Newbie Help Channel - Enable!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Koble
Sojourner

Newbie Help Channel - Enable!

Postby Koble » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:43 pm

Semi-Long schpiel… If you get bored, just skip on down to the end and read the summary.

Let’s face it. Sojourn is a huge mud… The thing makes shevy's aft section look like a sidewalk. So while, yes, there are those who know practically the entire area like the back of their hand *coughvazkryncough*, there are those of us (like me!) who did not invest 150 days of playing time into the mud back in the day. I, being the silly newb that I am, have been asking silly newb questions practically nonstop on the nhc since I started playing here seriously a week or two ago.

New players need help with stuff well past level 20. For instance, Vazkryn will need help long after he's stopped mudding. Yet, imagine poor Erinue when he reaches level 21 and can no longer listen to me ask questions like "HOW DO I BACKSTAB?" (rem glowing crimson dagger;put glowing crimson dagger backpack) while sitting at 1w. (yes, I know the character is female. however, the player is a male. in fact, he's one of my brothers. vazkryn being the other.)

Since talking about mud related stuff on the ooc channel is restricted, once you're kicked off the nhc, you have to resort to throwing out random tells. Although the community on Sojourn is incredibly friendly and helpful, it’s still oso much easier to just type something like “nhc Ack! Poison vials seem pretty steep. They worth it?” than to look through the who list for a rogue, send them a tell, find that they just lost link, bring who list up again, find another rogue, ask them, find that they're busy, etc. etc. etc.

Lastly, it’s really annoying not to have a channel you can discuss mud related stuff on. Sometimes I just feel like letting everyone know that I just fumbled my weapon 8 times in two fights, or that Vazkryn is sucking up too much damage xp and needs to be set mountable.

So yeah. To summarize: Newbies don’t magically become un-newbified in between levels 20 and 21 and it’s real annoying not to have a channel you can discuss mud related stuff on after you get kicked off nhc.

Either there should be another ooc type channel where mud related talk is ok, nhc should be opened to all levels, or people should be allowed to request to be put back on the channel after level 20 if they’re not a Sojourn vet.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Apr 10, 2003 8:32 pm

Good points, Koble. Imagine--just a couple of weeks ago NHC was only accessible by levels 10 and below. :)
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:02 pm

Koble,

Just a few tips for you man, you remember all of the help you got on NHC right? Well that help is available to you 24-7 and always has been. Trick? Nope, you just have to ask(best try a few people on the "who 46 good" list) I could give you a list 40+ people who not only know thier sh*t but I'm pretty sure are already on NHC as helpers. So just stick it out, and get a lil more personal in your search for help.

These few are awesome at what they do:

Ashiwi (quester extraordinaire), Lilithelle (worlds greatest solo artist [god?]) Cardolan (friendly and informative, tastes just like chicken), Nokie (he's okie), Muma (as nice as she is crazy), Dalar(don't like him myself, but he knows his sh*t), Ensis (blunt and to the point, good), Ragorn (sincere, funny, ranger?), Selias (could plevel and elf off the island in 14hours), Wuva (a hero worth the name) and last but not least, Morithiel (if this guy tells you 'Consent me, Schpank!' RUN!!!!)

You can try a few evils, but a lot of my experience in dealing with them from the goodie side of the fence has much to be desired (go pinky!!!)

In closing, don't suck, be polite, and ranting makes me sleepy...ZzZ

ps: TML RULE!!!
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:15 pm

You can also do a 'who helper' to see all the helpers online. We answer questions off NHC too. :)
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:16 pm

Oh, and you could also try becoming a newbie helper--they get access to the NHC and I know more than one is there for their own learning benefit as much as to help other newbies below level 20. :)
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:13 pm

What's wrong with my "aft section"?

*pout*
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:08 pm

OMG quick, someone save Shevy's self-image!
muma
Sojourner

well, tough luck

Postby muma » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:00 pm

OK, you can type who helper and send tells to people to ask questions too though, after lvl 20. also, when i was a newbie i learned w/out the newbie help channel and just found out by doing the wrong thing, and you learn that way. probably a better way to learn. so i don't think someone lvl 21 or higher needs the newbie help channel unless they were power leveled :P (so don't power level your n00b friends)
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:38 am

The level you lose NHC at (unless yer a helper) being level 20 is good. It doesnt need to be, and shouldnt be any higher, imo.
BEER
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:25 pm

Shevarash wrote:What's wrong with my "aft section"?

*pout*

Don't worry Shevy, I still have a proposition for you.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”