goodie hitters

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
azzixxenae
Sojourner

goodie hitters

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Feb 16, 2001 6:50 pm

We know that Trolls ruled as tanks for the evil side, but how did dwarves fare when compared to barbs as warriors. It seems the half-pints would be primarily for RP purposes when compared to barbs. No?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 16, 2001 7:53 pm

You're gonna wish you hadn't said that.
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Fri Feb 16, 2001 8:27 pm

I have one thing to say.

rar.
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Fri Feb 16, 2001 8:43 pm

*shrug* I think dwarves were comparable. not to mention they had infra. It's all in the flavor of RP though, which a person would pick though. So from that aspect I think you're right.

I mean ogres did far better as damage dealers than trolls anyways, right? Otherwise why wouldn't everyone go for the regen over doorbash?
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri Feb 16, 2001 9:24 pm

If i remember correctly, wasn't it a small band of dorf warriors that sped on up to 50 after that last wipe? I remember Soj2 comin up, and not like a week or so later, seeing Thruar (correct?) at 50. Those little dorfs are powerful, lemme tell ya.
Kajib
Sojourner

Postby Kajib » Fri Feb 16, 2001 9:27 pm

Dont let Gormal read this thread Image
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Feb 16, 2001 10:23 pm

Hrmm, mental note to self: If you roll a goodie do not mention that you post as Azzixxene.
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Fri Feb 16, 2001 10:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galkar:
If i remember correctly, wasn't it a small band of dorf warriors that sped on up to 50 after that last wipe? I remember Soj2 comin up, and not like a week or so later, seeing Thruar (correct?) at 50. Those little dorfs are powerful, lemme tell ya.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup! At the time I grouped with Dhurn and Jhorr for exps. Somehow pulled away and got 50. 2 months and 23 days to be exact. Got it off the evil black wizards on Moonshae Islands. Kind of wonder if that was the reason they downgraded the levels of those mobs. Invokers should have been the first to 50 from the amount of damage exp they were getting at the time, than my 2 attacks a round.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:27 am

Good call Rags and Jib...enter the gormal

Dwarves were almost !flee on dragon roar...which was very nice in zones like jot with wandering roar mobs on an aggro grid. or tiamat.
one word..Rockcrusher.
dwarves also were way better to roleplay! Fat smelly barb or drunken dwarf! (*hic karaz*)
innate infravision is always nice.
And yellow ansi owns crappy blue.
because therdan said so! *beer therdan*
barbarians are a superior fighter for hps and strength yeah...dwarves had so much more potential for fun though. How many good warriors were there barbarian last wipe compared to dwarves? Seemed like it was pretty equal....jurdex bregar tramok jhorr even rerolled as a barb i think when he had his little accident:P We had so many dwarven warriors though there was many a time when we took off on dwarf only escapades!

Enjoy!

Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Sat Feb 17, 2001 1:57 am

I seem to recall that most dorfs had at least 5-10% more hp than a warrior at the same lvl. As far as strength goes, I think both were about the same. I think that there again dorfs might have had a slight advantage.

I loved playing a barbie warrior for one reason--bodyslam!!!

Lyt aka Vaaz the barbie warrior
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sat Feb 17, 2001 2:19 am

I didn't put alot of testing into it, but at 100 str without any +max, dwarves got +4/+4, barbs got +4/+5. Barbs +hit/dam notched more with +max_str then dwarves. Dwarves had better con though. Yes, dwarves got rockcrusher, but barbs had the best shield (IMHO) in the game.
Tempus shield.

So its a toss up, I think they equal out to be about the same.

Except for RP, Gormal may be right about that Image
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Feb 17, 2001 2:52 am

Basicly Dwarfs and Barbs both make good warriors. Barbs get bodyslam and can bash bigger enimies but dwarfs get more hp's and I guess (never seen it myslef) dont get scared by roar. Seems to ballence out.
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galok Icewolf:
<B>I didn't put alot of testing into it, but at 100 str without any +max, dwarves got +4/+4, barbs got +4/+5. Barbs +hit/dam notched more with +max_str then dwarves. Dwarves had better con though. Yes, dwarves got rockcrusher, but barbs had the best shield (IMHO) in the game.
Tempus shield.

So its a toss up, I think they equal out to be about the same.

Except for RP, Gormal may be right about that Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dwarves at the last str notch as well as barbarians get 4/6 hit/dam. Both classes also average around the same hit points somewhere around 650-690+. Barbarians get to use bodyslam as an innate but has a hometown in the middle of nowhere near WD. Dwarves has infravision. There is a hidden modifier I seem to have noticed that barbarians with better 2h bash as the same character level as well as skill level than a dwarven warrior, it might be the height difference as well as barbarians are 50-90+ pounds more heavier than dwarves. Dwarves seem to have a hidden modifier of not fleeing as often on dragon ROAR! and has better resistance vs. spells.
As for rockcrusher, as long as you are not evil fighter, anyone can use it including barbarians.

That reminds me. Years ago I was one of the only few person who played a dwarven warrior as well as Mithlin and Dohrum and we were good alignment warriors. Safe to say 80% of the warriors were evil alignment barbarians all because of the dragonbone bracelets and they start at WD at the time. Towards the end of soj2/toril era 80% of the barbarian warriors were neutral/evil. Just personal speculation.
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:52 am

They imped a ton of race restrictions after soj1?, including rockcrusher. It was made dorf only, unfortunately. Image

[This message has been edited by Verarb (edited 02-16-2001).]
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Feb 17, 2001 3:53 am

Size matters for bashing. Barbs hat more mass and tended to bash esp bigger mobs) more regularly. And the best shield I thought was the adamantium one from GN that was max_wt. Only two of us had em tho. I seem to recall barbs getting more hps tho...i coulda swore they hit 1k hp with a polkadot cloak and 2 ameys...i thought i had to wear more then that despite being a couple levels shy of 50.
yeah bodyslam is nice....but realistically i think i used infravision then any warrior used bodyslam.
And im almost positive crusher is good (maybe nuetral too) dwarf only. I know of about 6 og us who had them last wipe...magically all dwarves..even jurdex's cleric as opposed to his warrior..go figure. I can't find my copy of the exact stats it had all around. Maybe it was changed for S2..I dunno I wasnt even close to a big player before last wipe.

Gorm
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Sat Feb 17, 2001 4:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>I seem to recall barbs getting more hps tho...i coulda swore they hit 1k hp with a polkadot cloak and 2 ameys...i thought i had to wear more then that despite being a couple levels shy of 50.

Gorm</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think only 2 barbarian warriors i've seen who had alot of hps were glaron 724 natural and dlur's warrior who was barbarian went over 700+ natural. My dwarf had 695. but most people average somewhere in the 680 range for barbarians or dwarves. I conclude that those that are good race warriors who get over 700+ hps are lucky indeed.
Aedaris
Sojourner

Postby Aedaris » Sat Feb 17, 2001 6:13 am

Dwarf Warrios kicked Ass, especially Dhurn

Aedaris/Veldrex/Juneth
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Sat Feb 17, 2001 10:25 am

Dorfie warriors were great in HPS. I used to play a tiny one, called Krob. I am pretty sure no one remembers his ass.
The hps were great and dont forget infra.

Only thing that really sucked with this dude was headbutt. Since I was in a lot of headbutt competitions as a barbie (Kryga), for example knocking out that Deva dragon on Jot, this is what i missed most.
I dont think i could even reach high enuf to butt a halfling, so practicing this skill was out of the question.
Since warriors have no new skills at the higher levels, that sucked big time.

Yeah I like warriors...

Zogur/Kryga/Krob
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Mon Feb 19, 2001 8:59 am

Lets not forget dwarves used to be able to bash those damn werewolves in Ice Crag. Of course, Asamoth would just paralyze them so its kind of a moot point.

Tagad
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Feb 19, 2001 12:01 pm

Paralysing 6 werewolves + master?

Wouldn't fight be over before he could hit7 succesful para's?

/Jegzed
Tagad
Sojourner

Postby Tagad » Tue Feb 20, 2001 6:46 am

Paralyze master in normal form.
Kill.
Thx Starseed Nebula.

Tagad Sigil
Tovel
Sojourner

Postby Tovel » Tue Feb 20, 2001 7:55 am

Dorf thief owned all hitters :P
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Feb 20, 2001 10:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tovel:
Dorf thief owned all hitters :P</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even better than centaur ranger?

/Jegzed
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Feb 20, 2001 12:52 pm

You guys talking about Archie? smirk! I don't recall him being done without him shifting, that is until I did it, but it would explain the nasty little surprise I found. . . he was given a nasty little ability: Whenever you hit Archie in his non-transformed form, you would become paralyzed for a time. Neat - o! He stayed in Archie form cuz the transformation was based on his hitting someone, not being hit, snicker. Opps I dont know if I should say that. Anyway I got in a bit of trouble for that stunt =) *flutter* What's a bored ranger do to! Anyone want the details, email me. snicker.

Lost
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Feb 21, 2001 12:54 am

I know a few people who did it solo or duo last wipe....necros could wank it goonda!:P
Faedril
Sojourner

Postby Faedril » Fri Feb 23, 2001 2:51 pm

Hello All
How about those Elven Warriors...
Rare Breed.....

Can't say they were especially powerful in any way, but its fun to be unique. I toyed
with a Drow for a bit, and I think that in a 1 on 1 fight even a Drow would "own" a grey elf!
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Sun Mar 04, 2001 3:05 pm

Dwarves are ugly smelly grubby little things that would fight a rabit yeti for a torn bar rag stained with 6 month old ale......
They are no match for us big sexy brutish barbarians!!

But seriously if the code is set up right a barbarain should be able to bash larger mobs and dorves avoid being bashed by some larger mobs.. If you are into headbutting sheep play a dorf, if you wanna bash bigger stuff then a barb (should) be better. But in the end it all evens out, rolepaying is the key to most races. A buffed up halfling warrior can tank Jot... But like all zones if your dim-witted dorf cleric isn't fast enough to heal you then YOU'RE ALL GUNNA DIE anyway :P
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Mar 04, 2001 7:36 pm

Dwarves can't even headbutt sheep. It was pretty rare to find a mob headbuttable by a dorf. Despite their size.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Sun Mar 04, 2001 11:40 pm

The worth of a warrior lies not within their race but in the skill of the player.

Oh, and a Twilight helps.

I heard Glaron had his hps setbit btw.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”