Chinese Moon Festival

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Kolma2
Sojourner

Chinese Moon Festival

Postby Kolma2 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:25 am

This past Sat 9/21 was Chinese Moon Festival. Anybody know what's it about? The history? I heard its the Chinese "Thanksgiving" equivalent. Just curious.

Sumba/Kolma
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:52 am

All I know is that we eat mooncake on that day. If it's like thanksgiving as in the meal, no I never had a big meal or an important one on that day.

------------------

[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:32 am

If I recall (and don't have the day confused), it goes back to the revolution where the citizens coordinated themselves by passing messages baked into these mooncakes.

Now they still celebrate the occassion but have eggs instead of the messages.

Thats the uber-short reader's digest version Image
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:59 am

searched the net but still couldn't find what i was told when i was a kid.. this site offered some examples of why we celebrate this holiday.. omg mooncake with 4 egg yolks rock!

www.familyculture.com/holidays/augustmoonfest.htm

all i know is that there is a goddess who lives in the moon who fell in love with a guy who takes care of an ox(omg direct translation LOL).. the king of gods was mad because gods and human can't fell in love but allowed them to see each other on this one day. err something like that :P

[This message has been edited by Glarec (edited 09-23-2002).]
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:13 am

Some more holidays for you guys to research:
(uys help me with some of the translations Image)

Mid Autumn Festival (the topic of this thread) - 8/15 on the Lunar calendar.
Chinese Valentine - 7/7 on the Lunar calendar.
Chinese New Year - 1/1 on the Lunar calendar. Duh?
Yuan Xiao - 1/15 on the Lunar calendar. We eat dumpling, watch red lamps, and guess riddles for fun.
Qing Ming - 4/5? A day to pay respect to the deceased.
Duan Wu - 5/5 on the Lunar calendar. A day of rememberance to one of the great patriots in Chinese history. We eat sticky rice buns called zong zi.
Chong Yang - 9/9 on the Lunar calendar. We climb to high places and yodel Image
Chinese Halloween - 7/15 on the Lunar calendar. The day when the gates of hell opens and stays open for a month.

Some mystical figures to find out:
There's a beautiful lady living on the moon with a rabbit.
Know why the cat is not a chinese zodiac but a rat is?

Hmm i'll come up with more later Image

Yssilk
Linelai
Sojourner

Postby Linelai » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:33 pm

Glarec, I think the one you mentioned is the Chinese Valentine thing.
All I remember about the Mid-Autumn festival is that we eat mooncakes (as Dalar mentioned) and light paper/plastic lanterns and go out and play at night Image
That and there's the rabbit on the moon, and the guy that was punished to chop wood or something like that. Don't really remember the legend Image
Glarec
Sojourner

Postby Glarec » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:05 pm

nope.. definitely not chinese valentine :P

the story was related to as why there's a full moon on moon festival. Image

when i was living in hong kong.. we did more than light up the candles.. we.. sigh.. 'cook' them.. don't know why it's fun now.. but all there was to it was to get the lid of the mooncake pan.. set 4 'legs' to it. put a candle underneath it and light it up.. then just put candles on top and start 'cooking' it.. when it's full.. we just pour the liquid out and start over.. omg don't ask me why it was fun.. but feh everyone was doing it!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Linelai:
<B>Glarec, I think the one you mentioned is the Chinese Valentine thing.
All I remember about the Mid-Autumn festival is that we eat mooncakes (as Dalar mentioned) and light paper/plastic lanterns and go out and play at night Image
That and there's the rabbit on the moon, and the guy that was punished to chop wood or something like that. Don't really remember the legend Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:15 pm

http://www.earthcalendar.net/ is quite useful when looking for holidays - I've used it when doing some research for Shadowrun. http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/heritage/festivals/he_fest_mida.jhtml looks like it'd be a good resource as well.

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/77a.htm looks like the story of the cowherd and the seventh daughter of the emperor, I found the link by following earthcalendar's Chinese Valentine's Day link.

Chong Yang looks like Chung Yeung (http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/her ... chun.jhtml), another day to honour the dead.

Duan Wu would be the Dragon Boat Festival Day, since the link from earthcalendar says it's also called Double Fifth, and it honours Chu Yuan.

Yuan Xiao might be the Spring Lantern Festival (http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/her ... spri.jhtml) - but I'm confused now because it's mentioned as the Chinese Valentine's Day but it's different than the one on earthcalendar - which is hosted in the U.S. and I expect a web page about Hong Kong heritage knows better. :P

Ching Ming is apparently in the third month, and is a time to tend the ancestors' graves (http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/her ... chin.jhtml)

Yue Laan, the Hungry Ghost Festival, is discussed in http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/heritage/festivals/he_fest_hung.jhtml.

Being an outsider, and only being able to guess at the intricacies, all I can say is these links are the best I could do. I've likely missed things, and made some mistakes, but it does make for interesting reading. Image
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:33 pm

"Know why the cat is not a chinese zodiac but a rat is?"

Think it goes something like this . . .

The gods held a party for the 13 animals for a party they were having. It would be for one day and they stressed that the animals shouldn't be late. The rat, being a mischevious bastard, decided to play a trick on the cat and gave it the date after the party. So the other 12 animals went to the party and had a great time all day and night before leaving the next day. When the cat showed up, it was alone and quite dissappointed. I'm not sure where the transition between missing out on the party and not making it into the zodiac falls.

The sad thing is that I learned this from the opening of the anime series Fruits Basket last week. No one ever really told me this kind of stuff when I was growing up.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:04 pm

Well, it's about alot of damn good food (if you know Chinese people that own a really good restaurant!)

Ok, really. Here's the story told to me by my best friend who happens to be Chinese. So the source is legit. Image

A long long time ago, there was a very very mean emperor who wanted to live forever. So he sent his people out to find the special herb that would allow him life eternal.

Well his mistress decided that living forever is a very bad thing, so she stole his herb and by doing so, saved the people from this mean emperor.

This was the mistress's downfall. Once she took the herb, she was outcast from earth and she could never return. She was banished to the moon forever.

So legend says, that the Gods took pity on her. Once a year, on the night that has the brightest moon, the girl is allowed to visit Earth.

Basically, that's it!

Eli

Edit: There is supposed to be a rabbit standing next to the woman, but not sure how (if) they are related. Evidently, on this night, you are supposed to see the shadow of the woman and the rabbit.

[This message has been edited by Elisten (edited 09-24-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treladian:
<B>"Know why the cat is not a chinese zodiac but a rat is?"

Think it goes something like this . . .

The gods held a party for the 13 animals for a party they were having. It would be for one day and they stressed that the animals shouldn't be late. The rat, being a mischevious bastard, decided to play a trick on the cat and gave it the date after the party. So the other 12 animals went to the party and had a great time all day and night before leaving the next day. When the cat showed up, it was alone and quite dissappointed. I'm not sure where the transition between missing out on the party and not making it into the zodiac falls.

The sad thing is that I learned this from the opening of the anime series Fruits Basket last week. No one ever really told me this kind of stuff when I was growing up.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Legends vary.

I heard that there was a race. The dragon didn't come in first because he had to run an errand delivering rain somewhere (otherwise, hey, he can fly...)

The cat and rat were gonna be first, since they bribed the ox to take them. Well, the cat starts talking about his greatness and the rat decides to shove him into the mud. He is promptly trampled by the ox (who came in 2nd), and every subsequent animal in the race, (being right before the finish line), and winds up 13th.

Ever since then the cat has sought vengeance.

------------------
< > Shevarash responds to your petition with 'well, that was much better than yesterday! Spank power increasing!'
Linelai
Sojourner

Postby Linelai » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:37 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glarec:
<B>nope.. definitely not chinese valentine :P

the story was related to as why there's a full moon on moon festival. Image

Oh ok. Well, that just goes to show how much i know about my own culture! Image
Linelai
Sojourner

Postby Linelai » Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> Legends vary.

I heard that there was a race. The dragon didn't come in first because he had to run an errand delivering rain somewhere (otherwise, hey, he can fly...)

The cat and rat were gonna be first, since they bribed the ox to take them. Well, the cat starts talking about his greatness and the rat decides to shove him into the mud. He is promptly trampled by the ox (who came in 2nd), and every subsequent animal in the race, (being right before the finish line), and winds up 13th.

Ever since then the cat has sought vengeance.

Yeah, I heard this one too.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”