Star Wars Episode II discusion good or bad?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon May 20, 2002 8:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
I thought it would have been an interesting twist if Dooku was actually the only one who saw the Chancelor being a Sith, and was truly a good guy, then Anakin killing him and removing the last major obstacle to him becoming Emperor? Or was that just me? I did like that he was a Sith, and seemed to gather that he'd replaced Darth Maul as the Emperor's disciple. You could also see The Chancelor grooming Anakin to replace him. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same thing.. Movie would have been SOO much better if Dokuu had been a good guy.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon May 20, 2002 10:07 pm

Disclaimer: I am not a die-hard star wars fan. I am someone who passively enjoys the movies.

Things I liked about the movie:

- The choreographing of the lightsabre battles gets better with each movie. You can now see a distinct style of combat that most of the Jedi share. In 4/5/6, Luke and Vader used their sabres like baseball bats. Obi and Qui-Gon had some flash in their combat, but their fight scenes were generally short and sparse, and there were only two Jedi, so you couldn't really see any trends. In 2, you see ALL the Jedi using their lightsabres in a twirling, spinning fashion. In gearing up to strike, most of the Jedi begin their attacks by flipping their wrists and flashing their sabres around in a circle, presumably to work up to the smooth motions needed to deflect blaster shots. Their actions are smooth and rhythmic, and they deflect shots with finesse.

- I thought Yoda's animation was actually very well done.

- It was good to get a sense that the Jedi Council was a group of actual people... seeing how Yoda interacted with the students and even Obi-Wan when they weren't in direct audience gave the council a more realistic development. Seeing Windu and Yoda talk "behind the scenes" was also beneficial to the development of the actual characters.

- Jedi and Stormtroopers fighting on the same side... cool Image

- Seeing several Jedi use two lightsabres was cool... we got the impression in Ep2 that the sabre itself was an important tool of the Jedi, and not just a flashy stick you kill people with.

Now what I didn't like.

- Natalie Portman is a terrible actress. I'm sorry, she is. Her dialogue was very flat, and she didn't open her body language to Anakin, even when she was supposedly in love with him.

- The kid who played Anakin was even worse. He didn't come off as a skilled youth being consumed by hatred over the loss of his mother, he was portrayed as a whiny little bitch just looking for an excuse to kill someone. He practically cried when he said "Obi-Wan is holding me back, it's not fair!" I expected Darth Vader to be calculating, vengeful and methodic... not petulant.

- I felt the acting throughout the movie just wasn't polished. Half of that probably has to do with the fact that the actors had to get into character with nothing more than a blue screen and some costumes. The other half was the uninspired dialogue and cliched writing. And that brings us to:

- George Lucas's compete inability to develop believable characters. Throughout all 5 movies, Lucas has presented the negative aspects of the characters' personalities by having them complain and act like children. Luke in 4/5 and Anakin in 2 are nothing more than one-dimensional whiny babies. Instead of having Anakin petition Mace and Yoda for a new master, or try to go around Obi-Wan's back and take the trials without his permission, we get a scene where he throws a temper tantrum and sobbingly says "one day I will be the most powerful of ALL Jedi!"

Amidala was a queen? The ruler of an entire race of people? And is now one of the most influential senators in the senate? And she doesn't flinch when Anakin confesses to slaughtering an entire village full of backwards aboriginees like animals? That's when I lost the last little bit of faith I had in Amidala's character. She's a total tool. She gets used by Palpatine, she gets used by Anakin, everyone gets a chance to bend this little girl's mind.

- I can't follow the plot anymore. Too much shit gets dropped into the mix with no explanation. That guy who commissioned the clone army? Who was he and why? How did he evade detection? You mean to tell me that Anakin can sense a centepede from 200 yards, but Yoda can't sense 200,000 clones being made? There was something about some guy going before the Supreme Court or something, but we don't find out ANYTHING about that. Dooku comes out of nowhere. Why is the Trade Federation so pissed at the republic? Why is Tattooine not a republic planet? How are so many entire races of people able to unite in rebellion without anyone (especially the Jedi) figuring it out? The Sith? Wasn't Darth Maul one of them? How many more of these rent-a-goons is Palpatine going to go through? Why don't we see more about the Sith? How did Dooku grow so strong in the Force with nobody to teach him? If Palpatine really has the powers of a Sith master, why can't the Jedi council see it when they're like 6 feet away from him?

- Stupid comic relief. C3PO didn't used to be so corny, did he?

- Finally, that entire scene in the droid plant was completely unnecessary. Cute special effects and some excitement, but that entire 10 minute span could have been cut out or replaced with something that was a little more plot-oriented and not designed specifically to make the Nintendo game harder.

At least we got the pod race scene over with early, even if it did end with Anakin falling 2 miles and landing on a car.

- Ragorn
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon May 20, 2002 11:08 pm

Natalie Portman is actually a very good actress (judging by her earlier movies), I think the problem lies in the fact that Lucas forgot to write her a character. Image

Alot of your problems with the plot are explainable though Rags..maybe when I have some time I'll post an explanation of the machinations going on. I'm a big fan of the movies, so I had no problem following everything, but it does seem as if casual viewers are having a problem untangling everything.

Oh, and yes - Threepio has always been that cheesy Image

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Tue May 21, 2002 1:21 am

natalie portman is a great actress with a future ahead of her.

hayden christansen the same, he was amazing in 'life as a house'

too bad lucas can either a) no longer write well or b) no longer direct well. remember he did not direct empire or jedi himself, and the only major flaw in either of those movies was the ewoks. all of the actors came of age in those movies and were NOT cheesy.

i'll watch it a fourth time, i'll just set the alarm clock on my cell phone to buzz me awake 2 hours into it. the action sequences were worth the price of admission.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue May 21, 2002 1:32 am

I would just like to point out something basically everyone missed:

George Lucas was not the sole writer of the screenplay for Episode 2. Jonathan Hales also wrote quite a bit of it.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue May 21, 2002 4:59 am

Just saw the movie..

I have to agree mightily with those who said that Dooku should have been a good-guy who recognized Palpatine for the evil focker that he is. It would have been truly ironic if Yoda and all the Jedi's sealed their own fate by killing off the one Jedi who was able to recognize what the hell was happening and do something to stop it. Of course Dooku ends up being a bad guy, and lives to get congratulated by Darth Sidious.. which wasn't bad either I guess. Just think the alternative would have been cooler. Oh well.

I definately liked the underlying story more than the acting and the script.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Tue May 21, 2002 6:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>I thought it would have been an interesting twist if Dooku was actually the only one who saw the Chancelor being a Sith, and was truly a good guy, then Anakin killing him and removing the last major obstacle to him becoming Emperor? Or was that just me? I did like that he was a Sith, and seemed to gather that he'd replaced Darth Maul as the Emperor's disciple. You could also see The Chancelor grooming Anakin to replace him.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That about Dooku, for a moment, was exactly what I was thinking until George ruined what could have been an extremely interesting plot. What if the only person to know the truth about the sith was killed by the Jedi? Such as maybe an all too chaotic Anakin on a rescue mission? They then notify the republicans of the droid army and bingo bango bongo WAR!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
waelos - those bugs are geonosians and they dont turn up later. neither to troydarians (watto) nor a lot of the aliens seen here. the empire is a racist regime akin to nazi germany, and palpatine was known to wipe out entire races or use them for experimentation.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In some of the books certain races are mentioned that have been all but wiped out by the empire, Geonosians among them. The rest have been enslaved or fled to the remote areas of the outer-rim.

In response to Teyaha, yep, why the hell approve the books if you are going to disregard them in some aspects, but not others? Though if taken as stand alones, the books are better than episode 1 & 2 by far.

About Yoda, the fight scene was utterly retarded, I thought he would have been along the lines of a martial arts master, power achieved by precision and grace. Or that he not even need to hold his lightsabre to fight with it but use the force? Not here, instead he slips some speed and goes monkey style kung fu on him. Simply rediculous...

Also, the love story couldn't have been weaker. I thought that it would have been better to have still had Anakin slay the Tuskans, but he should have kept it a secret. So that his crying actually COULD be played on Amidala as sadness? This would have also been a better lead to the dark path... a seed of hate sewn for evil to sprout from.

Some of the movie was so cliche that it made me less creative having witnessed it... "What a drag" ??? WTF? Is George on Crack?

There are however some good things...

Obi won is simply the best played character and Ewan McGreggor has been the perfect choice, I can't wait to see him F___ up Anakin in the next movie!

Thank the maker that jar jar has like only 10 lines! About time someone muzzled him.

Fett, lots of Fett, can't go wrong with Fett...

Godly awsome grandoise fight scenes, though I'm saddened by CGI's totally supplanting tactile Models, they just look better.

The fight scene between OB1, Anakin and Dooku showed just how ready OB1 was as a teacher and Anakin was as a student...

Seeing it in a digital theatre? Amazing.

Sith runs away and lives to fight another day...

All in all, a good movie with some eyecandy...

My record stands as thus;

best to worst
1)Empire Strikes Back (Goes to show the goodies don't always win)
2)Return of the Jedi (The awsome galactic battle hinging upon the success of a small strikeforce, the gold bikini?)
3)A New Hope (Just because it was before George lost his mind)
4)Insert Episode 3's name here... (It can't possibly be as bad as the 1st or 2nd)
5)Attack of the Clones(Jar Jar has 10 lines!?!)
6)The Phantom Menace (as above but)^10

As you can see, I was thouroughly dissapointed by his lack luster plot and absence of beleivable continuity...

But this is just my oppinion...
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue May 21, 2002 6:57 am

Well, maybe I am the only one..

I actually believed Dooku WAS the good guy, and it was going to suck that he was going to be killed by the Jedi..

I thought the typical thought that he was evil was the surprise instead of predictable.

Also, is no one else seeing what happened? Palpatine actually formed two armies. 1) He was behind the clone army being built for the Republic (precursor to stormtroopers) and 2) He was behind the droid army of the Trade Federation ..

Why?

He was playing both sides. He pit them against each other as a power play to become undisputed ruler of the Senate.

I thought it was a pretty intricate plot, considering Episode I's lack thereof..

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue May 21, 2002 7:10 am

Dornax,

I think Palpatine's ultimate goal was to create a war. In doing so, he got dictator-like power from the senate. In order to create the war, he armed and played both sides. But yah, the war itself is palpatine v. himself, but he wins because the war is created in the first place. Thats why Yoda, at the end, admonishes Obi for declaring the battle a victory.

The archtype theme of good v. the dark side is embodied in this episode by playing democracy off against dictatorship.

As an aside, it wasn't surprising that Dooku was on the dark side. Any doubt was erased as soon as he ordered the executions to begin. I would have liked to have seen there be a little more ambiguity about that, at least for a little while longer, or even into episode 3.

Also, though I'm glad that Lukas geared this movie towards adults, i think he should have been more clear about the underlying plot (Palpatine's power grab). One thing that strikes me about this movie, unlike the original three movies and even phantom menace to an extent, is that it cannot be enjoyed unless taken into context with what happened before and after. All the other movies, even though they were interrelated, also had self-contained plots that were entertaining to someone who hadn't watched the other movies.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue May 21, 2002 7:21 am

I agree with you that the wonder about Dooku should have been extended long, but I am glad we got to see a Sith Lord actually show his power. Heck, Yoda could not even best him. Also, it showed Anakin already lose a limb, Obi-Wan's prowess considering his opponent and the fact that the dark side actually has to be reckoned with (Darth Maul's death was a huge flop)..

I think the story was well played out, and it gave everyone something to think about. Kids could enjoy the visual effects while the more mature audience had plenty of stuff to pick apart until the next movie.. which is fun in my opinion.

I liked the fact everything wasn't spelled out for that reason.

Hmmm, as far as the movie's plot being enjoyably on its own, I think it was pretty good as a movie period.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue May 21, 2002 1:21 pm

One big clue in to me on Dooku was that he'd left the Jedi 10 years ago, right after Darth Maul died. Always 2 there are, so Palpatine needed another pupil, and he seduced him with the power of the dark side. Just like he's grooming Anakin in this one, knowing Dooku will die in the next one.

I think Anakin was written to be more a 14 year old character (the whiney bit) than an 18-19 year old. But, I haven't been either age in quite some time, all I remember of it was a lot of drinking, womanizing, and being a general *sshole. I'm feeling much better now.

Toplack

------------------
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri May 24, 2002 6:22 pm

Personally I preferred Return of the Jedi as my favorite, and then Empire.

No I didn’t like the stupid Ewoks either. But I sure love those few clips where the Storm Troopers blast them and you see Ewoks go flying. Why do I like Jedi the most? The scenes with Luke and Vader and the Emperor just rule! The Jabba rescue thing in the beginning with Leia in the gold bikini.. How could you not like that?

As for McGregor (sp?) being such a great actor in Ep1 and Ep2: Give me a f’ng break. His one line he says over and over is “Be mindful…” I’m so tired of hearing him say the same dam things over and over. I was waiting for Anakin to cut him off at one point and say “of my thoughts, master? Will they like betray me and stuff master? Ya think?” If Anny was truly arrogant, he’d start asking Obi wan what is so great about being full of mind. I DO admit McGregor’s performance was a lot better in Ep2 then in Ep1, but I’m really not saying much.

Basically I don’t think anyone’s acting in Episode 2 was anything to jump up and down about. Not_at_all. I think if Samuel L got stoned before he shot his scenes, he’d been a lot more interesting to watch.

Yoda was the only one with personality and a little spunk. And he was completely CG!

I’m glad Ragorn brought up the fact that Master Yoda couldn’t detect the dark lord of the Sith from 6 feet away. Palpatine is like a freaking black hole of the darkside. How can he NOT feel that?

As for better comedic elements, it would have been a trip to see the Jedis and driods kicking around Jango Fett’s head after it got cut off, horribly scarring young Boba in the process to make him really hate Jedi.

Jenera, you shoulda got up and used that crutch.. on her.

Ok ok, I'll keep this one short.

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri May 24, 2002 6:57 pm

The dark side clouds things, it is not terribly surprising that--so long as they are not using their dark force powers in some way--yoda would not have been able to detect palpatine.

It is difficult to see that which you are not looking for. The most clever places to hide are not those that are the best concealed, but those where you are the least likely to be expected.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Fri May 24, 2002 7:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
<B>The dark side clouds things, it is not terribly surprising that--so long as they are not using their dark force powers in some way--yoda would not have been able to detect palpatine.

It is difficult to see that which you are not looking for. The most clever places to hide are not those that are the best concealed, but those where you are the least likely to be expected.

"Sir! It appears our force has been.. JAMMED!"

So if you have the most powerful scanner powers in the universe, and yet you're being jammed at the source. Um, what does that tell you then?

Meditate on this, you will.

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri May 24, 2002 7:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
- Natalie Portman is a terrible actress. I'm sorry, she is. Her dialogue was very flat, and she didn't open her body language to Anakin, even when she was supposedly in love with him.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would hardly attribute this to Natalie Portman, who as Shev said most certainly *can* act. I'd give this one over to Lucas, partly to the way he envishioned and designed it partly to how he wrote her character.

There was an overall lack of intimacy between Anakin and Padme--but its not something either of them could do about it as actors, it just wasn't written into their characters.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
He didn't come off as a skilled youth being consumed by hatred over the loss of his mother, he was portrayed as a whiny little bitch just looking for an excuse to kill someone. He practically cried when he said "Obi-Wan is holding me back, it's not fair!" I expected Darth Vader to be calculating, vengeful and methodic... not petulant.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I think this is roughly how he is supposed to come off at this point--hormones raging against the world.

I disagree with your assessment of "looking for an excuse to kill someone"--the fact that he was given sloppy lines and poorly portrayed did not add this to his character.

Though yes, he was way way too aggrevating and whiny Image

Instead of having Anakin petition Mace and Yoda for a new master, or try to go around Obi-Wan's back and take the trials without his permission, we get a scene where he throws a temper tantrum and sobbingly says "one day I will be the most powerful of ALL Jedi!"
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fundamental misunderstanding of how the Jedi system works.

1) He cannot take the trials without the permission of the master in charge of his instruction. Period. If he goes to those in charge of them they will say "When your master comes to us..."

2) Petition for a new instructor? When the instructor he has is held in high esteem and, under it all, Anakin knows is a good instructor?

And she doesn't flinch when Anakin confesses to slaughtering an entire village full of backwards aboriginees like animals?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Sandpeople are not backwards aboriginees, listen to the Radio Drama.

2) Oh please. What was she going to do? Go, comfort a few friends who are completely distressed and then get back to me.

Now for the plot, one step at a time:

That guy who commissioned the clone army? Who was he and why? How did he evade detection?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Emperor Palpatine/Sidious.
2) See #1, to start a war and become emperor.
3) The same way he is now, by being where no-one is looking for him.

You mean to tell me that Anakin can sense a centepede from 200 yards, but Yoda can't sense 200,000 clones being made?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think in context. You are in an empty room that is relatively small and you are focusing on one person dressed in white with a white background. The centipede, which is a threat, shows up in black. How hard is it to see now? Especially since you know where to look.

Now expand that room to encompass the entire Universe, many-many more people, places, events, &c. Now throw on that the Army's creation is being masked by the Dark Side of the force AND you don't know where to look.

There was something about some guy going before the Supreme Court or something, but we don't find out ANYTHING about that
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sidious. Who didn't go before the court. He placed the order, "died", and came back as Palpatine.

Dooku comes out of nowhere.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the first part. Leader of the separtists.

Why is the Trade Federation so pissed at the republic?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Backstory. Placing restrictions &c, interfering with their embargo/siege of naboo, &c

Why is Tattooine not a republic planet?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Backwater planet in the middle of nowhere, with little legitimate economy to speak of.

How are so many entire races of people able to unite in rebellion without anyone (especially the Jedi) figuring it out?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much do they have on their plates?

Also I wouldn't say "entire races," I would say "entire groups"--they do not necessarily represent the entire race.

The Sith? Wasn't Darth Maul one of them? How many more of these rent-a-goons is Palpatine going to go through?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As many as he has.

Why don't we see more about the Sith?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because this is a movie about the good guys.

How did Dooku grow so strong in the Force with nobody to teach him?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was a former Jedi, quit about 10 years ago, trained by Master Yoda (or was it Master Sidious?).

If Palpatine really has the powers of a Sith master, why can't the Jedi council see it when they're like 6 feet away from him?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
1) he is masking himself
2) they aren't looking.

Stupid comic relief. C3PO didn't used to be so corny, did he?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, always.

The movie had its problems, a confusing plot wasn't one of them.

------------------
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri May 24, 2002 10:08 pm

Thank you for the explanation. 99% of what you said either comes from the books or is implied by a source outside the movie. Watching the 5 movies, I'd NEVER have even began to fathom that the one reference to the Supreme Court in the beginning of Ep2 referred to Sidious. Nor would I have had any idea that the Jedi who "died 10 years ago" was also Sidious.

- Ragorn

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri May 24, 2002 10:26 pm

Actually Ragorn I think you fell asleep during the movie Image

" Nor would I have had any idea that the Jedi who "died 10 years ago" was also Sidious."

Obi Wan speaking with the cloners. "Master Sidious died nearly ten years ago..."

Dooku is explicitly mentioned to have left the Jedi order in about the same time frame as well.

------------------
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Fri May 24, 2002 10:41 pm

NERRRRRRRR-*inhale*-RRRRRRRRRRRD'S!!

Disco beats up Star Wars geeks for breakfast Lemonade

p.s. I like Star Wars.

------------------
I don't want to come back down from this cloud.
It's taken me all this time to find out what I needed.
Yadir
Sojourner

Postby Yadir » Fri May 24, 2002 11:10 pm

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/tv/nerds.html

I liked the movie. It wasn't as good as I was hoping.

Master Yoda: "A perimeter around the survivors create!"

1,000,000 Clones: "Huh?" "What the..." "What did he say?" "Anybody catch that?" "I didn't do well in geometry." "I don't speak Yodese." "Drop me off on that sand dune with Princess Amidala." "Are we there yet?"

I've been laughing about Yoda's battle commands ever since. Could he issue more cryptic orders? I think not!
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Fri May 24, 2002 11:15 pm

El - "2) Oh please. What was she going to do? Go, comfort a few friends who are completely distressed and then get back to me."

How many of your friends butchered an entire village of sentient beings, male, female and offspring in a fit of anger?

We've all had 'completely distressed' friends, and comforted them. . . Im pretty sure its part of the human experience. Implying that we 'get back to you' afterwards is pretty insulting =). . . and really, how can you draw any parallel from a distressed friend to what Anakin did? Unless, of course, you were chillin' with Stalin or Hitler =P *giggle* Just my 2 cents!

Lost (sorta)

------------------
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri May 24, 2002 11:18 pm

I'm admittedly very forgiving with my movies. That said, I found Ep. 2 to be awesome and heart-stopping at the same time.

The reason?

Because of all the reflections of what is to come. Granted it's not hard to create a reflection when you the originals already so widely known. But even still, didn't you get a chill seeing the first version of Stormtroopers and Star Destroyers lifting off? The final fight with Dooku before Yoda showed up?

These and all of the other similarities made the movie come alive, and not only brought out a new story, but helped me relive the old ones that have had such an impact.

Sylvos
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Sat May 25, 2002 12:23 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
Sidious. Who didn't go before the court. He placed the order, "died", and came back as Palpatine.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two words, Yo? No...

Dooku is the one who placed the order 10 years ago, when palpatine (who was never formally trained as a jedi) became supreme chancelor. Dooku is really Cypha Dias or however you spell it...

As for a confusing plot, I was not at all confused by it, I actually thought it was painfully obvious, but it could have been better...

Imagine if dooku WAS the goodguy, anakin offs him, jedi deliver plans for the deathstar to the chancelor, TADA!!!

But I am a big fan of irony...
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sat May 25, 2002 1:04 am

Which is why dooku at the end says "Master Siphadeus...."

------------------
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sat May 25, 2002 1:07 am

Dooku = Lord Tyranos.

------------------
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sat May 25, 2002 7:06 am

yeah plot with doku was obvious.. asking obi wan to leave the jedi and all, just spanks of darkside Image

And i have to say, Lucas is a horrible acting director, i think the rest of his directing is better than most.. most of the actors he has in his movies are good actors, but he writes hollow characters and doesn't want them to express any feellings at all.. (apparently jedi are emotionaless so you don't see them showing emotions).. anyway... i blame lucas and not the actors for any faults..

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat May 25, 2002 8:13 am

About Amidala comforting Anakin after the sandpeople slaughter:

1) They cut out the rest of the scene which put it in a better context, imho.

2) Remember, Amidala has been to Tattoine once, 10 years ago, for 2 days. Presumably, the only thing she knows about Sand People is what Owen and Anakin said about them: 'They walk upright like men, but they are animals.'

Bleeding heart that she is, even the slaughter of what she thinks of as animals would be unfortunate. However, it would still be understandable given the fact that they KILLED HIS MOTHER. Image

Anyways.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sat May 25, 2002 11:08 pm

I think everyone that is so upset about how George Lucas tread on their idea of "what starwars is" should watch this, and see if they are in the crowd.

-FOR ME TO POOP ON

http://www.orblivion.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon May 27, 2002 2:13 am

I liked Ep2. I've watched the other 4 films, and that's pretty much it, but I didn't have any trouble following the plot, and I could answer all of those questions asked earlier after one viewing. Character development and directing was mediocre, but I wasn't expecting an Oscar contender - I was expecting Star Wars. I mean seriously, have you ever watched Return of the Jedi when Luke tells Leia they are siblings? I havent seen acting that bad in either Ep1 or Ep2.

------------------
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Mon May 27, 2002 8:09 am

heh and as far as acting go, think of how many movies carrie fischer(sp?) and Mark Hammel have been in since Star Wars... Image i think the first trilogy was better story wise... but ep2 is better special affects wise, thats all Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Fri May 31, 2002 10:38 am

Commenting on Natalie Portman's acting ability: my refrigerator delivers lines with more skills.

Natalie Portman was great as a child actress, ie: The Professional, but the problem is that her acting skill has not improved in any way shape or form since then.

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 31, 2002 5:40 pm

It is difficult to see that which you are not looking for. The most clever places to hide are not those that are the best concealed, but those where you are the least likely to be expected.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once when playing hide and seek with my friends, I hid in a shelf of the entertainment center which housed the TV everyone was watching after being found. I used a single row of videos to draw attention away from my person. They didn't notice me as I started to extract myself until a my foot cleared the front.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri May 31, 2002 6:17 pm

ROFL AGree! omg u are funny hehe

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zellin:
<B>Commenting on Natalie Portman's acting ability: my refrigerator delivers lines with more skills.

Natalie Portman was great as a child actress, ie: The Professional, but the problem is that her acting skill has not improved in any way shape or form since then.

------------------
Leah A. W.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri May 31, 2002 6:19 pm

oh yea, and Anikan Skywalker was completely lame! lol the way he talks and acts is so annoying! (did i already say this? i'm sorry if i did, i just can't help myself)

------------------
Leah A. W.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:53 pm

http://underpower.non-essential.com/?comic=20020520

You must all see this.

A few comments:
Yoda's comment comes from the fact that if they had truly won, there would have been no fighting.

Speed is the number one factor in fighting with a weapon as lethal as the lightsaber. Even a glancing blow could cripple someone.

Yoda was continually referred to as the preeminent master swordsman; why was Dooku itching to fight him? Hubris? It seemed a little weak.

The only char way out of line, imho, was Anakin.

And now, this:

[img]http://underpower.non-essential.com/comics/20020520.jpg"%20alt="Underpower%20review.[/img]

------------------
Zaryn group-says 'If we can para the mages again. Mori's trick is going to save us.'
<> You group-say 'zaryn the "mori save us" irony is not lost on me'
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:01 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
OMFG, Natalie Portman looks good..</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn straight =D
Mmmm... Midriffs...

Only thing I don't like about her is the name.

Yeah, so I finally got around to seeing it on Saturday. I was one of like six people in the theatre.

I thought it was a purty decent flick; I'd place it in a tie for third with Return of the Jedi, behind A New Hope, and Empire (ton-tons rule).

We need more of the Yoda. More of the Yoda smashing stuff. More Yoda-induced mass destruction.

I wanna see the miniature Jedis fight. That would be pretty sweet. Little jedi children kicking ass.

Yeah. All in all, I enjoyed the movie. $5 well spent, I suppose. Better than other things out at the time. Ok back to work.

- Grungar "Sweatin' Mori's style, bumpin the ole posts" Forgefire
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:38 pm

I didnt bother reading much of the posts. Palapatine isn't Sith lord yet. He is a non-aged clone body of Sidious. Sid gonna use tranference in the next movie after Pal is in charge of everything.

That's why Yoda doesn't sense him.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Salen:
<B>I didnt bother reading much of the posts. Palapatine isn't Sith lord yet. He is a non-aged clone body of Sidious. Sid gonna use tranference in the next movie after Pal is in charge of everything.

That's why Yoda doesn't sense him.

Either that, or he devoted all his training to nondetection, and thus isn't that great of a fighter, but can evade even Yoda's senses.

Grungar funny.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'why do I own so hard'
You whisper 'why do you own so hard?' to Dartan.
Dartan tells you 'I ask myself that every day.'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Jun 11, 2002 10:55 am

Just saw EP2, and overall it was pretty good.

Its great to finally see some real Jedi battle, though some of the battle and fight scenes I thought were a bit abrupt and lacked a bit of definition.

Yoda in action rocked.
How can he go from hobble to ninja in 0.5 of a second? The Force, of course!
It would have drained him heavily, but "trust in the force, Luke".
Concerns about Yoda struggling to stop the falling beam from crushing Obi Wan and Anakin? It's all momentum and drain, baby - unprepared for it, already drained from force usage, and changing the very heavy object's momentum and reverse it.. Looked cool to me.

More Yoda battle scenes next movie!

The city in the raging sea was cool - the huge rough seas, with that dude flying on the back of that cool ray creature out from a huge swell and up toward the city was sweeet!

Was cool to see Fett fights and Boba Fett char develop also.

The actor who played anakin almost destroyed it, unfort. I hope he's not in the next one (nor in any other movie I see).

Not really keen to go see it again on the big screen, but glad to see it once there.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-
Beer. More Beer.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Jun 11, 2002 12:53 pm

What I won't do for my friends... last weekend I spent my hard-earned money on this lousy flick, while I pretty much knew it was going to suck.

And boy did it! For the love of god, anyone who still thinks Star Wars is the coolest series of movies around needs a head check. Part 4 and 5 were decent, but from there on they got more inane and childish with every installment. Surprisingly enough, this is correlated to George Lucas' involvement in these movies. Maybe he should stay away from these films - they might still be worth watching.

Ok, here is what sucks about this particular one!

The plot! What's up with this separatist - federation stuff? Do you need to watch this movie 3x in order to make any sense of it? The jedi find out about these clones, who are copies of Jango Fett, and they are shocked and against it. Then a bit later there's this droid army owned by count Doofus, who has Fett working for him, and these guys fight the Fett clones?! And what's up with the attempts on Padme's life? Why? What about the senate? The whole plot sucked. Why is Anakin whining about his mommy when he had every chance to go see her but he didn't?

The actors! In episode 1 they cast this irritating little boy as Anakin, but they bested themselves and found someone even more irritating! Wow, there goes everyone's image of Darth Vader. He's actually just a sniveling, whining, frustrated punk. And Samuel Jackson is SO miscast, I can't think of another movie that has such a bad instance of it. "This party's over!" - did they think he's still in Pulp Fiction?

The names! Count Dooku? Mace Windu? Padme? Jar Jar? Give me a break, that is so pathetic. It seemed the 14 year old who sat behind enjoyed it though *roll*.

The credibility! Do you honestly believe me so dumb as to believe that Padme is a senator? Ok, ok, so this should be critique about part 1, but it's still silly. She's a teenage girl for crying out loud. And she represents a whole planet? *roll*. Oh well, at least she's not the queen, senator and military tactician-in-one that she was in the previous episode, and she's not rapelling from walls now either. But still... And that crap where Anakin jumps out of his ship, free falls for minutes on end and still manages to land on exactly the ship he plans? Right.

The 'love' story! Why is it that 99% of the directors think their movies need this, cramming totally unbelievable love plots down the viewers' throats? The whole first half of the movie is nothing but an attempt at sentiment and melodrama. How sad. If Lucas believes that I didn't see through Padme's 'love' for Anakin, he's beyond silly. He's as repugnant as they come and she only loves him because Lucas penned it in the script.

Joda talk! Come on, can this gnat only speak camp language? "Around the survivers, a perimeter create!" and other nonsense. Someone give this guy a course on how to correctly phrase a sentence? This was _so_ irritating.

Add to this that Lucas doesn't give a crap about anything besides making money. How many releases of the 2nd trilogy have we seen? Director's cut, boxset, THX boxset, newly rendered CGI boxset, blah blah boxset - talk about milking your cash cow. Yeah, that adds to your credibility.

The only redeeming thing it had was Natalie Portman. And she's not even THAT hot, so that says a lot about what I think of the rest of this darn childish movie.

Cherzra.

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”