Forced descriptions

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Thrand
Sojourner

Forced descriptions

Postby Thrand » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:02 am

I think forcing people who are in guilds to have a discription is a waste of gods time.
Every time i want to change my discription
and i dont want one in the 1st place, i got to get a god to remove my title and then approve MY description, and then put MY title back.

Seems a freaking waste of gods time and an unneccessary waste of my time. I dont role play and I dont want to.

Nulatudas

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:05 am

How many times will you change how you look like?

------------------
-Yayaril
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>How many times will you change how you look like?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

heck, start a new class (priest subclass):
plastic surgeon
/fil
Ormiss
Sojourner

Postby Ormiss » Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:12 am

Rogue sub-class. *wink*
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:04 pm

Oh please. Gimme a break. It has been policy for longer than I can remember (circa 1995) that to have any kind of title, last name or otherwise, one had to have a description. It's been a fundamental tenent of the priveledge of having something after your name for a long time. Deal with it.

And be glad that they don't ask Mystra to critique your title... she was hard to appease. Image

Sylvos Winteraven

p.s. edited for spelling, bleh

[This message has been edited by Sylvos (edited 04-17-2002).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:39 pm

Agree Sylvos

Mystra has very high standards, it was frustrating at the time, but my descriptions were much better for the work.

It is much easier now, you don't even have to be overly creative, you can just give a basic description, and that's enough. How hard is that?!?

If you hate putting in descriptions, why are you changing them once they're in? If it doesn't matter to you since you don't roll play, it seems to me that once you've got a description, you'd stick with it as changing it isn't "important" and would just be more work.

To me, the logic of the argument is fuzzy at best. Please clairify.

I see titles, last names and what not being a priveledge not a right. The pre-requisites for all but level 50 titles are pretty simple, and can be knocked out in 5 minutes tops.

Level 50 titles should be exclusive, not just handed out, and should be required to have something special to get them. IMHO

If I have missed your point, please clairify.

Thank you,

Toplack

------------------
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:50 pm

'I see titles, last names and what not being a priveledge not a right.'

Give me a %%^&* break, this is a game.

'If I have missed your point, please clairify.'

Well yeah you did miss the point.
You rant on about level 50 titles.
I'm forced to have a discription because I'm in a guild, not because I'm level 50.

Nulatudas

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:54 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thrand:
[B]Give me a %%^&* break, this is a game.

And games have rules.

------------------
-Yayaril
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:54 pm

Ironically, I tried to use my soj2 description (which were accepted by Roan), but it was rejected in soj3 by some other admin, and had to be changed...

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition

[This message has been edited by Jegzed (edited 04-17-2002).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:55 pm

Did I miss the rule that said you HAD to have a title in a guild?
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:03 pm

Almost looks like either guilds should be primarily for roleplay, given that you need a roleplay story associated with them (and a description would be a reasonable requirement), or maybe there should be 'allies' or something instead for those who don't want to roleplay.

Before there was acc, I remember seeing someone accidentally ooc instead of using his guild talk thing he'd written up in zmud. That use of zmud is almost a good alternative to having a guild without guild responsibilities, but not everyone can use zmud.

I guess, ultimately, it'll come down to a decision of whether guilds are for roleplay or not, and if there's an alternative.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:45 pm

Okay, I guess I did miss that rule. Still, it's not like writing a description is hard work.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:40 pm

Shevarash posted in another thread that they will not be enforcing role-play. It's optional.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
Okay, I guess I did miss that rule. Still, it's not like writing a description is hard work.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEY!!! some o us are ANALPHABETS, ye know, some o us plays just to see the funny chars flickering by the screen.. Image
/fil
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:38 pm

hrm. approved descriptions have been the order of the day for as long as i've played. it's not a major thing really.

please keep in mind that the current god involvement and policing was petitioned for by the players. you had you chance to speak out on this when that flame thread was going weeks ago.

this is one of only a few times the folks running this game have put their foot down, so just deal with it ok? it wont destroy your enjoyment of the game if you have to write a description, and if it really is a hardship on you can leave the guild you're in but still play with them, y'know.

these kinds of threads need to stop, really. there's been too much of these illogical arguments nitpicking something trivial on the mud, and one lead to a ton of flames and a personal rl attack. enough is enough.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It has been policy for longer than I can remember (circa 1995) that to have any kind of title, last name or otherwise, one had to have a description. </font>

Just because something has been a certain way for years does not mean it should stay that way.

Time changes, so should we.

------------------
peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:01 pm

Just because something has been a certain way for years does not mean it should change.

Time changes, that dosen't mean everything has to.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:08 pm

If you cannot take the time to write a description for your character, I think the gods don't have to take the time to give you a title or last name.

Besides, cater to the RP side just for a second! Image

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:31 pm

I'm not a very creative or even good writer, but i managed to piece together an acceptable description that is just a few lines long.. no big deal.. didn't take long.. i dunno why you'd whine about it.. its so easy.. and i suppose you could say joining a guild is a priviledge and in order to enjoy it you have to put some time and effort in something other than just leveling your character.

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:17 am

I think the gods should just give us all our eq and we shouldnt have to zone for it because having to work at all for something that is neat is dumb.

get real you whiners and write something. mad props to gods for demanding descriptions.

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Kelthas Orean
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:30 am

Thrand,

You point out clearly that this is a game. Well any and every game I have played, be it chess, checkers, this mud, a video game has rules and to get a title or a last name you have to have a description. To get a lvl 50 title you have to have an rp story. Now if you dont think description should be enforced then why you changing it all the time? I feel your whining about having to take the extra time to type a few lines. Christ it doesnt take much. next time you see my character look at his description. Then figure out how I did it. Cut and paste *DUH* or do what I did. work it into a variable in zmud. to where you type a command and it sends it to the mud. Jeez now you might just see that if you take a few minutes to do it right the first time you dont have to go back and keep tweaking it. And as for the gods intervention on allowing you to change your description that is there so people cant get a cool title then ptu some lame ass stupid description like' Yeah me ted you dumbass! I squash you' and have an awesome title at the same time. That takes away fromt eh respect that Sojourn has earned for over 8 years. I started playing in 94 and the same rule was in then. Dont think that just because you are to lazy or to impatient that they shoudl change for you. Get real. and btw. Give me a *^%&*( break. Majority rules bud. So live with it. And if it is just a game to you, why constantle change how you look. evidently you take at least minimal pride in yoru character and role-playing otherwise you wouldnt even put a description in. or even be in a guild.

*steps off his soap-box*
*bows*
*Picks his Axe back up*

L8r all,

------------------
I am the only one who can make the words "Ummm, guys?" strike fear into any group.
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:33 am

ans speaking of waste fo gods time. Have you ever thanked the gods for putting in a more relaxed set of guidelines to make the guild you are in possible today? It was much harder and much more paperwork in the sojourn of old to have a guild hell it was even hard to get a clan started guilds were worst of all. And if you dont role-play then why do you play a forgotten realms based mud anyways? just curious.

L8r again,

------------------
I am the only one who can make the words "Ummm, guys?" strike fear into any group.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:59 am

i remember associations had to have a charter, a charter story, 6 founders and later on had restricted membership numbers (20), couldnt let more than 10% of their memebership be a clan based race (means no more than 2 trolls/dwarfs/ogres/barbs/duergars) unless it was a clan initially.

i like guilds now. i like the idea behind the guld i'm in, something that couldnt exist on toril or soj2.

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:43 am

And it looks like this thread has come to it's end since a description is necessary to be in an assoc and that is not going to change.

Erevan

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”