Information Age : Doubts about the Open Source Community

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Information Age : Doubts about the Open Source Community

Postby Daz » Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:21 pm

Two open letters have been circulating in the email in respect of the dispute between SCO and the Open Source community, writes Robin Bloor of Bloor Research. They are worth printing in their entirety:

The first is from Darl McBride of SCO

The most controversial issue in the information technology industry today is the ongoing battle over software copyrights and intellectual property. This battle is being fought largely between vendors who create and sell proprietary software, and the Open Source community. My company, the SCO Group, became a focus of this controversy when we filed a lawsuit against IBM alleging that SCO's proprietary UNIX code has been illegally copied into the free Linux operating system. In doing this, we angered some in the Open Source community by pointing out obvious intellectual property problems that exist in the current Linux software development model. This debate about Open Source software is healthy and beneficial. It offers long-term benefits to the industry by addressing a new business model in advance of wide-scale adoption by customers. But in the last week of August, two developments occurred that adversely affect the long-term credibility of the Open Source community, with the general public and with customers.

The first development followed another series of Denial of Service (DoS) attacks on SCO, which took place two weeks ago. These were the second and third such attacks in four months and have prevented Web users from accessing our web site and doing business with SCO. There is no question about the affiliation of the attacker - Open Source leader Eric Raymond was quoted as saying that he was contacted by the perpetrator and that "he's one of us." To Mr. Raymond's partial credit, he asked the attacker to stop. However, he has yet to disclose the identity of the perpetrator so that justice can be done.

No one can tolerate DoS attacks and other kinds of attacks in this Information Age economy that relies so heavily on the Internet. Mr. Raymond and the entire Open Source community need to aggressively help the industry police these types of crimes. If they fail to do so it casts a shadow over the entire Open Source movement and raises questions about whether Open Source is ready to take a central role in business computing. We cannot have a situation in which companies fear they may be next to suffer computer attacks if they take a business or legal position that angers the Open Source community. Until these illegal attacks are brought under control, enterprise customers and mainstream society will become increasingly alienated from anyone associated with this type of behavior.

The second development was an admission by Open Source leader Bruce Perens that UNIX System V code (owned by SCO) is, in fact, in Linux, and it shouldn't be there. Mr. Perens stated that there is "an error in the Linux developer's process" which allowed UNIX System V code that "didn't belong in Linux" to end up in the Linux kernel (source: ComputerWire, August 26, 2003). Mr. Perens continued with a string of arguments to justify the "error in the Linux developer's process." However, nothing can change the fact that a Linux developer on the payroll of Silicon Graphics stripped copyright attributions from copyrighted System V code that was licensed to Silicon Graphics under strict conditions of use, and then contributed that source code into Linux as though it was clean code owned and controlled by SGI. This is a clear violation of SGI's contract and copyright obligations to SCO. We are currently working to try and resolve these issues with SGI.

This improper contribution of UNIX code by SGI into Linux is one small example that reveals fundamental structural flaws in the Linux development process. In fact, this issue goes to the very heart of whether Open Source can be trusted as a development model for enterprise computing software. The intellectual property roots of Linux are obviously flawed at a systemic level under the current model. To date, we claim that more than one million lines of UNIX System V protected code have been contributed to Linux through this model. The flaws inherent in the Linux process must be openly addressed and fixed.

At a minimum, IP sources should be checked to assure that copyright contributors have the authority to transfer copyrights in the code contributed to Open Source. This is just basic due diligence that governs every other part of corporate dealings. Rather than defend the "don't ask, don't tell" Linux intellectual property policy that caused the SCO v. IBM case, the Open Source community should focus on customers' needs. The Open Source community should assure that Open Source software has a solid intellectual property foundation that can give confidence to end users. I respectfully suggest to Open Source developers that this is a far better use of your collective resources and abilities than to defend and justify flawed intellectual property policies that are out of sync with the needs of enterprise computing customers.

I believe that the Open Source software model is at a critical stage of development. The Open Source community has its roots in counter-cultural ideals - the notion of "Hackers" against Big Business - but because of recent advances in Linux, the community now has the opportunity to develop software for mainstream American corporations and other global companies. If the Open Source community wants its products to be accepted by enterprise companies, the community itself must follow the rules and procedures that govern mainstream society. This is what global corporations will require. And it is these customers who will determine the ultimate fate of Open Source - not SCO, not IBM, and not Open Source leaders.

Some enterprise customers have accepted Open Source because IBM has put its name behind it. However, IBM and other Linux vendors are reportedly unwilling to provide intellectual property warranties to their customers. This means that Linux end users must take a hard look at the intellectual property underpinnings of Open Source products and at the GPL (GNU General Public License) licensing model itself.

If the Open Source community wants to develop products for enterprise corporations, it must respect and follow the rule of law. These rules include contracts, copyrights and other intellectual property laws. For several months SCO has been involved in a contentious legal case that we filed against IBM. What are the underlying intellectual property principles that have put SCO in a strong position in this hotly debated legal case? I'd summarize them in this way:

"Fair use" applies to educational, public service and related applications and does not justify commercial misappropriation. Books and Internet sites intended and authorized for the purpose of teaching and other non-commercial use cannot be copied for commercial use. We believe that some of the SCO software code that has ended up in the Linux operating system got there through this route. This violates our intellectual property rights.
Copyright attributions protect ownership and attribution rights - they cannot simply be changed or stripped away. This is how copyright owners maintain control of their legal rights and prevent unauthorized transfer of ownership. Our proprietary software code has been copied into Linux by people who simply stripped off SCO's copyright notice or contributed derivative works in violation of our intellectual property rights. This is improper.
In copyright law, ownership cannot be transferred without express, written authority of a copyright holder. Some have claimed that, because SCO software code was present in software distributed under the GPL, SCO has forfeited its rights to this code. Not so - SCO never gave permission, or granted rights, for this to happen.
Transfer of copyright ownership without express written authority of all proper parties is null and void.
Use of derivative rights in copyrighted material is defined by the scope of a license grant. An authorized derivative work may not be used beyond the scope of a license grant. License grants regarding derivative works vary from license to license - some are broad and some are narrow. In other words, the license itself defines the scope of permissive use, and licensees agree to be bound by that definition. One reason SCO sued IBM is due to our assertions that IBM has violated the terms of the specific IBM/SCO license agreement through its handling of derivative works. We believe our evidence is compelling on this issue.
The copyright rules that underlie SCO's case are not disputable. They provide a solid foundation for any software development model, including Open Source. Rather than ignore or challenge copyright laws, Open Source developers will advance their cause by respecting the rules of law that built our society into what it is today. This is the primary path towards giving enterprise companies the assurance they need to accept Open Source products at the core of their business infrastructure. Customers need to know that Open Source is legal and stable.

Finally, it is clear that the Open Source community needs a business model that is sustainable if it is to grow beyond a part-time avocation into an enterprise-trusted development model. Free Open Source software primarily benefits large vendors, which sell hardware and expensive services that support Linux, but not Linux itself. By providing Open Source software without a warranty, these large vendors avoid significant costs while increasing their services revenue. Today, that's the only viable Open Source business model. Other Linux companies have already failed and many more are struggling to survive. Few are consistently profitable. It's time for everyone else in the industry, individuals and small corporations, to understand this and to implement our own business models - something that keeps us alive and profitable. In the long term, the financial stability of software vendors and the legality of their software products are more important to enterprise customers than free software. Rather than fight for the right for free software, it's far more valuable to design a new business model that enhances the stability and trustworthiness of the Open Source community in the eyes of enterprise customers.

A sustainable business model for software development can be built only on an intellectual property foundation. I invite the Open Source community to explore these possibilities for your own benefit within an Open Source model. Further, the SCO Group is open to ideas of working with the Open Source community to monetize software technology and its underlying intellectual property for all contributors, not just SCO. In the meantime, I will continue to protect SCO's intellectual property and contractual rights. The process moving forward will not be easy. It is easier for some in the Open Source community to fire off a "rant" than to sit across a negotiation table. But if the Open Source community is to become a software developer for global corporations, respect for intellectual property is not optional - it is mandatory. Working together, there are ways we can make sure this happens.

The following is the response from the Open Source Community, signed by Eric Raymond and Bruce Perens:

Mr. McBride, in your "Open Letter to the Open Source Community" your offer to negotiate with us comes at the end of a farrago of falsehoods, half-truths, evasions, slanders, and misrepresentations. You must do better than this. We will not attempt to erect a compromise with you on a foundation of dishonesty.

Your statement that Eric Raymond was "contacted by the perpetrator" of the DDoS attack on SCO begins the falsehoods. Mr. Raymond made very clear when volunteering his information and calling for the attack to cease that he was contacted by a third-party associate of the perpetrator and does not have the perpetrator's identity to reveal. The DDoS attack ceased, and has not resumed. Mr. Raymond subsequently received emailed thanks for his action from Blake Stowell of SCO.

Your implication that the attacks are a continuing threat, and that the President of the Open Source Initiative is continuing to shield their perpetrator, is therefore not merely both false and slanderous, but contradictory with SCO's own previous behavior. In all three respects it is what we in the open-source community have come to expect from SCO. If you are serious about negotiating with anyone, rather than simply posturing for the media, such behavior must cease.

In fact, leaders of the open-source community have acted responsibly and swiftly to end the DDoS attacks - just as we continue to act swiftly to address IP-contamination issues when they are aired in a clear and responsible manner. This history is open to public inspection in the linux-kernel archives and elsewhere, with numerous instances on record of Linus Torvalds and others refusing code in circumstances where there is reason to believe it might be compromised by third-party IP claims.

As software developers, intellectual property is our stock in trade. Whether we elect to trade our effort for money or rewards of a subtler and more enduring nature, we are instinctively respectful of concerns about IP, credit, and provenance. Our licenses (the GPL and others) work with copyright law, not against it. We reject your attempt to portray our community as a howling wilderness of IP thieves as a baseless and destructive smear.

We in the open-source community are accountable. Our source code is public, exposed to scrutiny by anyone who wishes to contest its ownership. Can SCO or any other closed-source vendor say the same? Who knows what IP violations, what stripped copyrights, what stolen techniques lurk in the depths of closed-source code? Indeed, not only SCO's past representations that it was merging GPLed Linux technology into SCO Unix but Judge Debevoise's rulings in the last big lawsuit on Unix IP rights suggest strongly that SCO should clean up its own act before daring to accuse others of theft.

SCO taxes IBM and others with failing to provide warranties or indemnify users against third-party IP claims, conveniently neglecting to mention that the warranties and indemnities offered by SCO and others such as Microsoft are carefully worded so that the vendor's liability is limited to the software purchase price. They thus offer no actual shield against liability claims or damages. They are, in a word, shams designed to lull users into a false sense of security - a form of sham which we believe you press on us solely as posturing, rather than out of any genuine concern for users. We in the open-source community, and our corporate allies, refuse to play that dishonest gam

You invite us to negotiate, but you have persistently refused to state a negotiable claim. You have made allegations of a million lines of copied code which are mathematically impossible given the known, publicly accessible history of Linux development. You have uttered vast conspiracy theories which fail to be vague only where they are slanderous and insulting. You have already been compelled to abandon major claims - such as the ownership of SMP technology alleged in your original complaint against IBM - on showings that they were false, and that you knew or should have known them to be false.

Accordingly, we of the open-source community do not concede that there is anything to negotiate. Linux is our work and our lawful property, the distillation of twelve years of hard work, idealism, creativity, tears, joy, and sweat by hundreds of thousands of cooperating hackers all over the world. It is not yours, has never been yours, and will never be yours.

If you wish to make a respectable case for contamination, show us the code. Disclose the overlaps. Specify file by file and line by line which code you believe to be infringing, and on what grounds. We will swiftly meet our responsibilities under law, either removing the allegedly infringing code or establishing that it entered Linux by routes which foreclose proprietary claims.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/32798.html

does this information affirm any positions or substantiations within the community, or does it merely deflect the issues? the admission that the linux source code DOES in fact infrige upon copyrighted materials is a debate in of itself, but i have to admit i can't really find a place to stand.

part of me does not enjoy the current economic position of the internet today, and that part of me, the part that feels that file-sharing is not such a bad thing, does not mind.

but there is a part of me that realizes that when i use p2p networks, i admit i am doing something wrong. linux stole something, and then attempts to pass it off as its own work. this i have to admit i feel different about. . .this is plagiarism, not theft. had some individual used this code for his own personal use, more power to him.

but this is like reebok taking a nike commercial, erasing the swoosh - and then advertising it as their own product.

theft for use is an entireley different topic to me than theft for profit. regardless of what you think, linux is not a charity organization - linux, open-source or not, has many profit interests. linux is a free operating system so that it can grow and spread quickly, and gain rapid adoption. the people who push linux know that it is not suitable for your typical computer user, it is NOT a fail-safe unattackable haven that microsoft trembles before.

linux is just another, granted more successful, component of the early internet era that busted. give something for free, push for its growth through hype and marketing, and then - when it reaches a suitable saturation point, turn on the faucet and start milking it for money.

some distrobutions have already started to do this, obviously tired of waiting for the magic moment to arrive. putting linux on store shelves, with a $200 dollar price tag, claiming 'Free Operating System with enclosed support and documentation materials.' What a hypocrital joke.

Microsoft charges money for a product, you can hate it - but its not that expensive. They support it, they maintain it, and they improve it. They don't charge for the most part, or they charge nominal fees. Microsoft gives me more for my money than linux gives me . . . and linux is supposedly 'free.'

Will linux update itself for me? Will linux install, update, monitor, and maintain my drivers and libraries without my own work? Will linux report problems to some foreign network geek to be monitored and repaired . . . again, without my work? The time spent making linux do what windows does for me is worth far more to me than the money i spent on windows. just because microsoft makes money for putting out a useful product and service, they have the scorn and disrespect of the entire open-source community.

The irony in my eyes is that the faults within windows that are touted as 'major problems' are really only problems because the open-source community is the same community that exposes the faults and damages networks and computers alike.

microsoft is flawed because the open-source community ceaselessly attacks them. if microsoft users responded by organizing a massive launch of attacks on linux, or if open-source invested the time in attacking windows on attacking their own system, they would improve it as much as microsoft improves windows.

but they dont, they wont, and as a result, myself, and many others - will continue using and supporting windows products for many years to come.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Sep 12, 2003 11:04 pm

The ease of use for Microsoft products is what draws me to them, as you said. They require very little, if any, overhead to maintain and improve, and the only reason so many flaws are exposed and viruses like MSBlaster affect so much, is because it is so widely used, and so popular. Linux would be in the same boat for the same reasons, if it had a large enough base.

As far as Linux stealing code, I would have to say they should pay the penalty if they're caught. Even though I download files from p2p programs, I never distribute them to anyone else, and do not use them for profit or personal gain. Even then, if I was caught, I would know that I should pay the fines. It is illegal, and rightfully so, even if I disagree with that and the way it's handled.

Edit: On a side note, while reading through every line of the first letter, I kept waiting to see when it would end. By that time, I thought the best response from the Open Source people would be, "Suck it."
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:29 am

Todrael wrote:Edit: On a side note, while reading through every line of the first letter, I kept waiting to see when it would end. By that time, I thought the best response from the Open Source people would be, "Suck it."

;)

May I have your attention please?
May I have your attention please?
Will the real UNIX Owner please stand up?
I repeat, will the real UNIX Owner please stand up?
We're gonna have a problem here..
Y'all act like you never seen linux source code before
Jaws all on the floor like Bruce, like Linus just burst in the door
and started whoopin that SCO's ass worse than before
they were first with the source, throwin it over IBM (Ahh!)
It's the return of the... "Ah, wait, no way, you're kidding,
he didn't just say what I think he did, did he?"
And Novell Man said... nothing you idiots!
Novell Man's dead, he's locked in my basement! (Ha-ha!)
Kernel lovin men love Novell too
SCO UNIX, I'm sick of it
Look at them, walkin around suing users' you-know-what
Flippin the you-know-who, "Yeah, but he's so cute though!"
Yeah, SCO probably got a couple of screws up in the head loose
But no worse, than what's goin on in their corporate boardrooms
Sometimes, I wanna get on Slashdot and just let loose, but can't
but it's cool for Cowboy Neal to spread his lie caboose
"My source is on your lips, my source is on your lips"
And if I'm lucky, you might just give it a little kiss
And that's the message that we deliver to little kids
And expect them not to know what an OS's source code is
Of course they gonna know what linux sourse is
By the time they hit fourth grade
They got the Discovery Channel don't they?
"We ain't nothing but hackers.." Well, some of us are slackers
who cut other people open like smashed crackers But if we can hack a dead OS and take our source
then there's no reason that a man and his penguin can't recourse
But if you feel like I feel, I got the antidote
Men here wave anti-SCO flags, sing the chorus and it goes
I'm UNIX Owner, yes I'm the real Owner
All you other UNIX Owners are just lying loaners
So won't the real UNIX Owner please stand up,
please stand up, please stand up?
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:31 am

i am just geeky enough to not be ashamed to admit that i have just read one of the funniest pieces of literature ever composed.

hurrah.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:20 am

Nice para-by-para demolition of the SCO Information Minister's "farrago of falsehoods, half-truths, evasions, slanders, and misrepresentations".

If you have the patience, why not take an annotated tour of SCO's actual complaint against IBM? Greg Lehey avers that "It must be one of the most stupid documents I've ever seen.", and he's pretty spot on with that comment. If you think the OSI's analysis is prejudicial, the comment-free original is of course available at SCO itself.

And then enjoy as The Empire Strikes Back, which I forsee will end with SCOs bankruptcy and a well-deserved chunk of jail time for Darl McBride.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Eilorn
Sojourner

Re: Information Age : Doubts about the Open Source Community

Postby Eilorn » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:47 am

Daz wrote:
does this information affirm any positions or substantiations within the community, or does it merely deflect the issues? the admission that the linux source code DOES in fact infrige upon copyrighted materials is a debate in of itself, but i have to admit i can't really find a place to stand.

part of me does not enjoy the current economic position of the internet today, and that part of me, the part that feels that file-sharing is not such a bad thing, does not mind.

but there is a part of me that realizes that when i use p2p networks, i admit i am doing something wrong. linux stole something, and then attempts to pass it off as its own work. this i have to admit i feel different about. . .this is plagiarism, not theft. had some individual used this code for his own personal use, more power to him.

but this is like reebok taking a nike commercial, erasing the swoosh - and then advertising it as their own product.

You didn't read the whole article, did you? The second half was a denial of the claims made by McBride in the first half.

As well there may be some confusion as to claims.... Some people, when referring to the kernel (operating system) refer to it as 'linux', and this is how Linux Thorvalds refers to it. Others (myself included), refer to the kernel and all the software that comprises a working system (desktop or server) as 'linux'. I'm unclear as to whether SCO is claiming infringement solely in the kernel, or in the entire melange of software. I just wrote a perl program and counted the number of lines in C files (not headers) in the linux-2.4.20 distribution, and there were 4636 files, comprising 3333733 lines of code.

Saying that there are one million lines of infringing code is patent nonsense. That's one third of the code. I don't know how long the kernel has been publicly available, certainly longer than 10-12 years, but, it's been PUBLICLY available the entire time... people have seen the development and the evolution of the code, and, as has been covered elsewhere, Linus has refused inclusion of code with any hint of IP taintedness. AND if they were refering to utilities and programs, that ALSO is patent nonsense... I dare say you can go back, via Google, and see the development of every piece of code as they get wrangled over in mailing lists/news groups/bbs.

Anyway, I don't know the full scoop, as I've not seen the 'suspect' code. But you've got to trust someone... I trust Linus, and he says SCO is smoking crack. I have written kernel code, and have perused some portions of the linux kernel (not the entire kernel, only file system and some parts of the IP stack) enough to have placed that trust. Your mileage may vary.

Just because someone claims something, does not mean that their claim is worth a hill of beans. I could claim that I ACTUALLY wrote all the songs claimed to be written by the Beatles, and that Sony and Michael Jackson owe me a boatload of money... it wouldn't fly well in court, but, I could make that claim. And their being DoS'd is a red herring and has no bearing on anything.

Eilorn.
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:37 am

Just curious why a perl program to count lines of code instead of find and wc?
Seems easier to me, but maybe I'm not seeing something.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”