East/West

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Bopple
Sojourner

East/West

Postby Bopple » Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:16 am

It amazes me when i find the striking similarities or the seemingly small but actually profound differences between the East and the West.

let's talk about some words...
first, "f*ing" - in korean, WordA means f*ing. interesting thing is, this word has both the meaning of having sex and of cursing exactly like f*ing.

now about "sorry" - we have WordB for sorry. and it's seemingly identical to sorry and it's used when you apologize. but it's quite different if you look into it a bit more.

when a man in the East commits a fault(however trivial), he is willing to apologize. for the easterns it's one of a virtue to uphold to acknowledge his fault and to apologize. then he's considered to be a broad-minded one. because we know how hard it is to get courageous enough to acknowledge his own fault.
but it seems to me, the westerns think it's kinda acknowledging he is inferior.

[This message has been edited by Bopple (edited 03-09-2002).]
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:07 pm

Bop .. U ever looked up the work F*ck in the dictionary??

The word sorry has so many uses ... check all of them .. you may have heard it used as inferior ..ie.."Dammit Ambar what a SORRY ASS Shaman You are" so yes .. it can be used that way .. but it is also used as an apology ... "I'm sorry, Ambar .. i didnt know you were such a SORRY ASS Shaman"

giggle!

-Jen

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”