Of Java and Visual Basic

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Nikelon
Sojourner

Of Java and Visual Basic

Postby Nikelon » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:54 am

I just signed up for my classes next year, and I'm taking Computer Science 1 AP which is switching over to Java from VB 6.0 starting next year. Call me ignorant, but wouldn't VB .NET be a better choice if they were to change it? It would seem to me that web-integrated windows-based programming (which, with VBScript, is just as browser-integrated as Java) would be more effective.

I might be missing something here, so can anyone explain the benefits of Java vs VB?
[46 Invoker] Nikelon Zol'Lek -Dark Lightning- Rising Phoenix (Human)
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:34 am

oops, i was tired when i read this
Last edited by Daz on Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Java vs VB

Postby Azenilsee » Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:38 am

Hmm, difficult comparison, though you are correct that they should be teaching VB.NET due to the only reason that VB 6.0 classes and functions will be deprecated once VB.NET is marketed extensively to developers (actually, it's happening right now). I think one of the reasons your college is making the switch is probably for easier prototyping of interfaces for Windows-based applications, which is harder to do with Java and its Swing API.

However, having said that, my personal opinion is Java teaches a more correct way of OOP programming due to the strong compiler debugging (type-checking and implementation of class/methods/functions). Java also has a lot of fundamental APIs that force you to do everything correctly, rather than hacking just to make things work. Also, deploying VB applications is a nightmare, with the correct runtime DLLs that you need to distribute with your program.

VB.NET is heading this way (strong type-checking and stuff), and from what I hear from Java developers its a pretty good language (VB.NET or C#, whichever) to do stuff in.

Both languages are also the background for its web implementation, with VB.NET being an implementation that's ready for the web, and Java has its JSP/Servlets implementation.

My unasked advice? Learn both. There's a lot to gain from having insights to the two languages, and you'll come out better for it. I'm partial towards Java due to the compile once, run anywhere mantra, but VB.NET is also going there with its CLR (Common Language Runtime) model.
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:04 am

Good old jave is almost the same as C#.

IF you learn Java, you wont have any problem adepting to C#.

If the choice was between VB.net and C#, I would have choosen C#, cause there's stuff you cant do in vb.net which u can do in C#.

Again Java= Almost a like C# languagewise.

/Colje

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”