Modem Lag

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Lasar
Sojourner

Modem Lag

Postby Lasar » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:23 am

Okies here's the deal... I got a new computer for x-mas. And ever since then I have been lagging severely with the mud esp when I go to do xping or zones (when I usually need to be lagfree). Occasionally AIM and ICQ lag also but the mud seems to be ALWAYS lagging.
The comp is a Sony Vaio w/ an internal Lucent Technologies Soft Modem AMR. It is frustrating beyond belief since my old comp (PowerMac 6100 w/ external modem rarely lagged this much.) Anyone have any suggestions since turning all bu zMud off doesnt seem to help much?
Adilmir

You cleave a purple goat in twain with your flaming blade!
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:46 am

get cable
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:27 am

seriously, cable internet is cheap enough now that it really isn't even a debate. i was with family over the holidays helping fix their computers, and it was just mind numbing. spending 2-3 hours downloading a patch that would have taken me seconds on my cable modem.

to your issue however, did you install any speed or performance accelerators on your computer? i might wonder if zmud is having a problem interacting with your computer - is it an older version of zmud? have you checked zuggsoft to see if your version has any compatability issues with xp (new computer - i am assuming here).

have you tried downloading gmud or mudmaster to verify that it is with your computer, and not zmud?

shrug, i don't use zmud - but i DO run winxp, and i don't have performance issues - so i am eyeballing zmud or your dial-up connection/configuration here, as those are the different keys.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Shargaas
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Shargaas » Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:00 am

One possibility is extra latency being caused by the modem, but that is very unlikely.

I think your problem is zmud which comes set up with its defaults for a POS graphics card. I forgot which menu contains the screen buffering options but if you mess around with the configuration for a while you should find a solution.

6100 hehe

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”