Of all the ignorant crap...

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Zellin
Sojourner

Of all the ignorant crap...

Postby Zellin » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:54 am

Overheard today in a grocery store:

Woman: "Give me three pounds of your freshest red snapper...You know, I thought I heard the other day that they're going to stop catching red snapper, because it's becoming endangered."

Clerk: "Yeah, um, I'm not sure, I think I hear something like that too from my sister."

Woman: "Well then, I'd better be buying a whole bunch of it before they stop catching it, because I just love it!"

WTF!?!?!?!? Did this sort of conversation happen before the Bald Eagle was added to the endangered list?

"Jeez, Clem, I hear they're gonna make us stop eatin' bald eagle meat, you reckon we oughtta go kill a whole bunch of em to stock up before it becomes endangered?"

I had such a difficult time keeping my mouth shut, but, in retrospect, why did I keep my mouth shut?

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:01 am

I know I haven't ever learned how to keep my mouth shut. For example:

My friend and I rented the movie 'Legend of Drunken Master'. We got over to his house and found out the tape was really bad quality. There was no sound half of the time.

We brought it back and talked to the guy at the counter, he took the video and put a free rental on my friends account. We then immediately went and got another copy of 'Legend of Drunken Master' because we didn't finish it last time and it's a good film.

Approaching the counter, the guy scans in the video, then my friend's card, and says that he has a free rental on his account and asks if he wants to use it. I immediately blurt out, 'Maybe you should save it incase you need it later?' We end up using the free rental, and I make jokes about how he could have saved the free rental and it would accumulate interest, on the ride home. Perhaps after 2 to 3 years, that movie rental would accumulate enough interest to rent a second film? I couldn't fathom what advantage there was to be gained by holding off on using the free rental.

------------------
-Yayaril
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Jun 13, 2002 11:39 am

Yes yay, although it was pretty ignorant of the clerk, which they have a horribly high percentage of doing, maybe a person who doesnt have money all the time for entertainment type activities such as renting movies and the such would like to save their free movie when they dont have the money since they do have the money at the time...

I am guilty of run-on sentances a bad grammar...

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:56 pm

Went into Blockbuster last weekend to rent a movie. Wanted to rent Boiler Room. Granted, never been in this BB before. However, they asked me my name, address, home phone, where did I get my card, how long I've had it, what other BB's I use it at, and several other questions. So I politely told the clerk that unless she was gonna frisk me, she had all the info she needed and to hurry the hell up. I didn't have the time. She then gets on the phone and calls the blockbuster I normally use, right up the freaking road, to do a check on my account, then asked for my drivers license for verification. I've had that blockbuster card for 7 years mind you, and never EVER had this kind of problem with it before in probably 15 different stores across the east coast.

They usually only ask me, ever been here before? I say no. They do their little thing in the computer and that's it.

I love the fact that my card is so old. I get these 16 yr old clerks who say, I've never seen a card like this before, WOW, must be old.

Duh.

------------------
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:49 pm

As a former Blockbuster employee I, Izizimmez, can say that the CSR you encountered...was dumb. Image

I usually didn't even ask if they had ever been to my store before. If you scan the card it looks it up on the national database if your account number has a different store code than the one you're at. _Maybe_ it had something to do with your old card. Tell me, did they have computers back in your day? Image

------------------
Tog Vicious
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:00 pm

Yeah, they had the computers. I got the card like the week after BB went to the using one card anywhere in the nation. Before that, you could only use the card at local stores.

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:23 pm

People just never cease to amaze me. Then again I'm usually amazed if I can remember my name, my address, or where I put my keys.

Don't you know that things that are forbidden (i.e. eating endangered animals) makes it that much better? In a few years, kids are going to be eating red snapper just to piss their parents off. That'll be their way of rebelling. Forget the pink mohawk. Forget the ungodly amount of metal coming from their cranium. Eating endangered animals. You heard it here first, folks.

I'm quite the trend setter.

- Grungar "Red snappa, very tasty!" Forgefire
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:31 pm

Point them towards langostinos, which are really hard to get inland anymore. One of my favorite seafoods, but I'm just not that brave.

Mmmmmmm, langostinos seasoned with lemon, butter, and various contaminants.
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B>
- Grungar "Red snappa, very tasty!" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like I'm gonna have to change my Wheel of Fish now. *mutter*

Cal

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Calinth:
<B> Looks like I'm gonna have to change my Wheel of Fish now. *mutter*

Cal</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YAY! Someone got my allusion!

Langostino = little lobster?

- Grungar "Mi langosta se llama Pinchy" Forgefire

Edit: Stupid things that disappear between the <<>>s.

[This message has been edited by Grungar (edited 06-13-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:50 pm

Umm, correct me if im wrong.. but the fish she bought was in a store.. and it was dead.. and she likes that particular type of fish. So umm, what harm is she doing by stocking up on it if the fish is already dead? If its really endangered (anyone know?) then whatever federal agency that handles that shit will cut it off. At that point it wont be at the store, dead, and ready to be eaten.

I think the ignorant shit here is someone who just looks for any opportunity to feel morally superior to someone else. Stop listening to other people's conversations or something Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:52 pm

Hmmmmm, a red snapper- very tasty.

Now will you keep your red snapper or trade it for what's in the box!?

Trade it for what's in the box!

In the box... is... absolutely nothing! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!

------------------
-Yayaril
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:05 pm

http://www.ecoworld.org/Home/articles2.cfm?TID=217

I think he has a point. Once it's known that a species is endangered it takes some time to get it listed as an endangered species. Going into a frenzy of buying, thus driving up the demand, because it's believed that the chance to purchase might decline isn't exactly beneficial for the species, is it?

The passenger pigeon went through this. It was known that the passenger pigeon was declining, and the demand for it as a delicacy rose. No more passenger pigeon.
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Umm, correct me if im wrong.. but the fish she bought was in a store.. and it was dead.. and she likes that particular type of fish. So umm, what harm is she doing by stocking up on it if the fish is already dead? If its really endangered (anyone know?) then whatever federal agency that handles that shit will cut it off. At that point it wont be at the store, dead, and ready to be eaten.

I think the ignorant shit here is someone who just looks for any opportunity to feel morally superior to someone else. Stop listening to other people's conversations or something Image

Corth
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oo oo, flame time with Corth!

Dear Corth, how is thy post hypocritical? Let me count the ways...First off, it sounds to me as if you are attempting to feel morally superior to me for not feeling morally superior? Paradox...causing...aneurysm...

Secondly, how does one get to 1k+ posts without horning in on a few other people's conversations? You are practically a master of this Corth, and you never have anything pleasant to say.

Dead fish or not, there is still a moral implication here. Whether the rumor that this fish is actually going to be endangered or not is true, if you believe that it might be, then you *must* send a message to the people mass-harvesting this creature by *not* buying its dead flesh. Plain and simple. You don't go around stockpiling freezerloads of endangered (or soon to become endangered) animal meat just because it's already dead. It's wrong.

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:27 pm

You don't even know whether the fish is endangered or what... and yet you are calling people ignorant....

Its wrong to buy fish when the EPA or whatever agency regulates it decides that its wrong. In the meantime, all the propaganda groups, the environmentalists, the fishermen, they're all fighting about whether the fish is endangered. Who is anyone supposed to believe? Well its very apparent which biased party you are easily swayed by...

Its real simple, if the store is legally selling the fish, buy as much as you want or can afford. Nobody has any responsibility to take a moral stand, blah blah, etc etc, based upon unconfirmed information. Thats for *ignorant* people who don't understand that there are always two sides to an issue.

your self-righteous 'Of all the ignorant crap...' title to this thread, betrays your own ignorance since you can't even recognize that what the woman did was perfectly reasonable under the circumstances. *You* haven't even checked yet about the status of the snapper, and your sitting in front of a computer hooked up to the greatest informational resource known to mankind. How was this lady supposed to find out about it while standing in line at the supermarket?

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:41 pm

I believe, Corth, if you go back and read my second post, I addressed every single one of those points.

It does not matter if the information is verified to be true or not. If you believe that it even might be true (as she obviously did, what with hoarding it and all) you do not act on it in that way.

------------------
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:52 pm

Tog vicious.

------------------
Tog Vicious
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 7:27 pm

It is a little known secret that the turtle is mother nature's suction cup.

- Grungar "Fly, Fifi, fly!" Forgefire
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:13 pm

Reasonable under the governments law, or reasonable in humanely protecting the species without waiting for laws to be made seems to be the disagreement here.

Yes, under the law, it's perfectly fine for these people to buy as much fish as they want. But like Ashiwi said, stocking up drives up demand, and increases the quantity caught which many see as inhumane/immoral (if that's the word for it). Therefore those who wish the species to survive, see it as wrong to do this since you're technically expiditing the process of extinction.

Personally, if I heard that something was heading for the endangered species list, I wouldn't buy it, even if I loved to eat it. I don't like taking part in killing off a species in any way.

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:29 pm

Good thing pizzas aren't on the endangered species list!

------------------
-Yayaril
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:48 pm

Hrmm...what if the tobacco plants all became endangered species? Guess I'd be S-O-L cause I'm too broke to be able to stockpile on cans of cheap rolling tobacco and packs of rolling papers :P

Never had red snapper, so I won't be endangering it.
Now shark, thats good eatin! *RAR*

Kallinar sends you sprawling with a powerful MOO!
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:51 pm

You meat eaters are all savages lavishing in gluttony at the expense of life, be it one of a million, or the last one, a life is a life.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:55 am

Customer: "you have digital cameras?"
Me: "yes, in our store across the street."
customer: "you dont have any here?"
me: "no, they're in our digital store across the street"
customer: "what about the small digital cameras, you dont have them here?"
me: "all digital is across the street".

*30 second pause as customer looks at me with blank stare....*

customer: "ok so it's all across the street?"

i dont care how smart you are, how many degrees you have or how much money you make. either you have common sense, or you dont. it's not something that can be taught.

kid: " i want some binoculars to see the moon with"
me: "how much power you after?"
kid: "i dunno, i just wanna see the moon"
me "you can see the moon just fine without them"
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:40 am

boycott all comercial fish except alaskan samon, they at least dont have their heads in their asses up there and are maintaining fish population befor the bottom line
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:26 pm

Don't eat any fish. They smell funny. Boycott all fish until they improve their smell.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>You meat eaters are all savages lavishing in gluttony at the expense of life, be it one of a million, or the last one, a life is a life.

and this is bad because?

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:47 pm

Well now, as much of a tree hugger as I am, I still can't agree with vegans. Humans are omnivores, after all. If you're really into natural order, you have to give in to the fact that animals eat other animals. The problem that I have with humans and eating meat is the amount of meat we consume. It's ridiculous and unnecessary. Hell, I eat way too much meat in a week. (Hard to cut back, like smoking?) So eat meat, but eat a whole lot less of it! (Including me, *slap* Zellin)

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Jun 14, 2002 4:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rausrh:
Don't eat any fish. They smell funny. Boycott all fish until they improve their smell.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rausrh, you're my hero.

- Grungar "Down with fish! Up with Glade Plug-Ins!" Forgefire

P.S. Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have a Fish scented Glade Plug-In? You could take it to someone's house, someone that you don't especially like, and switch their mountain spring plug-in for rotting garbage or fish... Hmmm....
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:25 am

i go to grocery stores at 3:30 am and urinate on the fish. its a hobby. it seems to satisfy my urges, helping me not play sojourn anymore.

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

One, I don't know who in the hell you are.
Two, I don't CARE who in the hell you are.
This isn't personal.
THIS IS A GAME.

Erevan
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:01 am

Maybe if you urinate on the meat too, it'll quell your urge to post complaints about roleplay on a game you don't play anymore Image

- Ragorn

------------------
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:28 am

Endangered species suck.. if they weren't so weak they wouldn't be endangered.. kill off the weak so the strong can survive! Life feeds on Life. Feeds on Life, Feeds on Life, THIS IS NECESSARY! THIS IS NECESSARY! LIFE FEEDS ON LIIIIIIIIIFFEE!
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:00 am

And these are the cries of the carrots...

- Grungar "Can I get an amen?" Forgefire
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:06 am

I am starting a petition to have people support dumping toxic waste on third world people who can't pay the "Don't dump toxic waste on us" tax.

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

One, I don't know who in the hell you are.
Two, I don't CARE who in the hell you are.
This isn't personal.
THIS IS A GAME.

Erevan
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zellin:
<B>Secondly, how does one get to 1k+ posts without horning in on a few other people's conversations? You are practically a master of this Corth, and you never have anything pleasant to say.

*peer*

------------------
Dartan group-says 'why do I own so hard'
You whisper 'why do you own so hard?' to Dartan.
Dartan tells you 'I ask myself that every day.'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”