The FAQ That Never Was

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ragorn
Sojourner

The FAQ That Never Was

Postby Ragorn » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:18 am

Wrote this about... erm... 2 years ago maybe? Submitted it several times and never got a response back. Peruse if you're interested.

Sojourn Frequently Asked Questions
(or what do bored retired players spend their time doing)

Q: I'm new here, how do I find out how to play?
A: Well now, child, welcome to Sojourn! If you can spare a few minutes, perhaps you'd like to have a look through my books? I have volumes on almost every subject you can possibly imagine! If you'd like to read them, simply type "help" followed by the subject you'd like to learn about. For example, if you'd like to know about magic spells, type "help spell." My library is cross-referenced, so reading the help on one subject may lead you to related subjects you may also wish to know about. Take your time, and please don't tear the pages!

Q: What's the object of this game?
A: Strictly speaking, whatever you want it to be! There is no final boss, no end dragon, and no ultimate wizard to kill in the land of Sojourn. There is no way to "win the game" so to speak, and you will never run out of challenges. Some players make it their goal to reach level 50. Others want to defeat Tiamat, a fierce multi-headed dragon who rules over the land of Avernus. Still others prefer to collect wide assortments of items. Why, I once knew a Halfling lad who was not content until he had tasted food from every town and village in Faerun! Whatever you decide, you're sure to make friends and experience wonders and riches on your journey!

Q: I'm lost, where do I go?
A: To find adventure in the lands of Sojourn, walk out of your door in any direction! I cannot stress to you the importance of exploring your world. If ye be of a good and kind race, your hometown is probably safe for you to explore. Making a map is very helpful. The most important landmarks to note are the Inn where you can leave the game, the bank, and shops which sell food and equipment. Once you have learned the layout of the city, venture outside! Too many young adventurers are afraid to leave the gates of their own home town. For them, adventures consist of ridding the local tavern of rats or chasing bums off the streets. But if you thirst for danger and excitement, head out into the wilderness! As you stray further from towns, monsters will tend to be more difficult. Near the hometowns there are often areas where low level adventurers can earn some much needed experience.

Q: How do I quit?
A: Simply find ye an inn and type "rent." If you try to leave the game using the "quit" command, all of your hard-earned wealth will fall to the floor where you stand. Likewise, if you simply disconnect your link, your character may be subject to unknown danger. See "help rent" for more details.

Q: I have a question, who do I ask?
A: The best source of information is my expansive library. Pull up a chair and peruse my tomes at your leisure! You can access my books by using the "help" command. Help can also be followed by an argument for specific information. Example: "help ranger" would give you some background on Rangers. If the help files aren't enough, try asking another player. Many others on Sojourn are willing to answer your questions, provided you are polite and courteous! If you cannot find someone to ask and are under level 20, you may use the Newbie Helper Channel to ask. Simply type "nhc" followed by your question, and a Newbie Helper will answer if one is available. If all else fails, you can use the "petition" command to ask your question of the gods. Do not abuse petition though, as some of the gods are cranky and do not like to be disturbed!

Q: When will the MUD be finished?
A: Finished? Friend, the world is forged with life and destruction right under our feet! Additions and changes to the world of Sojourn are made nearly every day. The world is always growing, and will never truly be "finished."

Q: When is the next player wipe?
A: Though Sojourn 3 is in the Beta stages of development, there shall never be another player wipe. Nobody likes to lose the records of their travels, and so you may adventure in full confidence, knowing that what you achieve shall not be forgotten!

Q: Is player killing, stealing, or corpse looting allowed?
A: Fah, you should concern yourselves more with staving off the dark hordes of the Underdark than setting to one another with steel! Words, not swords, solve your squabbles in the land of Sojourn. Player Killing is coded against, and strictly forbidden. You may not deliberately take any actions which directly or indirectly harm another player. Such actions include healing the foul creatures with which your brethren are locked in combat, picking up fumbled weapons that do not belong to you, leading aggressive monsters into populated areas with the intent to kill other players, and so on. If you believe the action which you are about to take could be considered player killing, it probably is, so be forewarned! The sole exception to this rule is the land of Acheron, a dark and mystical place where heroes clash in arena combat. Several portals to Acheron are spread throughout the realms. If it is for blood that ye lust, find a swift steed and go in search of the portals!

Q: Are we allowed to play more than one character or create robot characters?
A: Nay, this is looked upon as cheating. You may have as many characters as you want, but you may only play one at a time. See "help multi" for the specific rules. You may also use the magicks available to you to create trigger sets and aliases, but you may not set your character up to run without your intervention. This includes looped triggers which practice your skills. It is an odd sight when I come across a mage sitting on a mountain of rations who will not answer my hail!

Q: What is the penalty for breaking the rules?
A: This is a very grave matter indeed. If the gods judge you guilty of your offense, you may receive a warning, or you may pay for your crimes by losing levels. The more serious your infraction, the more severe the punishment. For the worst criminals and the lowest of the low, we reserve the eternal sleep of deletion.

Q: What if I find a bug?
A: Bugs, nasty critters. If something doesn't act the way it should, you have several recourses. The first is to use the "bug" command to chronicle your findings, if you can be brief. Alternately, you may post the bug on the message boards located in each town. However, if the bug you find is great and can be exploited, we ask that you email it to bugs@sojourn3.org instead. Posting an abusable bug will only tempt the fates, and may lead others astray!

Q: If I find a bug, can I use it?
A: Nay! Bug abuse is considered cheating in the lands of Sojourn. If you encounter a bug, please do not attempt to exploit it for your own personal gain. Report it and then have nothing to do with it.

Q: I'm in jail! What happened?!
A: Some hometowns are controlled by a system called justice. If you break the laws and a mob or player witnesses you, he may run to the magistrate to report you. A warrant will then go out for your arrest, and other players may collect a bounty by dragging you in to face trial. You can turn yourself in to lessen your sentence, or you can hope to evade capture forever. Read "help justice" which will explain the process more thoroughly for you. In short, don't kill the common folk who have done nothing to harm you or your family!

Q: Are there death traps on Sojourn?
A: Aye, if you play your cards wrong you may be subjected to one of Shevarash's long winded speeches! Though not strictly a death trap, they have been known to drive mortals to insanity! As for rooms which automatically kill your character, none such rooms exist on Sojourn. Though, I might add, it is unwise to poke around in dark caves after partaking of too much dwarven spirits. You might find something that ends your adventure abruptly, but you need not fear the rooms themselves.

Q: How do I add areas to Sojourn?
A: Please read the help file by typing "help area making". Follow the instructions written there.

Q: What does an asterisk (*) beside a player's name mean?
A: That means that arcane magic has made that player invisible, but you possess the necessary divination to see him.

Q: If my link dies and I cannot reconnect, what do I do?
A: These things happen and you should not be overly concerned unless you're in an area of wandering nasties. Sojourn will automatically rent your character after a period of 10 idle minutes. When you return to the realms, you will find yourself exactly where you left. You will not be reimbursed if you die to lag, so adventure with care. If the MUD system or the MUD server are the cause of the lag, an Immortal will let you know.

Q: I died, can a god help me?
A: Bah! I have enough trouble keeping Gargauth from devouring all the books in my library, and you expect me to help you count your coppers? Immortals will not interfere with mortal affairs of a mundane nature, ask a friend with sharp blades and strong heart to help you out.

Q: Can I be transported by an Immortal?
A: There are several spells available to players which can move you around the game. Immortals are not allowed to transport players, so please do not ask.

Q: What if I feel something is out of balance?
A: Ah, well then leave a message on the board or email it to Sojourn. We have a bulletin board system set up at www.sojourn3.org for player comments and questions as well, feel free to stop by! You are our eyes and ears and we take your messages very seriously.

Q: Why would I get zapped by an item?
A: Some items are enchanted by powerful magicks of a certain alignment. If you get zapped and drop an item, it has taken objection to your ways and will not allow you to wear it.

Q: Trips are long and I get tired. Can I increase my movement?
A: There are items that will allow you to increase your movement, as well as backpacks that you can wear which will lighten your load and make it easier to travel over harsh terrain. Or ye can do what I do, get yerself a sure-footed elven warhorse and cover lots of ground in one day. You cannot expect to walk the world over in one day, so do not expect to be able to do the same in the land of Sojourn. There are powerful magicks in the land which can help you travel from one place to another. Perhaps you should befriend a high level Druid or Enchanter!

Q: Why are people shown as anonymous in the who list?
A: Well, these individuals do not want others knowing their class or level (especially Rogues, they'd have no friends). Others feel it is more realistic from a roleplaying point of view. Often you can tell a person's occupation by the clothes they wear. You would not see a Ranger wearing long, flowing robes and a pointy hat!

Q: How do I know if I am close to leveling?
A: If you type "score", you will see a series of arrows indicating your experience. Each arrow is equivalent to 2% of the progress toward your next level. When the arrows of your experience bar fill the gap between the two arrows on the sides, you gain a level!

Q: I'm low level and the things I kill don't have money. How can I get some?
A: Perhaps you can find a kindly traveler who would donate a coin if you ask politely. Alternately, humanoid mobs tend to carry coins, while animals do not. If you need a supplemental source of income, perhaps you can find equipment lying around or in the hands of your enemies which you can sell at the shops around the realm.

Q: My sword sank into the water, how do I get it back?
A: Alas, it is gone forever, given to the water spirits. You must be careful when fighting over water, as items dropped are forfeit forever and cannot be returned.

Q: I have a spell that sounds really cool, how can I find out what it does?
A: Ah, there certainly are strange and powerful magicks in the land of Sojourn! If you'd like information on a particular spell, simply type "help <spellname>" to see its entry in my library.

Q: I have an item, how do I find out what it does?
A: There are many shops in the realms which sell scrolls of identification which you can use. If you find one, you can type "recite scroll <item name>." If you are poor or unable to locate the magic shop, perhaps a passing Enchanter can be of some assistance.

Q: I died and I am far from my corpse, can someone get my equipment from me?
A: If a kind soul is willing to help you out of your predicament, simply use the "consent" command and they will be able to take your items from your corpse. Be careful about who you give your consent to, though. Stealing from corpses is illegal, but there are those in the realms who may be tempted by your fortunes.

Q: How do I change what channels I can hear or the display I see?
A: You can see which things you can change type "toggle" or "display". Typing "display all" goes a long way in showing you more of what's going on in combat.

Well, children, my duties call me off. If you have any questions, stop by my library sometime. I look forward to having visitors.

Ragorn Forestwalk, Caretaker of the Elven Libraries
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Wed Aug 20, 2003 3:51 am

Thank you Ragorn for that. Nicely done! If you don't mind I'll add it to the files.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Rihesesassixiz
Sojourner

Postby Rihesesassixiz » Wed Aug 20, 2003 4:10 am

I have an issue with this FAQ. What happens if the person is of the Underdark? They surely won't be slaying their kin.... You must be politically correct! :P
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:32 am

damn you ragorn i was expecting a funny joke somewhere.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:32 am

Shar wrote:Thank you Ragorn for that. Nicely done! If you don't mind I'll add it to the files.

This is all I've wanted for two years. Thank you, Shar.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:36 pm

You'll want to mention Camp in the part on leaving the game. You'll also want to mention Recall and Enter Sojourn in the section on where do I go. Mention 'consent' in the section on corpse looting/pkilling, too. Mention the (*) next to items in stores on the section about getting zapped by an item, that is, those items can't be worn by the person. Mention wearing/removing, and use of the attribute command, in the section on finding eq stats.

Couple questions I see /all/ the time on the newbie channel that weren't answered above, with my formulaic response (I just woke up, not going to take the time to make them fit the theme of the previous post):

Q: Why can't I recall?
A: Some areas are flagged no-recall, try moving around a bit and try again.

Q: It says "Nah... You feel too relaxed to do that...", but I'm not sitting or sleeping. What's wrong?
A: Type 'alert', and don't fall asleep while standing. It also happens when incap'd during a fight and getting healed back.

Q: Where do I practice my skills or scribe my spells? Why can't I practice in my guild?
A: Recall, enter sojourn. This puts you in your guild. Head to your guildmaster, type 'prac', then 'prac skillname'. For mage spells, rest, hold book, hold quill, prac spellname. You can only practice skills that are below average for your level at your guildmaster. You start out with skills well above average for a level 1. Bad is pretty good for that level. As you increase levels, you'll be able to practice more, unless you use the skill all the time. It will increase naturally, and therefore always stay above average, not able to be practiced.

Q: What's does this item do? It doesn't look like it has any stats or value.
A: Some items are quest items, or theme items, there just to be used up or for show.

Q: What's this hand in the WD cemetary for? How do I put something in it?
A: As far as I know, this hand has never been used for anything. It is purely thematic, and not part of a larger quest, even though a billion and a half newbies have asked about it (and even some newbie helpers).
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:07 pm

Another one:
Q: It's dark around here, how do I use my torch?
A: To use a torch, just hold it, but it's best to pick up an item flagged (illuminating) and keep it in your inventory. These items are permanent light sources.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”