Epstein-Barr Virus

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Epstein-Barr Virus

Postby Daz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:43 pm

has anyone here heard of it, know anyone who has the illness, or is aware of any successful treatment programs or medical remedies? Im doing research for a friend and any info would be appreciated, thanks guys.

and yes, im googling it.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:05 pm

Ok, after research I think what she actually has is CFIDS - chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome.

im reading the web sites about it, but again - experience firsthand is greatly welcomed.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:08 pm

i found some info ot the Centre for Disease Control http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/ebv.htm

SUMMARY OF INTERPRETATION

The diagnosis of EBV infection is summarized as follows:

Susceptibility
If antibodies to the viral capsid antigen are not detected, the patient is susceptible to EBV infection.

Primary Infection
Primary EBV infection is indicated if IgM antibody to the viral capsid antigen is present and antibody to EBV nuclear antigen, or EBNA, is absent. A rising or high IgG antibody to the viral capsid antigen and negative antibody to EBNA after at least 4 weeks of illness is also strongly suggestive of primary infection. In addition, 80% of patients with active EBV infection produce antibody to early antigen.

Past Infection
If antibodies to both the viral capsid antigen and EBNA are present, then past infection (from 4 to 6 months to years earlier) is indicated. Since 95% of adults have been infected with EBV, most adults will show antibodies to EBV from infection years earlier. High or elevated antibody levels may be present for years and are not diagnostic of recent infection.

Reactivation
In the presence of antibodies to EBNA, an elevation of antibodies to early antigen suggests reactivation. However, when EBV antibody to the early antigen test is present, this result does not automatically indicate that a patient's current medical condition is caused by EBV. A number of healthy people with no symptoms have antibodies to the EBV early antigen for years after their initial EBV infection. Many times reactivation occurs subclinically.

Chronic EBV Infection
Reliable laboratory evidence for continued active EBV infection is very seldom found in patients who have been ill for more than 4 months. When the illness lasts more than 6 months, it should be investigated to see if other causes of chronic illness or CFS are present.

Here is a link to sceince.org
http://www.science.org.au/nova/026/026key.htm

contains a bit of histroy on it.

Another site with some links to some clinical research and stuff.
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/lmi/ebv/links.html

I would recommend also going to a physician, or the National Health department web site. Maybe going to someones personal page who has the virus and deals with it, they may be able to point you to some on line resources or where to go other than the internet.

Well good luck, hope this helped.
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:22 pm

You're diagnosing someone with the web???
hehe, try a medical doctor first
then get a second opinion if not happy with first
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:41 pm

I recommend going to a clinic/hospital as oposed to using google to diagnose rare medical conditions. Doctors tend to be much more effective.
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Sep 19, 2003 10:15 pm

Maybe Jhorr could correct me if I'm wrong.. but isn't Epstein-Barr otherwise known as mononucleosis? Hardly a 'rare medical condition' no?

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:28 pm

that wasnt what i thought it was at first, it turns out that her symptoms fall much more in line with the chronic fatigue and immune defective syndrome or something

it really sucks
Stamm
Sojourner

Postby Stamm » Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:59 am

Without reading one sentence in this thread, apart from my noticing my surname. It sounds like yet another excuse for opting out.
Cruk
Sojourner

Postby Cruk » Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:39 pm

EBV sucks, you're not supposed to drink alcohol :cry:

Cruk

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”