whut do you think?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Turxx
Sojourner

whut do you think?

Postby Turxx » Sun May 19, 2002 10:21 pm

doing exp i killed the navigator on the smugglers ship, naturally the key was looted by a group member who in turn gave it to me tho i realy didnt notice. goodie group doing gcd ask me for the key. now those who know me know how i feel about goodies, so i dropped the key into the water forcing them to kill for it as when navigator popped he have the key agian. they insist i was wrong and broke rule #6. i say as i did not in any way impede the completion of the quest i did not break the rule, i petitioned and the gods who told me tho they would have prefered i dropped key onto the ground, no harm no foul. now i am not about to "help" a goodie group with a quest, so i did whut i did, slowing the quest a couple mins while they waited for pop.
6. QUEST ABUSE WILL NOT BE ALLOWED NOR TOLERATED.
It's pretty sad we have to add this, but some people are greedy
and mean. Anyone caught:
1. hoarding items needed for quests for no acceptable reason
(If you grab items needed to do a quest, you'd better do
it immediately or risk deletion.)
2. selling items needed for quests that have no real eq value
3. stealing items needed for quests from mobs with the intention
of selling or giving them away
4. "twinking" quests by gathering up needed items and "hiding"
or renting with them
5. "twinking" any quest related mob or item to prevent people
from completing a part of or a full quest. This includes
killing the mob while people are in the zone trying to do
the quest. You'd better shout first.
6. preventing a quest load by sitting on the MUD with a quest
item that you are not actively using. If you are not using
the item, RENT IT.

i think as all i really did was make them kill for the key, it was the right thing to do, roleplay aside. whut do you think?

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 05-19-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 20, 2002 7:21 am

"roleplay aside", your a prick.

but from an RP perspective I can understand doing that as long as you told them OOC that the key would pop on the navigator again. Some people don't realize that.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Mon May 20, 2002 9:02 am

for the record, they did know and they got their gcd
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon May 20, 2002 9:49 am

your justified and i think its good RP since the key repops quickly.

if the key didn't pop, i dunno. if you never RP'd and pulled this shit id say your an ass and probably violating the spirit of the RP rules if not the letter of the law.

had you wanted to keep the key, i think you could've justified it simply by saying you want to do it later. however, not a wise thing to do cause the underlying intent is obvious.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Mon May 20, 2002 9:50 am

moot point since they got the gcd .. but Turxx is a sweetheart .. always goes out of his way to help new people ... i know him .. he didn't do this to be a jackass or anything .. he did what he thought was right ...

-my 2 coppers

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-
Kybrell
Sojourner

Postby Kybrell » Mon May 20, 2002 11:59 am

Well I think in a RP respect he did what he should. I personally know that I have tried to quest that silly dagger 100 million times only to find that it couldn't be completed because someone had twinked one of the keys. And most of the time it's a goodie group down there exping when it happens ehhe. (Not intentionally pointing fingers just stating a fact)
Regardless it prolly could be considered "dinkish" (new word of the day!)but he's a troll! What else do you expect?
*pet turxx*
TTFN
Kybs
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon May 20, 2002 1:17 pm

I'd say in RP it was fine, out of RP it wasn't the nicest thing, but it was the second nicest. It may have come off as prickish, and I'm sure that's how it was initially taken, but once it popped and they drove on, it was likely near forgotten.

Question, Was it telled/say'd in an RP format, or did you just duckpond it out of hand? Communication can help or hurt. If you RP'd it and they weren't RP'ing, at least you gave it the effort of doing the RP'ing.

Toplack

------------------
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Mon May 20, 2002 2:02 pm

yes, there was communication between us, they asked for the key and i told them i threw it in the ocean. they were well aware of the fact it would repop but continued to insist that whut i did was wrong.
i do role play my troll, he has an uneditted very sloppy story posted on the dk story board that i may someday edit and post here. he hates goodies, palidorks esp. and the reasoning for that is very clear in his story.
there are any number of things i could have done with that key, and seeing as there is NO WAY i was just going to give it to them. i let them get it on their own.

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 05-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 05-20-2002).]
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue May 21, 2002 1:37 am

Yeah Turxx is such a sweetheart and is quite an excelent Role player:

Let's look at one of his finer moments:

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000286.html

Nothing to see here, move along...

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue May 21, 2002 2:04 am

Without knowing you, I would say you're a prick, considering RP is pretty much emotes and says and tells and not actual actions. However, I do not know you. Anyway, at what point does one cross the line? I stole their mob, cuz they're evil scum! I jacked their coins, they're evil scum! I didn't help them CR, they're evil scum!

. . .

People play this game. Not goodies or evils. People. I try to be courteous to them, regardless of which side they play. RP follows somewhere after common decency.. at least for me.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

[This message has been edited by Jurdex (edited 05-20-2002).]
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue May 21, 2002 4:53 am

Heh.. yeah Turxx like to make it a little rough for goodies any way he can... beware.. Image

I personaly don't think that was a good move and I certainly wouldn't have done that... but at the same time he was entitled to that key because he killed the mob for it first. He could have just kept it and then you wouldn't even be getting a gcd that day. So what he did was rude yes.. but not as rude as it could have been.. and he was aware of what he was doing fully when he dropped it in the water. I would also like to say that Turxx is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.. if you are evil. My 2 cents as requested. Image

-Jaz
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Tue May 21, 2002 10:28 pm

Me thinks that it would be alot nicer to duckpond it than to lie and say that i am doing the quest. As long as the other group knows that it will repop again, i don't see what the arguement is for waiting a little bit longer to do the quest. Of course it would be nicer just to drop it, but so what..wait a few more min and earn it. Either way, i wouldn't get worked up bout it.

------------------
Aram the novice paly
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Tue May 21, 2002 10:30 pm

you know i fail to understand how whut i did was so bad. so i didnt just hand the key over, i did do the next best thing and in doing so made it possible for them to finish their quest. turxx is so mean*whaa* wtf?!?
get over it, i have nothing personal against any players here, but if you are a goodie bet i dont like your char.
next time maybe ill just keep the key.

-Turxx Krush Skul, Dickhead troll

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 05-21-2002).]
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue May 21, 2002 11:21 pm

I knew it. God's you saw it. Dornax is abusing the evils. you should oc him and prevent him from grouping w/ goodies anymore as punishment. And he flame me by calling me evil scum. I'm not evil ;(.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Tue May 21, 2002 11:47 pm

Hrmm..I think thats probably the second lamest thing i've seen on here..the first being:

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000286.html

as Nokie pointed out.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 21, 2002 11:54 pm

I always used to tell people that Roleplaying ended when it got to the point where it angered people.

Lord knows I'd never discourage someone from roleplaying, in fact I heartily encourage it. But you have to realize that you can't be a jackass to people under the guise of "my character is an ass." What you did in this case was more acceptable than dropping the key in Faang or giving it to a random mob they'd never find. However, I hope you aren't under the impression that any of the people involved care about your reasons or your roleplay.

It's unfortunate at times, but Sojourn is first and foremost a hack and slash game. Roleplayers are generally enjoyed by most and tolerated by some, provided they don't interfere with the gameplay. It's a lesson I learned the hard way many times over when I was a more avid RP'er, take it or leave it. Very few people will make the distinction between "Turxx the character hates goodies" and "Turxx the player is an ass who dropped our key in the water instead of giving it to us."

- Ragorn
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed May 22, 2002 1:23 pm

While I see your point Ragorn, the only distinction I would make is the "our key" part, if he had the key, it was his until he chose not to use it, and even then it was his choice what to do with it.

If the group were of the same race align, and he decided to do the same thing, its still his choice.

Yes, They would've thought it was nicer if he gave it to them, but since they were able to complete the quest without having to do more than they would've if he hadn't been there in the first place, I'd say no biggie.

I do agree that RP'ing is encouraged, and that we need to be mindful of our actions and those behind the keyboards. Goes back to courtesy, but it was/is his choice what to do with the key in this given situation.

Toplack

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 22, 2002 2:48 pm

guise of rp...

umm turxx is one of the most consistent dudes i know. he always an absolute fucking asshole if your a goody, but he also spends more time than anyone i know helping low level evils out. hes quite a character, the fact he went from level 47 to level 43 is quite a testament heh.

anyhow, roll a level 1 troll and see how long it takes before you get a tell from him. he has walked up to ghore and walked low level trolls back to dk more times than i care to guess, each trip prolly taking around 45 minutes. how many of you send level 1 dwarves tells and go up to MH to get them (and thats a safe walk)?

there are people who "RP" to be assholes and loot whores, but its not turxx. that should be obvious.

oh and the "our" key comment is ridiculous. first come first serve last time i checked. but some of us think our priorities are > than others. some of us think eq > people. id rather play with turxx as a goody than play with anyone who thinks that i have "their" key.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 05-22-2002).]
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Wed May 22, 2002 3:52 pm

Hell no i'm not giving some damn goodie group anything. In sojourn 2 the goodies coulda got in trouble for accepting or asking for evil's help. How dare some goodie ask an evil for something. May all goodies be impaled upon spikes for their goodieness. Role playing aside.... Still, expecting someone to help you, is screwed up. Noone has to help anyone. They do it out of kindness. If someone decides not to help you, you should not get mad. They have their reasons. They don't have to tell you their reasons. People who expect help or demand it should get stomped. If i help someone, it's because I want to, not because I have to. And if there was some rule saying "YOU HAVE TO DO THIS" I would break it and expect them to delete me immediately. Then I would roll another character and BREAK IT AGAIN. If they banned me, I would change my ip address and DO IT AGAIN. Sorry, that's how I feel. I have helped lots of people in this mud, and alot of people have helped me. BUT IF YOU DEMAND IT #$$#@!#$ YOU!!!!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 22, 2002 4:24 pm

::big sigh::

Once again, this really isn't a goodie vs. evil issue, why are people so damned determined to turn it into one? He picked up a quest item which should have been dropped since he wasn't going to do it, because his holding onto it prevented anybody else from doing the quest that boot. I'm just guessing that he knows the quest, and if he did, the proper thing to do would have been to just drop the key.

He did do the next best thing, which was to pond the key so it would respawn. They weren't "demanding" his help. They asked Turxx for the key, he initially would not give it up, which meant the quest would have remained undoable for that boot, and then he ponded it. I can guarantee that if the situation had been reversed, almost all of the people I know would have taken the key to him with an apology for accidentally holding on to it.

Stop trying to turn this into a goodie/evil issue when it isn't.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed May 22, 2002 4:30 pm

If it was me I would have kept it, and twinked it the next 5 boots or so, so they would have had to wait a real long time to do it. Your going soft Turxx.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Wed May 22, 2002 4:44 pm

/agree Zraxx
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Wed May 22, 2002 4:45 pm

*QUOTE*
Once again, this really isn't a goodie vs. evil issue, why are people so damned determined to turn it into one?
*END*

It is a goodie issue when some gnome asks a troll for help. COME ON.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Wed May 22, 2002 6:37 pm

I've helped CR evils several times this wipe. Not easy CRs either. I RP an extreme dislike for evil PCs, but as I said before (and Ragorn said better) you should recognize the difference between RP and common decency.

Turxx, to your credit, you did at least allow the quest to be completed, which you did not have to.

*shrug*

I don't see why people can't treat other people fairly.

Oh and to all the RP goodie hating evils, I've probably sold eq to or traded eq with you this wipe. :P

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Wed May 22, 2002 11:28 pm

Well i recently encountered Turxx on the pirate ship (last night) and it was fine, there are enough mobs for 2 groups to be on the ship, at first there was some shouting between turxx/myrranth in a sort of rp way.. and most of the time we were razzing each other over tells about who got the most mobs and stuff like that.. now if either of us grabbed a bunch of nukers to try to drive the others out i think that would have been messed up and i would have said something to him about that.. but i don't really think of anything we exchanged as RP because of the things said, "like you only got 5 kills :P " this is more like a friendly rivalry more than anything.. If it was RP we would have said things like, "Troll you had better watch yourself lest we slay these vile pirates and my blade finds your flesh" or some such :P or even "watch out troll, these pirates have almost had enough, your next" (i don't think that you have to speak in a medieval dialect for it to RP although i think it sounds better" and i occasionaly RP but i never togg it on because im not rping 75% of the time... Anyway.. i don't really consider Turxx's comments to be RP but more of friendly(in some cases not so friendly) rivalry just because of the types of things he says.. which i don't really have a problem with unless he does things ingame that affect things.. (such as brings a group of 15 to slaughter the ship to drive others out) or if he had kept the key i would definetly think that was in violation of rule #6.. hoarding a piece of worthless equipment with no intention of doing the quest when someone else tells you that they need it to finish it... the way he did it wasn't the nicest, i probably would have just handed it to them, i don't think this situation would have any need to include RP if you were pure RP then you should be killing the goodies (ok, so since this isn't possible given the game wont let you, you could atleast refer to ppl by their race rather than just goodie Image it just doesn't look like RP to me but more like the "I don't want to help someone on the opposite side, and i want to do what i can to screw them up w/o getting in trouble"

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Wed May 22, 2002 11:54 pm

Mishre,

Two words. "Enter-key" and "Punctuation” Image

If you are going to say a lot to us, and not read your own posts before you submit them, please write it so we can read it?

I’d like to know your opinions, but I can’t stop getting headaches every time I try and read one of your posts. You do realize your last post was effectively saying everything in one breath/thought? Oof!

I honestly would like to know what your thinking and saying, but I just can’t read thru your words. I stopped reading Caz’s posts because of similar problems with his posts.

------------------
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Wed May 22, 2002 11:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mishre:
<B>Well i recently encountered Turxx on the pirate ship (last night) and it was fine, there are enough mobs for 2 groups to be on the ship, at first there was some shouting between turxx/myrranth in a sort of rp way.. and most of the time we were razzing each other over tells about who got the most mobs and stuff like that.. now if either of us grabbed a bunch of nukers to try to drive the others out i think that would have been messed up and i would have said something to him about that.. but i don't really think of anything we exchanged as RP because of the things said, "like you only got 5 kills :P " this is more like a friendly rivalry more than anything.. If it was RP we would have said things like, "Troll you had better watch yourself lest we slay these vile pirates and my blade finds your flesh" or some such :P or even "watch out troll, these pirates have almost had enough, your next" (i don't think that you have to speak in a medieval dialect for it to RP although i think it sounds better" and i occasionaly RP but i never togg it on because im not rping 75% of the time... Anyway.. i don't really consider Turxx's comments to be RP but more of friendly(in some cases not so friendly) rivalry just because of the types of things he says.. which i don't really have a problem with unless he does things ingame that affect things.. (such as brings a group of 15 to slaughter the ship to drive others out) or if he had kept the key i would definetly think that was in violation of rule #6.. hoarding a piece of worthless equipment with no intention of doing the quest when someone else tells you that they need it to finish it... the way he did it wasn't the nicest, i probably would have just handed it to them, i don't think this situation would have any need to include RP if you were pure RP then you should be killing the goodies (ok, so since this isn't possible given the game wont let you, you could atleast refer to ppl by their race rather than just goodie Image it just doesn't look like RP to me but more like the "I don't want to help someone on the opposite side, and i want to do what i can to screw them up w/o getting in trouble"

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh, ok, first off i have had 15 member ship groups to drive the others off. i think thats fun even ir it does defeat the purpose of being on the ship.
second off talkin in a midevil fasion is unnatural, i talk in a natural form but 99% i say things that I THINK my char as a troll would or should, dont say it isnt rp because im using common slang terms. if i were to try to talk like a troll most people wouldnt understand a thing i was saying.
third off goodie is a sort of general refrence to all goodies, i dont always want to check race class or sex befor i talk to someone, although i do refer to humans as heumaughns.
forth off seeing as direct assault is forbidden, i do try to do whutever i can (within the rules of the game) to mess with the opposite side as i cannot just kill a goodie, so i punch them, mock them, spit in their faces and anything else i can think of to make their life a little harder and a little less pleasant. i am told to remember it is a person on the other side of the screen, i tell you to remember this is a game and there are two side, good and evil, i am evil and will do evil things. who are you or anyone else to tell me i dont roleplay right? i have my own oppinion of rp and troll behavior, and my opinion is no less or more right than yours.
fifth off i like you post here and my response is in no way intended as a flame.
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Thu May 23, 2002 12:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Turxx:
<B> huh, ok, first off i have had 15 member ship groups to drive the others off. i think thats fun even ir it does defeat the purpose of being on the ship.
second off talkin in a midevil fasion is unnatural, i talk in a natural form but 99% i say things that I THINK my char as a troll would or should, dont say it isnt rp because im using common slang terms. if i were to try to talk like a troll most people wouldnt understand a thing i was saying.
third off goodie is a sort of general refrence to all goodies, i dont always want to check race class or sex befor i talk to someone, although i do refer to humans as heumaughns.
forth off seeing as direct assault is forbidden, i do try to do whutever i can (within the rules of the game) to mess with the opposite side as i cannot just kill a goodie, so i punch them, mock them, spit in their faces and anything else i can think of to make their life a little harder and a little less pleasant. i am told to remember it is a person on the other side of the screen, i tell you to remember this is a game and there are two side, good and evil, i am evil and will do evil things. who are you or anyone else to tell me i dont roleplay right? i have my own oppinion of rp and troll behavior, and my opinion is no less or more right than yours.
fifth off i like you post here and my response is in no way intended as a flame.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

15 man ship??? You high or just clueless? Image
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu May 23, 2002 4:54 pm

Neither, he stated he was doing it to be obnoxious. I've seen "good" raced people do it too, and not just to drive off people of the other race alignments. Yes its somewhat self defeating.

Is the matter of this post really worth all this ire on both sides?

Toplack

------------------
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Thu May 23, 2002 5:06 pm

Being obnoxious is every persons right. Not liking someone and not helping them is also everyones right. Not helping someone cause you think they suck is also everyones right. Duck ponding awesome weapons is everyones right. I dunno about duck ponding quest items. I was reading the rules, and I can't find an exact reference to this exact question. Have any gods commented on this?

Can a goodie, paladin/ranger, ask a troll to drop a key that is quest related, and does a troll have to do it, or can they duck pond it as turxx did.

I know that I can drop my bag of pbone in the inn and pick it up with my paladin, truck it up to WD and sell it. It's a chance I take by dropping the item, since I cannot consent him to hand him the gear.
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Thu May 23, 2002 6:41 pm

read the first post, i did petition and ask about whut i did, they said theyd have rather i dropped the key onto the ground, but no harm no foul.
i posted this to see whut others thought
not that it really matters, id do it again

[This message has been edited by Turxx (edited 05-23-2002).]
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Thu May 23, 2002 7:03 pm

Aye I would do it too, unless it was a good friend. Even if it was a good friend I might do it just to be RP. But my real question.

Let me use another quest item, just to see.

say, i see a brain mole sitting along the road. if i shieldpunch it, shatter its skull, get the brain mole pelt, walk up to the duck pond out there near wd, wait for some newp caster to walk by just to duckpond it. am i in trouble?
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Thu May 23, 2002 7:10 pm

good question, id like the answere to that too, i know you shouldnt be as your loot should be yours to do with however and whyever you choose.
whut say the gods?
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Fri May 24, 2002 8:29 am

Lick, lick! Turxx, what are you doin? Ha Bah.
I agree 100% with the Turxx, the key did repop! no harm done! Oh and another thing? Why bring up logs from the past that may seem negative to some peeps, thats not very nice! You all should bring up nice things to say also! Betcha there more descent things to say about Turxx!! I got one!

In the early days of the lost little troll Grp! I remember when a big troll came to my aid for no reason at all! He rescued me from my home town of Ghore and aided me all the way to the Elf town! Turxx was patient for I was just a baby troll, and hardly even knew how to speak, My tongue was slow!! I did not know where I was, and that these mean ass lizard men would kill me... Alot! Patient! he was! Turxx asked me not to ask him for help again, cause i need to learn the way out! Indeed I never did! I learned my way and I too have aided little trolls now! Id like to thank Turxx for intoducing me to the attitude of alot of evil players, I vowed to also be this way!

If I would not of left Ghore, I prolly woulda given up on Grp, I was having a tuff time there Image Turxx was kinda like my Yoda back then! I always wanted to hang around with him but I was to young! Then he vanished for ever! and now hes back!!! And I am one happy troll, even if it is just to see his name on the who list!

Grp...
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Turxx:
<B>good question, id like the answere to that too, i know you shouldnt be as your loot should be yours to do with however and whyever you choose.
whut say the gods?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. hoarding items needed for quests for no acceptable reason
(If you grab items needed to do a quest, you'd better do
it immediately or risk deletion.)
2. selling items needed for quests that have no real eq value
3. stealing items needed for quests from mobs with the intention
of selling or giving them away
4. "twinking" quests by gathering up needed items and "hiding"
or renting with them
5. "twinking" any quest related mob or item to prevent people
from completing a part of or a full quest. This includes
killing the mob while people are in the zone trying to do
the quest. You'd better shout first.
6. preventing a quest load by sitting on the MUD with a quest
item that you are not actively using. If you are not using
the item, RENT IT.

you posted these, I think it would be a violations of at least two of these rules
remember it's not always the letter of the law but rather the spirit of the law, it would take way too much time to spell every little thing out for everyone.

[This message has been edited by Deltin (edited 07-09-2002).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”