Time to Rethink Some Administration Rules

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Dizzin
Sojourner

Time to Rethink Some Administration Rules

Postby Dizzin » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:03 am

Namely, the help given by Staff after a crash. For Example, you're happily smiting in Seelie Court. Doing Faerie Goggles you have a half spank. You finish the fight, but half your group is dead. And just as you begin to ress, the game crashes. Now that means that half your group is dead deep in one of the biggest pain in the ass zones on the mud, and through NO fault of your own, you're utterly screwed. Now add in the fact that it's 2 am, there's very little wish to continue on.

So, is it so hard that in situations where there's a CRASH of the game and corpses are left inside zones that it's possible to just have the fugging corpses moved out? I truly fail to see the problem with this nowadays.

Perhaps an Admin could explain it to us all.. without using the words, "That's how it's always been done before" !!

Thanky.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Re: Time to Rethink Some Administration Rules

Postby Gyrx » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:05 am

Dizzin wrote:Perhaps an Admin could explain it to us all.. without using the words, "That's how it's always been done before" !!

Thanky.

God I hate that response.

Please, tell us why this cannot be changed?
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:23 am

i wish they would make spank/corpse lossage easier and more likely without the use of a crash, and then balance it by offering assistance if it was the crash that spanked the players and not the mud
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:08 am

DIZZIN = HERO

I'd like the admin to remember the days where they spanked in somewhere deep and how nice it would be to AT LEAST be put back in the state they were at the time of the crash or to have the corpses back.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:25 am

agree 100000000%

Lost a full contingent of corpses to a crash in spob few nights back, a complete waste of time. (getting back the exp that is)

It is a true shame when the most feared thinh in the wonderful world that is toril is the game crashing. A level 50 char with over 100 days ptime should not have to resort to returning to mundane exp holes in order to keep lvl 50.

Solution = Make trophy significant & lower exp tables.

Temporary solution? Make exp table above lvl 50 much less. When Tables were changed so that it weas easy to exp to 46 and hard beyond that several of us were vocal that the loss on 5% (due to death/res) of hard exp post lvl 46 would be too much. I firmly stand by this and believe it has been proven through character who were once very secure in lvl 50 dropping to 49.
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:17 pm

Funny little thing about sojourn,

In my experience of dealing with the gods, you make the concious decision to do anything you do, that includes doing a zone where you might possibly spank. Pending any catastrophic staff-induced crisis, you're not getting any help from the gods regardless of time willingness or other cicumstance.

I don't like it. It makes the mud too hard for noobs, but at the same time changing it would make it too easy for the veterans. Also, because the zones only load on a crash or a boot, bugs are likely to be exploited to get that extra shot at a rareload.

I've played a few muds, and even helped admin one called Realms of Dispair while sojourn was down. As an admin you get asked for a lot of special treatment, even from people you don't even know. This was compounded by the number of times you would be contacted by players over CR's etc. it was hard to get any work done or have fun without being rude and not responding.

Solution: Supplicate.

RoD's zones are set on a timer, which were changed based on the playerbase (largest was 6 hours), due to this nature, bugs were inconsequential and were less exploited, one uptime ran over 49 days.

Suplicate is like a get out of jail free card, but for corpse reteivals, granted by your diety. You could supplicate quest, wich goes to a database of quests and assigns you one, if you complete it within the alloted time, you gain one favor, if you don't you lose one. You could also suplicate items for your badge slot, which identified you as a whorshiper of that god and gave you a few small bonuses (10 favor) and suplicate corpse, which cost you 1 favor but it dropped your corpse at your feet (assuming you'd done something really stupid like losing it to a !cr death trap)

Likely, nothing will ever be done about this, but it's nice to talk about it.
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Muma OOC: 'haha i just stuck my tongue out at the moniter'
Muma OOC: 'and yea i was sticking it out at you EV'
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: cause people are twinks

Postby Dalar » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:38 pm

Jasix Prowlingwolf wrote:Because dorks like Dizid and Dartan are twinks and would exploit crash bugs at the right time to make that CR easier for themselves..

That's why the gods wont help you with your spank Crs after a crash, yes is true a lot of crashes are caused by some coder doing something he shouldn't on the main mud instead of testing it fully on the test mud....

Crash bugs are rarely reported to the gods because a handful of tools would rather keep that infomation (just like they do with quest info) to themselves to use when it best suits them...

Maybe Dartan and other camping twits don't know any current crash bugs but be sure they would exploit them if they did know some. "Oh I need to twink yet another GC rare for my already huge collection" *exploit crash bug* camp GC for next 3 days...*

"Oh i'm sorry does the truth make you angry?"

Tough!@!

Jasix "Flame on your crazy diamond" Prowlingwolf

aw how cute, still bitter about losing a gc rare to me? look, shar told you it was our (myself and an imphras druid's) rare. we can't follow the mob around like that because we had to well someone who died. also, i already had my items ready to turn and i gave the opal to alloshi for his fire embodiment. you would have done it for erlan quest, which isn't even around. look who's selfish now? why don't u go flirt with some girls on the mud or something. the funniest mud moment ever was when your mud wife told me not to tell you she was around. CLASSIC
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:00 pm

OK, we'll read the suggestions, but this thread is NOT going to degrade even further into Dalar vs. Jasix.

Thank you for your constructive input, those who posted such.
Kossuth -- TorilMUD Administrator

Astine OOC: 'ask not what I do to your mom, ask what my mom will do to you'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:00 am

This was discussed at the beginning of this wipe - we compromised by extending the corpse rot time from 2 hours to 18.

If you don't have the time - don't do the zone, or CR the next day.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”