Definition of Agility & Dexterity?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Nokie
Sojourner

Definition of Agility & Dexterity?

Postby Nokie » Thu Mar 08, 2001 3:56 pm

There is talk about all stats being important or possibly the meaning of some changing.
I don't suppose we could get someone to quickly explain the differences between Dexterity and Agility? I was never quite sure what the differences were and which of the two were more important for stealthy-type stuff, armor class, etc?

Thanks,
Nokie Quickfingers!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 08, 2001 4:01 pm

Agility is your quickness, e.g. trolls are very agile whereas ogres are a slow big fat strong oxen. Example of what it affects: AC.

Dexterity is the (hand-eye) coordination, e.g. a halfling is very dextrous whereas a dwarf much less so. Example of what it affects: dual wield.

You don't necessarily have to be agile to be dextrous or the other way around, although it does help a bit.
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Thu Mar 08, 2001 6:24 pm

Dexterity was an often overlooked stat. I noticed it affects almost everything, from bash, double attack, kick, rescue, etc.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:32 pm

The way I look at it is agility affects how you move. It gives you a better chance to dodge and higher AC. Dextarity is how well you handle weapons. It affects things like backstab, parry ripost and maybe shield punch bash, kick, and shield block, It probably also factors in with ranged weapons. Oh almost forgot, The lower your dex the better chance you have of fummbling! I have a sorc once with such horrible dex that he couldent hold onto his weapon for an entire fight. (I rerolled him cause it was just rediculous)
vense
Sojourner

Postby vense » Fri Mar 09, 2001 7:35 am

Dwarves in Forgotten Realms are actually quite dexterous. They aren't as dexterous as halflings, but they are more dexterous than humans. (I think dwarves generally have good strength, constitution, wisdom, and dexterity, but poor intelligence and charisma.)
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Mar 10, 2001 1:13 am

Vense, where are you getting that? Looking through the sourcebooks I have lying around, most dwarves have dexterity equal to or worse than humans, the exception being derro (derro, NOT duergar. Yes, there is a difference =p).
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:22 am

Vense et al:

From the Dwarf, Faerunian listing in the Monsterous Manual 3rd Ed and from the 3rd Ed Monsterous Manual Proper.

For those with listed stats (the others are based on these):
Shield Dwarves have normal dex (10)
Duergar have normal dex (10)
Gold Dwarves get -2 dex
Artic Dwarves get -2 dex

Derro, who are not pure dwarves, have a bonus, but their about it.
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:30 am

I also heard that dex affected the amount that your proc weapon proc'd... I doubt it's true, but can anyone clarify?

As to dwarves and their dexterity, it would seem to me that they would have good dexterity, because they're craftsmen. Being able to bang out some mithril armor or a strong axe would require damn good hand-eye coordination, and almost all dwarves craft stuff.

If they're dex is worse than humans, then why can't humans make spiffy super-spanky stuff?
Glaman
Sojourner

Postby Glaman » Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:35 am

dexterity is the ability to move and use your body.
agility is how well and how fast your body moves.

someone that is both dexterous and agile can do many more things then someone that is just dexterous or just agile. i cant think of a good example of them right off the top of my head.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:44 am

Selias, dwarves being excellent craftsmen has more to do with the fact that they'll spend months, years, or sometimes even decades on a small detail of an object. Basically, work is how they have fun and they live long enough to have practiced a lot and spend that time. Enough practice and their stubby little fingers aren't much of a problem anymore =p
vense
Sojourner

Postby vense » Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:54 am

From the Toril/Sojourn help file on dwarves.
vense
Sojourner

Postby vense » Sat Mar 10, 2001 4:02 am

Treladian, the help file on the mountain dwarf race from Duris follows:

---------------------------------------------
"MOUNTAIN DWARF" MOUNTAIN DWARF

Preferring to dwell in fortresses built into huge mountain ranges, mountain dwarves are a mining race known for their fine craftmanship
of weapons and armor. They are good-natured, sturdy, fearsome warriors who possess, due to extremely dense muscle and bone structure, high endurance. Stronger but clumsier than humans, mountain dwarves tend to live to be hundreds of years old and often acquire great wisdom with their age. This accumulation of intense wisdom frequently induces many of this race to beomce mentors later in life. Mountain dwarves are born with natural infravision, which allows them to maneuver quite skillfully in the dark. They are well
respected among most of the other races, and often trade among the general colonies. Mountain dwarves hold a deep abhorrence for the races of the Underdark, particularly their evil cousins, the gray dwarves, more commonly known as duergar.

Mountain dwarf class list: Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, Thief, Mercenary.

Mountain stats: Dwarves are stronger and hardier than humans, and somewhat more dextrous, but tend to be less intelligent and agile.

Mountain dwarf innate abilities: infravision, strength

See also: RACES, DUERGAR, INNATE, INFRAVISION
---------------------------------------------

I hope the formatting isn't too screwy.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:45 pm

Vense, yeah, that's from the mud help files. I know about dwarves getting some dex bonus on the mud, but you mentioned Forgotten Realms dwarves which aren't more dextrous than humans. The Sojourn races don't use the standard D&D racial rules and instead use variants thereof that make the amount and effect of modifiers to stats more extreme, which don't always work well in such cases like elven rangers and warriors that are MUCH more viable in D&D than they are on the mud.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:30 pm

The help files are often outdated. For instance, they said Dwarves could be conjurers when Sojourn died, even though they couldn't.

On Toril agility affected AC and rescue. On Duris it affected spell casting fumble too.

On Toril dexterity affected backstab, pick lock, steal, max items carried, and weapon fumble. Dex for a warrior never seemed to affect much besides fumble and max items carried.

I'd guess they affected more but I would just be speculating.

Hey Nokie, is Mplor still your "right hand man"?
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Sat Mar 10, 2001 3:33 pm

Oh yeah, how could I forget. Dizahk always said that agility on Toril was important for casters so they fall to earthquakes. And Dizahk knew how to play a caster, that's for sure.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sat Mar 10, 2001 8:47 pm

What you say !

So I was hoping for an official response so we could know once and for all what the differences are. Or perhaps at least something stating that the helpfiles will be accurate enough to explain the differences.

All your base are belong to us

Nokie "Somoene set up us the bomb" Quickfingers!

[This message has been edited by Nokie (edited 03-10-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Mar 10, 2001 10:53 pm

You have no chance to survive make your time.

Bwahaha! I love that stuff!
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Mar 10, 2001 11:28 pm

Heh, I've actually seen the game the intro was taken from. Yes, it really is translated that horribly =p
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 5:04 am

For great justice... move zig *cackle*

-Mori "You know what you doing"
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:04 am

Might as well post a link to the actual intro of the game . . .

http://www.toaplan.com/zerowing/zerowing_story.html

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”