Query about fav/least fav zones!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Query about fav/least fav zones!

Postby Gromikazer » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:07 am

What's your 3 Favorite zones, and 3 most hated zones?

Favorite: Manscorpions, Lost swamps of Meilech, Jot (Invasion)...

Hated: Astral, Gith, Yath Olath

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:11 am

My 3 favorite real zones would be:

#1 Jot
Reason: Doing grid is always exciting! Always nice having a chance to find something really cool Image

#2 Avernus
Reason: The spanks are fun, no instant death. Lots of small mobs, just when you're feeling safe something nasty walks in and suddenly it becomes very manic. Call it a chance to prove your skills! Nothing like when a patrol walks in and gates in more mobs, and all the sudden you're fighting 12 mobs! fun fun! Plus the descriptions are awesome.

#3 Hive of the Manscorpions
Reason: Spam!! Nothing like the king fight. I've done it with necro and enchanter, it's fun with both :P They eat through scales rq so you gotta be quick, and hope you don't fail.

Favorite smaller zones (i.e. can go to alone, and explore) would be:
#1 Ribcage, Gatetown to Baator
#2 Demiplane of Artimus Nevarlith
#3 Hrmm, probably the UD, but that's really a collection of zones, but still fun Image

3 most hated zones..
Ok:

#1 Southern Forest
Reason:
Neverending spellup/wait for resses/spellup again Image

#2 Gith
Reason:
Always the same, except when someone misses or doesn't bash fast enough. Ansi hurts the eyes! Not much of a reason to do it, except if you want to kill yourself or others with the vorpal sword Image

#3 Split Shield
Reason:
I owned it, not challanging at all Image
Orcs smell funny.

------------------
Dulzuth - General of the 1st Zombie Brigade

[This message has been edited by Dulzuth (edited 04-25-2002).]
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:20 am

Favorite:

HARPYS!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, its removed, feh..

#1 Jotunheim
The perfect zone.. Still extremely fun just to DO..

#2 Demiplane of Artimus Nevartlith
Superb small zone with great stories, quests and rares. Great fights and challenges.

#3 Avernus
I love the atmosphere, and insanely fun fights..

CC, Ribcage, SF and Manscorps are among my faves too..

Least Favorite Zones

Well, no actual zones.. BUT!

I hate fights that I call "Loki-Fights", which CAN'T be done straight-up, but involves multiple runs.. Way too many new zones now have this phenonema.. And they all have a dragon to wingbuffet & a few !bash casters..

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
rachaz
Sojourner

Postby rachaz » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:30 am

Favorite Zone: Melioch, that place can keep me entertained for ages. Kudos to the zone maker for writing a zone I spend so much time in!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 11:58 am

favorite zone is hands down jot.

noteworthies: cc (for the excitement), scorps (for the spam), seers (for the stories)

least favorite zone: UM/UM2, its awesome but no one wants to explore, if you do explore and someone goes LD its a mess. people having to go and people wanting to come are a mess also. the portals are also annoying.

agree with jegzed on the loki fights. some are cool, but SF is ridiculous. things like wing buffet and quake make them ress fests.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:49 pm

#1 TF
#2 Skertt-Gul
#3 Undermountain I / II

Manscorps and Demi come in for #4 i guess, but it's a tough call :P

Favorite non-zones gotta be Hyssk and Ixarkon... evil hometowns have no match. :P
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:02 pm

Favorite zones:
The Cloud Realms of Arlurrium - a true test of class balance, a place where the good players can shine.
Jotunheim - huge grid full of possible rares, tons of not overpowerful items, something for everyone.
The Blood Bayou - action packed.
Honorable mentions to The DemiPlane of Artimus Nevarlith and Ice Crag Castle

Least Favorite Zones:
Myth Drannor - many broken portals or quests, all quest mobs refuse to answer, or give responses so vague they could be saying anything at all, and the problems are just made worse by making the place so horribly inaccessible and generally a pain to get around or leave.
The Nine Hells - Avernus - bad memories. I fear it.
Elemental Plane of Air/Fire - boring as all hell, little to no reward.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 04-25-2002).]
Xebes
Sojourner

Postby Xebes » Thu Apr 25, 2002 8:20 pm

Favorites:
1) um/um2: this really takes the cake for me... I _love_ exploring. My only wish is that it felt less unfinished.

2) CC, just cause of all the wandering stuff and repops, you gotta get through fast.

3) Avernus: God I love the hard fights, but something other than the needle-in-a-haystack grid wandering would improve the zone by a ton.

Honorable mention: Seers, the descriptions are awesome, as is the story. Blipdoolpoolp I love for the same reason.

Least favorites:
1) Myth Drannor: omg, at least mobs in other zones talk at all, MD mobs never seem to have quests and are just there for random killing.

2) Roots. Spell people up for half an hour before I even SEE someone fighting! And everyone fights over the reward anyways.

3) SF: !bash cleric mobs are just a complete pain in the ass. Spamming people with areas isn't a preferred method of making something fun.

Honorable mention for hated zones: IC vault and fire/air planes.

------------------
-<(#)>- Xebes makes your heart start to race REAL FAST!
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:12 pm

In no particular order . . .

Favorites

Jot Invasion- Yeah, normal jot can always entertain you, but it's nothing compared to the chaos and pressure that pops up during invasion. Constant fights against tons of mobs on a frequent basis. Excellent pacing of fights keeps the fun coming.

Smoke Invasion- See above, add more chaos and a large dose of tactics to use.

CC- Again, excellent pacing due to the number of mobs you need to fight and how often you fight them.

Good pacing of things to do really makes a zone more enjoyable.

Least Favorites

Avernus- Love the atmosphere, hate the time spent just wandering looking for Kovte. So much time spent dropping coins and continuing lighting grid. Fighting a patrol can be interesting, but normally it's just mass killing lemures and nupperibos.

MD- The half-finished feel and perceived downtime between fights. Spelling up for every barbazu is boring. Additionally, the complete inability to use teleportation spells is annoying. The mythal that blocks teleportation magic is supposed to be falling apart by this time in the realms timeline.

Brass- Again, it feels half finished and the fights on the way to the big fights typically require a spellup every other fight. At least it's possible to tear through the zone pretty fast though.

Downtime for spellups and between fights = boring. It makes the casters have to cast some 86 or so spells every 3 minutes and the hitters/tanks sit on their thumbs. These places make me feel like I have ADD.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 25, 2002 9:30 pm

Favorites:

1) Jot invasion - no explanation required.
2) CC - I hated it until I started leading it.
3) Astral - always different.. just like the first two.

Honorable mention - Blood Bayou for the same reason it was mentioned earlier by someone. SF because its great for starting with a small group while you wait for other guildies to come on. Tf cause of the massive smitage.

Least Favorite:

1) MD - Brute force extravaganza where you cannot use teleport spells.

2) Avernus - Brute force extravaganza where you cannot use teleport spells and the goal is to find a needle in a haystack.

3) Brass - twinkable (which almost kept it off the bad list), but an utter yawn.

Honorable mention - Clouds because whoever wrote it didn't even try to hide the fact that they were elaboritely attempting to screw over good races. Vault - A 3 room yawn but it gets props for teaching people what a zone is.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Adriorn
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn » Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:50 am

Don't wanna repeat what many said before, seeing as how all incarnations of Jot and CC basically take the cake, but do wanna add some to it that many don't realize due to their powerleveling in harder zones:

The Elemental Glades

Great zone to LEARN what quests are all about and get some baby rewards from it. Love the setup, rooms, descriptions and colors.

Undermountain

The eternally feared zone by all levels, even though it shouldn't be. Nicely done, but it's been over 6 years since anyone has touched it I think. That damn painting still has no key to cabin :P

Citadel

Great zone to TEACH people leading. Nice amount of eq to reward people, unfortunately it's still based on toril standards, so now the eq is less than ok. But I like the classic tower feel of the zone and good to teach people about prots, leading, and !summon gear.

Just wanted to add something to thread from a different perspective. Doesn't always have to be about the power zones for it to be a good zone.

Worst zone:

THAT DAMN TROLL SOUTH OF WATERDEEP!!!

Adriorn Darkcloak
Warder of the Realms
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:19 am

Favorites: Village of Minthka, Ako, Kobold Village

Least Favorite: Gnolls, SS, Little Faerie Zone above Minthka

Galkar -I need to get out more-

------------------
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Apr 27, 2002 6:33 pm

Favorite zones that I've seen:
Temple of Blipdoolpoolp
Jotunheim(invasion or no)
Elder Forest(well written, well balanced, and was THE zone to be in after a boot for EVERY elf during the first month)

Least favorite:
Seers(what a let down after scorps)
Flames(waste of time for 2 quest items)
Nizari(yawn)

Twyl

------------------
I am Jack's complete lack of effort.
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:04 pm

Favorite zones:

1) Jot Invasion - jot has many different mobs and a good reward/risk factor. The storyline/concept of invasion kicks ass.

2) Cave City - lots of mobs with different abilities and flags.

3) Southern Forest - One of the few places I really feel useful.

notables: scorps - carnage!, crypts - fast and fun, TF - good exp and more than 1 mob in most rooms

Least Favorite

1) SG - too much running around, and too many single, aggro, weenie mobs that get in yer way to the boss mobs

2) roots - Since its all single file rooms, 2 hitters do most of the zone. Really lame.

3) fire and air planes - druids are pretty worthless there, but then again, without sunray, how useful are druids anyways?! Pretty boring zones regardless of the druid factor.

------------------

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:54 am

Favorites:

1. Avernus - Spankage nuff said

2. Astral - Where else can you go for an hour and have so much fun?

3. Dobluth Kyor - just a fun place to sit for hours while you wait for something to do!
(note sarcasm)

Least Favorites:

1. Waterdeep - God the spam!

2. Baulders Gate - do ppl still go there?

3. Cave City - every time i go i die! bad luck dontcha know.

------------------
Baikalisan - Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:10 am

Fave - anything that invokes mortal fear in people, yet is still CRable.

Worthy examples might be Brass, Jot, Nizari, and demi.

Least Fave - anything requiring full on 15man brute force, with no assurances. I always think there should be more than one way to do a fight. (Jot gatehouse is just humorous and doesn't really count.)

PS adri I hear ebils pharm UM, dunno if it true tho.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:07 am

I like :

Clouds, Avernus, Sg, and SF best

Least:

Roots (boring heh)
Rib Cage

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”