Younger/Newer Players please read...

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Younger/Newer Players please read...

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:52 am

What do the lower level and new players to Sojourn have the biggest problems with? FAQ's, things you seem to run into more often the others...questions you have that seem to always go unanswered? We're working on some new guides to Sojourn and looking for some input for the beginner's perspective.

thanks for the help.

(yayaril you may be a newbie but even i cannot help whatever bizarre post you are going to put up...sorry!)
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:48 am

As a newbie *ahem*, the thing i think that would be most useful is maybe a newbie manual? Or maybe a board that we could read when we first enter the realm. It could tell us basic things such as info for the towns, info/location of guilds, info/loc of shops, info/loc of quests, and maybe locations of a couple newbie areas to kill outside of the city. I realize that the newbie help channel probably takes care of all of this, but i got past lvl 10 in a very short amount of time. Besides, some of us might be too chicken to ask (namely me) others for info. Maybe something else is a board that tells us useful abbreviations/acronyms for commands (if ya don't already have one).

Aram the novice paly
Snizzle
Sojourner

Postby Snizzle » Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:07 am

Gormie - If you are working on cleaning up the help files and faqs I would change thier structure a bit.

Any newbie (real noobie) would prolly type HELP after leaving the newbie traning area. I think the result of that is kind of confusing. Add a new tree structure starting with HELP NEW.

Then list the next level on the tree: HELP NHC, HELP PETI, HELP GIVE SNIZZLE COINS... etc etc.

The current system works, but is kind of chaotic in its arrangement.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:12 am

im not working on the help files though when posted the gods can use what i write if they so choose. folur asked me to write up some stuff so i am.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:36 am

I think Cherzra wrote up a big newbie help document a little while ago.. toss him a tell. He has a bunch of good stuff in there.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:37 am

I've already rewritten the FAQ and compiled a dictionary of over 50 MUD terms. I'm now working on rewriting the newbie zone, doing a REAL "help newbie", and working on individual class instructions. The board idea is also good, I'll consider working it into the newbie zone.

- Ragorn
Karak
Sojourner

Postby Karak » Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:17 pm

As a born again newbie, there is one thing i would have liked to see.

Directions to areas. Perhaps in your guild hall.
After i got kicked out of the newbie area I was left in Mithril hall to wander around aimlessly until i started to make some noise.

Perhaps a sign or 2 in game on that trip from MH to Waterdeep.

Mind you i did get led around by a few nice players and god types who got me out of that god forsaken mithril hall.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:38 am

I think a lot of lowbies have a problem with high level wankers that never reply to them whether they are busy or not. There is very few excuses for ignorance.

Tell Bob "sorry dude am busy"

Well fuck me sideways that was too hard to do while memming in a zone...

There would be little problem to learn if they could get answers from us ALL not just those of us with time on our hands and a genuine will to give someone you never met a few moments of your time to make them happy. (a lot dont want answers they just looking for a little attention from someone they may look up to) Unless of course you were never a newbie and never had to ask others for help/advice (or to be noticed) then you can be as ignorant as you like. If you don't think I do as i say test me some time (that doesn't mean be a fuckwitt and bother me on purpose), if i'm not asleep on the floor and forgot to log off, i'll try my best to help out anyone with questions that takes the time to ask.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:58 am

Just too bad that you're anon so no newbies can actually send you tells huh?
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:43 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jasix Prowlingwolf:
<B>I think a lot of lowbies have a problem with high level wankers that never reply to them whether they are busy or not. There is very few excuses for ignorance.

Tell Bob "sorry dude am busy"
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too bad 95% of the times I get tells from some clueless moron, they are IN THE LIGHT and I can't reply.

And no, I usually don't bother to try to reply 5 mins later when its dark cause I can't recall the dimwit's name.

/Jegzed speaking Jasix's language today.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
I think Cherzra wrote up a big newbie help document a little while ago.. toss him a tell. He has a bunch of good stuff in there.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000863.html

WOOT! I got to it before Tod, go me!

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jan 09, 2002 12:45 pm

Please try to focus on code issues and not player attitudes. The code can be worked on, the attitudes.... also worked on, but not to the same degree.

- Ragorn
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Please try to focus on code issues and not player attitudes. The code can be worked on, the attitudes.... also worked on, but not to the same degree.

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, not to be inflammatory, but it is about all issues, not just coding.
I can't say that I've had a problem with players myself not being too responsive, they're few and far between, and I know every incarnation of Sojourn I start out as a no-name nobody, and eventually people start recognizing me, and every time I've had a stupid question (And believe me, I DO come up with stupid questions...) I've been able to find an answer.
If someone is too busy or just doesn't reply, I ask someone else, and eventually I get an answer.
I do realize also that some people do have problems with people not answering, which is why I became a Newbie Helper. I may not now a lot about high-level stuff, but I do now a lot of the basics, and I am a perpetual lowbie (hehe)
In that vein, I do have something that I would like to see changed (If not changed back, can't remember if this ever was the case...)
But I have a couple ideas for people who are Newbie Helpers:

1) Give them either a flag or a title that says {Helper} or (H) or something to distinguish us from the unwashed (And sometimes smelly) masses

2) Uhmm, this idea is prolly already implemented, but I haven't been able to MUD <growl> in a while so I haven't checked it out yet, but maybe have a Who Helper

3) Maybe show Helpers when Newbies logon/create new chars or something so for people like me who have no lives and can't do jack except sit around and wait for someone to say "Hey, get over here, we're gonna go kill something" we can actually help people right away

4) Another idea I'm not sure about... Don't let Helpers toggle Anon, we specifically asked for this job, and going Anon as a Helper is dumb

5) Uhhh... Free beer?

------------------
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jan 09, 2002 1:18 pm

More helpers. Everytime I type who helper there are at most 2-3 people including myself and there are lots of newbies asking questions and asking for help cause they died at the orc chief/ goblin chief/ wherever else.

It should be easier to become a helper too. It took me over a week to find the right imm online - every imm should be able to make you one.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:40 pm

I think what would be great to have for newbies are more maps. Like make a cartographer in every hometown, that sells maps of the surrounding area. I know there's some in the game already, but I know that these are probably WAY outdated.

For example:

WD - Entire map of WD, goes as far east as TP (including druid/ranger guilds), giving directions to gob caves/bgr/animals east of TP. Goes as far north as RC, shows you where the ship dock is, where the tower is, where the newer zonelets are. Goes as far south as the ruins, giving directions pointing that way to BG, etc.

BS - Entire map of BS, shows the map of the Svalich woods, goes as far out as GC, shows the ways to get to lava tubes, etc.

DK - Map of DK, shows dirs to get to the ocean for turtle/sg, how to get to CP, how to get out of desert altogether, and where Nizari and other little zones are around.

I think you get the idea. Image

I've gotten many tells from newbies who are lost in the desert, or lost in various places....places we can't really give exact dirs from cause it's out in the middle of nowhere. So maybe make some maps available to buy from hometowns for cheap. Don't give away too much detail in them, just detailed enough they know where the hell they're going. Image

Deathmagnet
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:13 am

Yeah, would have loved directions to some of the places to go. But had alotta help from good players. On a side note, every time i asked a questions to a player, i got an answer. Thx everyone, made the game much easier so now i am addicted to muds again and am not doing homework. So uh...errr i take that back, no thx at all! Probably the trick is to send tells to other people in your class, i sent mine to mostly other paly's.

------------------
Aram the novice paly
Magruk Eat Elf
Sojourner

Postby Magruk Eat Elf » Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:14 am

A side note on getting help when yer a newbody...

I noticed while playing soj2 and now soj3 that the most friendly and helpful individuals were Paladins and believe it or not evils.. (big majority were actually trolls and ogres)
This is not saying others of other races/classes etc weren't helpful, they were but on a ratio basis this was what i noticed, and that is saying a bit considering they aren't exactly the most populace class/races though everyone knows that trolls rule.. Image

Considering it's really hard to do anything unless you get into the right click or get to the right level and have the skills people are looking for. From what I've experienced not many people will really go out and say, "hey you, wanna go kill so&so, wanna help or join us?"
Granted I'm not exactly the level to go zoning a few too many shy and now that i don't have the time i used 2 have 2 mud it's gonna be a while *sniiiiiff* (this is the part where you're supposed to feel sorry for me Image) at the time of this writing i'm a lvl 25 troll and i don't have a problem helping lower level dk visitor/inhabitants get some levels and every now and then i get asked by some poor little troll get outta ghore, though not lately small guys must gotten eaten or growed up fast.
anyways at mid level it's kinda hard 2 do much on your own, and w/o the resources to zone or gather money or exp easily on your own, it's hard to come up with hardware to do it, don't get me wrong i can hold my own fairly well and those i've mudded with here and abroad hv md some notes that i'm not too shabby i've got a skill though not like some I worship, like DEZZEX!!! I worship the ground he walks/levitates over. (If you knew him like i did way back when he was but a kid you'd be in awe too) anyways there's help for lowbies out there, help 4 highups out there but when your mid range and not in a clique with some heavy people at mid range you're SOL.

Well that's my 22 1/2 cents that nobody wants.

------------------
A little Honey-BBQ sauce and Dwarf tastes just like elf only stringier and tougher and tastes like dirt with honey-bbq sauce.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Magruk Eat Elf:
<B>A side note on getting help when yer a newbody...

Considering it's really hard to do anything unless you get into the right click or get to the right level and have the skills people are looking for. From what I've experienced not many people will really go out and say, "hey you, wanna go kill so&so, wanna help or join us?"
Granted I'm not exactly the level to go zoning a few too many shy and now that i don't have the time i used 2 have 2 mud it's gonna be a while *sniiiiiff* (this is the part where you're supposed to feel sorry for me Image) at the time of this writing i'm a lvl 25 troll and i don't have a problem helping lower level dk visitor/inhabitants get some levels and every now and then i get asked by some poor little troll get outta ghore, though not lately small guys must gotten eaten or growed up fast.
anyways at mid level it's kinda hard 2 do much on your own, and w/o the resources to zone or gather money or exp easily on your own, it's hard to come up with hardware to do it, don't get me wrong i can hold my own fairly well and those i've mudded with here and abroad hv md some notes that i'm not too shabby i've got a skill though not like some I worship, like DEZZEX!!! I worship the ground he walks/levitates over. (If you knew him like i did way back when he was but a kid you'd be in awe too) anyways there's help for lowbies out there, help 4 highups out there but when your mid range and not in a clique with some heavy people at mid range you're SOL.

Well that's my 22 1/2 cents that nobody wants.

Wow, finally someone else voicing what I tell Lepdar everytime he comes over for us to MUD!
I've actually spent my last several dozen sessions (When I could actually get ON the MUD, damn modem...) just leveling lowbies on BGR... My trophy is just obscene!
But ya... I know we're not newbies anymore, and I betcha if I actually got off my lazy rear and looked around I could do more...
But anyhoo...

------------------
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:14 pm

Am I a newbie? Who knows. Mudded here since fall 95, but never been over level 36. So ya, guess I'm still a newb. Kinda like the 6th year senior I was in college Image

Anyways, some of my thoughts....

Newbie Casters.... I know caster exp tables are set the way they are for a reason. But I've seen a ton of newbie casters change characters or quit playing after a short time cuz of lowbie exp. How about adjust low level caster exp tables to make it a tad easier on the little guys. Say maybe up to level 15 or 16. Then by the time the tables kick in hard core, it won't scare them so bad.

Support mobs in hometowns... maybe for 30-50 copper you can get a short duration armor spell or bless. Not useful for higher levels, but long enough for lowbies to run to the sedawi's or stump to get some use out of it. Plus something to do with all that damn copper at low levels.

Road Signs.... sign at TP that says west to WD, north to mountains, east to valley of crushk and sedawi. Other signs too of course, this just an example. Put them around HT's so newbies don't get lost so easy when exploring little stuff. This could add to the maps mentioned above.

Water container and starting food... maybe add a little extra food to the newly rolled char.

More newbie helpers.... although, from what I can see, the current ones do a pretty good job, plus newbies can work through problems together over this channel, very kewl.

Basic commands... Put up a section on the website that is a list of basic newbie commands, and a few kewl socials, post the web address plainly in view for new chars, so they can just alt-tab for that quick command. Nothing immaculate, just a small page.

Beginner BBS.... For beginners to post problems, questions, etc. Just make sure to put up a disclaimer about flaming, don't want to scare off every newbie we have.

Help files... I know this is being worked on, just giving it a little *nudge* Image

Hmmmmm, that's all I can think of for now, time to go home and log on to s3, hehe. Hope these ideas are ok!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 14, 2002 11:57 pm

i really like that road sign idea. esp in gn and mh etc how to get to waterdeep.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:25 am

I agree a little Rag's but as far as I am concerned the code here is great, hardly anything that needs much fixing... (new skills/class aside)

Player attitude is what makes or breaks a new player though. It is true that Jasix is anon all the time. Jasix is more of a personality then a grouping/zoning charcter. I have another main for that stuff. People that know me who me.... I'd rather talk to someone that goes out of their way to find me then just whoing everyone and seeing me name there.

I do spend most of my time in WD as Jasix and more often then not I am handing out eq to little guys or leveling them. I go out of my way to lvl little gus up to lvl 11 as fast as I can and treat them well so they stick around. A lot get frustrated and leave and never return cause they have no idea how to lvl. Powerlvling newbies is not the best idea, but I only take them to lvl 11 where they have some hope of being usful in a small group to learn the game properly.

A LOT (close to all the time) when i am helping one of these little people out they say that this mud is excellent but the people are either ignorant, arrigant or sleezy assholes.... (yes it is true i will lvl 5 little females for every 1 male i take the time to help out, that's part of my personality) The more women that mud here the more male player that will come sniffing around :P

The best code in the world (which we have anyway) will not keep people coming back, it's the players and thier attitudes...

I bow and tip my hat or say hello to almost anyone, if they ask me a question I do my best to answer it (they usualy get an essay) and at least 75% of them say "THANKS!! not everyone here is as helpful as you, some are just downright rude".... Don't believe me? roll a human warrior and stand in WD for a while and see how much help you get... There are a LOT of great helpful people here but it's the few that are rude to little people or ignore them that turns them away...

You dont have to lvl them or give them eq, most of them are just happy to be acknowledged... Yes I am sure the Evils love all the littlies and do the same for them.. I can only coment on WD and what I see and hear myself.

Remeber Society is to blaim..
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jan 15, 2002 12:49 am

hi this is earth...i'd like you all to come back. why dont you read why i posted this thread.

newbies...what do YOU have problems with most.

its great form to have the big boys arguing in the sandbox like this. I'm sure it brings the newbies to sojourn in droves.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Jan 15, 2002 2:03 am

when i was a newbie, i found that it really is appreciated by jasix to send jasix tells every minute asking him non mud related questions. heck i even set up a ticker: t jasix what color u hair.
t jasix u think i should get a hair cut?
t jasix do u like fruitcake.
t jasix have u ever kick the bucket
etc

if u newbie and need help make sure u fine out all of jasix alt as well cuz he luvs it when u send him random tells and ask him these questions.

sok -former newbie
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Magruk Eat Elf:
<B> From what I've experienced not many people will really go out and say, "hey you, wanna go kill so&so, wanna help or join us?"

Just wanted to comment that I am that someone. I will take clueless and green people into a zone, and yes, I have proved that groups do suffer many more deaths as a result of it.

Generally it's fun.
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:11 am

I am Moritheil's sacrifice. Image

-Nida
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue Jan 15, 2002 1:42 pm

I agree Gormal.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
<B> t jasix what color u hair.
t jasix u think i should get a hair cut?
t jasix do u like fruitcake.
t jasix have u ever kick the bucket

brown
yes but use a rusty stanly knife
yes specially Big Sister ones
yep, busted the bottom out of it.

Now for those that actually have the ability to ignore mindless ravings anc an read between the lines with what i post about...

Don't send pointless tells to people, you just piss them off so real newbies get ignored. If you dont get a reply just assume they are busy zoning and cant talk. BUT the ones that i really aim my post at are the high levelers that stand in WD chatting away but totally ignore any tells for information or help. That is nothing more then pure ignorance and if you wanna be ignorant fine, but rememeber them and when your bigger and they ask for help throw it back in their face :P If they too good to talk to you when your small dont bother giving them your help when you have some levels up and they need it.

And yes guys i know how annoying some newbies are, but if you treat them ALL like they are annoying then....

Do you really want new people playing here or do you just consider them a waste of space and hardly worth any time or effort to treat with respect and common courtesy..

Speak the language Jeggy :P Anger is a powerful tool, nothing sparks a reaction like a kick to the nuts :P
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue Jan 15, 2002 4:27 pm

I've played a few lowbie evils, and I figured I'd comment on the tells during daylight issue. It's one of those little things that not everyone pays much attention to (especially if you're used to playing a goodie). I've done it a ton myself, and it took me a while to get used to checking the time when I was talking to someone. Most evils will relay a message if they can see both of you, and they'll be nice about it. It's not hard to be talking to someone, be in a dark room, and either not realize it's now daylight, or move one room, and realize that your outside. Don't criticize people for this, just takes some time to always remember it. We're only human after all Image

Galkar
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:54 pm

Not sure I espouse your cause for vengeance, Jasix. But in general, if someone has been a bastahd for no reason, then that someone is more likely to have their emergency well typo'd :P
Shaylot
Sojourner

Postby Shaylot » Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:28 pm

recall (on the first 4 levels) to work everywhere!!!

It was really annoying when I first made a gnome illusionist that i simply couldn't figure out how to recall from the guild.

also, all that beeing trapped in a forest and just not fining it funny after 4 hours, no food, water, movement.

If recall was possible everywhere then you could just recall and eat balls. (now there is a quote)

my 2¢
/Shaylot
Calata
Sojourner

Postby Calata » Tue Jan 15, 2002 11:22 pm

Most definitely, the biggest problem that I had as a newbie was killing crap. In the newbie zone, whether or not I could take a mob that conned "perfect match" really came down to chance - would he "OUCH!" or "YIKES!" me before I could get off a few bludgeons, would he come in and kill me while I was sleeping back my HP, etc. Mind, I'm a caster - at least I'm druid, so I could heal myself up before my current prey was back to excellent. Now, I rolled up an Elven warrior as an experiment (yes, yes, I read the boards, I know they "suck" :P). Even before Lilithelle spotted me and covered me with loads of nice eq, I was still beating the crap out of the newbie zone. Lots of luck and great equip? No problem!

The ability to cast one, two, three spells does NOT make up for having 10 fewer HP and the inability to actually hit anything for damage. I have 7 hours playtime on my Grey warrior, and he's lvl 7. I ALSO have 7 hours playtime on a drow invoker I rolled, and she's barely level 2.

As far as people offering help...while trying various classes out I've rolled about 7 goodies and 3 evils. Without any asking/prompting/leading socials/etc on my part, without fail every goodie I rolled was offered help by somebody - whether equipment, pleveling, advice/info, etc. Each of those evils I played for a while, comparatively - at least 3-4 hours apiece; none of them had ever been offered any sort of help by anyone. I think it's because pretty much NOBODY plays an evil as their first character, so everybody assumes that lowbie evils know what they're doing.

Calata
druid with a hoe

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 17, 2002 8:08 pm

Although I pick on him alot, I applaud Gormal in starting this thread and getting the ideas flowing - kudos big guy.

Sojourn 3 definitely needs a friendlier face, and Ive been working with some mortals and staff on ways to improve it. Everything posted here will definitely be taken to heart.

Miax
Nebomosel
Sojourner

Postby Nebomosel » Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:13 pm

My GF is big into computer art and I've talked with her about doing a general topographical-type map of the areas from BG n to IC and some surrounding areas. This would show everything but would show stuff like the field, trollbark, east of tp, monestary, some of bgr, gob caves, ss, etc. Would anyone object to me posting a link to this when it's done for opinions/corrections/additions? Anything to help newbies, I feel, would just be a bonus. Plz feel free to bash the idea if it's not acceptable.

Neb
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:17 am

Most of the ideas and suggestions in this thread will be realized on the mud at some point in the future Image

- Ragorn
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nebomosel:
<B>My GF is big into computer art and I've talked with her about doing a general topographical-type map of the areas from BG n to IC and some surrounding areas. This would show everything but would show stuff like the field, trollbark, east of tp, monestary, some of bgr, gob caves, ss, etc. Would anyone object to me posting a link to this when it's done for opinions/corrections/additions? Anything to help newbies, I feel, would just be a bonus. Plz feel free to bash the idea if it's not acceptable.

Neb</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still have a program I wrote in Turbo Pascal years ago with the map of the areas surrounding WD, BS, and a buncha others, I should dig it out Image

------------------
Dennarryll
Sojourner

Postby Dennarryll » Tue Jan 22, 2002 5:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> Just wanted to comment that I am that someone. I will take clueless and green people into a zone, and yes, I have proved that groups do suffer many more deaths as a result of it.

Generally it's fun.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah...did that to me today. Nice work, Chief!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:48 pm

*bow Nida*

Hope you enjoyed it, Dennarryll... in future runs, hopefully we will avoid . . . complications. I'll post about that in another thread.

Galkar - I think exp is the way it is because there is a need for more tank/melee types. Already I hear of great problems in the midlevels with insufficient tanks to go around. Easier lowlvl caster xp would just make that problem more acute.
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Wed Jan 23, 2002 12:42 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
Galkar - I think exp is the way it is because there is a need for more tank/melee types. Already I hear of great problems in the midlevels with insufficient tanks to go around. Easier lowlvl caster xp would just make that problem more acute.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see how that will make the true newbie choose a warrior type?
I was so silly as to pick an enchanter and boy, did I regret it.

I have a hard time seeing the idea in herding players to choose certain classes by manipulating the exp tables. And I'm not sure this is what the staff is doing Image

Sojourn is a hard mud to play. This will always scare a lot of people away and it will also attract a lot.
But I find the mud so hard in the start that potential players are scared away before they realize how well-built the place is.

Updating the help files would be a good help.
I constantly find errors in them and I have a hard time figuring what I should believe in.

There are a lot of unwritten rules and information, that a newbie is having a hard time figuring too.
People keep mentioning this about not loosing hp's after lvl 25 if you loose a lvl.
There is all the knowledge about stat notches, about the max skill level for the differetn classes and I could probably mention some more.
If there was a way to enlighten new people about a bit of this, it could be nice.
This would be something the new mudder, that knows about diku-muds would like. He doesn't need help to the commands, displays and how to consider. He wants some knowledge about how to explore, find quests and do a CR.

As I see it, there are two kinds of newbies.
One is new to mudding in general and one is just new to Sojourn. They have different demands and it will take different things to keep them at playing IMO.

/Lalisa
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:23 am

Lalisa it's absolutely true. You don't lose *max* hps after level 25. Of course you lose the hps that you gained from the level, but you get back the same amount (to prevent twinking, natch.) I can see that this just illustrates your point - when you don't have all the facts, things can appear not to make sense.

I do see your point about "reality" being hard to discern because it's not all there and explained to you. To an extent, a part of me wants to say that that's the allure of things, the fact that it isn't cut and dried. Arguments still rage over whether or not characters need a high CON score, for example. Of course, it's assuredly true that some things could stand to be clarified.

That brings me to an interesting question. What are the minimum, absolutely necessary things that need to be clarified?
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:26 am

<B>
That brings me to an interesting question. What are the minimum, absolutely necessary things that need to be clarified?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, I won't answer that one, because I want to know it all Image
But it's something to ponder about. I do have a feeling some knowledge is lacking, I am just not completely sure what it is yet.
I come from a mud where most could be read in the helpfiles. There wasn't much hidden knowledge. This didn't mean it was an easy place, it still required skills to play. But the good thing was it made the players even. Older players were of course more skilled and therefore they could do more. But the basic knowledge was the same to all players (if they read the helpfiles of course).

If the tradition here is different, then so be it. All places have their own way of doing things Image

Thanks for explaining the max hp thingie to me! Now I feel a bit more enlightened.

/Lalisa

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”