Over the last few days

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Over the last few days

Postby Daz » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:03 am

Some of you have been cool enough to work with me on a problem I have been dealing with, namely - why my computer refuses to acknowledge the existence of my router.

I guess first the hardware

The computer is running windows XP home, and using an Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Desktop Connection onboard nic card. The router is a D-Link DI-704 model, and I have a cable connection using a Surfboard 5100 modem.

The cables are all good, and when the computer connects to the modem direct, its all butter. When I hook up the router, all lights look good - according to the manual, I should be set. OK, life is good so far, right?

I go in and try to ping the router, no luck. I check the cable, its ok - so i put in static ip settings. i attempt to ping the router - still no luck. factory reset the router, ping - nothing. attempt to release/renew the ip information - no luck. reboot the pc (why not, its windows) everything comes up, still nothing. I glare at the router, really hard, still no luck.

i reinstall the nic drivers and the card itself. pfft, yeah it should be so simple. no luck. i check the tcp/ip stuff, i check the properties of the nic card . . . nothing i can find seems to indicate that any of these issues are the problem.

i tried hooking the router up to another brand new computer, again, the router can't be seen by that computer either. however, when i took this router to a friend's house - it all worked fine.

so the router works at this other house, but when we bring it home, it wont work on either computer. the router was configured by a network guy who i think sucks ass, but he configured the router, and i didnt. is it possible that he set up the router at the other house and anything he may have set up for the router is preventing it from working here? is there some issue with the dhcp settings on my computer possibly in the registry or policies? sigh, this is a personal issue and any help is welcome at this point.

btw - yes, ill probably go buy a linksys, but til then i want this fixed dammit.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:06 am

Ah you didn't buy a linksys to begin with?
That's the problem!
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:18 am

I didnt buy the router, some person who i think should be shot bought a used d-link and he should die, but i just have to deal with what i have :(
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:51 am

even i know that d-link is the suck
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:40 am

heh, of the last 35 people who have offered help, i have gotten 32 'D-Link sucks'

i wonder if D-Link is looking for help in their public relations department :P
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:47 am

Hmm probably, but I don't think they care. I bought a d-link card and router was having issues with them so i called tech support told them my problems. The guy (who barely spoke english) tried to walk me through some steps, which he missed quite a few and i had to correct him more then one. After trying a couple things to no avail i said something about link sys and he right away transfered me to his supervisor who did speak english but i don't think he knew jack about computers. He said fine if you want link sys go buy their stuff i don't care and hung up. So i went back to best buy and swapped everything out for linksys, haven't had a single problem.

Before I moved and lost cable connection my route/switch combo had been online for over a year, beat that d-link.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:19 pm

First of all make sure you are in the same ip range, and subnet class on your router and pc. Try setting a different IP on the router than the factory default. Set up for DHCP, and check the IP address on your computer. If it looks odd pop open run and type ipconfig /renew_all then check your ip and connection. D-link has also had some problems with bad hardware batches, so you may try to google the first few characters of your serial number in a search with d-link problems.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:09 am

i have all but given up :( i am going to break down and buy a Linksys just because I want to prove that im not incompetent
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:03 pm

Just a quick thing, if the router was configured at a sifferant place as you think might've happened, then theits probably set for a differant mac address than the modem is looking for.
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:47 am

Do you have a linux box on your network? 'ping -b 255.255.255.255' will get replies from anything on the network. I looked to see if the windows ping had anything similar, but, it didn't. There's a possibility that the router was set up to serve 192.168.?.? addresses, and you're using a 10.?.?.? address or vice-versa, ping -b will show what's out there, and you can set things up appropriately.

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:39 pm

rylan, if a factory reset won't work - how can i configure it so that it WILL work on my network?

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”