Unfortunate loss of funds.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Valke
Sojourner

Unfortunate loss of funds.

Postby Valke » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:37 am

Seems that throughout our lives we hear tales of people getting scammed out of their hard earned money, whether it be by another person or federal agencies, corporations, or "Joe the butcher". What you're about to read is one such tale...

Back in 1997 I was having problems controlling my expenditures through credits cards and checks from a local bank. After realizing the potential dangers of having bad credit, I then decided to correct it by paying off and closing all accounts, credits cards and debit cards. I did succeed in gathering my funds and paying off all my debt within 1 year, although one credit card took a little more time. It amazes me how much and how quickly they build up, and the funny thing is Visa never reported my delinquent payments, not a single time. Hell why not; they make more money that way. Hitting me with fees that seemed like new inventions to me troubled my proficiency in dealing with the problem. It took me so much longer to pay it off with new fees every month, fees for going over the limit, fees for not paying the monthly balance on time, fees for having a fee! The funny thing is that it didn't surprise me! After all, I was warned by everybody over the age of 18.

What did surprise me was one little bank in our little city! As soon as I opened an account with them my problems began... I started off talking to a lady about the account, and we opened a checking account. The lady then asked me if I cared to purchase these neat looking checks with pictures of scenery, and naturally, I said, "Sure!" Shen then proceded to write down the information and suggested I let the company withdraw the funds directly from my account! I said, "No way!" I had the money and payed for them that instant. Later to find out that the lady somehow allowed this company to withdraw the funds after I had already payed her for them. At the end of the month, this "little" mistake ended up costing me $180. Luckily, the bank felt somewhat responsible and decided to pay half of the full amount , which was $90. Fuck that! I then zeroed out my account and closed it.

I thought I'd try again, so I opened another account through Norwest. After all, I have been taking loans out through these people for years under the co-signature of my father. I felt I could trust them. Hahaha WRONG! This bank too felt it was funny to accidently over charge for fees, and tack on things that weren't ligit. Countless times I went into the bank and had to correct them of their mistakes. It's like they do them on purpose to see if you catch them or not! To see how stupid you really are, and what they can get away with next! Bastards!!! This bank was begging to get on my nerves, so once again, I payed all the overdraft shit and closed my account.

At this point in my life I am bankless and credit cardless! It was great! When I needed a loan my pops would co-sign for me. At least everything seemed fine and dandy...Well, one day I went in to cash a check I had received for doing repairs on a vehicle. The check was a Norwest check and a 2 party one, therefore I couldnt cash it at a local grocery store. I went up to the clerk and went through the ID prosess and the lady then told me, "I will have to hold out 68 dollars and some odd cents to pay for the charges on your account that were made in May of 97.'" What the hell? Norwest was haunting me again! Two years later, after I had closed out my account and made damn sure I payed everything that I had too, they were toying with me yet again! Lucky for me I went and talked to another lady that helped me through the situation. She had closed the account and taken care of/written off the 68 dollars, and I lived happily ever after...
Do you really think the story would end here? Throughout the next few years of my life, I have had this 68 dollars thrown in my face numerous times. It was never taken care of and I continued to argue and get my way out of it. One day I went to get a loan from the guy that has been serving my father, myself and his business for years when all of a sudden he brought up this 68 fukn dollars again! The loan made the 68 dollars look like a drop in the bucket, so I said fuck it and payed it, yet AGAIN so I could get the loan. I got the loan and Norwest swindled me out of more money! Bastards! But its not over yet!

Just this last summer I went in to cash a two party check at Norwest again and the 68 dollars was there haunting me! At this point I just laughed and the lady laughed also! She had remembered me from before and thismysterious 68 dollars, so I was able to cash it. Once AGAIN, the lady said she will get the problem taken care of! Come to find out-Just the other day I went into Norwest to cash a check and that 68 dollars was still poking at me and teasing me! I've finally come to the conclusion that it'll never leave, it's my loyal friend! I have payed for it 2 times and it's still there! I was told it will expire in May of 03. It has been reported to the credit peoples numerous times and because it has not been taken care of, it will be considred a loss to Norwest. Are banks intentionally doing this to squeeze extra money from people? I think Yes! The real question is - What can I do to put a stop to it?

Next thing; Today I was on the phone talking to an insurance agent about renewing my policy. Since I moved to a another state everything was well untill he mentioned that I had an accident on my record, along with 3 speeding tickets. The speeding tickets I was aware of, but the accident? I had no idea. You see three weaks ago I was going through a training process to sell vehicles through a high output dealership. I was excited and rearin to go when all of a sudden, they had to let me go because of my driving record. I was angry because I told them I had three speeding tickets and that was it. The boss mentioned that the tickets shouldn't hinder my employment if that is all that is on my record. Well unfortunatley, it wasn't all. Turns out my MVR was tainted by this so called accident that I had in the summer of 01. It is true I was involved in an accident, a hit and run. A man in a pickup had ran into me and taken off, so I chased him down and caught him and held up traffic. I tried to take his keys then was assaulted by the man. I tried to get him out of his car, but he wouldn't move, so I let him go. After the witnesses came to me and mentioned that they saw the whole thing, I hurried to a phone and called the police. The man got away with the hit and run, and I was threatened with a 4th degree burglary ("If you would of taken the keys out of the vehicle" blah blah). The cops nonsense never went anywhere, but I still felt like I was the one in trouble. Time passes.... I filed a claim against his insurance and received my payment for my vehicle 2 weeks later. Nothing ever happened to the real law breaker, hit and run -come on-it's ridiculous, Lucky for him, I guess he just slipped through the cracks... How this wound up on my record as my fault I'll probably never know, but it has and will cost me and continue to haunt me just like the $68! It's already costed me a job...Stress...probably more jobs...not to mention the fact that all of this just isn't right. Oh yeah, I can't forget to mention that it threw me on high risk too! Guess who wins this one?? Yeah, the fukn insurance company; I pay them more money for something I am innocent of! BULLSHIT!

Ok, enough ranting, what I wanna know is? Anyone out there have any clue how a person should go about putting an end to this kind of stuff?

Grp... Pillow fights Myconids.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:06 am

Find out about the Fair Credit Reporting Act. There are some provisions which give you the right to compel an investigation on the part of a bank and credit reporting agencies into a poor credit entry. I believe that you can also have a note placed on your credit report indicating that you contest the accuracy of the report and explaining why you feel that way. Also, you might want to find some nonprofit consumer rights organizations and run your story by them.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Croban/Owom
Sojourner

Postby Croban/Owom » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:22 am

Hate to say it but sounds like you are too nice. Being 6'10" and big I have certain advantages, but I never put up with shit anywhere I go.

If I goto a bank/store/restaurant and they have screwed up... they always ask you to step to the side while they take care of it. Screw that, I block the register and make sure they are losing money. Cost them money, make their lives hell, and stuff gets done. Never put up with crap.

I have a 5'0", 84 lb asian girlfriend who was so quiet and demure when we started dating. Now a year and half later, she doesn't put up with the crap people lay on her and gets stuff taken care of too. It's an attitude and a look they can see in your eyes. Also, always document, get names/dates, have stuff sent with signature verification, and when possible do it in person.

Another good story is when I got screwed over by my college. When I got involved in a dispute with a female RA who expected her "power" to shut me up. I took her down and wrote her up for being wrong and abusing power. She then accused me of threatening her life (which any big guy with a brain will tell you, is #1 thing used against us). So I literally went up four levels of command until I got people who had the power to listen and use true legal understanding to overturn the charge, get me out of trouble, got her fired and charged with filing a false report. She was subsequently expelled.

Stand up for yourself.

------------------
- Owom Spiritbear -
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:29 am

Woo! Another big man! Aren't little asian girls the best? Image I love em!

------------------
The wardens of the cage disallow all commands except say, petition, project and help
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Sat Oct 12, 2002 8:09 am

Oh my God! I'm sorry to hear about all that shit Valke Image That totally sux a$$ Image

I can't believe they can get away with that crap, but then again, I had an account with BB&T after they bought out One Valley, and it lasted about 2 months. I was still a student at the time and it was roundabout the time I turned 23 as well (lucky for me I still had my United account, which is now closed too! I found a place that has truly free checking, no min balance, atm deposits, online banking, all for FREE!). I had the "free" student checking and then a month later, I got hit with over $5 of monthly fees. I called and asked what that was about since I was still a student, and they said it's policy for them to charge EVERYONE over the age of 23, regardless of which account they had, monthly fees. I was at that bank in about 15 min pulling my money out.

Hit em where it hurts, like Owom said. Make em lose money! MAYBE they'll learn a lesson Image

------------------
Musi "Desperate to get ress" Ailis

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 12, 2002 9:11 am

Dissatisfaction from a customer is one thing, loud dissatisfaction is quite another. It's always worked for me to create a stink. You don't have to specifically ask for a manager, just loudly complain about what's happening. It's like manager catnip or something.
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:03 am

I do put my foot down, people like to tell me things are taken care of when they are not! I have stood up for my self more than a few times in my life, maybe a little too much, who knows? Anyways raising my voice in a public place not only humiliates people who probably had no control over it, raising my voice humiliates me in many ways. So, I tend to shy away from that approach. What I would like to do is make people aware of these companies, banks, ect. who try to rip people off, take advantage of them any chance they get. I like to spread the word of the bad relations that I have had, and ultimately! I would like to gain knowledge of weaknesses in these companies and hang them for what they have done.

As for being a "nice" (thats the kind way of putting it huh?) guy, I guess I am a little soft, its hard for me to hate or show hate toward a single person, even if it is just an act.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sat Oct 12, 2002 5:16 pm

Valke, talk to me in game. I'm familiar with banking rules, etc. (however, I'm Canadian, some rules could be different). Sounds like to me you got the big shaft....

------------------
Meatshield
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:17 pm

Sorry to hear about all these problems, go with Hibernia bank! Its good, My grandfather in the past has been president c.e.o., ect. when it was in termoils and downfalls, he was called upon to take it outta its rutt. I have had dinners with the current president a few times, and thaz where I keep my $. None of that matters much, but me and my grandmother both have had a few problems. Like my checks were supposed to have my name changed right from Jordon, to Jordan which is the RIGHT spelling, but it never got done, yet the guy told us it would, we asked more then 2-3 times, never got taken care of, go figure so we said fuck it :P Grandmother had a overdown acct. recently for no apparent reason, well the TELLER or whoever messed up and didn't transfer the funds, idiot human error. My grandmother could have bounced checks and such becuz of this persons incompotence it really sucks, my grandmother got on the phone right away as soon as she received this statement and got it taken care of. Shit happens.

Your problems seem more major then these, but problems do occur, just try to get them taken care of, and if not get to higher authorities and make sure it gets DONE.

Also friends in high places helps! woo

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'

[This message has been edited by Rokub (edited 10-12-2002).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”