That's right, when in doubt, blame the government!

They should've been able to predict the future!

Seriously. You and people like you are the ones who will scream at the government for going cheap on everything, blaming lack of funding for the reason things go sour. And then when they say they are going to raise your taxes to pay for it, you'll scream bloody murder about that too.

No amount of planning can predict or prevent indicents like the ones you so easily blame on the federal government. There is no field test that will mimic the situation which caused the space shuttle to explode. Should they have used a 20 year old rocket? Probably not, but i didn't hear anyone questioning it the day before they launched it. Hindsight is 20/20.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
belleshel
Sojourner
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Northeast

Postby belleshel » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:11 pm

There was a 1 in 250 chance (according to NASA 2002 estimates) of a catastrophic accident occurring on any US space flight. Those aren't real long odds. This isn't the governments fault, if anyone can be blamed its the American Public, we forced politicians to slash budgets, push back new better launch procedures/vehicles. I can't understand how this can be such a big story 3 days after the accident, I can barely get any news on other more important situations with the round the clock media blitz on this story.

Contrary to many people I don't consider this a horrific loss of life. Maybe I'm numb, or not very compassionate but only 7 people died. 7 people that died quickly (some say instantly with a hull breach) heroes to a country. More than 1500 people die from cancer every DAY in the United States, a far more painful, anonymous death. 7 Marines die defending this country in a chopper accident and its lucky to get top billing for the day. A 7 fatality car accident might not even make the front page of the regional paper.

Rationalizing in an irrational world,
Belle Comfortably Numb
fildur
Sojourner
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2001 6:01 am
Location: rinkeby

Postby fildur » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:41 pm

Daz wrote: these people DID mean something more than just anyone. these people were astronauts, the explorers of our generation. they represented our childhood dreams of touching the stars, they represented all the ambition that the human race can muster.


john glenn, niel armstrong and buzz aldrin did represent our childhood dreams. juri gagarin too. nowdays space travel is close to routine, this, however, doesnt make the hurt less to the beloved ones of the dead astronauts.

todays astronauts has as much common with gagarin as joe pilot has in common with biggles. it sure is out of proprsion to talk about theese astronauts in the same way, people dont even know their names, just as people dont know the names of the thousands of children starving to death every day. sure, every death is a tragedy, and it is allways a tragedy to those who know or have a special relation to the people in question. the thing that we can do when someone is touched by that someone that the person can relate to dies is just hangin around.

Daz wrote:their death meant a LOT more than anyone else dying, some people just won't ever be blessed enough to know it.


as stated above, the recent deaths of joe strummer and joey ramone, my teenage heroes, meant more.

/fildur
Vahok
Sojourner
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:01 am
Location: guelph,ontario,canada

Postby Vahok » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:50 pm

O.K. I'm gonna be blunt here...7 people lost their lives...get over it.
These people died doing what they love, so I can only wish I could go out like that. The media has made this a much bigger event than it was in my opinion. Mourning is O.K., I do feel bad for there families, but over a week of media coverage? If this wasn't a space accident, how much press would be given to a 20 car pileup involving 7 deaths on a freeway? Not much I'm afraid, but it is still a horrible thing. Yes, it was a terrible thing...let's move on. These people knew the risks, are payed well for the risks, and accepted the risks.
Meatshield
Teyaha
Sojourner
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Teyaha » Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:57 pm

i cant tell what's more insulting to my senses - the content of this thread, or the fact that the thread even exists.


Opinions are like assholes, and everyone has one.
Liran
Sojourner
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Liran » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:23 pm

The space shuttle's are one of the icons of America and the loss of one(now two) of them is very significant. The seven people who died did go out doing what they love, they knew how dangerous it was and all the risks involved. They did choose to do this, but I suspect that they each had a belief beyond their own personal fame that they were doing their part to help the rest of us and make our lives better. Our future will be in space and they are trying to get us there. For that reason alone I beleive they should be mourned. Now if we put the loss of life, and the billions of dollars aside for an instant, it is receiving more coverage than a car wreck or military figures because that has (unfortunatly) become commonplace in the world and we are nearly immune to it (oh look another war). To have a space shuttle discinterate at 12k mph is, for lack of a better word, a spectacular display.
Mourn as you see fit, don't dwell on it if you do. Life will go on, the problems will be resolved, and more shuttles will be launched.

-Lman
Musi
Sojourner
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:01 am

Postby Musi » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:29 pm

Teyaha wrote:i cant tell what's more insulting to my senses - the content of this thread, or the fact that the thread even exists.


I just wanted to know if there was anyone insensitive enough to make jokes about the 7 astronauts that died on Saturday. I know that people die all the time, from many different things, but I don't go around making fun of the way they died, etc... :?

Just like if someone you loved were to die in a horrible wreck. How would you feel if some ahole came up to you and said "Gee, what was the last thing that went through their mind? The steering wheel." I just think people need to be respectful. Whether or not you mourn these 7 people that lost their lives in front of who knows how many people, just remember that people will always die and hopefully when we do, it will be quick, and our bodies will be intact for our loved ones to retrieve.
Silsaterur
Sojourner
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Postby Silsaterur » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:32 pm

I agree with daz on this point, they weren't just people that died, they were simbols of the human spirit to strive to overcome all boundaries, including our earthly ties. That same pioneer spirit that has gotten mankind as far as it has, that endevour to do more because you can.

I have always had that self same facination with the stars, and because of people like them, I know that nothing is impossible. Impossible just takes longer. I don't know about you, but I get the nasa channel, and I woke up just to watch the shuttle land.

So no, as individuals, they are just people who died in the line of duty, but now, those stars are just a little bit further away...
Veh
Sojourner
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:14 am

Postby Veh » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:19 am

All life is sacred and should be treated as such. Even in those we can't stand to be around or listen to.
Ragorn
Sojourner
Posts: 4732
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:20 am

I'm not sure which offends me more, the jokes or the censorship.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Abue
Sojourner
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Abue » Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:07 pm

Ragorn, I think they have every right to delete posts and threads as they feel fit. However, there was never any jokes or comments that I know of that were direct attacks at the astronauts. Only one item that I know of that was posted on the forums and it was a direct attack at NASA. There was never any mention or implied mention of the actual astronauts. The announcement that was made by a staff member made it sound like there was a problem. I don't even know if many people even got a chance to see what was posted. I think that staff member should have just deleted the post, as was his right, and not advertise what he did.

Musi, there was a thread but it wasn't a direct attack at the dead like your example. There was no direct or implied attack at the astronauts. There was a direct attack at NASA. There was a small implied message that the astronauts were victoms and that NASA could have done more overall to make the space shuttle safer.

And for Republicans like Thanuk, it is well known that people can't predict the future and hind sight is 20/20. However, between NASA and the funding it should have recieved from the Federal Government they could have made the shuttle more safer. There are many serious safety issues known by NASA that have been ignored. The space shuttle is a model T in a modern world and probably could be redesigned a little.
Last edited by Abue on Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanuk
Sojourner
Posts: 1902
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:01 am
Contact:

Postby thanuk » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:40 pm

Abue wrote:And for liberals like Thanuk, it is well known that people can't predict the future and hind sight is 20/20.


Actually, I'm a republican. You'll notice my stance is in support of the federal government. Whereas you, in a stance against the federal government, would be in the liberal position.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'

You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'

Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'

You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest