My First SCA Event

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

My First SCA Event

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:39 pm

I've been asked several times what I'm doing with myself now that I'm not mudding, and thought I would share. Next time you guys need to come with me!!!
Day One:

Dear Diary,

Finally got to the campgrounds and made my way through the mud. There’s a steady rain falling, not very heavy, and it’s warm. I haven’t been able to go out and play in the rain for the last five years, so it feels great! I was too busy this last week to take a trial run at setting up my tent, so I winged it in the darkness and the rain, and found it pretty darned easy to assemble. I’m very proud of it. I shall take many pictures of just my tent over the next few days.

Once we had the campsite set up it was really too late to do much else besides all gather together in the center of the camp, sit around on the benches, and get royally stinking drunk. I haven’t been able to drink for the last five years, either, so I’m such a cheap date. I don’t think there’s any way to beat a bunch of drunks sitting in the rain, singing songs and shooting the breeze.

Around two in the morning some strange guy showed up, grabbed me around the shoulders, said “You must come to Gunarsted and PLAY!” and proceeded to lead me across a completely dark and winding (and often stumbling) trail to another campsite far, far away. The ale flowed freely there, and so did their campmembers. I think I love this place. I don’t know how I made it back to my own tent, but Brenna was there with me, and assured me that I nanced through the darkness like a drunken elf… at least I had no bruises the next morning.

Day Two:

Dear Diary,

We actually got sunshine for part of the day today, and my face is bright red now. We spent the day watching the ongoing tournaments. I watched the bardic tourney and thought of Birile and all the bardies on Soj, because they would have loved this. The tourney was set against a very steep backdrop down into a heavily treed ravine. The entire area is so beautiful. The bards sang and danced and led all the onlookers in some very rousing (and often bawdy beyond belief) ballads. There was also an archery tournament, a thrown weapon (knife, axe and spear) tourney, a heavy weapons tourney and a rapier tourney. It was a lot of fun to watch them beating on each other with the weapons, and looked a lot more painful than it does in Soj. We saw real blood, it was righteous.

That night I experienced my first middle-eastern haf… hof… hef… well I dunno how it was spelled, but it was pronounced “hoffla.” The dance floor was filled with bellydancers, some of them quite good. Three of the drummers eventually brought their drums out to the middle of the floor and had a “walkaround.” They circled the drums like they were playing ring around the rosie, sometimes one per drum, sometimes all three on the same drum, and their performance was at least as good as “STOMP,” only medieval style.

Very drunk again tonight, many lechers who take the word “no” gracefully. Gawd I love this place. The people I was camping with hosted a venison roast. Does it really get any better than this?

Day Three:

Dear Diary,

FISH FRY!!! Tonight we hosted a fish fry for the entire campgrounds and went through at least forty pounds of fresh catfish and striper, along with all the other goodies. Somehow Ian has managed to keep our campfire going since the first night, in spite on the steady rain, and now I know magic exists in the real world, too.

The heavy weapons lists were going to be canceled because of the rain today, but the fighters almost rioted and insisted on them being held anyway. How in the world do they get out there in all that armor and drenched cloth, it must weigh tons! At least their faces must be dry, as almost every single one of them has a beard a dwarf would be envious of.

We had another hoffla tonight, but most of us were partying in the camp. Dougal, a bear of a man, passed the food pavilion in the dark, felt around for a bottle and ended up swigging balsamic vinegar until he caught up to us and we smelled it on him. If he wasn’t at least 6’6” I’d swear the man was a dwarf. Damn these barbarian hordes.

I saw an astounding sight on the way to the showers this afternoon, when the rain finally slacked off enough to feel as if it was worthwhile to shower. A tall, wiry gentleman introduced himself to me as Gunar, otherwise known as “Bones,” and threatened to “bury a bone in my back yard.” When I asked him if he thought he was threatening me, he proceeded to show me his rather intimidating weapon (his father must have been a proud, proud man) in a fully aggressive stance. After I picked my jaw up out of the mud, I took the tale back to my camp, where it was sure to be spread through the rest of the campgrounds for the enjoyment of all. Some tales grow larger in the telling, and some tales have grown quite large enough before they have even begun.

Day Four:

Dear Diary,

The day started out to be not too good. Still raining, time to go home, and my car had a flat tire. As I started to change it, several burly fellows swaggered up and insisted on taking care of it for me. What a shame that I have to go home. We got the campsite packed up and cleared of all garbage and bits of stuff, then said our goodbyes. I parted with many new gifts, and many new friends, and full of wonder for life once again. The only thing I was missing over the weekend was…

My friends from Sojourn.

YOU GUYS WOULD HAVE LOVED IT!!!!!

http://www.thehightower.com/~kelly/
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:58 pm

ive been going to SCA events for years :P

i learned to drink and hit on drunk women and hit people with sticks in the SCA years ago :P
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
chandigar
Sojourner

Postby chandigar » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:19 pm

Hrmm... ok, what exactly does SCA stand for? Some more info on this thing?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:34 pm

Society for Crazed Anachronisms I believe...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:36 pm

Stupid Communitytheatre Alcoholics
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:43 pm

Society for Creative Anachronism

They're the people who put on any Renaissance faires in your area, more than likely.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:44 pm

its a place for guys to hook up, get drunk, fight, and wear skirts legally. what more can you want? seriously - they have like 'clans' and 'bands' and stuff

we went to an event and traded a half keg and 3 bottles of mead for 2 blondes

god i love the SCA
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:01 am

Wonder what we can get for Daz....

I'm thinking a ham hock and some fermented milk.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:25 am

i was traded for a fifth of vodka and a box of fruit:(
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:48 am

Wow that looks really cool.

Glad to hear you're having a great time there!
BEER

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:49 pm

Sounds like an awesome weekend! The only thing missing was a Viking Raid:) Remember . . . Vikings! We throw great beach parties!

I miss cracking a few skulls at those heavy weapons tournements and the "no kidding, there I was stories" with a full tankard around the campfire.

*sigh* I need to hit an event now:)

For those who are unformiliar with the SCA, take a look at www.sca.org for some information.

THanks for sharing :lol:
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:13 pm

hahahaha
viking football rocks hardcore
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:03 pm

Ashiwi wrote:They're the people who put on any Renaissance faires in your area, more than likely.

Most Renn Rats would burn your tent and shave your eyebrows for comparing them to a SCA'dian. The two groups don't mix well at all and most Renn Rats (the real people who do Renaissance Faires) fervently hate the SCA.
Lilithelle stops using a softly throbbing piece of flesh.
Gura group-says 'ill go solo the biznatch, just don't tell Stamm'
Kossuth responds to your petition with 'is it bad that the two words i think of when i see yer title are hottub and cthulhu? :('
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:08 am

The SCA is much larger, global, and according to Arthur C Clarke, will be a powerful force driving society into the next mellenia.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”