So much for security

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

So much for security

Postby Daz » Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:42 am

Heh, all the talk about how MS is full of flaws, and linux is flawless amuses me greatly, but this list amuses me even more.

http://online.securityfocus.com/bid/5363

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:52 am

I love linux, I use it for personal stuff, but I usually advise against using it in the work place for a few reasons one of which is security.

While Linux is far less exploited than Microsoft products, its a function of image and politics rather than technology. There have been some major Linux security issues, and Unix before that. The difference is Linux and Unix is championed by the gurus and Microsoft is villified. Tell me which model is more inherently prone to hacking.

1. open source software where every line of code is available to view and you can easily compile a custom version

2. closed source code produced by a company for profit that has some liability for its product.

It really doesn't get any easier than when you are given the blue print. Well except when your sys admin leaves himself logged in all night and uses the password "iamgod."

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:31 am

I have tried making that argument to Linuxnuts for a long time, but they SWEAR that Linux is more secure because there are more people actively protecting it. It is annoying, because - like Mac-Users, they refuse to acknowledge any other view on the subject that does not glorify their own. bah.

------------------
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:15 pm

so that we can ensure we're all on the same page: this is a security flaw within the open source implementation of secure sockets layer. The alert has nothing to do with Linux, save of course that the Apache web server software can be run on Linux/Unix/Windows/MacOSX.

The problem is resolved by applying update patches, or averted by recompiling app so that it will not send "Apache" as the server type.

I don't think I saw any posts in previous threads that said the linux platform is flawless, just that fixes and patches for this platform happen quicker than they occur on the MS platform.

This alert is damning to the open source platform in which way?

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:51 pm

None whatsoever, it just makes the 'ignorant masses' rephrase their 'our product is perfect, yours sucks' stance.

------------------
Innova
Sojourner

Postby Innova » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:13 pm

Most Open source enthusiasts I know don't say that Linux/Apache/whatever is perfect. They just say the open source model is better for developing quality software. Is there a fix for this bug already? Yes. Most bugs are fixed within hours of discovery on an open source project. How long does it take Microsoft to patch their software?

------------------
http://bucklemke.com
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:57 pm

MS Vice President: "Our Products are not engineered for security"

The motto of this worm is you have to install your patches. Do you want a head-to-head of security flaws in the OS? I'm more than willing to provide.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Sep 17, 2002 1:45 pm

OOoh Ooooh I Do! I Do!

------------------
Rausrh licks you.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”