Think Different

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:04 am

Eilorn - thank you for posting your experience with the various operating systems, as well as your likes and dislikes of each operating system. At least your post shows you are versed on all sides. I notice you did not post any dislikes regards to Linux - is it that good, or did you just run short on the post? While I have no desire to play on the mac, I do have red hat 7.2 as well as mandrake, and am building a pair of machines to run them side by side so i can learn first hand just what it can do.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:26 am

single menu bar at top of screen

I can't count the number of times I got tricked bby that thing. You close all the windows in a program, then start trying to give the finder commands... only nothing works since you are still running that program you were before. At least on windows the start menu is _always_ the start menu.

application layer hiding (hides an application and all its windows)

Windows does this as well... it almost has to since all windows must be contained within a single master window. Minimize that and you've just done application layer hiding...

applescript

Bleh. I can see it's good points, but I always had trouble getting it to do what I needed it to.

file type(TEXT, MSWD, WPC3, etc) (meaning: .txt, .doc, .wp, etc.)

Try opening a text file that doesn't have a file type though. It pretty much won't let you until you open it up with resedit and give it a type. With windows you can try to open anything in any way that you want with just a couple clicks.

Things I don't like about the mac

You should add the lack of true multitasking to this list. It's lovely when a program just won't let go of your processor, so you can't do anything but sit and stare at the screen while you wait for it to finish. If you've ever worked with Installer VISE you know what I'm talking about...

<i>Things I hate on the pc

MDI programs</i>

Err... I don't understand? Pretty much every program on a mac is an MDI application, so why do you hate them on windows?

<i>At work I've had to do reinstalls of windows versions about 4 times,
at home, on my wife's machine, I've done about maybe 15, with data
loss about 4 times(she still has problems doing backups more than
quarterly, but, she's getting better). I've had to do 1 linux reinstall
when I had a simm go bad in the middle of an upgrade, and it corrupted
the disk. I've had 1 disk go bad on my mac, with loss of data, and
probably 4-5 reinstalls of MacOS (I currently keep a compressed archive
of my system folder, on another drive, so I can come right back up
if need be.) I've had more reinstalls of OS at work, which is where
I came up with that trick(developers can corrupt the FS/OS a *LOT* more
easily than ordinary users :-).</i>

There was a week or two where I had to reinstall OS9 every day at work until I repartitioned the drives and reinstalled OSX and OS9.1 with different drive sizes.

<i>I'm about to buy MacOSX, I'll then have the best of Mac and Unix at
my beck and call :-).</i>

Although in a lot of ways I can see where OSX made improvements over 9.1, I still prefer 9.1. I just don't like OSX... heh.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:51 am

I don't use Linux, much, as a desktop machine. The gui(s) aren't as mature as win/mac. So that'd be my major peave, that and no unified method of setting prefs, though, that's getting better, also. Generally I telnet in and edit files, using the machine mainly as a server. The exceptions are: my mp3 player is ZINF, available on Linux and Windows, and JBuilder. JBuilder is my current favorite jave dev environment. I'm looking for a good mud client for Linux, but, haven't found one I like, yet. What I'd REALLY like is a fast displaying client that scripted with perl, and could assign macros to keystrokes using all 4 modifier keys(alt/window/control/shift).

Eilorn.

------------------
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>single menu bar at top of screen

I can't count the number of times I got tricked bby that thing. You close all the windows in a program, then start trying to give the finder commands... only nothing works since you are still running that program you were before. At least on windows the start menu is _always_ the start menu.</B>

Don't understand this, cmd-Q should have quit the program, giving you the opportunity for disposition of each window... and clicking on the desktop should have taken you to the finder... the Apple Menu is always the Apple Menu, though programs may add to it, most don't take away from it.

<B>application layer hiding (hides an application and all its windows)

Windows does this as well... it almost has to since all windows must be contained within a single master window. Minimize that and you've just done application layer hiding...</B>

Maybe that's my usage bias... some programs I use(Visual Studio, JBuilder) do do it this way, however, Internet Explorer, Outlook, and GVim, and whatever the program that controls the folders (Mac it's called Finder, not Windows Explorer, don't use that folder manipulator) all seem to have separate processes for each window, so you need to close each individually.

<B>file type(TEXT, MSWD, WPC3, etc) (meaning: .txt, .doc, .wp, etc.)

Try opening a text file that doesn't have a file type though. It pretty much won't let you until you open it up with resedit and give it a type. With windows you can try to open anything in any way that you want with just a couple clicks.</B>

Ditto the mac: make a shortcut, on the desktop, to the program, then drag and drop the file on the shortcut. Or, if you have the program running, drag and drop the file on the program's icon in the tearoff process menu (upper right corner menu).

<B>Things I don't like about the mac

You should add the lack of true multitasking to this list. It's lovely when a program just won't let go of your processor, so you can't do anything but sit and stare at the screen while you wait for it to finish. If you've ever worked with Installer VISE you know what I'm talking about...</B>

Nod, that can be annoying, but, well behaved mac programs are good neighbors and give time to other programs. Image

<B><I>Things I hate on the pc

MDI programs</I>

Err... I don't understand? Pretty much every program on a mac is an MDI application, so why do you hate them on windows?</B>

Maybe I mis-understand what MDI programs are: they have a master window, in which all windows of that program, are content panes: nothing can extend outside of the boundaries of the parent window. Visual Studio, I think, used to be rigidly this way, but, now you can have *some* of the content panes floaters(stack trace, memory display, for sure), independent of the parent frame. Can't remember if the source pane can be a floater, though. For the most part (I can't think of any exceptions) each window of a mac program can be placed anywhere on the desktop, independent of any other window of that program.

<B><I>At work I've had to do reinstalls of windows versions about 4 times,
at home, on my wife's machine, I've done about maybe 15, with data
loss about 4 times(she still has problems doing backups more than
quarterly, but, she's getting better). I've had to do 1 linux reinstall
when I had a simm go bad in the middle of an upgrade, and it corrupted
the disk. I've had 1 disk go bad on my mac, with loss of data, and
probably 4-5 reinstalls of MacOS (I currently keep a compressed archive
of my system folder, on another drive, so I can come right back up
if need be.) I've had more reinstalls of OS at work, which is where
I came up with that trick(developers can corrupt the FS/OS a *LOT* more
easily than ordinary users :-).</I>

There was a week or two where I had to reinstall OS9 every day at work until I repartitioned the drives and reinstalled OSX and OS9.1 with different drive sizes.

<I>I'm about to buy MacOSX, I'll then have the best of Mac and Unix at
my beck and call :-).</I>

Although in a lot of ways I can see where OSX made improvements over 9.1, I still prefer 9.1. I just don't like OSX... heh.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eilorn.

------------------
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

[This message has been edited by Eilorn (edited 06-30-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Eilorn (edited 06-30-2002).]
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:27 am

Eilorn:

Use tf but find the config files posted somewhere around here by Nokie et al.

It turns tf from a nominally okay system into an awesome MUD platform for Linux--I now prefer it to any other I've tried, use it on MacOS X, and ZMud drives me batty :-)

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:03 am

To answer a question from Nekler I think, from a while ago:

1. I am using XP.
2. I have the new Detonator 4 drivers.
3. I have DirectX 8.1b, it came with NWN.
4. I can't afford a new video card Image

Funny story, I was in CompUSA back home yesterday, and I crashed the new iMac in less than 15 seconds. I opened some program and tried to flip windows using the toolbar before it loaded fully. It displayed an error with a number that looked similar to a hex address and the mouse cursor disappeared (except when over the small error window). Irrelevant, but I laughed out loud Image

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:15 am

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3597287.htm

laying off workers (no matter how you try to gloss over it - if they don't want to give numbers, then they are worried about people seeing what is going on)

15 weeks worth of inventory sitting in warehouses . . . yeah, thats a healthy sign of a thriving business. Is this the cache of machines that Elseenas is trying to pawn off on the world?

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:22 am

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/3589725.htm

interesting article about apple's method of handling competition. lauded by mac lovers.
i don't see how mac lovers overlook the hypocrisy of this situation :P

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:39 am

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-940585.html

hehehe, linux servers invulnerable . . . hehehe.

for the record, the apache folks seem to have mad skillz, and this isn't their fault :P 5 years with one exploit - it just happened to be nasty :P

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”