A Great Loss

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Nikelon
Sojourner

A Great Loss

Postby Nikelon » Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:09 am

I received the Eternal Covenant newsletter last week and read that a number of people wanted to mix and mingle with other guilds. Okay, I thought, no biggie, I'll just catch up when I finally get chance to be (more) active...

I received the Eternal Covenant newsletter today and read that several people were leaving the guild altogether including Ferdelon himself. Wow, I thought, things are getting kinda weird here, and I hope that we can still have a nice assoc and all...

And then I get an ICQ message from Cerlayne saying she will never be going online again, and that this message itself is the final goodbye...

Then I log on to find that my assoc does not exist. OMG, what is this? This can't be serious...

But there is no association, everyone I know from my assoc that is online is now Shades of Twilight or solo.

I cried...literally...maybe I take this too seriously, but this really rocked my world......and I cried...

-Nikelon
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:32 am

Sorry to hear it man... EC people were always cool to me.

As for the massive leaving, it boggles my mind.

Don't fret, I'm sure if you found a new guild, some others will come back to join you.

Best of luck!
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:06 pm

Wow, was wondering what was going on w/ EC, had been asked to join by Cerly some time ago, and she never got back w/ me to bring me in. So I kind of dropped it. Hadn't seen her on in ages, so didn't know what was up w/ her either.

Good people in EC, you will all find new homes, or make them. There are many good guilds on, I have grouped w/ most of them, and they all seem like good people to me. Or, you could take a page out of Salen's book, and remain apart from one, but with all.

Luck to you all...

Toplack

------------------

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:04 pm

It is indeed a great loss, and I hope that Cerlayne was angry on that day and didn't mean she was leaving forever. She too is one of Sojourn's great long-time players, and it would be a tragic loss to lose her over the rise and fall of guilds.

Guilds are like Empires in the world of Sojourn. They rise and fall with the natural course of evolution and the tides, one can never tell which will last and which will not. The strongest guilds can be felled by a single person, and the weakest of guilds can sometimes survive an onslaught of issues. Its impossible to say why with certainty, but any loss of a guild is a loss to the mud.
Loosing its players however, is far worse.

There is nothing wrong with mourning the loss of your guild, even crying or being depressed. For most of us, this mud is every much a part of Our RL as driving in your car, and sometimes the relationships and comradre we build are strong and long lasting. It is right to mourn, feel no shame. But like the Sun, a new day will fall on Sojourn and on those of EC, and we can only hope they will find good paths, each and everyone of them.

o_o
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:23 pm

Cerlayne left? Boo!!! Tell her that Yayaril won't stand for such actions and to come back immediately or else I'm tromping over to elf island and burning the whole place down!!

I can be shivved by a man on the street,
and not shed a single tear..
a hurtful word from a friend on here I did meet,
or a goodbye makes me quake in fear.

------------------
-Yayaril
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:39 am

That sucks Cerlayne left Image

Nikelon i understand u crying over mud stuff. i cried when i deleted myself heh. then i was like "omg i taking this way too seriously" but u know what, this game is worth it. i think.

------------------
Leah A. W.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:31 am

*disregard previous post...wasn't aware of the details until now*

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 04-17-2002).]
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:55 am

I am not positive, but i dont think it was the guild that made her leave, I think it was RL. Either way, it is horrible.

If you read this cerly, send me an ICQ dear.

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:51 pm

I think Kifle is right...Cerly and I have both been unable to play much, if any, since the player auction. I sent an email and an ICQ and will mail her a letter if need be to make sure everything is alright.

I agree with Muma...this mud certainly is worth it--in every way. Thanks all, and if I hear more from Cerly, I'll let ye know :P

-Nikelon Zol'Lek (My daddy came back Image)
Wuva
Sojourner

Postby Wuva » Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:34 pm

Real life seems to always snag you when not expected, even when we bring our mud world into our real world or vice versa, you just cant combine the two most of the time. I truly miss EC, my guildmates, and Cerlayne, I hoped even after leaving guild it would withstand. I understand the tears, and the frustrations. I also understand Cerlaynes decision. We can *if* all day long and get no further...Time to move ahead and chose new paths. Time to embrace our friends and stand strong.

------------------
Wuva *Wildchild* EagleBlade
Zanalista
Sojourner

Postby Zanalista » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miax:
<B>It is indeed a great loss, and I hope that Cerlayne was angry on that day ...sometimes the relationships and comradre we build are strong and long lasting. It is right to mourn, feel no shame. But like the Sun, a new day will fall on Sojourn and on those of EC, and we can only hope they will find good paths, each and everyone of them.

o_o</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree totally wif Miax....
As a sojourner of 7 years now...through names and incaranations i still have long standing irl friends of those made on the mud.

All must know and accept that rl has to come first and for some the realm that exists here can become way too real....not that that is bad for all...it is a wonderous escape and most of the time a friendly place....
We come we go....we come back...those that do not we remember fondly...and hope for the best for all.....
*soft elven kisses....and wonderous memories to all*
Zannie

------------------
Zanalista
Geographically Challenged
Elf at Large...
Cerlayne
Sojourner

Postby Cerlayne » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:17 pm

well.. thru emails i discovered this thread regarding me leaving the mud.... i didn't post deliberately because i intended to leave and not return ever... and whats the point of posting if i'll never see the responses??? it was only because of the emails.. very sweet emails... that i even checked this thread out...

thank you all.. didn't expect many to notice that i was gone... as for why i left... there's more then one reason to that... yes it was related to real life but it was also related to the mud and specifically guild stuff... i felt i needed to take a lil break from sojourn.. one because i was at a loss as to what i wanted to do.. but more importantly.. after almost 8 months of being out of work for surgery i needed to get back into the routine of getting up on time etc etc... and because i was transferring to a new program the day i returned to work i figured my time would be busy and tiring to learn a huge new program... i assumed i would be back after a few weeks although playing much less... hard to zone when you can't get on til 6 pm and you know you have to leave by 11 at the latest...

during my time away things started happening in eternal covenant that were upsetting to me... i had started the guild for the specific purpose of it being a friends guild... with zoning and eq being less important then the social aspect of the mud... the downside was EC was weak as far as zoning went.. and i was all for doing more of that... however it became apparent to me.. in my mind and in my opinion... that zoning and the rewards of zoning.. ie eq.. became the top priority.... during this time things were also happening in my personal life... details don't need to be stated... any who cares can email me... but left with even less time to play and left with very few i could talk to regarding real life problems and my upset over guild problems... i made a decision...

i was faced with watching the guild i had created out of love turn into something i would end up hating.. i couldn't do that and i disbanded the guild... yes miax it was done partially out of anger... but it was not a rash decision... i have the guild money for any of those who were left when i disbanded it.. should any 5 of them wish to create a new guild... i will donate all cash needed... not like the money is all mine afterall... as for never coming back.. i felt i had no place to return to.. people i had thought of as a second family turned out to not feel the same way about me.. we've all felt that way at times... so that was my decision to leave the mud for good.... and personal issues made me decide.. what the hell.. just leave it all for now... start with whats most important.. my family and job and my health.. and focus on those things rather then online stuff...

i hope that explains it all.. i'm not mad at anyone or any group of people... i am hurt a bit and still upset.. but i'm a big girl and will get over that... whats the most important part of this post is this tho...

i have played toril/sojourn off and on for almost 8 years... i have had good and bad experiences.. left but always returned... sojourn3 is the mud at it's best.. even with the problems some find with it... never have i seen this mud more open to player ideas.. the gods so approachable and tolerant.. tolerant of stuff they shouldn't tolerate... i remember sojourn with a smile and my experiences with a smile... the mud has grown so much.. all who have helped achieve this.. gods and players alike should be proud of what they've helped create... and i thank you all.... BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG hugs!!!!!

take care... i do check email... and i miss y'all
Cerlayne L'ytria SwordDancer

aka Larissa
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Fri Apr 26, 2002 5:39 am

Something that does piss me off about the downfall and closure of EC is that more then a few of the EC people that i talk to regularly were really pissed off that the guild just seemed to close and they had no say in it.

Does 1 or 2 or even 4 poepe have the right to close a guild? Sure they could all be officers of the guild and do have the right to give direction and govern over the guild....

BUT if your not happy why not just leave and not pull down the guild just because your not in the mood to mud or be in that guild any more...

maybe EC wouldn't be able to continue with a few people leaving.. But from all accounts i hear that the members that wanted to stay were not even given the choise to move up to offical positions and try and get it happening as they saw fit..

What about all their guild fund money that they put in every month? was that just pissed away when the guild closed? or did someone make out with the cash to fund their new guild or the one that joined...

When Gormal left NS (well the last time) he didn't say well I helped start this guild, you can all get fucked and i am closing it down so suffer!! He let the ones remaining that may not be his first choise move up to offical positions, he didn't try and stop the guilds progress or put us down, he moved on with his life and encouraged us to keep going.

If there are not 10 ex-EC members that want to continue then this post is wasted... BUT if their are enough of them that wish to continue as a guild they should be given all right to do so, have all guild funds returned to the guild coffers and be alloud to elect their own officers and continue on under the same Guild name.. If they wish to change the name thye wodl loose the cash as it woudl more or less be a new guild not the tattered of what it was beter.

I like a lot of the old EC crew, definitly not all of them but either way they should have been given time to rebuild after some left and not just be throw out into the streets just cause some poeple wanted to move on to other guilds or just stop mudding all together.

Unless your a mindless tool stand up for yourself and what you want, dont be pushed about and then cry about it later.

EC should be given every chance to reform if they do indeed wish to reform. But if they dont wanna then good luck to you all joining other guilds, forming new ones or just fucking off and never return.

This is not directed at Cerl or anyone else in perticualr, take form it what you will and ignore what you dont think is right.

I do love my guild and am happy to be associalled with each and every one of the members of Northern Star.

BUT it is my belief that ALL GUILDS SUCK! guilds have fucked this mud up as much as they have helped it.

Most people seem to join a guild just to get help to get the stuff that they thik they need.... EVERY guild has innner friction and in-fighting. Show me one that doesn't and I will show you a person that doesn't really know what goe son in their guild..

I bet the mud would be much better and friednlier without guilds. Take away the lables and we are all the same, we wold group with those we liked/needed/wanted and not just cause they wear the same badge...

Bids wold be fairer, none of this "It's a GUILD" run bullshit!. If it's a guild run fine, only take guild members not screw over the poor sap you only brought along because you couldn't even do the zone without them, then give them fuck all for their troubles...

GUILDS SUCK!!!!! But i do like paying 500 Plat per month for the chat channel.... :P

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Nebomosel
Sojourner

Postby Nebomosel » Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:35 pm

Whoa! I'm gone for a while and everything just fell to pieces. Damn! Hope it wasn't anything I did.:P I'm really sorry to hear that EC folded up. I have been having RL issues for the last couple months and had hoped to have everything cleared by now. Instead, shit just got deeper and I'm gonna be away for quite a while, it appears. I don't know any of the reasons that prompted Cerly to shut down the guild, but I do know that the guild, even before I left, was being torn in several directions. Maybe given a little time, either Cerly can re-start EC or another guild can be formed from the core of the old guild. Not sure if I'll be able to be a part of it but I do know that I consider all the members friends and hope they feel the same about me. RL sucks BTW.

Take care all,
Neb
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:14 pm

Hope things improve, Cerly.
Cerlayne
Sojourner

Postby Cerlayne » Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:51 pm

wanted to clarify one thing... i have all guild money.. i made sure to withdraw it before i disbanded... and i have said before.. and will say again now... all that is needed is an email from anyone that was a member at the end... it's not 'my' money... it's a number of peoples money... it's there.. it's not being hoarded it didn't get used by any members who left for other guilds... it remains to be used by the members of EC... if they want to rebuild i can even tell them step by step how to... should i have said something before i disbanded EC??? i sure should have.... it was a selfish act... i've never stated anything differently... and i apologize (for what it's worth)... but EC was my baby and i would do it the same way even with hindsight... HUGS Neb... i hope things are going better for you... definately miss you sweets... things are going better real life here... with the exception of the muscles i tore in my neck last night falling down the stairs.. ouch... anyways... hope that clarifies the money issue... take care and don't do anything i wouldn't do...

Cerly

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”