Wow, I'm about to be a millionaire

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
cherzra
Sojourner

Wow, I\'m about to be a millionaire

Postby cherzra » Mon Apr 08, 2002 9:51 pm

Sent to me only, a personal e-mail by dr. Lateef Karimu! How kind of him to be willing to share 32m US dollars... and no, you can't contact him, I'm about to be rich!

OFFICE OF THE CO-ORDINATOR
CONTRACT REVIEW PANEL
NIGERIAN NATIONAL PETROLEUM
CORPORATION.
TEL NO: 2348033016850

REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE

I am Dr.Lateef Karimu, the Co-ordinator of the contract Review Panel of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Sometime Ago, a Contract was awarded to a conglomerate of Foreign Companies by my Committee on behalf of the NNPC. The Contract was Overinvoiced to the tune of US$32.5Million (Thirty Two Million Five Hundred Thousand united states Dollars). This was done delibrately by one of my colleagues and I to benefit from this project. This funds are presently lying in the NNPC accounts having observed all laid down protocols. This surplus US$32.5Million is what we ask that you help us receive, by providing an account for lodgement of the funds since it is forbidden for us government workers or people in public office to operate foreign bank accounts under our government
policy.

On final conclusion of this project, 70% of this surplus shall be for us, while 25% shall be for you and the remaining 5% shall be used to compensate either party should there be any expenses incurred. You should be informed that all arrangements to make you the beneficiary contractor of the funds shall be perfected from our office and upon our final recommedations, our bankers will transfer the funds directly to your account.

This piece of information should however be kept to yourself alone as we are still very much in government service.

Send me an email or call me immediately to let me know if you would be of assistance.

Regards,
Dr.Lateef Karimu.

(sent back a 'yes please I am a gullible idiot!' mail)

Dear friend,

Thank you very much for your response to our letter RE: REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE. We have discussed your response and having the firm belief that we can count on your total support and confidentiality, we would proceed without any reservation to bring you into the complete picture of the pending project.

However we would like to reiterate the importance of confidentiality, as we are career civil servants still in active service and would not like our names to be brought to the odium or our long tenure in office jeopardized. More so, the gains of the pending project can only be enjoyed by us all (including you) after the transfer and we have disbursed the funds with absolute peace of mind knowing that the project and the transfer itself is known to we partners (+you) only. You must agree with me that a successful transfer of the funds per se, which does not guarantee enjoyment of the funds with absolute peace of mind, is no success. In Africa we have a proverb, which says, "Money that cannot be enjoyed does not make one rich". You can therefore understand why we are hammering on the importance of confidentiality, as a non-religious observance of this basic essential, is the only thing capable of importing any risk to this project, which under our modalities is 100% risk free, on
ce we get total cooperation from you. On our part, we understand the importance of this and cannot perform less in this regard. We therefore crave your indulgence in this and expect same from us, being 100% confidential about the affairs of this project, please do not let us down. If you follow our instructions religiously, promptly and accordingly as the originators, the project can be accomplished within 7-10 working days totally risk free and hitch free. This is our guarantee to you.

WHAT MUST BE DONE:

You are to send me by email today your bank account details which you intend to receive the money in question (US$32.5Million), your full name, complete address, telephone and fax number (if any) to enable me make
applications for the funds transfer to the Central Bank of Nigeria through my office the Contract Review Panel. We shall introduce you as the bona fide contractor at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) as who executed Contract No:035/NNPC/WR-PH/95. Based on the homework we have done, the application will be approved and sent to the Central Bank of Nigeria (C.B.N.) for the final approval after which the funds would be transferred to your nominated account by telegraphic transfer or solar draft for us all.

We being civil servants are very conscious of the dictates of the law, this is in order to safe guard our positions as civil servants would make sure you are registered with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) as a CATEGORY “A” contractor because only a bona fide registered company is granted contracts.

Once the Federal Ministry of Finance approves the contract for payment the contractors amendment act of 1995 provides that the beneficiary of the contract payment (You) shall be required to be present in Nigeria and endorse the classified transfer documents at the international remittance office of the Central Bank of Nigeria (C.B.N). Alternatively if the beneficiary is unable to come to Nigeria to endorse, He can endorse at the offshore payment centre in Europe, or He is allowed to retain the services of a local attorney who is a registered consultant at the Central Bank of Nigeria, to endorse on his behalf provided there is a properly executed power of attorney to that effect. I would advise that in your response you should indicate the option most suitable to you and also when it will be convenient for you to travel.

I want to emphasize here that all expenses incurred by all partners in the process of this transaction shall be paid back when the funds are remitted. The funds shall be shared in the ratio 70% for us, 25% for you and the remaining 5%
for refunding all expenses incurred by all parties during the course of this transaction.

At the end of the transaction two of us shall then arrive the country of your nominated bank account for the purpose of securing our share and using your assistance to purchase goods for importation to Nigeria. We intend to import
Agricultural Machinery and Electrical appliances or Computer and Accessories.

We count very much on your cooperation and support. Please remember that confidentiality must be our watchword, as the advantages accruable to us from strict compliance with it can never be over-emphasized. Once again thank you for your response.

Also due to the vital nature of this transaction, it is necessary we have a code, which we must use to identify each other when we communicate or speak on phone. Anytime I call or when you call, after asking for me, for you to be
certain that it is I, you shall ask me for my code, and then I will answer "SALT", also I will ask for your code, which is "MILK". If neither of us is unable to provide our very code, we should hang-up immediately, and call back
this is strictly for security reasons and to maintain maximum confidentiality.

We await your urgent response to enable us commence the project. Call me on Tel: 2348033016850 after you have read my email.

Best regards,
Dr.Lateef

---------------------
I did some searching on the web... these guys are dirty pigs, scam you out of as much money as they can. They tell you that several 'unforseen' things came up and that they need money to be able to continue. That's where you come in, you pay them a few thousand dollars so that the operation can continue. Of course, that's when they call you that more charges have come up, if you would be so kind as to pay a few thousand dollars more, then the millions will be in your bank account tomorrow... etcetera.

Pretty funny if it weren't so stupid.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:04 pm

Yeah, I got that a few weeks ago.. funny thing is I received 2 of them on the same day from differant "coordinators of the blah blah". lol

Sad thing is theres enough morons out there stupid enough to fall for it.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Mon Apr 08, 2002 10:39 pm

It's not real???

DAMM! i sent all my info to them yesterday!!!
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:17 pm

I think I heard about this on one of those nightly news/magazine shows. 20/20 or nightlline. I guess the Nigerian government actually issued a warning about this saying it was not real.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:37 pm

Wow, that has to be really embarrasing for the Nigerian government if its so plausible that their civil servants would be openly trying to embezzle money that they need to issue a warning.

Corth
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Apr 09, 2002 2:57 pm

They are now, they just got several thousand people's banking and credit information and are now test driving their new platinum cards under various names. Did they mention that Nigeria is a non-extradition treaty country w/ anyone? I see mail order business booming in Nigeria.

Toplack
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:31 pm

Why do I delete all my spammail? I didn't know they sent sent that sort of funny things to people.

I will be more carefull and save the more naive spam i receive

/D
Koldaz
Sojourner

Postby Koldaz » Tue Apr 09, 2002 6:38 pm

Foreign nationals do similar scams as described in the letter all the time. I worked for a medium size industrial company and we sold a $750,000 job to a company in Brazil. Our international sales manager visited to see how their equipment was working out. He showed up on their door step unannounced to find all of the equipment silently rusting in their yard in the nice humid atmosphere of the jungle. He asked what was going on and they said they never needed the equipment. The people involved sold the equipment to the gov't for 1.5M, their protift $750,000.

Over the years, he had been solicited by various foreign distributors for similar set ups where we would over-bill and pass on a certain amount back to them and retain some for ourselves.

People are so crooked.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:50 pm

WhAT ITS NOT TRUE?!?!?!? I Helped "them" 3 or 4X!?!?!?

lol jk
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Apr 10, 2002 6:45 pm

We get this via fax once a month at least. Can't believe that anyone would fall for it.

"hmmm someone willing to give me millions of dollars for supplying a bank account in the usa. Hmmm I can open an account on line with no ID. Hmmm seems reasonable."

Dear Nigerian whoeveryouare-

Please find following my checking account number, social security number, mothers maiden name and the only password I use for any account I open.

Sincerely,

Chronicly Stupid

Next letter...

Dear Nigerian whoeveryouare:

Please send me my millions as soon as possible as some how I have lost all my money and now have large unexplained charges on my credit cards.

Sincerely,

Still Chronically Stupid
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:00 pm

heheeh!!!!!

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Apr 10, 2002 9:19 pm

Well, people in general ARE stupid.

About 12-15 years ago, when I was in my early-teens, the big thing was to find ways to call for free, since trans-continental calls cost a fortune Image

So the usual thing we did, was calling a random number in USA, claiming to be from AT&T and its being a problem with a bill, and would they please read what it said on their creditcard. You CAN'T believe how many people actually gave up that information, without thinking twice.

I couldn't do it myself, since my voice kind of betrayed me to be just a little teen, but it was hilarious listening to how people falling for it.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:30 pm

friend of mine got this thing like 7 years ago.

Nice to see that it still gets mileage.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”