X-MEN!!!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Birile
Sojourner

X-MEN!!!

Postby Birile » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:44 pm

Okay, so I'm more than a little psyched about the new X-Men movie opening next weekend. I've seen a couple of the trailers and it looks really good in my biased opinion. I'm also excited that one of my favorite X-Men makes an appearance in the movie: Nightcrawler. He's not my favorite--Gambit is by far--but I was wondering who everyone else's favorite is?
Branthur
Sojourner

Gotta love the fuzzy-elf

Postby Branthur » Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:56 pm

Yeah, looks like the movie's gonna be good, now that Singer actually had time and a budget to work with. Really liked the first movie too, but think this one's gonna blow it out of the water. :twisted:

Can't wait to see Nightcrawler..looks like they've got his bamfing down really nice. Unfortunately, even though Colossus is in it, probably won't see any fastball specials. :(
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:19 pm

My favorite was always Gambit growing up, he was such the debanaire(sp). But Nightcrawler is the man - that's the best bloody mutant power you can think of. The movie looks promising - I'll wait for the DVD!;)
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:51 pm

Rogue is my fav :)
then Storm (Shes drow like)

Nilan
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:23 pm

Longshot! Er... wait that's not X-men... is it?

Of the ones in the movie, Cyclops has always been my favorite character, with Logan a close second.

Comic books tho, Bishop was the man. Archangel wasn't far behind.

-Llan
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:18 pm

8)

The X-men movie does look pretty gnarly, but I'd have to say my favorite superhero is tied between The Maxx and Plasticman.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:34 am

Longshot was in the X-men comics, he was not 'officially' and X-Man. Gambit is nothing more than Longshot without the luck. I liked Banshee and Kitty Pryde, Dazzler too. Of course, I'm old.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:03 am

I never read much in the way of comic books, but my stepbrother collected tons of them so I grew up being familiar with them, X-men in particular. Nightcrawler was definately my favorite, though I mainly saw him in Excaliber comics (some of my stepbrother's X-men comics were too far back in storage to reach). Cool power, cool appearance, and good fighting skills independent of his power.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:33 am

What *is* nightcrawlers ability? Wolverine was always my fav, spank me for bein so conformist. But he does kick ass. I thought the beginning of the first film was awesome, was somewhat dissapointed with how the plot unfolded and the limited choice of characters (of all the baddies, why toad?) But still loved the movie. cant wait for this one.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:35 am

oh yeah....wouldnt it be SWEET if they did an x-men versus brood movie? I loved that one wear wolverine got implanted and began to turn but turned back right in front of a tv evangelist. heh.
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:23 pm

You guys should check out the Gen13 series. Thats a very new, very good, comic book. I've got issues 1-20 or so and quit collecting. I'm gonna be rich one day! (thats my retirement fund:) )

Of the X series, like I said, I was partial to Gambit. Forge was definitely awesome, and I love Nightcrawler now. Thinking back though, Omega Red was a decent lil baddie too - and Sauron! OMG! Can we say Turxx On Steroids? (wait...turxx IS on steroids..n/m). I've got an issue of X-Men where Mystique and Forge are at the very end of their love-trist and Mystique gets killed. Thats a keeper there. And I've got a whole slew of old FF comics and such. I need to read 'em again some day.
King Artikerus Blindhammer
---------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'I have no opinion, keeps me out of trouble.'
Malar responds to your petition with 'you die more than a morigroup'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'please go away :P'
Rillifane responds to your petition with 'be the nance.... you are the nance... you are one with the nance...'
Donuktanam
Sojourner

Postby Donuktanam » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:17 pm

gimme some Apocalypse!!!!!!
muma
Sojourner

YEAH!!!!!

Postby muma » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:39 am

Nightcrawler also :) gambit is sweet too!
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:31 pm

Nightcrawler can Dim kinda. He opens a portal to another dimension, steps across it, and comes out in his original dimension somewhere else. It tires him out, and the longer distances are more taxing.
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Sat May 03, 2003 3:31 pm

Saw X2 last night....

*drool*
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat May 03, 2003 4:14 pm

OH GOD KELLY HU IS SO HOT.

btw, can't wait till X3 :P
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Sat May 03, 2003 4:58 pm

What was Forges power? I know he was from the future, half bionic and technologically inclined...but power?

Anyone ever read the comic where Quiksilver is running himself to death? X-Factor, but whatever - good issue.

How come no Jubilee fans?;)
and in the comic, Beast was always one of the best.
muma
Sojourner

w00t

Postby muma » Sat May 03, 2003 6:53 pm

i loved xmen 2 :) and i forgot what else i was going to say.
Es gibt keinen Löffel!
Miax OOC: 'Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Shevarash.'
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat May 03, 2003 9:53 pm

Forge was an inventor who (for the most part) made weapons, including the one that stole Storms powers.

Cable was the toughass from the future who was partially cyborg, are you confusing the two?
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Sun May 04, 2003 12:53 am

No, Forge came from the future as well. I believe I still have the issue - he comes to the past to warn the X-men about something that causes the future to be anti-mutant, he sends Bishop back in time as the messanger, but he made the time-travelin' device.

Speakin' of useless mutants, what was Bishops mutant power as well?!?
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun May 04, 2003 12:57 am

Clan Blindhammer wrote:No, Forge came from the future as well. I believe I still have the issue - he comes to the past to warn the X-men about something that causes the future to be anti-mutant, he sends Bishop back in time as the messanger, but he made the time-travelin' device.

Speakin' of useless mutants, what was Bishops mutant power as well?!?

Pretty sure Bishop's power was the ability to absorb energy and basically redirect it in some sort of blast from his hands. I think it was kinetic or something like that.
Meatshield
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun May 04, 2003 2:11 am

You all do realize of course, how incredibly geeky you come off, even more so than normal for discussing comics, on a bbs for a forgotten realms mud?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Abbayarra
Sojourner

rogue

Postby Abbayarra » Sun May 04, 2003 4:26 am

I feel that she is one of the most powerful and cool X-men!
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Sun May 04, 2003 1:19 pm

I think that was directed at Jubilee (Abayarra)

And Arilin, hush, just the other day you were discussing with me the true merits of a mutant registration law and how cool it would be if you could use YOUR magic powers to make grass grow faster

:lol:
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun May 04, 2003 4:10 pm

Although I liked the older XMen comics, the only comic series I ever really got into was "The Elementals," at least until the original creator seemed to wash his hands of them.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon May 05, 2003 1:34 am

In the comics i loved Storm and liked Rogue a lot! :D Rogue had that funny accent (which is so NOT apparent in the movies :()

In the movies, it's all about Mystique (sp?) She's amazing! I think they really made her into something fun and exciting to watch here! :D The chemistry between her and Magnito is great!

Wolverine was always fun tho. And Hugh Jackman (sp?) is a dream boat! :D )

-LL

Ps. I felt the 2nd movie was miles better then the first. :D
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Mon May 05, 2003 2:29 am

I just saw X2 and it is extremely good, go see it yourself. It's hardly true to the comics, but very enjoyable. (Mystique is much cooler in the comic books.)

In other news, Bishop's power is to absorb and redirect energy. He's just not very creative and usually uses it as a BIG blast from his hands.

Forge's power is to understand and create just about anything, and he's not from the future, but he does survive until the future where he sends Bishop back to attempt to save Professor X and prevent the ulternate future they live in. (Terminator meets the X?)

In other, other news Arilin is just grumpy that anyone is enjoying themselves.

Fifth and finally, X2 is a great movie, but Touk is still my favorite superhero. He also has the coolest powers, but I wish he could throw his shield like Captain America.

-Llandrien
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Mon May 05, 2003 2:30 am

Oh yeah, and watching Mystique throw the soliders the bird as she slid through the door was just priceless.

-Llanagain
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue May 06, 2003 12:41 pm

Saw X-men 2 tonight.
Excellent.
I didnt read many of the comics, though I remember liking Cyclops and Wolverine.
Cyclops and Gene's face-off in the power plant room under the dam was pretty cool, as was Mystique in general.
Nightcrawler was outstanding, and it rocked that they included him.
Also, when Magneto sucked the iron out of the guard's blood, fasioned those shot balls and destroyed his jail and escaped - that was sweet too.
And Wolverine asking for a beer in the school kitchen, and later grabbing a beer at the guy's family's place was awesome.
Here's hoping they continue the trend of improvement and new character development into X-Men 3!
BEER
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Tue May 06, 2003 3:00 pm

Wow. well. Guess I don't have to watch the movie to find out the key elements (Magneto's escape) now.

Harumph!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue May 06, 2003 3:19 pm

Favorite FX of X2: Nightcrawler's teleporting in the first fight scene--amazing!

I just wish they had included his sword feats in the movie. :(

And damnit, Gambit and Jubilee better be in X3 as more than just kids.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue May 06, 2003 3:25 pm

Oh, and one other thing: as much as it's true that they're not sticking very closely to the comics ya gotta admit, it's just not really possible to fit storylines that took a year or more to develop into a movie, especially one with more than one star. So, that being said, I think the introduction of Nightcrawler (they better discuss his connection to Mystique in X3), Lady Deathstrike's storyline and Jean Grey's storyline were all done as well as can be (though it wouldn't have been horrible to talk about Deathstrike's connection to Wolverine a lil more than was just hinted at but I think that's also going to be fodder for X3).

So I've seen X2 2x so far and my roommate wants to go as well. Guess I can handle it! :D
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Tue May 06, 2003 5:22 pm

Seems to be following the plotline of the xmen cartoon, uhm Xmen adventures that Fox syndicated. I would be interested to see if the brood do show up, as well as the whole deal with Genosha. I do not like the "x-men as kids" thing though Gambit and Rogue in the comics, hell, all of them, were (to me) like at least 30. Beast was older, the prof definitely, banshee, nightcrawler - old old old! colossus, jubilee, iceman, now they were younger.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue May 06, 2003 5:26 pm

Clan Blindhammer wrote:Seems to be following the plotline of the xmen cartoon, uhm Xmen adventures that Fox syndicated. I would be interested to see if the brood do show up, as well as the whole deal with Genosha. I do not like the "x-men as kids" thing though Gambit and Rogue in the comics, hell, all of them, were (to me) like at least 30. Beast was older, the prof definitely, banshee, nightcrawler - old old old! colossus, jubilee, iceman, now they were younger.

If ya wanna get technical, the original X-Men were Beast, Cyclops, Jean Grey (Marvel Girl), Iceman and Angel (later Archangel). That was back in what, the 60s? So they're DAMN goodlookin' for their age (those who are portrayed in the movies). And Wolverine is supposed to be one of the older if not the oldest of them all, no?

I just don't get the whole need to have Iceman and Rogue hook up. Completely a change from the comic and not necessary for plot in the least. *shrug*
Clan Blindhammer
Sojourner

Postby Clan Blindhammer » Tue May 06, 2003 6:48 pm

oh yeah i know all that, i'm just saying, if we're gonna look at plot similarities and all.... but you're right, iceman + rogue is only for mild sex appeal. I remember in the comic world how it was all hype when rogue and gambit were gettin married.
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Wed May 07, 2003 6:14 am

For anyone to try to equate ANY movie to ANYTHING written (book, comic, etc.) is just silly. Xmen was a cool movie and Xmen 2 kicked ass! (was better) GO SEE IT IN THE THEATRE! My number 1 character of all time is nightcrawler and they did a superb job with him. My second favorite is Gambit, who is not shown (I'm happy enough with nightcrawler!). Old-school Xmen fans (those around my age) will be proud and those who dont know what Xmen is about, will be happy they saw it.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed May 07, 2003 9:15 am

Oh I forgot my fav X-men character was of course Maggot!
With a name like that, you can't go wrong.

Here's a few interesting related links I found..

http://www.misterpoll.com/2144292616.html
(little poll on your fav x-mn characters)

http://www.filmjunkies.net/topten/xmen/ ... men10.html
(short list of x-men 2 hopeful characters)

http://pbem-portal.com/org/phoenix/x-men/characters/
(cool info about various characters)

http://www.classicmarvel.com/cast_xmen.htm
(another cool site about xmen char info)
BEER
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 12, 2003 10:31 am

Birile wrote:Favorite FX of X2: Nightcrawler's teleporting in the first fight scene--amazing!

I just wish they had included his sword feats in the movie. :(

And damnit, Gambit and Jubilee better be in X3 as more than just kids.

Did anyone else notice the name Remy LeBeau show up on the computer while Mystique was looking up Magneto? Isn't that Gambit's "real" name? They definately snuck in most of the good guys in this movie. Either as kids in the mansion (Shadowcat, Banchee) or on the computer (Gambit) or on television (Hank McCoy, !blue/!furry.)

Wolverine has always been my favorite, by far. I'll be disappointed if the Yuriko business ends in X2. :(

Hmm.. wonder how long it'll be before Wolvie gets his own movie? ;)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Mon May 12, 2003 11:45 pm

Sarvis wrote:Did anyone else notice the name Remy LeBeau show up on the computer while Mystique was looking up Magneto? Isn't that Gambit's "real" name?

I pointed that out to all my friends after the movie :)

Postby Guest » Tue May 13, 2003 5:56 am

Sarvis wrote:Did anyone else notice the name Remy LeBeau show up on the computer while Mystique was looking up Magneto? Isn't that Gambit's "real" name? They definately snuck in most of the good guys in this movie. Either as kids in the mansion (Shadowcat, Banchee) or on the computer (Gambit) or on television (Hank McCoy, !blue/!furry.)

From http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0290334

On Stryker's computer the follow files are listed: Guthrie, Paige (Husk); Guthrie, Samuel (Cannonball); Harada, Keniucho (known as The Silver Samurai); Kane, Garrison (Weapon X); LeBeau, Remy (Gambit); Lensherr, Eric M (Magneto); Maddicks, Artie (Artie); Madrox, Jamie (Multiple Man); Mahn, Xi'an Coy (Karma); Maximoff (2) (Wanda and Pietro, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver. Names weren't specified); McTaggart, Kevin (Proteus); Moonstar, Danielle (Moonstar); Munroe, Ororo (Storm). On another screen there were a series of folders on the computer's desktop. These folders listed some well-known individuals or places from the X-Men universe, including: Omega Red (Russian mutant super soldier) Muir Island (Scottish mutant research facility) Project Wideawake (Codename for Sentinel project) Franklin Richards (Son of Fantastic Four's Reed Richards and Sue Storm, born a mutant) Cerebro (Mutant tracking device created by Professor Xavier and Magneto).

(edited for readability)

IMdb rules, btw.
Grizz
Sojourner

Postby Grizz » Sun May 18, 2003 4:00 am

The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are the children of Magneto.
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"
Abbayarra
Sojourner

off topic, chamber of secrets Harry Potter

Postby Abbayarra » Sun May 18, 2003 6:18 am

I found something amusing in this movie, since I"m left handed I notice things like this:
Near the end of the movie note when Harry is running down the chamber to the girl laying on the floor. You will note that he is running with the wand in his left hand. Then it spins to a front view as he drops the wand and drops to the ground, you'll note he drops the wand with his right hand. It is that quick, boom boom, magically appearing from left to right.
Have a great day!
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sun May 18, 2003 1:06 pm

Zen wrote:Longshot! Er... wait that's not X-men... is it?

Nope, thats The Uncanny X-Men, I wouldnt (expect) to see rogue flying or super punching because its a long way from when she devours miss marvels powers, and gambit is waaay later on. Lady Deathstrike was way later on too, with cole and reese and all of the whatdoyoucallits? dont recall, been soooo long. was right around where storm dies for the first time... near the 'fever dream' comic. Banshee is a really long way off. Longshot too. Dont expect to find havok in there either, or dazzler.

Although, its pretty much their own telling of whatever story they want, so i wouldnt be surprised to find some of them "out of place".

-g
<I>When a man lies, he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?</I>
Grizz
Sojourner

Re: off topic, chamber of secrets Harry Potter

Postby Grizz » Sun May 18, 2003 4:41 pm

Abbayarra wrote:I found something amusing in this movie, since I"m left handed I notice things like this:
Near the end of the movie note when Harry is running down the chamber to the girl laying on the floor. You will note that he is running with the wand in his left hand. Then it spins to a front view as he drops the wand and drops to the ground, you'll note he drops the wand with his right hand. It is that quick, boom boom, magically appearing from left to right.
Have a great day!

Are you thinking of Harry Potter?
Mogan: Paladin, Human(Active)

In the immortal words of Tagad, "F**K IT! CHARGE!"

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”