Cable connection wierdness, need help.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Kifle
Sojourner

Cable connection wierdness, need help.

Postby Kifle » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:27 pm

Ok, before I suffer through the retards at tech support I figured I'd come to you guys.

For some reason every so often my connection seems to just poop out and drops everything that i'm doing. I'll be downloading something or on the mud, and all of a sudden it just drops me. My modem still shows me having a connection though. Anybody know what's goin on here, or how to fix it?
Taleer
Sojourner

Re: Cable connection wierdness, need help.

Postby Taleer » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:18 pm

Kifle wrote:Ok, before I suffer through the retards at tech support I figured I'd come to you guys.

For some reason every so often my connection seems to just poop out and drops everything that i'm doing. I'll be downloading something or on the mud, and all of a sudden it just drops me. My modem still shows me having a connection though. Anybody know what's goin on here, or how to fix it?

I see how it is. Go to the top shelf retards first! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Ok. Quick quiz everyone else is going to ask you these.

1. Is the modem hooked directly to your computer, or do you use a router/firewall?

2. What OS are you using?

3. What software are you running? (Anti-Virus/Software firewall/Spam Protectors/ etc. ad. nauseum)

4. What's in it for us? (Do you have the hookup for Nookie from Nokie or something comparable value{i know there is nothing of comparable value, but you can try you know}?)
Team Cyric!

Fleeing is for wimps.
Could some one help me find where I left all my corpses?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:04 am

Taleer wrote:I see how it is. Go to the top shelf retards first! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

Ok. Quick quiz everyone else is going to ask you these.

1. Is the modem hooked directly to your computer, or do you use a router/firewall?

2. What OS are you using?

3. What software are you running? (Anti-Virus/Software firewall/Spam Protectors/ etc. ad. nauseum)

4. What's in it for us? (Do you have the hookup for Nookie from Nokie or something comparable value{i know there is nothing of comparable value, but you can try you know}?)

1. no router, just direct connection.

2. WinME

3. NO anti-virus, had zone alarm installed but i had to uninstall it because It was bothering me more than helping i'd imagine, no spam guards etc...

4. I will do what I can to get you nokie nookie, but I would have a better chance at hooking you up with a flamer like rylan or mitharx.
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:56 am

Kifle wrote:
2. WinME

Format and install XP or 2000.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:30 am

Drakkoth wrote:
Kifle wrote:
2. WinME

Format and install XP or 2000.

before I go out and fork over cash to get XP, is there going to be much of a change...also i hear XP has a weakness that has recently been found that makes hacking it almost too easy.

Another thing I was talking to a friend about...I am connected to my modem using a USB cable rather than through ethernet...would it be worth the effort to go out and get an ethernet card and some cable, or is the USB port going to be able to handle the modem?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:59 am

Windows ME...Well, you know. Let's give you an anology I know you'll understand. Windows ME is like the red headed step child that gets beaten, and no one talks about. Who's distant cousin happens to be named Windows NT4. (or if you're really lame, 3.5.1). So far, I agree. Fork over the cash for XP. Go download linux, put up a linux firewall and you won't have a problem with the lame windows exploits.

But, there you go!
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:33 am

windowsME is the most horrid . . . well, its been said.

aside from that, why pay for xp? go download it free

anyone got any comments on the current beta leaks of longhorn? im thinking of installing it on a brand new computer, observations?
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:20 pm

WinME is most likely the problem.
I have a couple other suggestions, but won't tell you now after your lame attempt at a joke :P
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:30 pm

I'd say fork out the 15 bucks it'd take to get an ethernet card. I had the same problem with my cable modem (win98se) when I tried connecting through the usb port. Going ethernet cleared it right up. And hey, if it doesn't work, ya only lost $15.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:29 pm

Oh its connected with USB? hahahahahahaha, that'll do it.. kifle you turdburglar

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”