codes

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
sok
Sojourner

codes

Postby sok » Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:03 am

dude i need to figure out the things u guys are saying. please help. what is:

l33t

uber

that's all i can remember. i have a hard enuf time w/ english let alone computerbonic
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:15 am

l33t is "leet," which is the name of the "language" created by using non-standard symbols to make letters. It can also be used as slang for "elite."

Uber is actually a german word meaning "super." So Ubermodel would translate to supermodel.

Sarvis
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:21 am

its really all just somebody trying to pretend they are cool..ignore it like the rest of us.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Baikalisan:
its really all just somebody trying to pretend they are cool..ignore it like the rest of us.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God damn germans with their Deutschland uber alles!! they were just pretending to be a dominant world power.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·

[This message has been edited by Kuurg (edited 12-11-2001).]
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:49 am

I don't think God should damn the Germans.

A) God is a pretty cool guy and I don't think He'd randomly damn a whole nationality like that.

B) The Germans are pretty cool as well. Beer, pretzels, the printing press, and leiderhosen are all groovy German things. Does that mean they should be damned? Naw.

I concur with Baikalisan. ju5t 1g/\/0R3 iT, @n|) 1t \/\/1Ll g0 4\/\/@y.

So, uh, yeah, in summation... Snapple.

- Grungar "I just got a 30% on my organic chemistry exam... Time to go weep like a little girl" Forgefire
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B>I don't think God should damn the Germans.
- Grungar "I just got a 30% on my organic chemistry exam... Time to go weep like a little girl" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Has anyone worked out the probability factor of a given individual missing sarcasm in a post on a BBS?

I'd be interested in seeing something on this.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B>
A) God is a pretty cool guy and I don't think He'd randomly damn a whole nationality like that.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, he certainly isn't the petty type who would damn an entire nation. I mean, he Certainly hasn't doomed an entire species because one member of it ate an apple, and he would never flood the entire world because most of it's population disagreed with him...

Kuurg: We're probably about to find out. Image
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kuurg:
<B>
Has anyone worked out the probability factor of a given individual missing sarcasm in a post on a BBS?

I'd be interested in seeing something on this.

ROFL ROFL ROFL. It might be because it's 3:30 in the morning, but I lauged pretty hard when I read that.

Glorishan

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:48 pm

Probably greater than 1?

Mmmmm, probability.

- Grungar "Today was just like any other day" Forgefire
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
I concur with Baikalisan. ju5t 1g/\/0R3 iT, @n|) 1t \/\/1Ll g0 4\/\/@y.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The really sad thing is that I read that normally.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning

"On this night of Ghosts returning / To the light of bridges burning" -- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:38 pm

l33t: (leet) 1. adj: Of, or pertaining to, anything that is completely un-Gormallike in nature. 2. adj: Of or being the opposite of Gormal.

synonyms: uber, goonda, gosu
antonyms: noob, k-rad, Gormal

- Ragorn
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Dec 11, 2001 9:39 pm

Sarcasm and irony are largely lost on the BBS and the internet at large. My guess is that this is most likely due to the fact that both nonverbal (body language and whatnot- stance, etc.) and verbal cues (tone of voice, inflections) are indicative of sarcasm and verbal irony. None of those cues come through on the BBS or IM or ICQ or anything like that.

I'm also well aware that God has smitten many nations throughout the history of the world. I wouldn't dare presume to tell Him whom to smite and whom not to smite. He can do whatever He wants, as far as I'm concerned.

Only two of the things I mentioned (pretzels and leiderhosen) are truly German in origin, as far as I know, and I'm not even entirely sure about either of them.

So, uh, yeah, as far as I know, I get about 99% of the sarcasm and irony displayed on the board. I was in an odd mood at 3 am and felt like seeing whether anyone else would get my sarcasm in return =D

- Grungar "I'm an ass, I know" Forgefire
Kalthanan
Sojourner

Postby Kalthanan » Wed Dec 12, 2001 10:38 am

Sok, joo are too uber l33t for my n00b ass!
No wonder I nevah get any invites to group wif joo.. mebbe when I dun sux0r as bad, joo will give me a second chance.

How do i wield this black longsword of destruction again?
Gakka
Sojourner

Postby Gakka » Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:25 am

l33t:
http://www.wtfiml33t.com/viewarticle.php?artid=102

And Uber is german yes, and although it is used like super then it actually means above. Like "Germans above all".

Gakka Image Boom
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Dec 12, 2001 8:58 pm

his name is gakka
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Dec 12, 2001 11:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kalthanan:
How do i wield this black longsword of destruction again?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Syntax is:

rem all;put all bag;give bag ragorn

- Ragorn
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B> Yeah, he certainly isn't the petty type who would damn an entire nation. I mean, he Certainly hasn't doomed an entire species because one member of it ate an apple, and he would never flood the entire world because most of it's population disagreed with him...

Kuurg: We're probably about to find out. Image </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bearing in mind that the entire species was 2 people, both of whom were guilty as sin, to use a modern phrase?

I honestly don't think G-d would mind if you disagreed with Him; rather I think it was about following agreements.

Besides, aren't you going about this rather the wrong way? Arr! Darned movement to see deities and angels in human terms!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 13, 2001 12:09 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
gosu</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

w00t, g0+ g05|_|?

'For Aiur.'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Dec 14, 2001 2:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> w00t, g0+ g05|_|?

'For Aiur.'</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One point for Moritheil for recognizing an obscure game culture term.

- Ragorn
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Dec 14, 2001 6:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
Bearing in mind that the entire species was 2 people, both of whom were guilty as sin, to use a modern phrase?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be damned if I get drawn into a theological discussion (heh, no pun intended), however, I believe the bible is the first place one finds mention of the sins of the father being visited upon his son's son's son's yada yada yada to the 7th generation or some such. In this instance, I think the guy was fair in stating that it was an entire species being damned.

I've yet to encounter someone who refuted the assertion that the God of the old testament was a wrathful god. I doubt you will either. He was one stern deity.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Dec 15, 2001 1:19 am

To quote the onion, of all places:

"if you mess with him you will get smote. Truedat."

I was essentially suggesting that it was His right.
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Mon May 27, 2002 7:09 pm

http://www.tist.de/users/dawn/start.php?action=enl33t

for all of your l33t translation needs

------------------
Wobb
sharunel
Sojourner

Postby sharunel » Tue May 28, 2002 2:06 pm

actually, the word 'uber' is just the crippled american version of what they believe to be a german word Image

it's actually spelled ueber, or you use the little u with two dots above it instead. uber doesn't exit - and the way you use it generally makes no sense if you see it from a german point of view Image

so, uber, in fact, is a word with german origin that found its way into the american language and has its own meaning there - while no longer being a 'german' word. oh yeah, just like gakka mentioned already, the word ueber actually has different meanings/interpretations dependant on how you use it in a sentence Image

oh yeah.. it's actually a Bretzel, too, and Lederhose would be the correct spelling... Lederhosen is the plural version.

btw, god's already damned the germans, or i wouldn't live here Image
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Wed May 29, 2002 3:57 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gakka:
<B>l33t:
http://www.wtfiml33t.com/viewarticle.php?artid=102
Gakka Image Boom</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, kinda liked this part of that article:

"Of course if you really were a good hacker, you wouldn’t have to call yourself elite"

I can see that working along other avenues than just hacking. Image But that's just me!

El

------------------
Anar caluva tielyanna.
- "The sun shall shine upon your path."
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed May 29, 2002 5:28 pm

The myth of the Kung Fu Masta.

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Wed May 29, 2002 5:32 pm

Sok, don't listen to these fools,

elite = l33t

------------------
Leah A. W.
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Wed May 29, 2002 9:19 pm

l33t dictionary anyone?

newp <--some new dork
r0x0r <--something kix ass
h4x0r <--hacker

More pls thx...

------------------
<br /><a href="http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/tests/dumb/">How dumb are <i>you</i>?</a>

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”