sojourn3.org

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Xyd
Sojourner

sojourn3.org

Postby Xyd » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:22 am

Why doesn't someone update all the html here to point to the IP address rather than the domain name, and post a message on the Soj3 welcome screen? I cannot see sojourn3.org via DNS through my ISP or my office. Is that why the website is so dead?

I don't play anymore so I need this board to be lively! :-)

.xyd
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:23 am

just add the ip address to your host table. miax said it was going to be fixed yesterday, not sure what the status is.
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:58 am

Already did that. Image Was just thinking of all the others out there that don't know how to do that.

.xyd

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:01 pm

DNS...

No one expected it to be down as long as it was, and Shevy/I have both been very busy with work and RL lately. For those that know how DNS works, a DNS (like sojourn3.org) is associated with my Email address, which I use to authenticate myself and verify all changes I want to make. For Soj, it was ksk@mediaone.net. Of course, MediaOne chose Now to shut down their Email servers AND their DNS servers (which sojourn used) forever. To add salt to the wound, RR installed a Firewall in the building at around the same time, which they allowed the mud through because the mud is such low bandwidth (port 9999), but they wouldn't allow DNS through, which in concert with MediaOne going down, made this process incredibly painful and drawn out.

I've now bought commercial DNS services from a company that hopefully wont fall off the map, and as such we're in much better shape than we were before. Sorry for the long inconvenience with this, it shouldn't happen again. Chaulk it up as one of the woes we all must endure because the game is free and run my volunteers.

We're back now!

Miax
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Mar 29, 2002 2:40 pm

Miax,

Thank you for your continued work and support. Without you and the other gods, we wouldn't have all the fun we do.

Thanks again,

Toplack

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:51 pm

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:39 am

For what it's worth, I did try and fix the BBS to use the IP rather than the hsotname, but it turned out to be a huge pain in the arse...

And of course the DNS started working the next day. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:39 am

For what it's worth, I did try and fix the BBS to use the IP rather than the hsotname, but it turned out to be a huge pain in the arse...

And of course the DNS started working the next day. Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”