Best Real Time Strategy Game?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.

Best real time strategy game?

Warcraft 2
6%
Starcraft
42%
Age of Empires
9%
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
No votes
Total Annihilation
9%
Command And Conquor(sp)
15%
Warcraft 3
18%

Total votes: 33
Gerad
Sojourner

Best Real Time Strategy Game?

Postby Gerad » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:01 am

Vote away!
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:04 am

You're forgetting the father of all RTS's: Dune 2.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:47 am

Starcraft owns ALL.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:19 pm

Starcraft is the bomb.
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:49 pm

starcrap sux0rs, total annihilation and warcraft are awesome, red alert and c&c are great also :)
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Yadir
Sojourner

Postby Yadir » Fri Feb 28, 2003 1:58 pm

Age of Mythology
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:58 pm

I'll always have a soft spot for command and conquer, and I never seem to get tired of it!
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:13 pm

you know ashiwiwiwiwiwiwiwi i feel like that with warcraft :)
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:13 pm

Yadir wrote:Age of Mythology

I LOVE that game :D I wonder (hope) that they make a AOE 3. That'd be supa sweet! 8)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:19 pm

I had to go with Command and Conquer. The second one was the shit.. though it took me a while to figure out that Tonya wasn't saying 'crotch rot!' when you clicked on her.

Corth (uhhhhhhfirmative)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:36 pm

They all suck :)

I'd vote for Europa Universalis if it was actually there tho...

But real-time strategy games usually aren't included in the RTS genre, go figure. :)
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:10 pm

Shevarash wrote:They all suck :)

I'd vote for Europa Universalis if it was actually there tho...

But real-time strategy games usually aren't included in the RTS genre, go figure. :)

rts = real time strategy, not retarted turn strategy

Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:42 pm

Yadir and Musi, either of you play on ESO much?
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:39 am

Gerad wrote:

Well...

1) EU is both real-time and strategic.

2) All of the above mentioned games in the poll are tactical combat games. RTS is a misnomer.

3) I was only kidding when I said they sucked. They're just not my thing, and the false label applied to them gives real strategy games a bad name. :)
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:27 am

WC3 > SC
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:54 am

Europa Universalis 2 blows away the first one. I wish that the WW2 game that was done by the same developers would be released up here in Canada. Been searching for it and been rejected mightily every time. :(

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:26 am

For me, the best has been, and prolly always will be, Dune II. Nothing has been able to touch it.

Origional C&C was awesome (didn't like redalert)...Warcraft is great, Starcraft is one of the best. I was always a big fan of Master of Magic (MoM) and Heroes of Might and Magic III, but those are turn based, vs real time.

Folks growing up around my hometown were always into Harpoon...which was cool for a while, but I got bored with it.

-G
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:49 am

Pfft, you mean they're logistics games Shev. They depend on keeping a force well maintained and replacing losses quickly. Tactical combat is something like X-Com. 8)

Heh, Dune 2 . . . nothing like running over enemy infantry with vehicles. I never really did anything other than do that and watch the opening cinematic on my stepbrother's computer.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:58 am

xcom rocked, all those other games listed are gay
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:40 am

Shevarash wrote:
Gerad wrote:

Well...

1) EU is both real-time and strategic.

2) All of the above mentioned games in the poll are tactical combat games. RTS is a misnomer.

3) I was only kidding when I said they sucked. They're just not my thing, and the false label applied to them gives real strategy games a bad name. :)

Real time strategy... as in it is a strategy game that happens in actual time...?

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:08 am

From a design standpoint, Starcraft if clearly the most innovative. Most other RTS feature a bunch of ambiguous "race" selections, identical except for a few minor aspects. Age of Empires is a good game, but IMO it suffers from a lot of mirror-image choices. The difference between civilizations is like how many villagers they start with, or their special "castle" unit, or maybe one gets extra catapult technology or something. Starcraft featured three unique races with almost no common thread. The races were astonishingly well balanced considering their dissimilar playing styles... you could never point to a race and say "they're the best" without someone else coming along and rock-paper-scissoring you into next week.

I enjoy WC3 because the interface is what every RTS SHOULD be. You can command group buildings and hotkey them, a feature missing in many other games. Selecting a group and choosing an action (such as grouping 3 sorceresses and hitting the button for Polymorph) only causes one of them to act and not all... no wasted spell points. I'm not particularly fond of the gameplay aspect, but the interface is smooth and easy to use. I also enjoy the versatility of the map editor, some of the custom maps are more fun than games I've actually purchased.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:27 am

Gerad wrote:Real time strategy... as in it is a strategy game that happens in actual time...?

Which part am I not clear on? :)

You are thinking of Civilization perhaps. EU plays in real time, not turn-based. You can change the time compression and pause it as well. :)

And whoever couldn't find Hearts of Iron (the WWII version of EU, heh), try some online retailers. It's definitely worth picking up if you're into that kind of thing. :)
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:50 am

Drakkoth wrote:Yadir and Musi, either of you play on ESO much?

ESO? Not sure what it stands for :oops:
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:21 pm

Shevarash wrote:
Gerad wrote:Real time strategy... as in it is a strategy game that happens in actual time...?

You are thinking of Civilization perhaps. EU plays in real time, not turn-based. You can change the time compression and pause it as well. :)

And whoever couldn't find Hearts of Iron (the WWII version of EU, heh), try some online retailers. It's definitely worth picking up if you're into that kind of thing. :)

im just not sure why starcraft wouldnt be that...

Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:15 pm

Gerad wrote:
Shevarash wrote:

im just not sure why starcraft wouldnt be that...

Main Entry: strat·e·gy
Pronunciation: -jE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -gies
Etymology: Greek stratEgia generalship, from stratEgos
Date: 1810
1 a (1) : the science and art of employing the political, economic, psychological, and military forces of a nation or group of nations to afford the maximum support to adopted policies in peace or war (2) : the science and art of military command exercised to meet the enemy in combat under advantageous conditions b : a variety of or instance of the use of strategy
2 a : a careful plan or method : a clever stratagem b : the art of devising or employing plans or stratagems toward a goal
3 : an adaptation or complex of adaptations (as of behavior, metabolism, or structure) that serves or appears to serve an important function in achieving evolutionary success <foraging strategies of insects>

Main Entry: tac·tics
Pronunciation: 'tak-tiks
Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Etymology: New Latin tactica, plural, from Greek taktika, from neuter plural of taktikos of order, of tactics, fit for arranging, from tassein to arrange, place in battle formation
Date: 1626
1 a : the science and art of disposing and maneuvering forces in combat b : the art or skill of employing available means to accomplish an end
2 : a system or mode of procedure
3 : the study of the grammatical relations within a language including morphology and syntax
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:17 pm

Posting the definition really doesn't make it clear what side you're on, as starcraft seems to fit the definition fine :)
- Ragorn
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:27 pm

As much I love Starcraft/Brood War, I still think Warcraft II and Red Alert are better because they had SEA units oh god.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Mar 01, 2003 4:46 pm

Ragorn wrote:Posting the definition really doesn't make it clear what side you're on, as starcraft seems to fit the definition fine :)

First of all, I love Starcraft and Warcraft alot, and I've played them insane amounts.

However, these games fis the definition of tactics perfectly, but only a limited subset of strategy. Which is fine, cause tactics is a subset of strategy :)

Any educated military officer could explain much better than me about the difference between strategical level, operational level and tactical level.
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”