necromancers and best class for explorations

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
vynigumba
Sojourner

necromancers and best class for explorations

Postby vynigumba » Tue Mar 06, 2001 5:50 pm

How is playing as a necromancer?

I would invite fellow necromancers post here your experience.

I am with Tanras. I feel like it is a good class, but I am not sure I would play it again. It is definitively a solo class, If played well can give you good rewards. But it comes to a big price. You rarely get groups, the only useful spell for the group is globe, and eventually the bites of the vampires. Also to keep vampires alive in zones may be difficult. furthermore those undead rarely obey your commands in a timely way. Offensive spell are weak. Any mybe the only real reward is the lich status. Which is impossible to achieve alone... (why?)
I feel like the class upgrade should be a quest which is possible to complete alone without external interferences....

I would like to see some sort of upgrade in the way undead are commanded by the necromancer.
Also I would be nice to see the basic statistics of your undeads (ac, hit/dam etc etc..). I used to give hit/dam equipment to my vampires, but I didnt notice any effect.
Can someone tell me how this worked?

I think I will start playing something else which gives me the opportunity to explore more. contrarly at what you may think necromancers are not so good for exploring, you end out of corpses pretty quickly. And without undeads is quite risky to pass by aggro monsters. (even the weak ones...)

Maybe I will start a necromancer later on.
Any idea which is the best class for exploring?
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:13 pm

IMO Shaman....

Regen..
detect invis and Invis...
Heal spells....
Pets......
and when it gets really jacked...word of recall.

[This message has been edited by azzixxenae (edited 03-06-2001).]
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:24 pm

Shaman is definitely the best class for solo exploring. Probably the Ogre Shaman so you can doorbash :P

The only thing that could make them better is planeshift. Other than that I mapped damn near all of the prime material (save goodie hometowns) with my troll shaman Grimulk.

-stone/vit/heal/invis/missile shield great personal protection
-pets (mentals/spirits) for fodder/corpse dragging
-continual light/create food for those perm light rations for self and pets
-farsee for seeing through the doors/teleporters you want to get through
-word of recall

offensively shamans are weak, but if you just want to explore there is no single better class.

of course the best way to explore is in a group, but unless they're all into mapping too, you better keep them entertained Image

[This message has been edited by Faerwynd (edited 03-06-2001).]
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:28 pm

i did a LOT of exploring with saitcho. rangers can do a lot with the right tactics and intelligence. actually any class can do a lot with that, but i think i explored a ton of stuff solo. its always more fun to explore with someone else in my opinion.

saitcho
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:41 pm

The best thing with being an ogre shaman is that there is not much that can bash you Image

/Jegzed
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:17 pm

Ogre shaman.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:19 pm

Yay Saitcho! =) I would have to agree, with an obviously biased standpoint. . . rangers are a very good exploration class. =)

I would anticipate Illusionists being a good exploration class. . . if they are at all like sorcs of old =) great balance.

Wae
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:27 pm

Necros, Shamans, and Rangers?

BAH!

Perhaps those classes are competent explorers for the prime plane, but how do you intend to explore the outer planes with classes that have no ability to get there alone? Druids I say! Plane Shift, Heal, Conjure Elemental, Word of Recall, and All Protections! Druids were an excellent class for exploration, though in all honesty the player and his/her ability is what makes the class either a great explorer or a great blunder. The final point to why druids are the best exploring class is this, if you actually do find something worthwhile, you can well in your buddies to smite it mightily then well them back out to safety and continue your explorations.

Elscint Hairytoes (The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke

P.S. I was also known as Jarsali the mighty grey elf druid!
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Tue Mar 06, 2001 7:37 pm

Good arguement for Druids... though similar arguements could be made for clerics (fullheal) or conjurers (mentals), both sans moonwell of course. Ok I'll concede that Druids are this >< close to being better. A close second.

However, Shamans got STONESKIN. That seals the deal right there! Holy shit! If I had a nickel for every time that spell saved my life... well I'd have $112.35, but the point is this: For all around exploring you can't beat Shamans, and if you can suffer through horrid Ogre regen at low levels, I say Ogre Shamans!

!bash
doorbash!
plus all the advantages I listed above. Of course you can get farsee and stuff w/equip... but I did a lot of exploring naked so I could die w/o worrying about losing my eq. try and top that neat little caveat with your tree huggin' druid!

besides, all you gotta do is know someone with gate to get to any plane you want Image
Ulnd
Sojourner

Postby Ulnd » Tue Mar 06, 2001 9:59 pm

I have heard a lot of people complaining that necro's are too powerfull. Anybody who says this just hasn't really played a necro. First, it is the hardest class in the world to level up to a point where it is worthwhile playing. Second, and most importantly, necro's don't get to do zones all that often. Necros need to be a great solo class, otherwise they would never get any eq or be able explore at all. Sure some people are able to tweak necros to the point of doing jot for exp solo, but I gaurantee you most of them are not able to. Downgrading necros because of just a few people is silly to me. For the average necro(who actually makes it to 31) they are a fairly powerfull class, but not a one man army.

If necro pets are downgraded, they should at least be able have a couple more decent spells to get them into groups. Enough rant.

Ulnd/Folrath
therdan
Sojourner

Postby therdan » Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:12 am

Best class to explore would be god :P
goto rocks but after a while you forget how to walk from buffs to wd
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Wed Mar 07, 2001 9:09 am

vynigumba:

No way should this level of quest be do-able solo.

A lich is a rare creature--if it were easy to power up a necro, become a lich in short order w/out the long and painful quest, then the class/race wouldn't be unique anymore.

The necros I've run across are pretty strange and anti-social. Perhaps, if you find a solitary existence distastful (e.g. no zones or groups), then you might consider playing another class.
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:03 pm

Paladins.

Paladins are good for exploring because of numerous reasons.

1) You have layhands in case you get hurt bad as hell
2) You have a horse companion to help you, rescue you and to ride if you run out of moves
3) Once you get an avenger it stones you and heals you automatically.
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:27 pm

You stick enough eq on any character and they'll be a good explorer. But to be truly good in your explorations, it's a lot easier to be brave with word of recall :P

So in that respect, no way a Paladin could touch a Shaman/Druid/Cleric.
Tovel
Sojourner

Postby Tovel » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:12 pm

once you get di and some invis eq thief is the best for exploration hide,sneak,pick lock,disarm trap,and possably the best skill ever escape.
Zhadow
Sojourner

Postby Zhadow » Sat Mar 10, 2001 10:39 am

For the goody side ... it supposed to be Ranger ... but hey ... could and should ... is two different thing ... for the goody side that could ... hmmm i'll go for druid, shaman and conj. For the evil ... definitely necro or better yet lich ... of course conj or shaman also Image

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”