individual responsibilities

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
kiryan
Sojourner

individual responsibilities

Postby kiryan » Sat May 11, 2002 2:27 am

so what do you think the individual zone responsibilties are? lets only include the tangible things.

1 protection from fire eq
2 wb eq
3 spellsave
4 close to maxed skills for your level (at least the ones important to the group)
5 quest spells
6 savebreath eq
7 !burn bag
8 fly eq
9 as many other eq prots as you can get

edit: lets rank them too 1-x
edit; added WB eq

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-11-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat May 11, 2002 2:36 am

You should not go AFK without warning or often, and you should not abuse the gsay channel. Do as your told, and ask privately if you don't know. Never whine over EQ, and respect the leader, even if he makes a mistake - you didn't do it.

The single biggest requirement is maturity, or at least respect.

-Daz

------------------
In the Great Cat's silence we walk,
In its speed, we strike,
In its strength,
we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat May 11, 2002 2:37 am

you know, i totally did not see 'tangible' :P

lol

------------------
In its speed, we strike,
In its strength,
we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Sat May 11, 2002 4:14 am

I'd say know what your class is there for, then know or learn how to best accomplish your mission within the group. This is a continual learning process, but if you are in doubt, ask.

Follow the leader's instructions, only mem when the leader advises, if in doubt of a safe mem room, ask. DON'T Wander in zone w/o express permission.

Log the zone if you don't know the zone, then review the log so you know next time what happened, analyze it to see what you could have done better.

Be patient, both with the leader, and the group, even if you've done the zone a hundred times, not everyone has.

Equipment comes with experience, so the fly/prot gear will come as you do zones, many times the first few times, someone else will loan you a piece. Be patient, and persistent.

Skills, when not in a group, I cast every helpful buff spell I can on myself, and anyone wandering by. This gives me practice and helps notch them, not to mention, who isn't cool with getting armor/bless/stone/vit on their way out of WD as a mid level to kill buffies, BGR, SSC, or anything else? I don't know how much higher my misc skills are because of it, but often I'll get a blind/hex/silence person before someone of a higher level. This may be luck, or may be I've worked on that skill more than they have, that I don't know... but hey, it couldn't hurt, and it even helps the miscelanious mid levels and newbies you buff up.

Be friendly, if you're in doubt how to do this, see Dale Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People" for a start, but this being a social game, I think we're probably safe on that.

And most important, follow Douglas Adams Rules, DON'T PANIC! and no matter where you go, bring a towel.

Last, but most, HAVE FUN! Remember, that's the real purpose of a game, winning is just more fun, but this game isn't so much about beating the game as having fun.

Toplack *still workin on my class* Frostbear

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gort (edited 05-11-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat May 11, 2002 4:16 am

Amen, brother.

-daz

------------------
In its speed, we strike,
In its strength,
we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sat May 11, 2002 4:18 am

Listen
Learn
Don't complain (if you're busy complaining then you're obviously not listening)
When the leader says "DON'T KILL" then don't put a dagger in the back of the butt-kicking non-aggro lich. ::halo::
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat May 11, 2002 4:25 am

tangibles... objects/stats/things you can do a score/eq on.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat May 11, 2002 2:08 pm

wow, no wonder I spank, all of my groupies violate pretty much every rule Image

------------------
Snurgt group-says 'just tog death , and you fine'
Pril group-says 'but i might get hurt if i tank!'
Snurgt group-says 'did you just call me a honky?'
Jenera group-says 'yes, yes i did'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat May 11, 2002 11:14 pm

Know what RL circumstances may affect your ability to play and adjust accordingly. If you have to be somewhere in an hour, then going on an avernus trip is obviously a no no. Same if you feel like you're about to fall asleep at the keyboard, there's a storm outside and you might lose power, or your connection is crapping up and you might LD and have a high chance of ghosting during critical moments. These are all things that other people in the group will not be able to fully compensate for since they can't tell what weather conditions or ping are like by looking at what you're wearing. Few things suck as much as having the only fhealer or chanter LD/lose power/etc. during the big end fight.

If something does come up and you have to go in a zone, try to give advance warning. Emergencies are understandable, but it's helpful to other people to let them know you need to be primeside half an hour in advance and five minutes before you need to go.

Be ready to catch anything the leader misses. There are two categories of this. The first is catching things that the leader misses due to spam, namely gsays that someone needs to go afk or leave soon. If the plan for a fight relies on basher A keeping down the butt-kicking not-so-non-aggro lich, it won't work quite as well if they charge in not knowing that basher A has to change their kid's diaper. The other category of this is if a leader forgets to mention something important for the zone, such as setting wimpies back to 0 after vault before you run up to jot. Again, leaders can forget stuff in all the spam.

Others have covered the game and social oriented aspects of a player's responsibilities, these are the more people oriented aspects.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun May 12, 2002 4:00 am

1. Give me stuff.
2. See number 1.

------------------
-Yayaril
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Mon May 13, 2002 2:13 pm

Kiryan I would think that the eq needed will vary by zone.

Having a WB item when doing jot is probably not #2 on the list.

Prot cold and lightning if you can get then are both good to have as well.

Also, some quest spells are not as important as others for zoning. An example is I have never used scry remains or spirit walk in a zone.

I would put !burn bag at the top of the list having had my bag go poof.

I didn't have a fly item until recently which has been an issue only once (you tell enchanter X "can i get a fly please?")

In terms of intangible:

Don't area in clouds after tranquility has been cast (sorry guys).

Don't forget that you are a healer when you are a healer. Depok is casting totem dart as the group eats 3 clouds in a row OOOOPS!

Don't ask for DM/DI/Armor/Ble/etc. over Gsay. One of the funniest things I have seen was a leader asking for DI over gsay and no one giving it to him.

TELL THE LEADER THEY DID A GOOD JOB WHEN THEY DID IN FACT DO A GOOD JOB!

Have a great time and enjoy the people you zone with. If not, find other people to zone with.

Do zones like there is no EQ. Enjoy getting whatever EQ you get.

Remember this is a game and should be fun!
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Mon May 13, 2002 7:01 pm

wow i use scry/s-walk in zones a lot! specially when we are gonna smite now, ress later (cause typically it is ME that died!) ... also good in clouds(cough) as a CR type thing ...

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed May 15, 2002 9:04 pm

Easy
1) Dont be an a$$
2) if you dont have something ie spell/eq and need for a fight/zone SPEAK UP
3) Pay attention as much as RL possible.
4) ANNOUNCE AFK'S B4 you have to go not gota go by right b4 major fights....
5) Dont bitch about splits, just enjoy the people and zone, and appload the zone maker
6) Do as your leader tells you, ie e/w/n/s.. dont loot, w/bash mobxyz... shadup :P .. go N and die etc Image
7) think of new/fun/hard ways to doing something
8) if you know something that might help speak up
9) if you know nothing keep quite and learn Image
10) enjoy life its to dam short, enjoy the zones, they are the best on the net, enjoy the people they ARE the mud

Think PiNk

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”