Old DOS game on win98

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Zagaz
Sojourner

Old DOS game on win98

Postby Zagaz » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:23 am

I recently downloaded Masters of Magic, and I
ran Memmaker in DOS....however, every time my computer goes to restart to apply the new memory settings, it freezes...sigh....

my email addy is sobeman@sympatico.ca and my icq # is 1573960 if ya want more in deoth details....or if anyone can suggest come other utility I can use to free up the kind of memory that old DOS games require.....

on a bit of a similar note...a friend of mine is having problems with win XP...I was over there last night and another friend an I came up with a theory....the reason XP sucks, is because it is like a character that keeps on getting xp, but keeps dieing and no one has ress, so it is forced to constantly get xp, and it keeps dieing and gets nowhere....thus it is appropriately named.....anywho...I was drunk when I came up with this..so....disregard if it makes no sense
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:41 am

Try starting in pure dos mode and making a real config.sys and autoexec.bat.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Feb 04, 2002 9:07 am

Make sure to start on Mirar and use white magick to seal up the planes until you've conquered the whole thing. Then leak out onto the main plane..

Yayaril
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:37 pm

Ironically, I've never got Masters of Magic to work with Win98...
But I don't think a problem is with MemMaker... You're getting the "Not enough memory" error, right?
'cuz it requires something like, 480k or 530k of Conventional memory, which I don't think MemMaker handles, but it's only enough to load your mouse drivers, and that's about it...
I keep getting the "Hardware is not configured properly" message, and I lost my disks somewhere, I think Dubad has them, so I can't try it now that I've got my new motherboard Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:02 pm

Well..I gave up on memmaker, and realized you can right click on the program and go into properties and manage the memory there, through windows, and then instead of not enough EMS, I do not have enough conventional memory...I have been experimenting with autoexec and config files, but my knowledge is limited to the help files thropugh dos...sigh...I will persist...some day it shall work, cana nyone suggest a good online resource site for help with config.sys and autoecex.bat?
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:50 pm

*whistle* MOM my all time favorite! too bad there's no sequel to it. though i'm afraid the sequel would ruin the fame of MOM.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zagaz:
Well..I gave up on memmaker, and realized you can right click on the program and go into properties and manage the memory there, through windows, and then instead of not enough EMS, I do not have enough conventional memory...I have been experimenting with autoexec and config files, but my knowledge is limited to the help files thropugh dos...sigh...I will persist...some day it shall work, cana nyone suggest a good online resource site for help with config.sys and autoecex.bat?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, me Image
If you're doing it purely thru Windows, under memory settings, where you set teh EMS, change the Conventional Memory settings from "Automatic" or "Default" or whateverthehellitis to "640k"
If that still doesn't work, which I can't see why not, even tho I haven't worked with it under Win98 (I know under 95 it was useless to change that setting) what you can do is go into your config.sys file, and before any line that loads a .sys, .com, or .exe file, put "LH <whatever the command was>"
i.e.
LH C:\Windows\MouseDrv.SYS

One other thing...
If none of the above works, make a seperate config.sys file (COpy the original to like, config.bak or something first)
In config.sys, put:
LH C:\WIndows\System\Himem.Sys

In Autoexec.Bat, put:
LH <your mouse driver>

And if it doesn't work thru Windows, I can give you the workaround so you'll actually start in True DOS mode instead of the (goddamned) "MS-DOS Mode" that you can choose from the Windows ShutDown screen...
Which, BTW, is a POS... Image

------------------
taelin
Sojourner

Postby taelin » Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:17 pm

Age of Wonders was the closest thing to a sequal, and it was good. But, Age of Wonders II is being released this year that is even closer to the original MoM. Look for some great times on memory lane.
Sobu
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:42 pm

I've got it to work on 98se nicely. I had problems at first but changing the memory settings I finally got it to work.
I had to go in and set NOEMS or something, forgot exactly what I did, but it will work with enough tinkering.
Belle
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bopple:
*whistle* MOM my all time favorite! too bad there's no sequel to it. though i'm afraid the sequel would ruin the fame of MOM.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I'm about 80% certain that Arcanus is the sequel to it...
But ya, it's a badass game Image
I got bored quick tho, I found a way to beat the whole game with 8 players on the hardest difficulty level with only one group Image
It involves starting on Mirrar with Dark Elves... Not only do they have the highest mana gain, but all their units have an innate ranged magical attack Image

------------------
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by belleshel:
<B>I've got it to work on 98se nicely. I had problems at first but changing the memory settings I finally got it to work.
I had to go in and set NOEMS or something, forgot exactly what I did, but it will work with enough tinkering.
Belle</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, now ya'll have got me thinkin' about it... I need to go find it, I KNOW I have it on my hard drive somewhere...
No wait... I think it's on CD... I hope it is, if it was on one of my drives it's toast...
Oh, and while we're on the topic of Win98, has anyone besides me had any trouble with it on a newer motherboard? I have a 1.3GHz AMD Athlon, and it's been a pain in my ass ever since I put in the board!
Actually, let me rephrase the question: Has anyone had any MORE trouble with it then before?
Like, specifically, if you shut it off for more then 15 minutes at a time, it won't even start up...
I can't figure out what's causing it, I thought at first that it was programs I was installing, but lately I've wiped out my hard drive SOOOO many times, I don't even install anything other then zMUD, Diablo II, and Baldur's Gate II, but it has done it when I've installed nothing at all and just shut it off for the night...
Step-By-Step Confirmation locks up right after it loads the mouse driver (MSMOUSE.VXD)
<shrug>
As it is right now, I just don't shut it off anymore Image

------------------
Nassis
Sojourner

Postby Nassis » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:52 pm

My config.sys and autoexec are the same I had before windows found any of my boxes, never had memory problems with dos games...
I think if you hold F8 during boot you get a menu where you can choose to start in command line mode. Try that and then run memmaker (or whatever). Remember to do the F8 thing each time it reboots.

MoM can be found on lots of "abandonware" sites. Search for "abandonware underdogs" for my favorite site.

(Oh, and the killer race is halflings. Lotsa food, luck and early slingers kick ass. And that white spell that raises the level on all your troops combined with the warlord pick is almost like cheating (ultra elite ademantium slingers - bye dragons...))
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:18 pm

Wow! That is a lot of good advice, both tips to play and "troubleshooting" that you have all given. I am at work right now, so I cannot really put the advice to use, but when I get home tonight, I will try it out and post if I have additional problems.....I miss my old P75. I could play ALL my fav DOS games, with no problems, yet the new fancy smanshy games were a real drag. Work is calling me away *grumble*
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 05, 2002 3:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zagaz:
Wow! That is a lot of good advice, both tips to play and "troubleshooting" that you have all given. I am at work right now, so I cannot really put the advice to use, but when I get home tonight, I will try it out and post if I have additional problems.....I miss my old P75. I could play ALL my fav DOS games, with no problems, yet the new fancy smanshy games were a real drag. Work is calling me away *grumble*</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bet you $1,000,000 there's a game you won't get to work right on a P75 without an external program... Hell, I couldn't even play it on my 486!!!
The game?
Megaman!
It was written for the 8086, and it doesn't have anything built-in to slow it down... On a 486 I'd be dead before I could move a full screen... I'd love to try it on my new computer Image
But as for MoM... I love Dark Elves... Don't even need warlord to twink them, just have 3 Priests, 3 Warlocks, and the rest Wizard heros (I can't remember if max units are 8 or 9...) With Fly and Enchantment spells, you'll be SuperTwink in no time Image
Only thing I've never been able to kill are the uhmmm, Sky Dragons? The blue ones that do obscene damage...
And as for Great Wyrms, once you get Fly, they're cake Image

------------------
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:06 pm

The easiest way to free up memory in Win98 is to boot into command line using a boot disk.

The easiest way to achieve this is by formatting a disk, and then from the command prompt

cd c:\windows\commands\ and do a
sys a:

Copy c:\windows\himem.sys into a:, then create a CONFIG.SYS that contains the following lines:

device=himem.sys /testmem :off
files=10
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z

Sierra games used to need files=50, adjust if you have problems after booting using the disk and running the game.

If you need CD-ROM support, copy c:\windows\command\ebd\oakcdrom.sys into a: and c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe into a: and just add the following lines into CONFIG.SYS:

device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

and this line into an AUTOEXEC.BAT:

LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L :D <-- this would be your CD-ROM drive letter

That's it! :)

Just to add, for mouse support you may have to search the web for old dos mouse drivers, Logitech has a pretty generic mouse driver that works with all mices I've played with, you can download it from:

http://www.logitech.com/cf/support/mousefiles_dos.cfm

[This message has been edited by Azenilsee (edited 02-05-2002).]
Wuk
Sojourner

Postby Wuk » Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:54 pm

I play MofM on my WinME system, only thing Is I have to not use any music, sound works just not the music, thats the only way I could get it to run, hope that helpes you out, tried all the rest of the tricks people normally say and they didnt work for my PC
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:08 pm

This was one of my favorite games, does anyone know where i can download it? or does someone want to let me grab it from their ftp? Image

Tanras
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:11 pm

the other game I loved but cant remember the name for was that old board game where you had to get a job and compete with the other people for like money and happiness and crap like that until you won. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tanras:
the other game I loved but cant remember the name for was that old board game where you had to get a job and compete with the other people for like money and happiness and crap like that until you won. Anyone know what I am talking about?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Payday? Where you move around on the calender? Or Life?

Wuk:
There's a way to do it, you need to use teh 16-bit sound drivers... I'm trying to think, I believe they are the .VXD drivers, I can look around for the info, we had the same problem on my computer with ALL DOS-based games, like Doom2, Duke3d, etc. until we put in the 16-bit drivers.
I'll look for the info tho, I know I have it somewhere Image

------------------
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:32 pm

no, it was only a computer game, not a real board game. You had to get a job through the employment office and pay bills and all sorts of stuff. You could buy stuff like stereos and computers and refrigerators which let you stockpile food. I wish I could remember the name of that game heh.
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Wed Feb 06, 2002 5:39 pm

Jones in the Fast Lane!

pwn!
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Thu Feb 07, 2002 2:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tanras:
<B>This was one of my favorite games, does anyone know where i can download it? or does someone want to let me grab it from their ftp? Image

Tanras</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.theunderdogs.org

One of the most famous abandonware site.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:03 pm

I have an interesting question that kinda follows along the same lines...
I just installed Windows 2000 Professional last night, and it won't run 16-bit programs... (I noticed when I tried to MUD hehe)
Is there any way to get it to run them, or do I have to setup something special?
I'm going to buy a book on it during my lunch break today, so I won't be *totally* clueless next time I ask a stupid question, I'll only be *moderately* clueless Image

------------------
Nassis
Sojourner

Postby Nassis » Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:41 pm

For games that run too fast (most everything made in 286 era and earlier), find "moslo" or "mo'slo" or something.

"mo'slo <game>" runs <game> at approx 8086 speed I think. Read the docs...

Might even run megaman. Image
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:57 pm

Well I run a 2000 professional box which is not dos based, so no MoM for me Image
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nassis:
<B>For games that run too fast (most everything made in 286 era and earlier), find "moslo" or "mo'slo" or something.

"mo'slo <game>" runs <game> at approx 8086 speed I think. Read the docs...

Might even run megaman. Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moslo I think can actually set the speed, that's what I used to use to play Megaman Image

Tanras:
You mean it won't run??? Doh... That's what I just upgraded to Image
I even had to upgrade to zMUD 4.62 because 3.62 wouldn't run...
Hrmmm...
Well, hopefully within a week I'll have a network hub, so I can setup a Win98 gaming computer Image

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:55 pm

the flying heros owned. there was a couple that gave the hole stack flying wasnt their? that was too sick.
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:29 pm

Taegost,

Zmud works just fine on 2002 pro, I was refering to the dos games. Since 2000 is based on NT, there is no real DOS behind it. I am going to try to make a system disk on a 98 box and run it from there, but no clue if it will work.

Tanras
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:35 pm

<B>Taegost,

Zmud works just fine on 2002 pro, I was refering to the dos games. Since 2000 is based on NT, there is no real DOS behind it. I am going to try to make a system disk on a 98 box and run it from there, but no clue if it will work.

Tanras</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, I was referring to MoM not running, I haven't tried it yet Image
And I couldn't get 3.62 to work under 2k Pro, it kept saying "Can't run 16-bit program"
I even d/led it fresh from the web site (I haven't actually installed zMUD in like, 7 years, been using the same backed up copy with new .MUD files) and it did the same thing, but 4.62 works like a charm, and all I did was unzip it, and copy the zmud.exe, zmud.dat, and zmud.hlp files over my older ones.
I bought a book for 2k Pro yesterday, and one of the things it talks about is compatibility, the author recommends just making a dual 2k/98 machine, but it *is* possible to get most of the programs to work, as long as they don't try to access anything beyond the screen and com ports directly (Like the kernel, which is why 9x/ME crash more often)

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”