food for (American) thought

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
<B>The "you only use 10% of your brain" myth isn't necessarily true.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_028.html

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

[This message has been edited by Kiaransalee (edited 07-26-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So really the only thing you can be sure of it that you can't be sure of anything.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Nubah
Sojourner

Postby Nubah » Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:35 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to start anything... everyone has a right to their own opinion, I guess.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:51 pm

No need to apologize for starting a topic of conversation.. as you say, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Even people who see the word "religion" and hit they're "religion is for weak-minded people" macro without bothering to use their own strong mind to see in what context the word is being used.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:14 pm

I think it takes a stronger mind to be able to stick with your beliefs through all the misery the world can heap upon you, when it's a matter of pure faith against all logic, science, peer pressure, and your own doubts. It takes absolutely no strength of mind to stand on the sidelines and believe in nothing, and very little strength of character to lob taunts and jeers at those who do.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Jul 26, 2002 9:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kasula:
<B>Judaism, Christianity and Islam all actually believe in the same god... All of the religions builds upon the other. First was Judaism and the Torah. The Torah become the foundation for Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. The Christians believe in the new testament, the teaching of Jesus Christ(god's son). While Judaism and Islam also believe in Jesus Christ, but they believed that he was just a prophet. Islam began with the Death of Mohammed, another prophet. So actually, arguing on which religion is the best or the worst is a moot point since they all believe in the same GOD. Which actually goes to show that religion like everything else... has evolved through time. The early man worshipped the animals they ate and the elements in which they lived in. That evolved to the Egyptian, Sumerians and other ancient cultures which believed in first animals than in half animals-half man, than finally in all man. The gods they believed now controlled daily life like the elements, luck, life after death and etc. Religion moves on... More and more the gods began to resemble humans, with emotions and conflicts, battles of good and evil. The Greeks and Romans, Persians and so on, all believed in gods that were fully human and that had great powers but it was in a polytheistic form. Than came the Judian religion that believed in a monotheistic god. But of course the god of the Judian religion embodied most of the past religions. Than came Christian and Islam. Another fact i like to throw out, Nobody knows for sure when Christ was born but for a struggling religion to survive and complete with the other "pagan" religion it need to follow in some of its pagan traditions. Dec. 25th is the date because the pagans celebrated the winter solstice, so Christians follow them thinking it would be a easier transition. So in conclusion, Religion like anything else has evolved to the form it is now and will continue to evolve e.i. the new found individual spirituality, Orpah worshipping religion, and self-help books. All of it has one thing in common, Its crap! Religion is great FOR ME TO POOP ON!
Dont let me get started on Nationalism because thats just more crap upon crap.
If i offended some of you people, too bad deal with it, your a big boy/girl.

[This message has been edited by Kasula (edited 07-26-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

december 25th is a pagan holiday. christ, according to the bible - was born in late september, the 24th-27th, at about 630 in the evening. this is assuming that information regarding star positions and location from within the bible are true, etc.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:34 am

Would you all shut up?

------------------
Meatshield
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:49 am

meathead

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:16 am

meatballs?

------------------
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Kia:

"The "you only use 10% of your brain" myth isn't necessarily true.
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_028.html

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

Okay, I vowed to abstain posting on this topic, but been reading through everybody's links. Kia, your first link I liked. The second however kept interchanging the word "mind" with "brain"
I don't know how what others believe, but I am a firm believer that your mind is seperate from your brain.
Pretty much every human on earth has the same brain. It is made up of the same parts, with apporiximately the same number of neurons etc. All brains pretty much control the same functions in one individual as another. However, the mind is a different entity altogether.
A person's mind determines who they are, what they are interested in, how they think, and who knows what else?
It is possible that eventually scientists will be able to accurately and comprehensively explain what every single neuron in the brain is used for. I doubt they will ever be able to explain the mind though.
I believe that the mind is something different, it is almost a seperate part, it makes you what you are. No, it can't exist without the brain, but it is not the brain.
The truth of the matter is, we may be able to figure out everything that the brain does, but we will never understand the mind or even know what it is capable of.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sat Jul 27, 2002 1:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>meathead

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meathead....yeah I'm the meathead who has made this anti-American, anti-religion, anti-pot, anti-hookers, anti-rubberballs, anti-bikes, anti-whatever, etc. topic last for 5 pages now. Bottom line, I got sucked into this moronic discussion like you all did....hmm...I am a meathead. At least I can admit it. Let this thread go out to pasture. Or bring on 6 pages.

------------------
Meatshield
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:02 pm

vahok, if you dont want to read or post in this forum then you can simply choose not do so. What i'm curious about is why it concerns you so much if other people do so.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>vahok, if you dont want to read or post in this forum then you can simply choose not do so. What i'm curious about is why it concerns you so much if other people do so.

Corth

Thanks for the tip Corth. Never would have thought of that. I actually read these to gain some information, have a laugh, etc.
But when a thread goes off it's original course kinda bugs me. But unlike you, i don't feel the need to insult people.

------------------
Meatshield
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:00 pm

Yea, telling everyone who posts in this thread to 'shut up' isn't insulting. right?

But I'm glad that you explained why it bugs you so much when other people write things.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Dozam
Sojourner

Postby Dozam » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deltin:
<B> You are correct these problems are everywhere. Hhhmm the problems with legalize these things. I would hazard a guess if drugs where legal use would increase as would the gang activity of those who would still sell them and make less money doing it, but still would make a profit. Realistically there is no way to governmentally control pot. people would just grow it, no way to tax that.
Anyway is some areas needles are left all over from drug users, many of which contains the aids virus. Prostitution and drug use goes hand in hand. There are many many studies done on these things and the what ifs if they where legal. I personally don't believe that pot is a gate way drug, mostly it's illegal cause they wouldn't be able to tax it like beer and tabocco products.

[br]
Hrm. Why would people buy drugs on the street from gangs if it was legal? I haven't heard of a gang problem in Amsterdam some drugs are legal.

You can tax the drugs like they now tax alcohol and cigarettes. With the way it is now, it is easier for children to buy drugs than cigarettes.

Dozam
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dozam:
<B> [QUOTE]Hrm. Why would people buy drugs on the street from gangs if it was legal? I haven't heard of a gang problem in Amsterdam some drugs are legal.

You can tax the drugs like they now tax alcohol and cigarettes. With the way it is now, it is easier for children to buy drugs than cigarettes.

Dozam</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plain and simple, cost. Street dealers will still get whatever tax free. This happens all the time with cigarettes and alachol you just don't hear about it much, unless you live on the border of Canada or an Indian reservation. Again you can't compare Amsterdam with the US huge difference in population make up and number of people. If they where close to Cuba, Columbia, Mexico you might see a difference in Amsterdam but again you can't really compare the two.

------------------
So whad are we gonna do tonight Brain? Same thing we do everynight Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Dozam
Sojourner

Postby Dozam » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Deltin:
<B> Plain and simple, cost. Street dealers will still get whatever tax free. This happens all the time with cigarettes and alachol you just don't hear about it much, unless you live on the border of Canada or an Indian reservation. Again you can't compare Amsterdam with the US huge difference in population make up and number of people. If they where close to Cuba, Columbia, Mexico you might see a difference in Amsterdam but again you can't really compare the two.

True and a good point. Still you don't see the massive street crime in connection with the black market sale of tax free cigarettes and liquor. The devestaion caused by the drug cartels in the inner cities would be reduced by the decriminalization of some drugs, in my opinion. Not to mention the billions of dollars we waste fighting these drugs. The only way to stop drugs is to go the route of china and execute drug dealers....and even this has not reduced drug use entirely. Its a loosing battle.

Dozam
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dozam:
<B> True and a good point. Still you don't see the massive street crime in connection with the black market sale of tax free cigarettes and liquor. The devestaion caused by the drug cartels in the inner cities would be reduced by the decriminalization of some drugs, in my opinion. Not to mention the billions of dollars we waste fighting these drugs. The only way to stop drugs is to go the route of china and execute drug dealers....and even this has not reduced drug use entirely. Its a loosing battle.

Dozam</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have a very valid point, I think if you increased the price of drugs (which are now illegal) with taxes you'll see more people making stuff in their houses. It's a topic that will never be settled hehehe.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:13 pm

they wont make things in their house. in america we are lazy. we HATE growing our own pot. we would pay more for fancy little packaging and shiny ads and all kinds of additives, if only we could buy a joint when we get a roll of toilet paper.

not to mention the government could make sure shit wasn't laced with unwanted extra surprises. *cough*

everyone knows about tax free cigarettes and liquor. we don't give a shit. we pay extra so our friends can see how cool we are. we are cool for paying an extra 50 bucks for a tommy label on our pants. we are cool for slapping labels on our head. indian reservations are for, like, bingo.

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:40 pm

heh daz, you should meet these two brothers i used to room with in college. They're really into wilderness shit and living off the land. They grow their own weed and even grow their own ingredients to brew beer.

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun Jul 28, 2002 12:45 am

<B>Yea, telling everyone who posts in this thread to 'shut up' isn't insulting. right?

But I'm glad that you explained why it bugs you so much when other people write things.

Corth

Good point. I can see it being taken as insulting. It just bugs me because certain threads I avoid reading because of the content. For example, I've learned in life, not to argue religion, just isn't worth it. This thread was going at a nice contructive pace (in my opinion) and it got turned into a religious one (which I personally don't care for). Apologize to all. Rock on and continue Image

------------------
Meatshield
celara
Sojourner

Postby celara » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:40 pm

OMFG!!!
If you cannot say it 219 posts, it cannot be said.
Celara

------------------
Just as soon as I belong/Then its time I disappear
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
<B>Man, I wish I could live in Kasula's world where everyone could hug out their problems and there was no war.

Because, really, the proper responce to someone ramming three commuter aircraft into civilian buildings is to go "yeah, you got us good there! Let's talk about our feelings for each other and work something out."</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

OHMYGOD F**King LAugh out loud!

------------------
Leah A. W.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:47 am

if people 'avoid reading' these posts - how can they write in them to remind us they are avoiding them?

or is it like a hippie in camping in time square to protest society or something. ill never understand guys with long hair Image

------------------
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>if people 'avoid reading' these posts - how can they write in them to remind us they are avoiding them?

or is it like a hippie in camping in time square to protest society or something. ill never understand guys with long hair Image

Like I said Daz, i don't mind reading or responding to certain posts, but religion is one thing I don't read or respond to. Politics or pot or prostitutes I can read/respond to, but religion and certain other topics......nope. I find they just hurt my head to read. I think ya missed my point is all.

------------------
Meatshield
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:36 pm

i attempted to make a point for objective evil with my torturing of a baby; however, folk said it's not evil, cuz it's might be cultural. so if the afgan want to torture their woman, western culture should not condemn them because it is culture. evil is subjective, right?

i didn't want to get back into the christian is evil debate, so i wont. but i'm a christian and dang proud of it. yes i'm weak mind, have no self esteem, i depend on some unscientific mysticism to deal with everyday live. i figured out disagreeing with you is pointless so from now on, you are right and i am wrong.

gullible and stupid, sok
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:25 am

sok - if you are wrong and i am right, then you would be right, and i would be wrong, but then i would be right, and you would be wrong . . . my head hurts

------------------
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:42 pm

rrrriiigggghhhhhhttttttttt...
Grxx
Sojourner

Postby Grxx » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:47 pm

*has found his first dead horse and kicks it violently*
this is nothing less than a crock of shit, history is written by the victors and opinions are like assholes, everyone has got one.
lol, whut a joke, everyone knows the usa does some realy fckd up shit in the name of "the greater good"
people are stupid and every contry in the world is lead by people, there is nothing anyone can do, the world is going to hell in a handbasket, noone cares because to care would mean they would have to acknowledge that things are not right, how much easier it is to just turn a blind eye and live in "ignorant" bliss
weve all seen the "doomsday" predictions but life is good for you today and thats just fine. how much easier it is to just live your happy little life ignoring all the problems in the world that dont immediatly or directly affect ones own lifestyle or wellbeing.
we will continue to cut down trees by the hundreds of thousands for the needs of today
we will continue to drive or cars and fly our jets burning our fossil fuels
we will continue to manufacture "disposable" products for the sake of convinence
we will continue to dispose of these products in holes we dug in the earth burying them where they are "out of sight, out of mind"
we will continue to work diligently to destroy the natural bacterias, viruses and diseases that are here to prevent over population
we will continue to refuse to accept natural selection
we will continue to reproduce and consume at a rate the earth cannot sustain
we will continue to be convinced of our own supiriority and the righteousness
we will continue the way we always have, greedy, thoughtless, careless, wreckless...
we will never change and we will be our own end
the united states does some terrible things, heh, so whut, so does every other government in the world, life is good today in my little corner of the world, thats all that matters, to hell with tomorrow ill be dead by then, today, now thats whuts important, so long as im happy and content right now nothing else matters.
rofl, if the human race is going to survive, if we are to remain "civilized", we are going to have to start looking at the big picture, start thinking on a global scale
till then, on the short sighted front, war is good, there are too many people in the world anyhow and since we are never going to come up with a better way and will always do whut we can to defeat anything our mother nature will try to come up with to limit the population we might as well kill each other

*sighs*
people are stupid, short sighted, greedy, dangerous animals who are incapable of accepting the reality of anything, we see whut we want to see how we want to see it, we always have, we always will

[This message has been edited by Grxx (edited 10-04-2002).]
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:24 pm

rofl I think people are just trying to keep turxx's post down Image bury these dead horses before somebody revives the bastards again.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”