How about some limit on the # of topic a player can write in

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Blung
Sojourner

How about some limit on the # of topic a player can write in

Postby Blung » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:10 pm

Some people just like to post every topics there is in the world or that person really want some attention or think it's cool to fill up most of the forum with their name.

My question is should there be some limit to the number of thread you can start each day/week and/or # of responses per day/week. That way even if there is a heated debate, it doesn't get way out of hand and the staff does not need to spend a lot of time monitoring the bbs.

My 2 cents.

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:35 pm

I was under the impression that this board was here so that we can talk outside of the mud, etc... So, limiting the number of posts would really hinder somebody that has a number of things they would like to discuss. If I want to talk about prostitution one minute, write a post about it, then think of a tangent while writing that post, i think i should be able to also discuss that.

I think we need to calm down with the Stalin act around here.

------------------
"Kill them all, God will know his own." -Domingo de Guzman, A.K.A Saint Dominic

[This message has been edited by Kifle (edited 08-23-2002).]
Eilorn
Sojourner

Postby Eilorn » Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:21 am

I don't think it's so much a Stalin act, as one to improve the signal to noise ratio. Inside the mud you can't shout for-sale stuff more than once every three minutes, for this very reason. If people were limited to, say, 35 posts per week, maybe it would cut down on all the single line "Me Too!" posts.

Eilorn.

------------------
Now, we can do this the hard way, or... well, actually there's just the hard way.
-- Buffy, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:29 am

me too!

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:49 am

Not worth the headache. General Discussion is sort of intended for that kind of thign anyways. =)

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Marix
Sojourner

Postby Marix » Sat Aug 24, 2002 5:55 am

The problem with limiting the number of posts a person can write is that it won't help anything...people will just make multiple accounts to get around it and you end up with the same number of posts anyway...or you'll end up with long posts that take too much time to read.

Just my opinion...

------------------
Marix - Cleric
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:54 am

i disagree with limiting the number of posts. Its like restraining all of us because a few of us don't restrain themselves.

I think the situations of gross lack of restraint, are better handled as present with benevolent monarchs deleting posts and banning users.

As for just making new accounts ect... just because you can create as many accounts as you want right now, doesn't mean you will be able to in the future.

As for signal to noise ratio there are some forums that allow users to rate posts. Some of these also have personal settings for filters which will block posts.

An idea for easing administration might be adding a "report this post as flame/rule violation" link.

Another idea might be allowing anyone who registered more than a rolling 6 months ago and 250 posts mark a post for "non-display." If a post receives 3 marks a message stating it will not be displayed as well as a list of folks that marked it as so. If someone tries to abuse the system, the accounts can be deleted and they will have to either have prepared numerous accounts 6 months ago or wait 6 months. How many of you can stay mad for 6 months...

Peer/self regulation may be prone to a more heated polarized community, but it takes the onus off the gods and the stalin/gestapo talk. It also accomplishes what many of you appear to want, a community composed solely of like minded people.

or simply nuke the discussion portions of the bbs and let independents host it as was the case before.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Wuva
Sojourner

Postby Wuva » Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:36 am

I vote no limit. I for one enjoy reading the bbs, it doesnt matter the number of topics that are on the board by one single person, prime example one person in particular has 7 front page topics, and I have enjoyed reading them, learning from them, and I fully support the writer behind them. At times we may start a discussion and it may not get any responses or very few, but we have the freedom to voice our ideas, our passions, and our visions for the viewing party of sojourn. I applaud this.

------------------
Wuva *Wildchild* EagleBlade
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:41 pm

*nods*
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and should be able to express them freely. After all, isn't one of the major ideals that this country was founded on? Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Aug 26, 2002 12:17 am

No limit.

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Restricting people to talking a certain amount is silly. You have the power to skip threads, and you have the ability to read the poster's name first and skip the post if you want to filter by poster. Limiting how much people can talk is a bad idea.

------------------
- Ragorn
Jenera says 'i managed to match a little, ragorn's outfit is hideous.'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”