Help!!! Question for someone who knows!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Abue
Sojourner

Help!!! Question for someone who knows!

Postby Abue » Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:05 pm

How is the point size of a font calculated? I have a Cadkey drawing with text that has a certain character height and a certain aspect ratio. Anybody know how to determine the point size for this? This text is in arial font. I figure someone must have a clue. Thanks in advance.

On a side note. I just noticed this today. Is that fast or what?

(Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp. said on Monday it has built the world's fastest microchip, which will enable communications systems to run far more quickly. The integrated circuit runs at more than 110 GigaHertz, or 110 billion cycles per second, meaning it will be able to process more than 2.8 million pages of text per second.
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:38 pm

Point size is in 1/72". So 31 point is .5", 72 point is 1". AFAIK, aspect ratio doesn't play into it but Cadkey may treat it differently.

.xyd
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Abue:
<B>
On a side note. I just noticed this today. Is that fast or what?

(Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp. said on Monday it has built the world's fastest microchip, which will enable communications systems to run far more quickly. The integrated circuit runs at more than 110 GigaHertz, or 110 billion cycles per second, meaning it will be able to process more than 2.8 million pages of text per second.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw that too, making a 220 GHz transistor.
It's mostly used for networking and communications tho, which means, "We can make it, but you lamerz won't be able to get it until about 2050!"

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:24 pm

It depends on what you mean by font size. Fonts have several measurments associated with them: ascent, descent, and leading. The 'line' that the font aligns to is called the 'baseline', ascent is the measurment from the baseline to the top of the highest letter, descent is the measurement from the baseline to the lowest descending portion of a letter (e.g. the bottom of a 'y'), and the leading is the measurement from the bottom of the descent to the succeding line's ascent. 'Generally' speaking, font size is ascent + descent. Aspect ratio doesn't really relate to font size, it is the ratio of the font ascent to the height of the letter 'x' (though fonts may have variable height lower case letters to complicate things :-). As Xyd said, point size is 1/72", but, one twelve point font does not necessarily have the same attributes as another, and may look lighter or heavier than another because of differing combinations. Generally, when you need to substitute one font for another, substituting a font with similar attributes will work best.

Eilorn.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”