A sad day :(

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Kifle
Sojourner

A sad day :(

Postby Kifle » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:27 pm

If you haven't already heard...Layne Staley, Lead vocals for the band Alice In Chains, was found dead last Friday Image This sucks hardcore..very mangay.

*moment of silence*

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:56 pm

"It was natural or an overdose -- that's the way it was determined by our investigators," said Seattle Police spokesman Duane Fish.

Most likely an overdose.. so, no silence moments here, he killed himself because he was stupid.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:21 pm

Good thing, even though they had some decent songs. Everyone who does drugs should follow his example.

------------------

P.S. (I accidentally hit Edit instead of Reply to this, so it shows that Miax edited it, but in reality I changed nothing. My bad Image

[This message has been edited by Miax (edited 04-22-2002).]
Lirathal
Sojourner

Postby Lirathal » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:01 pm

Vazzgo, your heartless reply is sickening, simply because he was sick and did drugs, still doesn't make it right for him to die, Cherz that was no better, no one deserves to die and you saying that people that do drugs 'should follow his example' is sickening (unless I have interpreted that wrong),
regardless,
Layne was a good musician and he will be missed.

Regards,
Lirathal
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:10 pm

They couldn't snuff the rooster, but in the end they didn't have to. So it goes.

------------------
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:40 pm

"Some say we're born into the grave."

Anyway, overdose is a natural cause of death for a junkie Image

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:46 pm

People who do drugs are not wrong, they are sick.

This coming from a person whose family has a huge background as being drug addicts. They don't know any better because the drugs have them addicted. It took me a long, long time to get to the point of thinking like that, even being in the middle of that.

Don't judge those who denounce drug addicts based on comments like this. They either don't understand, don't care, or are numb. I don't hold their opinions again them. Image

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:18 pm

He joins the ranks of the greats such as Kurt Cobain, Brad Nowell, Jonathan Melvion, and Shannon Hoon among my favorite musicians.

No one deserves to die from an addiction.

He will be missed.

Disco
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:38 pm

Malacar, they know better, ask any alcoholic who beats his head against a wall as he loses his job and his family walks out on him because he's managed to lose everything they have yet again because of his drinking, then goes out and gets drunk again. If they can't figure out the drug's killing them, they're already dead.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 21, 2002 6:45 pm

Live through it, then I'd like to see you say that. Image

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 04-21-2002).]
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:31 pm

Drugs like speed, coke, heroine, crystal meth are nothing like Alchohol or cigerates, once you use them even 1 time the desire to do them again is very great.. My family has had a drug abuse problem, and currently my brother does... I don't think he is stupid, and i also think that he is incapable of stopping without a lot of help and a good reason to stop.. and so far he hasn't had any good reason to.... So cherza and everyone.. try thinking of other people before you make a stupid off-hand comment like all drugies should die...

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>Live through it, then I'd like to see you say that. Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have. Thanks.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:03 pm

alchoholism or one of the more hardcore drugs ashiwi? and im not talking about weed.. that is non addictive :P i would have trouble believing a former drug addict would compare their problem to alchoholism...

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:08 pm

This thread is so judgemental its making me ill.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:17 pm

And you're still that harsh towards them? That's pretty sad, Ashiwi. And I don't mean that nastily... It's just, having lived through it myself, with both parents drug addicts AND alcoholics, my father being 15 years sober now, and my mother still using... And now I am doing healing work on my own wounds... It's just a bad place to be, at least it was in my life, when I had no compassion for those addicted. Yes, it's an awful and bad thing. But they are sick, and cannot help themselves. Their lives dictate things around them, and they are literally not in control of their addiction, until they hit something that triggers them.

It it sad Lane died? Absolutely. Could it have been prevented? Absolutely. Could anyone have helped him? Nope. Did he need to do it himself? Yes.

Noone can help an addict but themselves. If you think otherwise, you're deluding yourself. If you're not addicted, kudos to you, you are stronger than they, but that does not give you the right to look down your nose and snub them, and call them everything that amounts to evil. That's unfair and unkind.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:43 pm

Damn, Malacar, I wasn't being harsh. Addicts know what they're going through, they know the pain and misery they're causing, and they know what's eating them from the inside out. They live miserable existances driven by a need which can never be satiated, and in that process they destroy everything that gives them pleasure or happiness. They know exactly what they're doing when they're in the full throes of addiction, but it takes almost inhuman acts of will to be able to walk away from it, and even then they will never be completely free of of that hunger.

Please don't make assumptions about me, or about what I may have experienced in my life.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 21, 2002 10:46 pm

Actually, I can help making assumptions, but it's very hard not to... Sorry Ash.

Your last post is very well written, and I think really sums it up nicely, but I still think compassion is needed for them, and not cruel statements. That's just my opinion though. Not to say we should be caretaking them, or even have them in our lives, but when they die to drugs, it is sad.

[EDIT:] Oh, and if you reread my post, you'll notice I was speaking mainly for myself. I'm trying that 'kinder, gentler' form of posting. I think the BBS is a bad forum to try it in, though... Most people don't read posts before replying(which I am very guilty of myself in the past, been much better at it lately!)
------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 04-21-2002).]

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:26 am

Addiction, to one substance or another, is commonplace. I myself am addicted to cigarettes. In the case of most substances, such as cigarettes, the addict is making a conscious choice to not confront the problem.

The harsher the substance, the less true that last statement is. In the case of some hard-core drugs, it takes a burst of willpower beyond 90% of the population.

What is also true is that fame plays a large part in the original addiction of rock stars. If you think it's easy getting up in front of 10-50k people night in and night out and performing at your best, I'd suggest you try it some time.

There are just some people who shouldn't go into certain lines of work. Unfortunately, that can be hard to tell until after the fact.

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 04-21-2002).]
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:16 am

I was an addict from the time I was 14 until I was 19. It was an escape for all the emotional and family problems I was having.
I have used everything from marijuana to acid to cocaine to massive amounts of alcohol. People are not stupid for using drugs and most people I have spoken to in rehabilitation do so for the same reasons I did. Inner demons + weak willpower will often lead to any kind of substance abuse, at least by my experience.
I put myself through rehab because I was hurting those around me too much and I wasn't getting better by avoiding the problem. I have been clean for almost 3 years and only have a drink or two now and then when I go to a party or it is a quiet Saturday night. Now next step is to quit smoking cigarettes Image
Please do not assume addicts are stupid for what they do, I can bet 90% of the time, it is for a reason, if not the best.

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mishre:
<B>alchoholism or one of the more hardcore drugs ashiwi? and im not talking about weed.. that is non addictive :P i would have trouble believing a former drug addict would compare their problem to alchoholism...

Unfortunatly weed is adictive, it is just harder to notice the withdrawl effects because of the enormous halflife with which the thc stays within the lineing of your brain cells.

On another note, for those of you who think it is just another person who died to drugs and it is no big loss or whatever you said...well that is ignorant and heartless.
If you listen to any of his music and read anything on him, he had made several attempts to quit. Unfortunatly most of you who think along these deluded lines miss the main factor, Herion, being part of the opiate family( the most addictive family of drugs), is among the hardest things to kick in the entire world.

The main point here is that he is dead. Nobody deserves to die alone the way he did and not be found for as long as he did. That is an injustice to a man that has probably helped and saved thousands of lives through his music and utilizing his talent.

I am sorry to have posted this here, it is sad that there are still those people who will turn a mournful post into a flame war with such ignorant remarks such as those from vazzgo and to a lesser degree, cherzra.

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>
That is an injustice to a man that has probably helped and saved thousands of lives through his music and utilizing his talent.

Curious was he a bard singing heal or something?
I never heard of the guy before.

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:02 am

Christ almighty, go pick on someone who is still alive to defend themselves. Whatever happened to having respect for the dead?

I wasn't a big fan, but I mourn his passing anyhow.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Apr 22, 2002 9:14 am

What's even more sad is you people don't realize he'd been dead for 2 weeks when they found his body on Friday. I live an hour away from Seattle and the local news announced this earlier this evening.

Layne Staley was an awesome musician who had a weakness, just like we all have a weakness.
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Apr 22, 2002 12:23 pm

Lot o heavy criticism on addicts from a group of internet junkies.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Apr 22, 2002 2:00 pm

I mourn the loss of a good musician. He was a tortured soul, listening to his music, you know there was much behind the scenes that drove him. Writing and singing were one release of that angst, drugs were likely to try to mask or dampen it when he couldn't write or sing, or when that wasn't enough. Unfortunately it was a predictable conclusion to his life. One that only he could have changed, and that he didn't for whatever reason.

Addiction sucks, recognizing it may be the first step to quitting, but it also makes it that much worse. In stead of being oblivious to the damage you're doing to yourself and those you care about, now you know. And what do you turn to to ease your pain? Your addiction, which speeds up the vicious cycle. Having the support of caring people can make it easier, but its all on the addict to have or find the will to not return to the substance whatever it may be.

Luck to everyone,

Toplack Frostbear

------------------

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 22, 2002 3:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>Good thing, even though they had some decent songs. Everyone who does drugs should follow his example.

Everyone who sends sends Email spam or abuses Email rights should follow his example.

Wait, did I say that? Image This sounds a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. Image

Miax
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Apr 22, 2002 4:14 pm

I had a much harder time quitting cigarettes than I did opium.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
Malacar, they know better, ask any alcoholic who beats his head against a wall as he loses his job and his family walks out on him because he's managed to lose everything they have yet again because of his drinking, then goes out and gets drunk again. If they can't figure out the drug's killing them, they're already dead.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're all going to die, so we're all already dead in that sense.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miax:
<B> Everyone who sends sends Email spam or abuses Email rights should follow his example.

Wait, did I say that? Image This sounds a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. Image

Miax</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah just the other night my pot and kettle were talking to each other and my pot jumped up from the bowl and said "Dam Kettle your friggin' black!"

I spanked my pot and told it that it was racist to call the kettle black... the correct tern is "Carbonified water boiler"

hmmmmm i got the munchies now...

Oh someone DOed? TOUGH SHIT!!!!!!

If I smoke to much dope and die (is it possible?) or drink myself to death or ride my motorbike drunk and crash and die i dont expect anyone to feel sorry for me..

One of my favorite quotes is "All we owe the dead is the truth"

Just cause someone can sing well or write a good song doesn't mean they are smart or worth turning into a legend just cause they were a fucked up shit eatting junkie that couldn't cope with success or his own drug habit. Junkies die! it's the natural progression for those usless turd snifefrs that want to put that shit in their veins..

I problably know more junkies that i call friends then most of you, i knwo what i am talking about, I have sat and watched some of my best friends shoot shit up and watch them as their eyes roll back in their heads and drift of to "Happy Smacky land" doesn't mean i feel sorry for them....

Rock Star's that OD are no different, they just famous shit eatting junkies...

They are ALL replacable and is only the Lemmins of the world that think that Kurt Coban is a lose to the music world..

Oh Please put a guitar in the hooves of a sheep wearing tight undies and you will have a better singer...

Bleeeeeeeeet!

I respect Layne for his song writting and singing, i am stilla fan of Alice in Chains but as a junkie.... i will shed no tears.

I'm sorry if you dont think i am right but if you're so upset by the passing of some dork that couldn't kick a habit of his own doing then how about you start helping the junkies on the street you pass on your way to work or where ever...

Oh i'm sorry you cant be human and a junke unless your a rock star...

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:32 pm

not sure I fol ya Jasix.

Kurt was a loss not because of overwhelming musical talent so much as the idea he embodied. The idea that a few grungy guys could make it big; the idea that it wasn't necessary to give a crap or work hard to be (in a sense) handed the keys to the kingdom.

Is this false? From what I've seen, probably. But it was a cherished ideal for millions. Thank the media.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Sat Apr 27, 2002 5:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>not sure I fol ya Jasix.

Kurt was a loss not because of overwhelming musical talent so much as the idea he embodied. The idea that a few grungy guys could make it big; the idea that it wasn't necessary to give a crap or work hard to be (in a sense) handed the keys to the kingdom.

Is this false? From what I've seen, probably. But it was a cherished ideal for millions. Thank the media.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Mori you are not wrong, but what your saying goes for just about EVERY rock band in history... They just about all struggled with no money or support for ages and worked their way into the spotlight. Kurt just got famous for 5 minutes and died... he's no demi-god or extra-ordinary, i like Nirvana too, listen to it fequently BUT I fail to see why some dickhead that kills himself is worth making much of a fuss over, would Mike Jagger be the Icon he is today if he killed himself in the 60s? hell no we would be laughing at his stupidity as well... Do Kurt and Layne rank up their with other Rock legends (ie they are dead) like Sid Vicous??? Now their was someone we all wanted to stay alive right???

To struggle then die when you make it to the top shouldn't give anyone Hero status... To make it to the top and stay there, now that takes courage and real talent...

KISS, The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, ACDC, these are legendary rock heroes, for having the guts to stick around even when they sucked.... Dying five years or so after your last record to an overdose just dont cut it..

(am sorry Layne died, but a greater lose then your average death I think not....)

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Sat Apr 27, 2002 5:41 pm

You are right guys, guess i used the wrong words to explain that im all against of using drugs.

Of course i don't wish anyone dead nor any harm, i have and had several familiar with drugs problems and know that the worst thing we can do is tryin not to understand and support them.

I wish he didnt died, but since he did, i hope it works as a good example to the ones with this problem.

Btw regards to Malacar and Ashiwi.. really good comments!

[This message has been edited by Vazzgo (edited 04-27-2002).]
Kybrell
Sojourner

Postby Kybrell » Sat Apr 27, 2002 9:16 pm

I must say that I have mixed emotions on this subject. I agree that people who are addicted to one substance or another have some sort of sickness. I also think it's a sickness they may not of asked for in the first place but they are the ones responsible for feeding it. It's like .... if you wanna quit you will. I hate to see anyone die from drugs or any other sort of substance abuse because it's a stupid worthless death. There are enough deaths in this world lately because of ignorant things. Look at the paper just today..... Lisa Lopes from TLC DEAD from a car accident. 18 people are dead in Germany because a 19 year old man got upset because he had been expelled from the school and not allowed to take his final exams.... A mother in Michigan ASSISTED her son and daughter in law who are both 19ish to try and kill themselves with a powerful narcotic she takes for a head injury she had.. The teens were accused of raping a 14 year old girl and the mother of the accused wouldn't even let the couple get interviewed to see what they did or didn't do.. The mother wanted custody of their 8 month old baby.... The daughter in law lived.. Her son... Died... HELLO?
My moral... drugs suck.. People who kill innocent people suck more... People who kill themselves because someone tells them too are stupid.. And if you don't agree well then I think you're stupid too..
I have lived through a family with certain substance abuses also and it's not a friendly road.
Yes there should be a moment of silence.. Not for the victims but for the ones they left behind.....
Kybrell.

[This message has been edited by Kybrell (edited 04-27-2002).]
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:05 am

Hrm....Too bad I ain't famous yet. I'd like thousands of people mourning me for my stupidity when I die of lung cancer or something.

I am an alcaholic. Been sober for 3 years, but once an alcaholic, always an alcaholic yes? Smoking is what helped me kick the drinking. Now I can die sooner of Lung cancer rather than liver cancer. YAY ME!

A man is dead because of his addition. Does the fact that he was a man with assloads of moey to help cure his addiction makes him any better than me? No. It is a shame he died alone and without good sense to commit himself or something. I am trying to stop smoking, but I am sure that college will go all to shit for me when I do, so as most other addicts, I will procrastinate till a better time when I am more able to deal with the stress of withdrawals (read: when I am dead).

Kallinar goes MOO

I've been a nobody for so long, failure is second nature to me.
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:59 am

imo Drugs suck.
but thats all it is, an opinion.

If you choose to do drugs, then you have to deal with the consequences, along with the ppl around you.

If you cant handle whats going on in your life w/out drugs then i guess maybe you should take a look at your life and change what is wrong.. simple as that.. you just make it difficult cuz you make up excuses as to why you'd rather leave it like it is than change it.

------------------
Baikalisan - Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:20 am

well, Jas, all I'm saying is that they identified with him somehow... I can see how it doesn't make sense at all if you don't identify with him.

And you know the media milked it :P

------------------
Imis tells you 'everyone has a spank now and then'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:22 am

PS Baikalisan I must disagree.

IMHO that's like this: picture a deaf person in a 3rd world country that could have hearing with a surgery. deaf person says, well it sucks that I'm deaf, but I can't change it... they're not AWARE that they can change it, or else they've dismissed the possibility out of hand.

Same goes for addicts... they cannot change because they truly honestly believe they cannot change...
Ronble
Sojourner

Postby Ronble » Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:16 pm

I once heard Steven Tyler say that he must of snorted half of Columbia up his nose. Ace Frehely of Kiss nearly died when full of alchol and drugs wrecked his car. Bon Scott of AC\DC died when he choked on his own vomit because he drank to much. The Rolling Stone where legendary for there drug and alcohol us. They where no different from the rest just lucky enough to survive in most cases. These bands have put out some of the most uninspired rock and roll now for the last what 20 years around. They may have been good in there time but should have stupid years ago but the flock just keep eating up there music even though each album is hardly different then there last.
RIP Layne not because I feel sorry for you but,like most grief, I feel sorry for myself because I will never be able to hear your wonderful and unique voice sing another note.
Ronble
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Apr 30, 2002 2:27 pm

Drugs are bad. Mkay.

My favorite song to listen to Hung Over

"Sober" Tool

Very dark song, makes me re-evaluate why I drink and why I should stop. Now I just need to do it.

Toplack

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”