'offensive' room descs

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Jormundgaand
Sojourner

\'offensive\' room descs

Postby Jormundgaand » Wed Jul 03, 2002 7:45 pm

Do people take offense at the word 'bitch' when used in the FR reference of the Bitch Queen, Umberlee?

The reason I'm asking is that I have a mob at a shrine in my zone who's description I was asked to change. It currently displays 'a priest kneels before the altar of the Bitch Queen'. According to a higher god, players nag about words like this enough as is. I really don't feel like changing it, as it's obviously not meant in any other way than as a reference to the common populace's name for Umberlee and I don't how anyone could take it as being demeaning to women.

Opinions?
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:04 pm

Well..

Baikalisan's title is "bitch" in drow Image

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:25 pm

While I think it is great that the Staff fosters a family atmosphere (I applaud that) this game is very adult in many ways. (lot of killing, violence)

A lot of things in the fantasy realm could be deemed offensive to a lot of people, however I don't think people would submerge themselves in such an fantasy if they didn't like it.

I would say, keep it the way it is. Don't modify stylistic or artistic content because of potential-social-"moral" pressure.

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:25 pm

I would think that anybody who gets offended by a word which is not being used offensively at them or one of their friends, but rather at a fictional character has something wrong with them in the first place. If that is what she is refered to, then keep it as is.

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:45 pm

that isn't true. ashiwi threw a fit about my using the word 'bitch' and everyone seemed to think i was a bad person for saying that word. now someone else is talking about the word, and it is supposed to mean something different?

What happened to the cries of offense that the word 'bitch' demoralizes all women?

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:07 pm

In the context of the Forgotten Realms, Umberlee's title is The Bitch Queen. It has been published all across north america, and perhaps beyond that.

If I remember the post Daz, you were using the term Bitch to refer to all women, and therefore being derogatory in conventional language. I understand that in the slang you use in your circles it isn't, but you were including all circles with your comment.

Publishing a zone with an altar or shrine to the Bitch Queen Umberlee should be acceptable, imho.

Sylvos
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:14 pm

And I wasn't the first to respond to that post, but if you'd like to continue to use me in this manner I'm flattered.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:19 pm

Definitely stick with 'bitch.' The game talks about heads rolling off, slashing people in two, crushing someone's skull in, etc. If someone is _that_ hellbent on complaining about the word bitch, when it's in it's known text as a character, too damned bad - heh.

------------------
The watch sez: Time to kill!
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Thu Jul 04, 2002 2:22 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>Well..

Baikalisan's title is "bitch" in drow Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya know some ppl just dont know when to shaddup!!!!

just for the record my title no longer states that, BUT if it would fit with my last name your damn straight it would be there, cuz it fits me..

ask anybody

------------------
Baikalisan Terrorforge- Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:20 am

No, my title did NOT refer to all women in general. That is merely how Ashiwi chose to interpret my student. "Bitch" is often a title, either imposed upon or claimed by a certain class of women, usually related to their attitude.

My ex-roommate calls herself a 'bitch' - proudly. She says it means to her that she doesn't take shit from anyone. A girl I hang out with calls herself a 'bitch' - she says she uses it because its cool. She likes to party, follow import drivers around, get drunk, and shake her ass at a party. YOU chose to define 'bitch' as an insult to all women, taking it upon yourself to speak for the entire female gender. YOU chose to select the deragatory definition and usage of the word over all others. I'm not going to write the next sentence.

------------------

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:22 am

A woman once told me what *she* thought bitch stood for:

Babe
In
Total
Control of
Her life

Basically her point was if you're meek and don't know what you want, you don't get called that. But if you're assertive and go for it, you get called that all the time... think about it.

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 07-03-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>No, my post did NOT refer to all women in general. That is merely how Ashiwi chose to interpret my post. "Bitch" is often a title, either imposed upon or claimed by a certain class of women, usually related to their attitude.

My ex-roommate calls herself a 'bitch' - proudly. She says it means to her that she doesn't take shit from anyone. A girl I hang out with calls herself a 'bitch' - she says she uses it because its cool. She likes to party, follow import drivers around, get drunk, and shake her ass at a party. YOU chose to define 'bitch' as an insult to all women, taking it upon yourself to speak for the entire female gender. YOU chose to select the deragatory definition and usage of the word over all others. I'm not going to write the next sentence.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:29 am

oops, heh this is what i get for trying to read 3 threads and post a comment at once :P

stupid multitasking

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jul 04, 2002 4:45 am

Awwww, ain't that sweet? Daz has a crush on me.

The link Daz is referring to since he loves referring to me...
http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001540.html

I have absolutely no problem with the term "Bitch Queen," especially not used in the context it's used in.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:36 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
<B>A woman once told me what *she* thought bitch stood for:

Babe
In
Total
Control of
Her life</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't that make her a bitchl?

------------------
-Yayaril
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:49 pm

Daz let it go this topic has nothing to do with that one

Keep it! Nothin wrong with Bitch Queen ... in fact many *evil* women consider it a honor to be called bitch (aint that right baibai .. its me n u all the way !!!)

------------------
Ambar -= Momma Jen =- Crimson Coalition
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:21 am

I like bitch, bitch is good.. i like to bitch.. and i myself am a lil bitch... (nods) Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:24 am

Mishre - you ever sit around bitching about bitches and bitching?

------------------
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ambar:
<B>Daz let it go this topic has nothing to do with that one

Keep it! Nothin wrong with Bitch Queen ... in fact many *evil* women consider it a honor to be called bitch (aint that right baibai .. its me n u all the way !!!)

damn skippy

------------------
Baikalisan Terrorforge- Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Fri Jul 05, 2002 1:07 pm

i say its perfect, dont change a thing
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:39 pm

Even the FCC is calming down about "adult language" these days. I don't know anybody who would be even close to offended by bitch. Oh.. this conversation reminds me of that episode of southpark not too far back where they just said "shit" the whole episode. That was funny stuff just cuz of the shock value of using a word previously banned from cable television because a few people (probably mormons *whistle*) are offended by that kind of vulgarity.

I see nothing wrong with the word bitch.. or any word for that matter. After all.. words are just a way of animating our language a little bit. People that say only uneducated people use "vulgar language" I would have to call uneducated myself. Damn what a rant there...
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:48 pm

Did you just call me a bitch?

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Jul 09, 2002 7:08 pm

Why would anyone complain about a female dog?

/Disoputlip
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:06 am

In honor of Ensis, I think it should be Bish.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed Jul 10, 2002 4:19 am

Oooh, hear that Ensis? Salen just called you a bish. You gonna take that from an elf?

- Grungar 'Falling like rain into her schemes' Forgefire

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”