I hate snow!!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.

How do you feel about snow?

I love snow!
54%
Snow is ok.
12%
I hate snow!
30%
What is snow?
4%

Total votes: 57
Musi
Sojourner

I hate snow!!

Postby Musi » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:49 pm

I'm in WV and so far, we have about 24" of snow right now (not including the drifts up to and over 6') and we're supposed to get another foot tonight and into tomorrow!! :shock: The worst part is, we're going to get up into the 40's in a couple days and all this is supposed to melt, so we're going to have massive floods as well (the lower part of the state is already having flooding problems). AND the state has used almost all of the salt and cinders allotted for this year because we've had 1-3" every few days since Thanksgiving. :x

I was just wondering if anyone else is stuck in their homes because of snow and if so, how are you coping? :roll: Luckily, my hubby is home safe with me :mrgreen: No school tomorrow!! WOO HOO!! :D
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:32 am

Man you people make me sick... the whole world ends when you get 1 foot of snow? Honestly...

Twinshadow
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:35 am

Tasan wrote:Man you people make me sick... the whole world ends when you get 1 foot of snow? Honestly...

Twinshadow

Live in Texas. If we see a flurry, everything shuts down quicker than you can die. And you die pretty damn quick.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:24 am

Snow is good for you, try some :) *cackle*
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:52 pm

Tasan wrote:Man you people make me sick... the whole world ends when you get 1 foot of snow? Honestly...

Twinshadow

No, we have 2.5 FEET of snow :roll: Not including the snow drifts up to 8 feet now and it's still snowing :evil: Also I said we have 24" of snow earlier, so how does that equal a foot?
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:28 pm

Musi wrote:
Tasan wrote:Man you people make me sick... the whole world ends when you get 1 foot of snow?

Also I said we have 24" of snow earlier, so how does that equal a foot?

It's a plot by the state of Minnesota. If folks knew how much snow they really had, everybody would leave the state. So they measure it in inches but then convert 24" = 1'.
Dlur
Sojourner

snow rules

Postby Dlur » Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:35 pm

I'm from MN, and if you knew how little snow we've had this year you'd laugh, but in years past I remember when the snow was so deep that even on major highways there was only 1 lane most of the because the snow was deeper on the road (minus drifts) than the plows were tall. They had to bring in special rotary plows to blow the snow since there was no where to plow it to.

It was very eerie driving down the roads like that because if you met a car there was really nowhere to meet until you got to a spot where a bulldozer had been brought in to push the snow back so there was a place to meet. Also the snow was 10-12' in some areas so it was like driving in a tunnel of white.

The state eventually had to bring dozers in to clear off all the roads and the railways had to do the same since the rail company's rotary plows couldn't even handle the sheer amount of snow.

During one of the storms that created this mass of snow I was blocked inside my basement appartment for 2 weeks straight. I was unable to open the door to get out. Luckily I had gotten a few cases of Mt Dew and a few cartons of smokes and just played Toril for the entire time. Great fun!
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:30 pm

dont hate the snow...hate the shoveling you have to do.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:53 pm

Snow pwns you. I'm outta school for two days at least, which means I will have had a five day weekend, a two day week, and another three day weekend by next Sunday. That's awesome. Plus all of the cars are covered in snow, I got to pee in the snow and watch it steam (and write my name), and I got to romp through other non-yellow snow, and then there's cocoa, and fire for those of you with fireplaces. Then there's stuff like pelting your friends with snowballs, building snowmen, making snow angels, yeah. How cool is that? Of course snow rocks.

- Grungar "Frank Zappa was a wise wise man" Forgefire
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:20 pm

I got out of work early and probably won't be going in tomorrow either since the storm will still be going in the morning. Forecast is 18-24" here in MA, and we've got almost a foot so far with heaviest yet to come.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:46 pm

Im in cincinnati, and we dont get the volume of snow that alot of places get, but we get really bad combos of snow... like these last 2 days, we get about an inch of solid ice on everything, then about 2'' of snow, then ice, then snow, then ice, then snow, etc... its because storm fronts from the west and from the south meet right here, and we sometimes get 2 types of weather alternating... its really been shitty!

-g
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:12 am

ok, snow sucks bigtime, so? so does life, so does bill gates mom.

the only thing strange is how some people seems to panic over a couple of feet snow. whats the problem? close schools? why? cant the kids read if its white outside? we never closed a school over some snow, sounds plain silly to me... cmon, now, just some snow, live with it, wear some clothes, keep dry and warm, nothing to it.
/fil
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:34 pm

A couple of weeks ago we got 14" of snow where I live. I had to get up a couple of hours earlier but I still managed to clear my driveway with my John Deere with snow blower attachment. I made it to work only an hour late. I guess snow is only as bad as you make it. If your community is ready for such a thing then things go ok. The only problem I encountered was at my work. Just yesterday I got a bitch letter from Human Resourses saying I was in violation of company policy for coming in late on that snow day. Plus late the next day because the roads were all littered with accidents. There was a spot at the bottom to write a responce and sign. I drew a middle finger and then signed it.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:08 pm

I love snow.
Each snowflake is apparently unique, and the way the sun glitters off all types of different snow as its falling, and as it lays on the earth is wonderous.
My hometown area never gets snow.
The highest mountains nearby there are 3 hrs drive west, and they occasionally get snow during the coldest days of winter.
The nearest snow ski resorts are like 9 hrs drive away.
Yet snow skiing is my favourite thing.
Snow on skiable terrain is the best :)
BEER
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue Feb 18, 2003 7:57 pm

I used to like snow, until this morning, when I had to shovel a path from my house to my car, then from my car to the road. Snow plows put a 4ft packed snow bank right at the end of my driveway. Bah. The snow is purty though!

I'll always love snow, but not to the extent that I did before I had to shovel several tons of it.
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:46 pm

Arizona tells you 'what is this snow stuff they're talking about? :('
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:54 am

Snow is good, wish some more of what's on the eastern seaboard was in the Colorado Mountains, would help with our drought.

But hey, we got an inch tonight here, and have had some more this month than most of the year. We're actually approaching 80% of our normal snow pack at this time of year.

Now we just have to get to 100%, then start catching up from the miniscule ammount we got last year...

Toplack

Come on Snow!
"In the immortal words of Socrates, I drank What?!" Real Genius
Lazus
Sojourner

Postby Lazus » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:30 am

ssar wrote:The highest mountains nearby there are 3 hrs drive west, and they occasionally get snow during the coldest days of winter.

Heh, on the coldest or even average days of winter here in Minnesota, it's too cold to snow. That's the only reason I like when it's snowing is because I know it's not gonna be so damn cold out.

Lazus Al'Medin - Maybe I should worship Auril instead of Lathander... nah.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:13 pm

You know it's all well and good to joke when 2' of snow closes things down ..

consider the fact most of these areas don't have snow plows, etc ... it becomes very hazardous when you don't know how to drive in it (and why would we if we were from South Carolina?) Most South Carolinians will look at you blankly if you ask them if the area has snowplows ...

Also if they have snowplows (i live in Va now ..we have them) typically the neighborhoods arent plowed (or they are plowed IN), so it's more dangerous to get out of your neighborhood than it is to drive on the higway

I remember school shutting down for three days with 3/4 inch of snow one year ... sure it was fun to play in but .... to drive in??

My school was about 6 miles out in the country ... so we had to use school buses to get there. Being that the legal age to drive in SC is 16, the county or city (not sure which) allowed teenagers to drive our buses (seniors i think)

With this in mind .. do you really want a 17/18 year old to drive a school bus in the snow and ice??

Better safe that sorry in my book
kanenan
Sojourner

Postby kanenan » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:32 pm

Wahnkahs!!

hell when i was 4 i was skill *** dual wield snowshovel witha 1/4 km ( hey,250meters ) driveway. october - march. EVERYDAY.

" Yu... Move to tha north side. "
i herd chix dig icicles......... %P
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:50 pm

Ambar wrote:You know it's all well and good to joke when 2' of snow closes things down ..

consider the fact most of these areas don't have snow plows, etc ... it becomes very hazardous when you don't know how to drive in it (and why would we if we were from South Carolina?) Most South Carolinians will look at you blankly if you ask them if the area has snowplows ...

Also if they have snowplows (i live in Va now ..we have them) typically the neighborhoods arent plowed (or they are plowed IN), so it's more dangerous to get out of your neighborhood than it is to drive on the higway

I remember school shutting down for three days with 3/4 inch of snow one year ... sure it was fun to play in but .... to drive in??

My school was about 6 miles out in the country ... so we had to use school buses to get there. Being that the legal age to drive in SC is 16, the county or city (not sure which) allowed teenagers to drive our buses (seniors i think)

With this in mind .. do you really want a 17/18 year old to drive a school bus in the snow and ice??

Being from SC, I hear ya! OMG, 1/2 inch! Snow day!!!!!!!! People rampage the grocery stores, building shelters, kids making snowmen with grass and pinestraw covering the bodies of the snowmen. Excellent!

Ya know, growing up down south and going to school with a ton of yankees screaming "Damn rednecks can't drive in an inch of snow, always wrecking" and then moving up north.... I realize, you yankees are exactly the same. Only the south has snow for 4-8 hours on the ground before it melts. In the first few days of snow here in RI, you'll see wrecks, people sliding, not knowing what the hell their doing, same as you do down south. Of course, it stays around, and people get used to driving in it, and so, no more wrecks. Yankees are just as bad as southerners the first few days of snow storms! You just have more time to practice!
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:34 pm

I live 90 minutes from Tahow where the snow is plentiful, but there is none here. I can't possibly fathom how people live in the snow. Granted it can be done, but give me the 100+ heat over snow anyday. At least you can strip down and cool off. I suppose there my be a snuggle factor that has benefits in snow-covered towns, but that would probably work out against me as I am always the warm one (don't even think of putting your ice feet on me!).

Toarn
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:38 pm

Keran wrote:I suppose there my be a snuggle factor that has benefits in snow-covered towns, but that would probably work out against me as I am always the warm one (don't even think of putting your ice feet on me!).

Toarn

Haha! After 5 hours of shoveling the driveway (didn't even get 1/2 done), my hubby and I came in to snuggle and warm up. Since he was much warmer than me, so I put my icy cold feet on his and he jumped about 12 feet. :twisted: He's my warm snuggly bear :oops:
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:26 pm

Ambar wrote:You know it's all well and good to joke when 2' of snow closes things down ..
*snip*

My school was about 6 miles out in the country ... so we had to use school buses to get there.
*snip*

6 miles is a 40 min walk, you should try it, thats safe.../fil
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:50 am

*leans back in chair enjoying fourth snow day, seventh day of a 10 day weekend, idly clicking through websites pondering what to for spring break*

Yeah, snow rocks.

- Grungar "I need to learn how to walk on the ice" Forgefire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:23 am

Heh, when I was in high school i created a snow day.

It was snowing one night and it was one of those situations where people weren't sure if school was going to close down the next day. Anyway, I used to hack out the answering machines at my school for shits and giggles and put obscene stuff on the outgoing message. Its pretty easy to do, even with todays answering machines. Usually its just a two digit number. Anyway, I changed the answering machine for every school and administrative office in the district to say that 'due to inclement weather' the school district would be closed. Sure enough, school wasn't closed.. and I was one of the few people to show up (so I could 3nj0y mightily). Funny thing is that although I told only a few of my better friends, eventually the info that I was the culprit got to one of my teachers. I didnt get in any trouble though. He got a day out of work cause of my mischief so he thanked me! :)

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:10 am

Snow??? Whats that?

No snow here, in Hawaii

Surfs up :)

Nilan
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:09 pm

fildur wrote:6 miles is a 40 min walk, you should try it, thats safe.../fil

damn u walk fast! thats less than a 7 minute mile walking! go you!! Hell im lucky if i get a 10 minute mile jogging
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:48 pm

I generally like snow. Which is good 'cause I grew up in the Catskills and still live in upstate New York. But 24 inches on Christmas Day (woot, White Christmas) and another 24 inches on top of that the following week on New Years' Day kinda sucks. Add to that the fact that the snow is STILL on the ground from Christmas and I had to shovel a hella long driveway both times and I begin to grumble. And did I mention we got another foot of it on my birthday on the 17th?

Says Thanuk upon arriving in Albany from LI: "Dude, what the f*ck's up with this snow???"

This winter's been horrible for upstate New York :( I'm looking into an early retirement community in Florida where they accept 20-somethings.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”