Chris > Touk

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sun May 26, 2002 12:05 pm

My hat is off to you, Chris! *roar*

Bainzai! Chris heroically rescues the stabbing victim.

On a related note, unconfirmed sources have indicated that Yayaril was in fact hiding underneath the bar.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun May 26, 2002 12:53 pm

And in the police report there were great questions about the pirate eyepatch the hero was wearing.

As for Yayaril, as soon as the excitement calms down he'll be out claiming victory.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun May 26, 2002 3:09 pm

Yeah yeah whatever Chris, we know it was a couple kids with wiffle ball bats trying to steal your beer. Wussy Canadians.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun May 26, 2002 4:02 pm

hardcore. Glad to hear you're all right.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun May 26, 2002 5:21 pm

Ouch.. glad nobody got hurt too bad
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun May 26, 2002 6:07 pm

I'M KING OF THE WORLD!!!

*Leaps upon the bar and begins dancing wildly*

------------------
-Yayaril
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun May 26, 2002 6:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>Yeah yeah whatever Chris, we know it was a couple kids with wiffle ball bats trying to steal your beer. Wussy Canadians.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we know it didn't happen in America...
Everyone would have been passed out by 3am.
Wussy Canadians my ass!
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Sun May 26, 2002 9:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vahok:
<B> Well, we know it didn't happen in America...
Wussy Canadians my ass! </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all i can say is
LAUGH you wish Image

I done this to many times to count and my friend just laughs his ass off at me....

"OH SHIT!!! I gota be at work in 10 minutes...."
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue May 28, 2002 3:57 pm

Way to go Chris, I hate knives!

More to the point, we know it wasn't America, or they would've had guns.

I'd rather fight someone w/ a gun, it must be pointed at you to do damage, knives cause injury even incedentally.

Toplack

------------------
gogk
Sojourner

Postby gogk » Tue May 28, 2002 4:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Way to go Chris, I hate knives!

More to the point, we know it wasn't America, or they would've had guns.

I'd rather fight someone w/ a gun, it must be pointed at you to do damage, knives cause injury even incedentally.

Toplack

Gort i somwhat agree with you here about the if it were america it would be a gun. i live in a neighborhood where last summer there were 3 shootings a 7 am stabbing and countless muggings and assault cases.

you other remark about the different dagers in guns and knives. i dont that it came out the way you wanted to cause it makes no sense what so ever:P

and yeah way to go cap'n...

i been there.

------------------
Gogk, Everyone Picks On The Fat Kid
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue May 28, 2002 6:43 pm

"you other remark about the different dagers in guns and knives. i dont that it came out the way you wanted to cause it makes no sense what so ever:P"

I believe that he was refering to the ability of a knife wielder to quickly change the angle of a slash or thrust and strike at a target different than the one originally anticipated. Only morons attack linearly with a knife (even many people who lack any training will tend to slash wildly instead of stabbing), which incidentally is why so many martial arts styles have pathetic anti-knife techniques due to working on the assumption that the only attack a knife wielder will make is a linear thrust. That can work against a dagger due to their limited effectiveness when used in anything other than a thrust or stab (and hence why people who train in knife combat do not favor daggers, they're not versatile enough either as a tool or as a weapon) but frequently results in a wounded martial artist against other knife types.

However, I'll agree that Toplack's fear still makes no sense. There are lots of things you to do to something with handgun besides from just shooting them at range. A point blank shot or simply being bludgeoned by a few pounds of metal can be effective attacks at close range with a handgun if one lacks other ways to fight in close quarters. But none of this is going to happen if an opponent has no skill with what they're trying to attack you with. Fear of any particulary type of weapon or tool that can be used as a weapon is completely irrational. Fear of the person holding it is another matter entirely Image

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue May 28, 2002 7:00 pm

Feels strangely liberating doesn't it.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Tue May 28, 2002 9:03 pm

I'll fight someone with a knife before someone with a gun. One shot to the chest with a gun, and that's about it. And there's nothing to do to dodge it if they're up close and a decent shooter. Odds are they would be in a situation like this. Another thing about guns, they can pull the trigger twice very quick if they miss the first time. Someone misses you with a knife, you have a second or two more to react than if it were a gun.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue May 28, 2002 9:40 pm

boondock saints was the coolest movie ever. i watch the dvd all the time. sadly, i had to import it from canada

------------------
In the Great Cat's silence we walk,
In its speed we strike,
In its strength we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed May 29, 2002 3:54 pm

Agree Daz

As to the knife/gun thing, I don't fear either, I respect both. As to my preferences, I've been using both for many years, firearms since I was a small child. I've had extensive training in both, and extensive martial arts training. I've been in both types of situations, and even though I got shot (rock salt by neighbor... do you know how much that STINGS?!?) but not cut in knife fight (luck more than skill). I would still rather fight the gun than the knife.

Guns are more designed for distance (hence why I got the rock salt), knives close in, yes they can be used for cross range purpose, but they are less effective.

I personally prefer to tip a pint rather than fight, its hard on the liver after a while, but other than that, very much more fun.

Toplack *hic* Frostbear

------------------
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed May 29, 2002 4:43 pm

Geez I am glad it wasn't at my house, I have freaking real longswords hanging on my wall, I am sure, forget a knife, I am going to take this "Bitch" back outside and show them who is boss. HA!

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed May 29, 2002 4:54 pm

The are re-releasing boondock saints next month i think on a special edition dvd and best buy will be carrying it in the US. I had to import mine too. I heard a rumor that a sequal is written for it.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed May 29, 2002 6:47 pm

"I'll fight someone with a knife before someone with a gun. One shot to the chest with a gun, and that's about it. And there's nothing to do to dodge it if they're up close and a decent shooter. Odds are they would be in a situation like this. Another thing about guns, they can pull the trigger twice very quick if they miss the first time. Someone misses you with a knife, you have a second or two more to react than if it were a gun."

You've greatly overestimating how quickly you can transition from a missed diagonal slash into a horizontal slash into a horizontal thrust into another slash into etc. A missed stab can leave someone unable to attack if they put too much follow through into it and are overbalanced, but slashes can transition into followup attacks with just a flick of the wrist and even thrusting attacks can be followed up on quickly in less than a second if the attackers knows how to keep themselves balanced. Thankfully, many idiots that would attack you probably don't. Bottom line is that I don't have an preference for fighting either someone with a gun or a knife, I'd just prefer having to deal with someone that doesn't know how to best use what they have.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Thu May 30, 2002 8:59 am

I cut off peoples heads all the time, and i don't even care. I creep along the roof tops waiting to jump down and bite an unsuspecting victim on the back.

>> RABID NINJA <<
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Thu May 30, 2002 1:24 pm

Bunch of fools...
I can run from a knife. I'm not quite fast enough to run from a bullet.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu May 30, 2002 3:50 pm

I am reminded of a certain scene in the movie "Training Day."

"Gimme the Bitch."

Toarn
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu May 30, 2002 4:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mishre:
<B>I cut off peoples heads all the time, and i don't even care. I creep along the roof tops waiting to jump down and bite an unsuspecting victim on the back.

>> RABID NINJA <<</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mishre = Marv Albert? *boggle*

- Grungar "Transsexual, yes! From down-town!" Forgefire
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu May 30, 2002 4:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vahok:
<B> Well, we know it didn't happen in America...
Wussy Canadians my ass! </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

'Course it didn't happen in America- how many Americans do you know use the phrase 'drunken yahoos'?

I love Canadian colloquialisms.

- Grungar "I'm not a hoser, you hoser" Forgefire
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu May 30, 2002 8:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>The are re-releasing boondock saints next month i think on a special edition dvd and best buy will be carrying it in the US. I had to import mine too. I heard a rumor that a sequal is written for it.

uber. I heard that guy got screwed out of his rightful earnings due to the timing of his release.

And I'd rather not fight anyone Image Remember, it's only a fight if they get to hit you back.

errr - I sound like Yaya. Creepy.

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
Zanalista
Sojourner

Postby Zanalista » Thu May 30, 2002 9:53 pm

OK, only a bunch of mud-dogs can reply to this?
how about Thank God you weren't hurt Chris/Touk
Hope your friend has a speedy recovery....
Let's hope this situation doesn't happen again..
instead of glorifying the shitty situation he got put in while trying to enjoy his friends party???
Mayhem and murder , looting and pillaging is all the rage in our sojourn world... but IRL??? come on people that's why we live the fantasy ...at least the hard cores... we can get away and do as we will and the times are olden and hopefully more chivalrous as we reek havoc and cast spells
so Touk *great big hugs and kisses* I'm glad YOU are ok and hope your friend is recovering nicely... it's nice to know you are as much the protector in real life as you are in our 'world'
*Salute Touk* *cheek Touk*

------------------
Zanalista
Geographically Challenged
Elf at Large...
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Fri May 31, 2002 3:17 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B> 'Course it didn't happen in America- how many Americans do you know use the phrase 'drunken yahoos'?

I love Canadian colloquialisms.

- Grungar "I'm not a hoser, you hoser" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell is Grungar talking about eh? Could a fellow hoser explain it to me? Ah, nuts to this, I'm gonna get a case of Moosehead and watch a little puck ....
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri May 31, 2002 3:19 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zanalista:
<B>OK, only a bunch of mud-dogs can reply to this?

Pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is a mud-dog?

And woo Touk! Woo being alive! Woo!

- Grungar "Alive? Check. All four limbs? Check. Ok, it's official. This is a good day." Forgefire
Zanalista
Sojourner

Postby Zanalista » Fri May 31, 2002 8:52 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grungar:
[B] Pardon my ignorance, but what on earth is a mud-dog?

not trying to force new slang on anyone Grungar but a dogs a dog... and thereby a dog who plays the mud would be a mud dog ;>
or mud puppy if you prefer but that's just too darn cute love for the discussion that was taking place over guns vs knives when the whole point was he was at a party to enjoy himself when all hell broke loose..
love you all anyway ;P
Zannie

------------------
Zanalista
Geographically Challenged
Elf at Large...

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”