The Dragon Myth

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Corth
Sojourner

The Dragon Myth

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:03 am

I think some of you might enjoy <a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/29/science/29DRAG.html?8isc=&pagewanted=all&position=>this</a> article. It discusses the origins of the dragon myth. Basically, it tries to come up with some plausible explanations for why the image and idea of the dragon is common in so many diverse and unconnected cultures.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Lenefir
Sojourner

Postby Lenefir » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:53 am

*pffff*

Need to be registered user of New Your Times :?
"Being God isn't easy. If you do too much, people get dependent on you; and if you do nothing, they lose hope. You have to use a light touch [...]. When you do things right, people won't be sure you have done anything at all"
--Futurama
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:07 am

Some interesting stuff, but a lot of it went way over my head. :)
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:30 pm

mere words shall never be able to explain the glory that is Trogdor.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Wed May 14, 2003 9:20 am

From Many Imaginations, One Fearsome Creature

By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr. (NYT) 1875 words
Late Edition - Final , Section F , Page 1 , Column 5
LEAD PARAGRAPH - A huge scaly serpent, usually with the wings of a bat or bird. Four or two or no legs. Breathes fire or poisonous fumes. May talk, but won't take guff from mere mortals. Sometimes has a vulnerable underbelly (good luck, Siegfried!) and sometimes is solid armor plate. May guard a treasure. May diet on virgins, or anything that crosses its path, halitosis-barbecued.
Sound familiar? Of course. For everyone from Perseus of Jaffa to Harry of Hogwarts, it's a dragon.

PURCHASING FROM NYTIMES.COM IS QUICK AND SECURE.

Thats all that you can read without money inside if you register... Corth, if you have access to that article, mind posting it here? I think lots of people will be interested in reading that.
Va'esse deireadh aep eigean... Something is ending...
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 14, 2003 10:09 pm

From what I understand, in just the past few days the Times changed its policy about accessing archived material. I dont pay for a subscription so I can't access the story now either.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”