Iraq . . . Decisions

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

America is the single greatest society that humanity has even produced. Hate us for it?
Fine. If you're not an American, you should follow our example, and become wealthy and enjoy living in a free society. If you're a self-hating American, you should wise up and realize just how well-off we really are.

[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heheh... I really should explain my initial statement, and my criteria. I still contend that America is the greatest country that humanity (homo sapiens) has ever created.

Will something better come along some day?
Maybe! Let's hope those liberal utopians figure out a way to deliver on some sort of Kafka-esque world, where humanity is pleasantly homogenized: a pudding with no theme. Image (5 points if you can name that reference!)

Does my statement mean that I think America has made NO MISTAKES and NO ERRORS in its past?

No. Every society makes mistakes. There is no perfect system. But some are better than others. Capitalism works because it takes a sometimes negative human capacity and redirects it for the better of everyone else.
I'm talking about self-interest. I want to have nice shoes, and I want my children (someday) to have nice shoes as well. Feet are important, and should be protected. I care less about other people's feet than my own, and my children's.

Sorry - I know some may call that rotten - but if forced to choose between getting great shoes for my kids, or paying for someone else's shoes, and THEN paying for slightly WORSE shoes from the remaining money for my children... well, my children come first. So sorry.

To achieve this end, I'm going to work. And work hard. Damn everyone else, my kids need shoes dammit! The ones with the little sparkly lights in the soles, you know...

So, I'm staying overtime here at the office. In fact, I need to hire two more people to help me.

Unbeknownst to me, in my cloud of self-interest, I've hired the parents of some of those less-well-off children (who also need shoes). Turns out they have the same interests as me - shoes!

So instead of their kids wearing moccassins in wintertime, they'll be wearing boots. Not nearly as nice as my kids' mind you, but serviceable.

Everyone in this system cares only for themselves - and yet everyone can get ahead. Oh, and this fictional company has customers, who are also well-serviced.

------------------
- Krogenar
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krogenar:
<B>Now, one of their buddies, Saddam Hussein, (who coincidentally has provided them with shelter, food, and weapons) has been stockpiling WMD (weapons of mass destruction) and racing like mad to get his grimy mitts on some nuclear weapons.

That's what this is about.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE></B>

Yeah, and Dubya sure has delivered proof of this over the past months! Darn I am still staggering from the overwhelming evidence (note if the sarcasm was lost on you: lack thereof).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krogenar:
<B>
Jealousy.

America is the single greatest society that humanity has even produced. Hate us for it?
Fine. If you're not an American, you should follow our example, and become wealthy and enjoy living in a free society. If you're a self-hating American, you should wise up and realize just how well-off we really are.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're the best! You're the best! Aristoteles, Michaelangelo, Rembrandt, Einstein, Freud, Gandhi, Newton, Galilei, Darwin, Pasteur, Copernicus, Columbus, Amundsen, Mozart, da Vinci, Beethoven, Shakespeare - they were all proud Americans.

And your society is so free Image Gee I seem to recall seeing a recent program on violation of human rights in your very own good ol' US of A, I think it had something to do with the 1+ year detaining of over 1000 people without any form of trial or even disclosing their identity, on suspicion of their being involved with 9-11 alone. And your democracy is the best too, he who lobbies best and donates most gets the laws bent a little in their favor! Negroes, hispanics and the poor are stopped in every way from voting, so that the elite can rig the election their way.

Keep shouting how you're the BEST, FREEST and the WEALTHIEST... the shining example for the idiots in the rest of the world to follow. Who knows, you might scare away even the ever brownnosing Blair, Bush's good old lapdog in the UK!

*cough ignorance is bliss*
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B> You're the best! You're the best!
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see you've finally broken down under the avalanche of facts I've provided. I encourage you to feel no shame! :P

Your list of ancient theologians and philosophers was impressive! Here's a short list of some American inventions you MAY have heard about.

The Computer
(you know... the little box thingy that you're staring into right now?)

The Knitting Machine & Power Loom
(those Gap clothes you're wearing? Thank you!)

Rubber Vulcanization
(*cough* Ahem... ladies? We could always go back to using intestinal lining, but hey - Americans are scum, right? Image )

The Zipper! (Yeah, yeah, it was a wartime innovation... I know.)

Ok, enough with the witticisms. To date, we've invented modern communications, the automobile, photography, television, air conditioning, the lightbulb, microwave ovens, nuclear reactors...

America has created so many innovations, its nearly impossible to catalogue them all.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And your society is so free Image Gee I seem to recall seeing a recent program on violation of human rights in your very own good ol' US of A, I think it had something to do with the 1+ year detaining of over 1000 people without any form of trial or even disclosing their identity, on suspicion of their being involved with 9-11 alone. And your democracy is the best too, he who lobbies best and donates most gets the laws bent a little in their favor! Negroes, hispanics and the poor are stopped in every way from voting, so that the elite can rig the election their way.

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa! Whoa! Please, sir. Try to control your vitriol. I haven't said other countries are 'bad' or 'not good'. I'm stating that I believe my country has done the most good, for the greatest number of people possible. Have we ALWAYS done the right thing? No.
That level of moral perfection is impossible. As for holding those 1,000 people you're speaking about - news alert - they are ILLEGAL ALIENS.

If I sneak into France, and get caught - I have no rights. Why I would sneak into France in the first place is open to speculation - but I digress. But in most countries, people who come into the country illegally are not given the full rights of citizens.

You seem intent on holding America to a standard that no nation can meet, for the sole purpose of slandering America. Again, this amounts to jealousy.

Also, you seem to think 1,000 people is a huge number. It's not. There are millions of illegal immigrants in the U.S. MILLIONS. Of those million, we selected the 1,000 that were the greatest security risk.

Eighteen men with hate in their hearts killed 3,000 civilians on 9/11. Ethics sometimes has to bend to common sense. Should we give these 1,000 their full rights (wait... they're NOT CITIZENS!) and endanger the lives of millions of others? Or should we limit their rights (Wait... they don't actually have any, do they?) until we're sure that they aren't a danger?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Keep shouting how you're the BEST, FREEST and the WEALTHIEST... the shining example for the idiots in the rest of the world to follow. Who knows, you might scare away even the ever brownnosing Blair, Bush's good old lapdog in the UK!

*cough ignorance is bliss*</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're missing the point. I don't have to keep saying it. It's proven to me every time I look out my window. Every time I pick up a newspaper, and every time I go to a supermarket, and see produce from the four corners of the world.

You can call me arrogant or ignorant if you wish, but you're only making yourself seem that more bitter.

America! Woohoo!

- Krogenar, Capitalist Pig
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:18 pm

Krogenar:
The US is far from the best society ever created. We might be the wealthiest, maybe the strongest, could have the most freedoms, but this dosen't make us the best ever. We aren't the best ever because we have also failed at so many things, both at home and abroad.

Cherzra:
I can't stand what happened to this country (US) after 9/11. The detaining of people, the so called Patriot Act, etc. I did what I could, I wrote my representitives and let them know how I feel, and that I would remember this come next vote. I would ask all Americians to let your government know you want your rights back.

Could anyone show me a national government where the rich don't have any more pull than the poor? Where big business isn't whispering into the ear of the leader. Is there a campaign being run somewhere where the candidate with the most money dosen't get the most exposure?

Exactly how are "Negroes, hispanics and the poor are stopped in every way from voting..."? I'm pretty sure the last time I went down to the voting place I saw "Negroes, hispanics and the poor" voting however they wanted. There was even a spanish speaking worker there helping those who didn't speak english.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:36 pm

Photography - Joseph Niepce, France, http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=57191

Television - John Logie Baird, Scotland, http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?eu=11975&tocid=0&query=john%20logie%20baird

Automobile - Nicholas Cugnot, France, http://www.automeet.com/autotrivia.html, Karl Benz (first practical automobile), Germany, http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcar.htm

Computer - Konrad Zuse, Germany (first freely programmable computer), others such as Babbage preceded him with other inventions that led to it - http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Zuse.html and http://inventors.about.com/library/blcoindex.htm?PM=ss12_inventors

Nuclear energy - Planck, Schrodinger, Einstein, German, Enrico Fermi
nuetronic reactor - Enrico Fermi, Italy, cold fusion - Leo Szilard, Hungarian, http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blnuclear.htm

Telephone - Alexander Bell, Scottish. So he lived in the States for 10 years, guess that makes him an American huh...

Lightbulbs weren't invented by Thomas Edison, he merely improved upon the existing ideas and made them practical regular use: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bledison.htm#Lightbulb
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:38 pm

My country smells nicer than your country!

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:43 pm

This has turned into the most childish argument ive ever seen.

BTW, Americans also invented goodberries.

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>I suppose after someone walks into a wedding and blows himself up killing 20 or so guests, the correct response of the government would be to not go after the perpetrators.

Like when the US Airforce blew up the Afgan wedding?
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rausrh:
Krogenar:
The US is far from the best society ever created. We might be the wealthiest, maybe the strongest, could have the most freedoms, but this dosen't make us the best ever. We aren't the best ever because we have also failed at so many things, both at home and abroad.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We failed? That's no criteria for success as a society! Failure is fine, so long as you try again. Wealth and affluence are natural, commendable followers of freedom.

The only point you conceded was that we are the wealthiest, and you said it with a sneer. America might be the most powerful country. Might.

It is.

Can I hear from a military person on this forum, please?

And then you finish by saying that America's citizens might have the most freedoms.

Can you name the country or countries that have greater freedoms, and greater power and affluence? Where personal freedom is greater?

Yeah, yeah - I can go to a Hash Bar in Holland and smoke some marijuana. Wow.

Even if you could point out that particular fantasy-land out, you'd still be missing the point. Since America's creation, we've taken in more immigrants than any other nation, and led the world in search of personal freedoms.

The country was founded on an idea that gets most of the intelligentsia in an uproar: the concept of an absolute truth.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Home in on the part about 'all men are created equal' and 'endowed with certain inalienable rights by their Creator'.

By now, some of you are rushing to inform me that for the next century or so, Americans were slaveowners - and therefore, we are colossal hypocrites. Jefferson himself, was a slaveowner. Historians believe that he also carried on an affair with one or more of his female slaves.

Scandalous! But do any of those facts nullify Jefferson's statements? Focus instead on the fact that slavery was eventually abolished.

The fact that America has failed from time to time in its struggle does not diminish the American system's greatness - it only burnishes it.

Who can admire the man who has never failed, and only known easy success and unearned victories? I admire a country that fails, but keep trying to do the right thing.

I think we just differ in our opinions.
I choose to give my country the benefit of the doubt. I'm too old be a cynic. Image

Best regards,
- Krogenar
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:23 pm

Failure is the only criteria for success.
But that's not my point.

I was mearly qualifing my statements to prevent someone quoting some webpage on world stats. I also wasn't sure what you ment my wealthist, strongest, and most freedoms. Did you mean GNP? pre cap? average? meadian? Most planes? most soldiers? most nukes? you understand?

I also feel the need to point out to you that this is a message board. There are only written words. Any inflection you read into what I write is entirly a product of your imagination. Keep that in mind. That sneer you heard was yourself, none of it came from me.

Admire the man who learns from his mistakes, pity the man who repeats them.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:50 pm

from http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/elizabeth_sull ivan/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/opinion/ 1033378299325510.xml

Guess who might use nuclear weapons in Iraq?

09/30/02

The dirty secret of the coming war against Iraq is that nuclear weapons might be used.

Just not by Saddam Hussein.

Saddam doesn't have the bomb yet. That's why we say we need to fight him - to show rogue dictators they can't be allowed to get one.

President George W. Bush's just-released national security strategy calls it "proactive counterproliferation efforts."

"We must deter and defend against the threat before it is unleashed," the document explains.

We must go to war against countries trying to get the bomb, even if they're years away, as most experts believe Iraq to be. Then we must be prepared to fight enemies who already have chemical and biological weapons to use against us.

No, the country that might use nukes in a second war is the same one that used them before.

The United States.

Saddam does have weapons of mass destruction - chemical and biological weapons and the short-range missiles to deliver them. So under one plausible scenario, a chemical-weapons strike by Saddam against U.S. troops could provoke a tactical nuclear response, especially against an isolated desert target, like one of Saddam's hardened bunkers.

Last January, the Pentagon appeared to expand the possible uses of nuclear weapons in its Nuclear Posture Review. The U.S. arsenal now includes small nukes designed to hit deeply buried targets such as the bunkers in which Saddam is believed to have hidden some of his weapons.

Less plausibly, Saddam might hurl a smallpox-laden Scud at Israel, causing mass casualties.

Israeli leader Ariel Sharon already thinks his country paid too high a price for restraint during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when Iraq fired 39 conventionally armed Scuds and Israel didn't respond.

Tel Aviv has nukes in the basement. It would be the ultimate retort.

These are not the scenarios U.S. planners have in mind.

They want a quick, surgical war in which Saddam's defenders fade away to sign up with the stronger side and his orders to fire chemical or biological weapons are ignored by Iraqi commanders worried about U.S. retribution.

But war is war. It can't be planned in advance.

The premise of this war, and of Bush's national security strategy, is that regular old deterrence won't work anymore - especially with rogues like Saddam. That's why we have to go in and wage pre-emptive war.

In the nice old days of the Soviet Union, it's argued, Moscow was civilized and knew when to use its nukes. "Weapons of mass destruction were considered weapons of last resort," the national security paper says. "Today our enemies see [them] as weapons of choice."

But would Saddam really choose to use a nuclear weapon, if he had one? He hasn't used his chemical and biological weapons since he was at war with Iran in the 1980s.

More likely is that he wants a nuclear weapon not to use but to have - like Israel.

He wants to be able to threaten, blackmail and parry the thrusts of great powers without paying the price of 12 years of sanctions or a nuclear winter.

Plain old deterrence did work with Saddam once before. Then-Secretary of State James Baker laid it out before the Gulf War: He told Saddam's foreign minister, Tariq Aziz, to expect "vengeance" and regime change if Iraq used weapons of mass destruction.

"I purposely left the impression that the use of chemical or biological agents by Iraq could invite tactical nuclear retaliation," Baker wrote in a book of memoirs, "The Politics of Diplomacy."

Saddam heard and complied. He launched no nerve gas or anthrax even when his front-line conscripts were dying en masse.

This time will be different. This time he may think he has nothing else to lose. This time he might just unleash that arsenal in order to create that final, horrible response that would immortalize him in the Arab world for standing up to the West.

As for the consequences for average Iraqis, well, Saddam has never shown great compassion for them. He is an evil man. Frighteningly, that's why a nuclear scenario in this war cannot be written off.

Sullivan is The Plain Dealer's foreign-affairs correspondent.

Also, check out wwww.whatreallyappened.com for some very interesting angles on the 'evidence' you are shown, like the gassed puppy, the Osama 'confession' and other stuff.

edit: changed the URL so the screen still wraps

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 10-01-2002).]
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This time will be different. This time he may think he has nothing else to lose. This time he might just unleash that arsenal in order to create that final, horrible response that would immortalize him in the Arab world for standing up to the West.</font>

The above quote is flat out cowardice.
The gist: 'Saddam is crazy! Don't threaten crazy people, just cross to the other side of the street instead, and hope they go away.'

Someone as crazy as Saddam is thought to be should be have their regime crushed like a mad dog. Other countries have nuclear weapons, and we're not concerned. France has nukes... and I'm fine with that. (mutters: they probably have little lace doilies on them...) France isn't run by a tyrant.

The way I see it, we have two choices before us. We can wait, or we can act.

If we wait, Saddam continues to seek out and develop new weapons of mass destruction - eventually creating or buying a nuclear weapon.

In the meantime, the United Nations will continue to issue harshly worded letters against him.

By that time, Saddam will now be a 'player' on the international scene. With a nuclear weapon in his hands, it will be that much harder to remove him.

Or, we act now.

I'm fully in favor of removing Saddam from the map. In the past 10 years, he's flouted U.N. sanctions, and shown that he is willing to use WMD - he used poison gas on a minority group in his own country! If the United Nations can't stand up to such an obvious tyrant, then they really are irrelevant.

- Krogenar

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:08 pm

I thought it was common European practice to ignore tyrants that raise armies and invade other counties?
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Abue:
Like when the US Airforce blew up the Afgan wedding?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Not the same.
The details surrounding those unfortunate deaths are still coming out. Again, this is a case where the U.S. is not given the benefit of the doubt.

When a suicide bomber walks into a wedding, with a nail bomb strapped to his chest, he's there with a specific target and goal: to kill those at the wedding.

Do you honestly believe that a U.S. soldier saw the wedding, and decided: 'Better kill them all, just to be sure?' or some other nonsense?

The soldiers involved have stated that they were fired upon. Did someone invite cousin bin Ladin to the wedding? Did cousin bin Ladin bring his AK-47 just to be safe?

We don't know yet. But in the case of a terrorist bomber, yes, we do know the facts. They were there with the specific intent to kill innocent people. And that is not the same as a wedding party being caught in a cross-fire.

- Krogenar

------------------
- Krogenar
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rausrh:
<B>Failure is the only criteria for success.
But that's not my point.

Ok, well, answer my question if you can.
Name some of America's many egregious failures. They're out there. But I'm willing to bet you know some more that I haven't heard yet. Image

So let's hear them? Just a friendly debate.

- Krogenar
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
I thought it was common European practice to ignore tyrants that raise armies and invade other counties?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough*appeasement*cough*

Wow... I figure I'd have been kicked off this board by now, for daring to talk about politics. Usually I'm the only person who wants to talk about it.

Just a reminder - I really do like everyone here, even if our opinions do differ. I just enjoy the conflict of ideas, that's all. Image

------------------
- Krogenar
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
I thought it was common European practice to ignore tyrants that raise armies and invade other counties?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually.. Europeans declare war upon them, they don't wait until the lunatic declare war upon themselves...

*cough* WW2 *cough*

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:40 pm

Iraq violates UN regulations... Israel has been for the past 36 years, but apparently it's ok when they do. You keep pampering them.

Iraq is run by a dictator... so are dozens of other countries, many of whom are far viler and murderous than Saddam.

Iraq may be developing dangerous weapons... so are North Korea, China and other countries.

None of these other countries is targeted by chimp Dubya. Gee I wonder if it has anything to do with a personal vendetta, a decoy or oil.

On the topic of Europeans supposedly standing by and watching, you're the other end of the spectrum. See the past 50 years of American assassinations, murders, bribes, invasions, involvement in and rigging of foreign elections. Seems to me you're worse than Saddam when it comes to messing with other countries.
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:53 pm

No. Not the same.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try to explain that to the survivors of the family in question. Try to explain that to the next generation of terrorists this type of action creates. I know dam well I could careless what China (Just an example) thought was justification if they blew up my daughters wedding and I survived. I would cheer in the streets to after that if I heard china was just nuked. Serves them right for treating other countries that way. I would feel the same way if it was a terrorist. This is why some people in the world say Israels government is as much a terrorist as the Hamas group. This is also why some in the world would say the Bush is a terrorist like Bin Laden. This is not my opinion but I can see why they feel that way.

When the US enters Iraq they will hit other innocent people just like the Afgan wedding party. People who didn't ask to have Sadam as there leader. People who do not even have the right to speak out against there leader. People who will cheer in the streets when some other mad man (an old family member of a US VICTIM) blows up LA or New York long after Sadam is gone.

[This message has been edited by Abue (edited 10-01-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:50 pm

Its the difference between one son being murderered and the other dying in a car accident when a negligent driver accidently runs him off the road. You lost your sons and its a tragedy, either way. You hate the murderer of your first son just like you hate the guy who was driving too fast and smacked into the car of your second son. The effect was the same. However, the culpability of the two is different. The murderer meant to take a life while the negligent driver had no such intention. Typically, a murderer would get a long jail sentence while the negligent driver would get a slap on the wrist. Theres a reason for treating the two differently...

The US certainly made a mistake bombing that wedding. Did they act negligently? I dont know. Under the circumstances, and war is a difficult business, they might have had good reason to believe it was an al queda convention. I'm really in no position to judge. But even if it was negligent, its silly to compare it to a terrorist walking into a wedding with the intention of blowing up innocent civilians. Same effect, but very different circumstances and guilt.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>The murderer meant to take a life while the negligent driver had no such intention. Typically, a murderer would get a long jail sentence while the negligent driver would get a slap on the wrist. Theres a reason for treating the two differently...

The US certainly made a mistake bombing that wedding. Did they act negligently? I dont know. Under the circumstances, and war is a difficult business, they might have had good reason to believe it was an al queda convention. I'm really in no position to judge. But even if it was negligent, its silly to compare it to a terrorist walking into a wedding with the intention of blowing up innocent civilians. Same effect, but very different circumstances and guilt.

Corth

Exactly right Corth. In addition to the culpability aspect - there's also the aspect of punishment. If we were to discover that yes, U.S. soldiers deliberately decided to kill innocent people then we'll court martial them. They'll have to answer for their crimes.

In contrast, the families of suicide bombers get PAID money by people like Saddam, or Saudi Arabia. Rather than face a trial, or be held to account, they get rewarded. Intent is a crucial aspect of culpability.

Some people have made remarks about 'the chimp Bush' making this war up, that there are other tyrants more deserving of removal, etc.

Show me some proof of a regime that's linked to terrorism, has used WMD, and is actively reaching for nuclear capability. Where's your evidence? Convince me.

------------------
- Krogenar
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Abue:
I know dam well I could careless what China (Just an example) thought was justification if they blew up my daughters wedding and I survived. I would cheer in the streets to after that if I heard china was just nuked.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did I just read that right? You'd cheer in the streets if they were nuked? You really feel that way?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">This is why some people in the world say Israels government is as much a terrorist as the Hamas group. This is also why some in the world would say the Bush is a terrorist like Bin Laden. This is not my opinion but I can see why they feel that way.</font>

Let's define terrorism: terrorism is a method of combat that does not target soldiers, but by its very nature selects civilians, and those unprepared to fight, as their sole targets. (Military people, feel free to expand or correct me.)

Again, show me your evidence. I completely agree that the opinion you're pointing out is widespread in the world.

Cite an example of when Israel or the U.S. has deliberately attacked civilians. A suspected terrorist is not a civilian, mind you - a terrorist is a combatant.

Israel routinely moderates their use of force. They conduct house to house searches for terrorists. Do you have any idea how nerve-wracking it is to have to get inside each house looking for someone who wants to set off a bomb at a wedding? Every time a door opens, it could be rigged to a bomb.

If Israel were as heavy handed as you say, they'd just carpet bomb the Palestians (they have that capability) and just dust themselves off - but that would be barbaric.

As for America's tactics, yes, it's true that we've made mistakes. But you can't possibly equivocate our intentions with those of Saddam Hussein.

Chezra.. you said...
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">On the topic of Europeans supposedly standing by and watching, you're the other end of the spectrum. See the past 50 years of American assassinations, murders, bribes, invasions, involvement in and rigging of foreign elections. Seems to me you're worse than Saddam when it comes to messing with other countries. </font>

Worse than Saddam? You can't be serious.
And we've assassinated people? Who? Please, no more of this 'X-Files' crap. If you have a specific incident, please cite it. As I said before, convince me that your opinion is valid.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When the US enters Iraq they will hit other innocent people just like the Afgan wedding party. People who didn't ask to have Sadam as there leader. People who do not even have the right to speak out against there leader. People who will cheer in the streets when some other mad man (an old family member of a US VICTIM) blows up LA or New York long after Sadam is gone.</font>

There were also people dancing in the streets in Afghanistan, after the Taliban were removed from power. Women removed their burkhas and people were able to turn on transistor radios for the first time in years. The Taliban were a fantastically cruel group of religious fanatics. Their rule was essentially a theocracy. Try that on for size.

I understand people are leery of war, and I appreciate that, but sometimes it is necessary. I'll quote someone far wiser than myself, John Stuart Mill.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more mportant than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

------------------
- Krogenar
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:27 pm

Claiming that the USA invented the computer is pretty ignorant, IMO.

An american company created the first viable PC, but "computing" wasn't an american invention.

Do the names "Turing" or "Babbage" ring a bell?

Regards,
Jorus
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:41 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>
Telephone - Alexander Bell, Scottish. So he lived in the States for 10 years, guess that makes him an American huh...

Err, Bell was Canadian, at least at the time of his invention.

Other great Canadian inventions? Time-zones!

Regards,
Jorus
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:22 pm

You forgot the greatest of great Canadian inventions: Curling. Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:43 pm

<B>You forgot the greatest of great Canadian inventions: Curling. Image

Corth</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget the chalupa, chopsticks, and four different Hindu gods. Everyone's always trying to downplay Canada's place in world history. Hosers.

- Grungar "I need to be doing my programming, but I'm looking at the BBS" Forgefire
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:36 am

I'm in agreement with alot of what Krogenar has posted. i wished i had more insight about politics but my time is spend in the yayaril u can see teh light post.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:21 am

<B> And we've assassinated people? Who? Please, no more of this 'X-Files' crap. If you have a specific incident, please cite it. As I said before, convince me that your opinion is valid.

*sticks head in sand*
*is lied to by his government who censor everything*

Would it be the first of last option here?

China 1945-49: Intervened in a civil war, taking the side of Chiang Kai-shek against the communists, even though the latter had been a much closer ally of the United States in the world war. The U.S. used defeated Japanese soldiers to fight for its side. The communists forced Chiang to flee to Taiwan in 1949. Italy 1947-48: Using every trick in the book, the U.S. interfered in the elections to prevent the Communist Party from coming to power legally and fairly. This perversion of democracy was done in the name of "saving democracy" in Italy. The Communists lost. For the next few decades, the CIA, along with American corporations, continued to intervene in Italian elections, pouring in hundreds of millions of dollars and much psychological warfare to block the specter that was haunting Europe.
Greece 1947-49: Intervened in a civil war, taking the side of the neo-fascists against the Greek left which had fought the Nazis courageously. The neo-fascists won and instituted a highly brutal regime, for which the CIA created a new internal security agency, KYP. Before long, KYP was carrying out all the endearing practices of secret police everywhere, including systematic torture.
Philippines 1945-53: U.S. military fought against leftist forces (Huks) even while the Huks were still fighting against the Japanese invaders. After the war, the U.S. continued its fight against the Huks, defeating them, and then installing a series of puppets as president, culminating in the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos.
South Korea 1945-53: After World War II, the United States suppressed the popular progressive forces in favor of the conservatives who had collaborated with the Japanese. This led to a long era of corrupt, reactionary, and brutal governments.
Albania 1949-53: U.S. and Britain tried unsuccessfully to overthrow the communist government and install a new one that would have been pro-Western and composed largely of monarchists and collaborators with Italian fascists and Nazis.
Germany 1950s: The CIA orchestrated a wide-ranging campaign of sabotage, terrorism, dirty tricks, and psychological warfare against East Germany. This was one of the factors which led to the building of the Berlin Wall in 1961.
Iran 1953: Prime Minister Mossadegh was overthrown in a joint U.S. and British operation. Mossadegh had been elected to his position by a large majority of parliament, but he had made the fateful mistake of spearheading the movement to nationalize a British-owned oil company, the sole oil company operating in Iran. The coup restored the Shah to absolute power and began a period of 25 years of repression and torture, with the oil industry being restored to foreign ownership, as follows: Britain and the U.S., each 40 percent, other nations 20 percent.
Guatemala 1953-1990s: A CIA-organized coup overthrew the democratically-elected and progressive government of Jacobo Arbenz, initiating 40 years of death-squads, torture, disappearances, mass executions, and unimaginable cruelty, totaling well over 100,000 victims -- indisputably one of the most inhuman chapters of the 20th century. Arbenz had nationalized the U.S. firm, United Fruit Company, which had extremely close ties to the American power elite. As justification for the coup, Washington declared that Guatemala had been on the verge of a Soviet takeover, when in fact the Russians had so little interest in the country that it didn't even maintain diplomatic relations. The real problem in the eyes of Washington, in addition to United Fruit, was the danger of Guatemala's social democracy spreading to other countries in Latin America.
Middle East 1956-58: The Eisenhower Doctrine stated that the United States "is prepared to use armed forces to assist" any Middle East country "requesting assistance against armed aggression from any country controlled by international communism." The English translation of this was that no one would be allowed to dominate, or have excessive influence over, the middle east and its oil fields except the United States, and that anyone who tried would be, by definition, "communist." In keeping with this policy, the United States twice attempted to overthrow the Syrian government, staged several shows-of-force in the Mediterranean to intimidate movements opposed to U.S.-sported governments in Jordan and Lebanon, landed 14,000 troops in Lebanon, and conspired to overthrow or assassinate Nasser of Egypt and his troublesome middle-east nationalism. Indonesia 1957-58: Sukarno, like Nasser, was the kind of Third World leader the United States could not abide by. He took neutralism in the cold war seriously, making trips to the Soviet Union and China (though to the White House as well). He nationalized many private holdings of the Dutch, the former colonial power. And he refused to crack down on the Indonesian Communist Party, which was walking the legal, peaceful road and making impressive gains electorally. Such policies could easily give other Third World leaders "wrong ideas." Thus it was that the CIA began throwing money into the elections, plotted Sukarno's assassination, tried to blackmail him with a phoney sex film, and joined forces with dissident military officers to wage a full-scale war against the government. Sukarno survived it all.
British Guiana/Guyana, 1953-64: For 11 years, two of the oldest democracies in the world, Great Britain and the United States, went to great lengths to prevent a democratically elected leader from occupying his office. Cheddi Jagan was another Third World leader who tried to remain neutral and independent. He was elected three times. Although a leftist -- more so than Sukarno or Arbenz -- his policies in office were not revolutionary. But he was still a marked man, for he represented Washington's greatest fear: building a society that might be a successful example of an alternative to the capitalist model. Using a wide variety of tactics -- from general strikes and disinformation to terrorism and British legalisms, the U.S. and Britain finally forced Jagan out in 1964. John F. Kennedy had given a direct order for his ouster, as, presumably, had Eisenhower. One of the better-off countries in the region under Jagan, Guyana, by the 1980s, was one of the poorest. Its principal export became people.
Vietnam, 1950-73: The slippery slope began with siding with the French, the former colonizers and collaborators with the Japanese, against Ho Chi Minh and his followers who had worked closely with the Allied war effort and admired all things American. Ho Chi Minh was, after all, some kind of communist. He had written numerous letters to President Truman and the State Department asking for America's help in winning Vietnamese independence from the French and finding a peaceful solution for his country. All his entreaties were ignored. For he was some kind of communist. Ho Chi Minh modeled the new Vietnamese declaration of independence on the American, beginning it with "All men are created equal. They are endowed by their Creator with ... " But this would count for nothing in Washington. Ho Chi Minh was some kind of communist. Twenty-three years, and more than a million dead, later, the United States withdrew its military forces from Vietnam. Most people say that the U.S. lost the war. But by destroying Vietnam to its core, and poisoning the earth and the gene pool for generations, Washington had in fact achieved its main purpose: preventing what might have been the rise of a good development option for Asia. Ho Chi Minh was, after all, some kind of communist.
Cambodia 1955-73: Prince Sihanouk, yet another leader who did not fancy being an American client. After many years of hostility towards his regime, including assassination plots and the infamous Nixon/Kissinger secret "carpet bombings" of 1969-70, Washington finally overthrew Sihanouk in a coup in 1970. This was all that was needed to impel Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge forces to enter the fray. Five years later, they took power. But five years of American bombing had caused Cambodia's traditional economy to vanish. The old Cambodia had been destroyed forever. Incredibly, the Khmer Rouge were to inflict even greater misery upon this unhappy land. To add to the irony, the United States supported Pol Pot, militarily and diplomatically, after their subsequent defeat by the Vietnamese.
The Congo/Zaire 1960-65: In June 1960, Patrice Lumumba became the Congo's first prime minister after independence from Belgium. But Belgium retained its vast mineral wealth in Katanga province, prominent Eisenhower administration officials had financial ties to the same wealth, and Lumumba, at Independence Day ceremonies before a host of foreign dignitaries, called for the nation's economic as well as its political liberation, and recounted a list of injustices against the natives by the white owners of the country. The poor man was obviously a "communist." The poor man was obviously doomed. Eleven days later, Katanga province seceded, in September Lumumba was dismissed by the president at the instigation of the United States, and in January 1961 he was assassinated at the express request of Dwight Eisenhower. There followed several years of civil conflict and chaos and the rise to power of Mobutu Sese Seko, a man not a stranger to the CIA. Mobutu went on to rule the country for more than 30 years, with a level of corruption and cruelty that shocked even his CIA handlers. The Zairian people lived in abject poverty despite the plentiful natural wealth, while Mobutu became a multibillionaire.
Brazil 1961-64: President Joao Goulart was guilty of the usual crimes: He took an independent stand in foreign policy, resuming relations with socialist countries and opposing sanctions against Cuba; his administration passed a law limiting the amount of profits multinationals could transmit outside the country; a subsidiary of ITT was nationalized; he promoted economic and social reforms. And Attorney-General Robert Kennedy was uneasy about Goulart allowing "communists" to hold positions in government agencies. Yet the man was no radical. He was a millionaire land-owner and a Catholic who wore a medal of the Virgin around his neck. That, however, was not enough to save him. In 1964, he was overthrown in a military coup which had deep, covert American involvement. The official Washington line was ... yes, it's unfortunate that democracy has been overthrown in Brazil ... but, still, the country has been saved from communism. For the next 15 years, all the features of military dictatorship which Latin America has come to know and love were instituted: Congress was shut down, political opposition was reduced to virtual extinction, habeas corpus for "political crimes" was suspended, criticism of the president was forbidden by law, labor unions were taken over by government interveners, mounting protests were met by police and military firing into crowds, peasants' homes were burned down, priests were brutalized ... disappearances, death squads, a remarkable degree and depravity of torture ... the government had a name for its program: the "moral rehabilitation" of Brazil. Washington was very pleased. Brazil broke relations with Cuba and became one of the United States' most reliable allies in Latin America.
Dominican Republic, 1963-66: In February 1963, Juan Bosch took office as the first democratically elected president of the Dominican Republic since 1924. Here at last was John F. Kennedy's liberal anti-communist, to counter the charge that the U.S. supported only military dictatorships. Bosch's government was to be the long sought "showcase of democracy" that would put the lie to Fidel Castro. He was given the grand treatment in Washington shortly before he took office. Bosch was true to his beliefs. He called for land reform; low-rent housing; modest nationalization of business; and foreign investment provided it was not excessively exploitative of the country; and other policies making up the program of any liberal Third World leader serious about social change. He was likewise serious about the thing called civil liberties: Communists, or those labeled as such, were not to be persecuted unless they actually violated the law. A number of American officials and congressmen expressed their discomfort with Bosch's plans, as well as his stance of independence from the United States. Land reform and nationalization are always touchy issues in Washington, the stuff that "creeping socialism" is made of. In several quarters of the U.S. press Bosch was red-baited. In September, the military boots marched. Bosch was out. The United States, which could discourage a military coup in Latin America with a frown, did nothing. Nineteen months later, a revolt broke out which promised to put the exiled Bosch back into power. The United States sent 23,000 troops to help crush it. Cuba 1959 to present: Fidel Castro came to power at the beginning of 1959. A U.S. National Security Council meeting of 10 March 1959 included on its agenda the feasibility of bringing "another government to power in Cuba." There followed 40 years of terrorist attacks, bombings, full-scale military invasion, sanctions, embargos, isolation, assassinations ... Cuba had carried out The Unforgivable Revolution, a very serious threat of setting a "good example" in Latin America. The saddest part of this is that the world will never know what kind of society Cuba could have produced if left alone, if not constantly under the gun and the threat of invasion, if allowed to relax its control at home. The idealism, the vision, the talent, the internationalism were all there. But we'll never know. And that of course was the idea.
Indonesia 1965: A complex series of events, involving a supposed coup attempt, a counter-coup, and perhaps a counter-counter-coup, with American fingerprints apparent at various points, resulted in the ouster from power of Sukarno and his replacement by a military coup led by General Suharto. The massacre that began immediately -- of communists, communists sympathizers, suspected communists, suspected communist sympathizers, and none of the above -- was called by the New York Times "one of the most savage mass slayings of modern political history." The estimates of the number killed in the course of a few years begin at half a million and go above a million. It was later learned that the U.S. embassy had compiled lists of "communist" operatives, from top echelons down to village cadres, as many as 5,000 names, and turned them over to the army, which then hunted those persons down and killed them. The Americans would then check off the names of those who had been killed or captured. "It really was a big help to the army. They probably killed a lot of people, and I probably have a lot of blood on my hands," said one U.S. diplomat. "But that's not all bad. There's a time when you have to strike hard at a decisive moment."
Chile, 1964-73: Salvador Allende was the worst possible scenario for a Washington imperialist. He could imagine only one thing worse than a Marxist in power -- an elected Marxist in power, who honored the constitution, and became increasingly popular. This shook the very foundation stones upon which the anti-communist tower was built: the doctrine, painstakingly cultivated for decades, that "communists" can take power only through force and deception, that they can retain that power only through terrorizing and brainwashing the population. After sabotaging Allende's electoral endeavor in 1964, and failing to do so in 1970, despite their best efforts, the CIA and the rest of the American foreign policy machine left no stone unturned in their attempt to destabilize the Allende government over the next three years, paying particular attention to building up military hostility. Finally, in September 1973, the military overthrew the government, Allende dying in the process. Thus it was that they closed the country to the outside world for a week, while the tanks rolled and the soldiers broke down doors; the stadiums rang with the sounds of execution and the bodies piled up along the streets and floated in the river; the torture centers opened for business; the subversive books were thrown to the bonfires; soldiers slit the trouser legs of women, shouting that "In Chile women wear dresses!"; the poor returned to their natural state; and the men of the world in Washington and in the halls of international finance opened up their check-books. In the end, more than 3,000 had been executed, thousands more tortured or disappeared.
Greece 1964-74: The military coup took place in April 1967, just two days before the campaign for national elections was to begin, elections which appeared certain to bring the veteran liberal leader George Papandreou back as prime minister. Papandreou had been elected in February 1964 with the only outright majority in the history of modern Greek elections. The successful machinations to unseat him had begun immediately, a joint effort of the Royal Court, the Greek military, and the American military and CIA stationed in Greece. The 1967 coup was followed immediately by the traditional martial law, censorship, arrests, beatings, torture, and killings, the victims totaling some 8,000 in the first month. This was accompanied by the equally traditional declaration that this was all being done to save the nation from a "communist takeover." Corrupting and subversive influences in Greek life were to be removed. Among these were miniskirts, long hair, and foreign newspapers; church attendance for the young would be compulsory. It was torture, however, which most indelibly marked the seven-year Greek nightmare. James Becket, an American attorney sent to Greece by Amnesty International, wrote in December 1969 that "a conservative estimate would place at not less than two thousand" the number of people tortured, usually in the most gruesome of ways, often with equipment supplied by the United States. Becket reported the following: Hundreds of prisoners have listened to the little speech given by Inspector Basil Lambrou, who sits behind his desk which displays the red, white, and blue clasped-hand symbol of American aid. He tries to show the prisoner the absolute futility of resistance: "You make yourself ridiculous by thinking you can do anything. The world is divided in two. There are the communists on that side and on this side the free world. The Russians and the Americans, no one else. What are we? Americans. Behind me there is the government, behind the government is NATO, behind NATO is the U.S. You can't fight us, we are Americans." George Papandreou was not any kind of radical. He was a liberal anti-communist type. But his son Andreas, the heir-apparent, while only a little to the left of his father had not disguised his wish to take Greece out of the cold war, and had questioned remaining in NATO, or at least as a satellite of the United States.
East Timor, 1975 to present: In December 1975, Indonesia invaded East Timor, which lies at the eastern end of the Indonesian archipelago, and which had proclaimed its independence after Portugal had relinquished control of it. The invasion was launched the day after U.S. President Gerald Ford and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger had left Indonesia after giving Suharto permission to use American arms, which, under U.S. law, could not be used for aggression. Indonesia was Washington's most valuable tool in Southeast Asia. Amnesty International estimated that by 1989, Indonesian troops, with the aim of forcibly annexing East Timor, had killed 200,000 people out of a population of between 600,000 and 700,000. The United States consistently supported Indonesia's claim to East Timor (unlike the UN and the EU), and downplayed the slaughter to a remarkable degree, at the same time supplying Indonesia with all the military hardware and training it needed to carry out the job.
Nicaragua 1978-89: When the Sandinistas overthrew the Somoza dictatorship in 1978, it was clear to Washington that they might well be that long-dreaded beast -- "another Cuba." Under President Carter, attempts to sabotage the revolution took diplomatic and economic forms. Under Reagan, violence was the method of choice. For eight terribly long years, the people of Nicaragua were under attack by Washington's proxy army, the Contras, formed from Somoza's vicious National Guardsmen and other supporters of the dictator. It was all-out war, aiming to destroy the progressive social and economic programs of the government, burning down schools and medical clinics, raping, torturing, mining harbors, bombing and strafing. These were Ronald Reagan's "freedom fighters." There would be no revolution in Nicaragua.
Grenada 1979-84: What would drive the most powerful nation in the world to invade a country of 110 thousand? Maurice Bishop and his followers had taken power in a 1979 coup, and though their actual policies were not as revolutionary as Castro's, Washington was again driven by its fear of "another Cuba," particularly when public appearances by the Grenadian leaders in other countries of the region met with great enthusiasm. U.S. destabilization tactics against the Bishop government began soon after the coup and continued until 1983, featuring numerous acts of disinformation and dirty tricks. The American invasion in October 1983 met minimal resistance, although the U.S. suffered 135 killed or wounded; there were also some 400 Grenadian casualties, and 84 Cubans, mainly construction workers. What conceivable human purpose these people died for has not been revealed. At the end of 1984, a questionable election was held which was won by a man supported by the Reagan administration. One year later, the human rights organization, Council on Hemispheric Affairs, reported that Grenada's new U.S.-trained police force and counter-insurgency forces had acquired a reputation for brutality, arbitrary arrest, and abuse of authority, and were eroding civil rights. In April 1989, the government issued a list of more than 80 books which were prohibited from being imported. Four months later, the prime minister suspended parliament to forestall a threatened no-confidence vote resulting from what his critics called "an increasingly authoritarian style."
Libya 1981-89: Libya refused to be a proper Middle East client state of Washington. Its leader, Muammar el-Qaddafi, was uppity. He would have to be punished. U.S. planes shot down two Libyan planes in what Libya regarded as its air space. The U.S. also dropped bombs on the country, killing at least 40 people, including Qaddafi's daughter. There were other attempts to assassinate the man, operations to overthrow him, a major disinformation campaign, economic sanctions, and blaming Libya for being behind the Pan Am 103 bombing without any good evidence.
Panama, 1989: Washington's mad bombers strike again. December 1989, a large tenement barrio in Panama City wiped out, 15,000 people left homeless. Counting several days of ground fighting against Panamanian forces, 500-something dead was the official body count, what the U.S. and the new U.S.-installed Panamanian government admitted to; other sources, with no less evidence, insisted that thousands had died; 3,000-something wounded. Twenty-three Americans dead, 324 wounded. Question from reporter: "Was it really worth it to send people to their death for this? To get Noriega?" George Bush: "Every human life is precious, and yet I have to answer, yes, it has been worth it." Manuel Noriega had been an American ally and informant for years until he outlived his usefulness. But getting him was not the only motive for the attack. Bush wanted to send a clear message to the people of Nicaragua, who had an election scheduled in two months, that this might be their fate if they reelected the Sandinistas. Bush also wanted to flex some military muscle to illustrate to Congress the need for a large combat-ready force even after the very recent dissolution of the "Soviet threat." The official explanation for the American ouster was Noriega's drug trafficking, which Washington had known about for years and had not been at all bothered by. Iraq 1990s: Relentless bombing for more than 40 days and nights, against one of the most advanced nations in the Middle East, devastating its ancient and modern capital city; 177 million pounds of bombs falling on the people of Iraq, the most concentrated aerial onslaught in the history of the world; depleted uranium weapons incinerating people, causing cancer; blasting chemical and biological weapon storages and oil facilities; poisoning the atmosphere to a degree perhaps never matched anywhere; burying soldiers alive, deliberately; the infrastructure destroyed, with a terrible effect on health; sanctions continued to this day multiplying the health problems; perhaps a million children dead by now from all of these things, even more adults. Iraq was the strongest military power amongst the Arab states. This may have been their crime. Noam Chomsky has written: It's been a leading, driving doctrine of U.S. foreign policy since the 1940s that the vast and unparalleled energy resources of the Gulf region will be effectively dominated by the United States and its clients, and, crucially, that no independent, indigenous force will be permitted to have a substantial influence on the administration of oil production and price. Afghanistan 1979-92: Everyone knows of the unbelievable repression of women in Afghanistan, carried out by Islamic fundamentalists, even before the Taliban. But how many people know that during the late 1970s and most of the 1980s, Afghanistan had a government committed to bringing the incredibly backward nation into the 20th century, including giving women equal rights? What happened, however, is that the United States poured billions of dollars into waging a terrible war against this government, simply because it was supported by the Soviet Union. Prior to this, CIA operations had knowingly increased the probability of a Soviet intervention, which is what occurred. In the end, the United States won, and the women, and the rest of Afghanistan, lost. More than a million dead, three million disabled, five million refugees, in total about half the population. El Salvador, 1980-92: Salvador's dissidents tried to work within the system. But with U.S. support, the government made that impossible, using repeated electoral fraud and murdering hundreds of protestors and strikers. In 1980, the dissidents took to the gun, and civil war. Officially, the U.S. military presence in El Salvador was limited to an advisory capacity. In actuality, military and CIA personnel played a more active role on a continuous basis. About 20 Americans were killed or wounded in helicopter and plane crashes while flying reconnaissance or other missions over combat areas, and considerable evidence surfaced of a U.S. role in the ground fighting as well. The war came to an official end in 1992; 75,000 civilian deaths and the U.S. Treasury depleted by six billion dollars. Meaningful social change has been largely thwarted. A handful of the wealthy still own the country, the poor remain as ever, and dissidents still have to fear right-wing death squads. Haiti, 1987-94: The U.S. supported the Duvalier family dictatorship for 30 years, then opposed the reformist priest, Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Meanwhile, the CIA was working intimately with death squads, torturers and drug traffickers. With this as background, the Clinton White House found itself in the awkward position of having to pretend -- because of all their rhetoric about "democracy" -- that they supported Aristide's return to power in Haiti after he had been ousted in a 1991 military coup. After delaying his return for more than two years, Washington finally had its military restore Aristide to office, but only after obliging the priest to guarantee that he would not help the poor at the expense of the rich, and that he would stick closely to free-market economics. This meant that Haiti would continue to be the assembly plant of the Western Hemisphere, with its workers receiving literally starvation wages.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:52 am

I'm actually rather proud of the fact that my country can manipulate other countries so easily. Cheers for the US! Canada, too! God, what chaos will ensue when all the US haters realize that America is just a front for Canadian political agendas.

------------------
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Levvirrnaxxum OOC: 'i like backdoor lovin too!'
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:54 am

Yet when others do it, they are terrorists, right? Oh the hypocrisy.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:08 am

<B> *sticks head in sand*
*is lied to by his government who censor everything*

Would it be the first of last option here?

China 1945-49:</B> Intervened in a civil war, taking the side of Chiang Kai-shek against the communists, even though the latter had been a much closer ally of the United States in the world war. The U.S. used defeated Japanese soldiers to fight for its side. The communists forced Chiang to flee to Taiwan in 1949. Italy 1947-48: Using every trick in the book, the U.S. interfered in the elections to prevent the Communist Party from coming to power legally and fairly. This perversion of democracy was done in the name of "saving democracy" in Italy. The Communists lost. For the next few decades, the CIA, along with American corporations, continued to intervene in Italian elections, pouring in hundreds of millions of dollars and much psychological warfare to block the specter that was haunting Europe.
[b]Greece 1947-49:
Intervened in a civil war, taking the side of the neo-fascists against the Greek left which had fought the Nazis courageously. The neo-fascists won and instituted a highly brutal regime, for which the CIA created a new internal security agency, KYP. Before long, KYP was carrying out all the endearing practices of secret police everywhere, including systematic torture.
Philippines 1945-53: U.S. military fought against leftist forces (Huks) even while the Huks were still fighting against the Japanese invaders. After the war, the U.S. continued its fight against the Huks, defeating them, and then installing a series of puppets as president, culminating in the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos.
South Korea 1945-53: After World War II, the United States suppressed the popular progressive forces in favor of the conservatives who had collaborated with the Japanese. This led to a long era of corrupt, reactionary, and brutal governments.
Albania 1949-53: U.S. and Britain tried unsuccessfully to overthrow the communist government and install a new one that would have been pro-Western and composed largely of monarchists and collaborators with Italian fascists and Nazis.
Germany 1950s: The CIA orchestrated a wide-ranging campaign of sabotage, terrorism, dirty tricks, and psychological warfare against East Germany. This was one of the factors which led to the building of the Berlin Wall in 1961.
Iran 1953: Prime Minister Mossadegh was overthrown in a joint U.S. and British operation. Mossadegh had been elected to his position by a large majority of parliament, but he had made the fateful mistake of spearheading the movement to nationalize a British-owned oil company, the sole oil company operating in Iran. The coup restored the Shah to absolute power and began a period of 25 years of repression and torture, with the oil industry being restored to foreign ownership, as follows: Britain and the U.S., each 40 percent, other nations 20 percent.
Guatemala 1953-1990s: A CIA-organized coup overthrew the democratically-elected and progressive government of Jacobo Arbenz, initiating 40 years of death-squads, torture, disappearances, mass executions, and unimaginable cruelty, totaling well over 100,000 victims -- indisputably one of the most inhuman chapters of the 20th century. Arbenz had nationalized the U.S. firm, United Fruit Company, which had extremely close ties to the American power elite. As justification for the coup, Washington declared that Guatemala had been on the verge of a Soviet takeover, when in fact the Russians had so little interest in the country that it didn't even maintain diplomatic relations. The real problem in the eyes of Washington, in addition to United Fruit, was the danger of Guatemala's social democracy spreading to other countries in Latin America.
Middle East 1956-58: The Eisenhower Doctrine stated that the United States "is prepared to use armed forces to assist" any Middle East country "requesting assistance against armed aggression from any country controlled by international communism." The English translation of this was that no one would be allowed to dominate, or have excessive influence over, the middle east and its oil fields except the United States, and that anyone who tried would be, by definition, "communist." In keeping with this policy, the United States twice attempted to overthrow the Syrian government, staged several shows-of-force in the Mediterranean to intimidate movements opposed to U.S.-sported governments in Jordan and Lebanon, landed 14,000 troops in Lebanon, and conspired to overthrow or assassinate Nasser of Egypt and his troublesome middle-east nationalism. Indonesia 1957-58: Sukarno, like Nasser, was the kind of Third World leader the United States could not abide by. He took neutralism in the cold war seriously, making trips to the Soviet Union and China (though to the White House as well). He nationalized many private holdings of the Dutch, the former colonial power. And he refused to crack down on the Indonesian Communist Party, which was walking the legal, peaceful road and making impressive gains electorally. Such policies could easily give other Third World leaders "wrong ideas." Thus it was that the CIA began throwing money into the elections, plotted Sukarno's assassination, tried to blackmail him with a phoney sex film, and joined forces with dissident military officers to wage a full-scale war against the government. Sukarno survived it all.
British Guiana/Guyana, 1953-64: For 11 years, two of the oldest democracies in the world, Great Britain and the United States, went to great lengths to prevent a democratically elected leader from occupying his office. Cheddi Jagan was another Third World leader who tried to remain neutral and independent. He was elected three times. Although a leftist -- more so than Sukarno or Arbenz -- his policies in office were not revolutionary. But he was still a marked man, for he represented Washington's greatest fear: building a society that might be a successful example of an alternative to the capitalist model. Using a wide variety of tactics -- from general strikes and disinformation to terrorism and British legalisms, the U.S. and Britain finally forced Jagan out in 1964. John F. Kennedy had given a direct order for his ouster, as, presumably, had Eisenhower. One of the better-off countries in the region under Jagan, Guyana, by the 1980s, was one of the poorest. Its principal export became people.
Vietnam, 1950-73: The slippery slope began with siding with the French, the former colonizers and collaborators with the Japanese, against Ho Chi Minh and his followers who had worked closely with the Allied war effort and admired all things American. Ho Chi Minh was, after all, some kind of communist. He had written numerous letters to President Truman and the State Department asking for America's help in winning Vietnamese independence from the French and finding a peaceful solution for his country. All his entreaties were ignored. For he was some kind of communist. Ho Chi Minh modeled the new Vietnamese declaration of independence on the American, beginning it with "All men are created equal. They are endowed by their Creator with ... " But this would count for nothing in Washington. Ho Chi Minh was some kind of communist. Twenty-three years, and more than a million dead, later, the United States withdrew its military forces from Vietnam. Most people say that the U.S. lost the war. But by destroying Vietnam to its core, and poisoning the earth and the gene pool for generations, Washington had in fact achieved its main purpose: preventing what might have been the rise of a good development option for Asia. Ho Chi Minh was, after all, some kind of communist.
Cambodia 1955-73: Prince Sihanouk, yet another leader who did not fancy being an American client. After many years of hostility towards his regime, including assassination plots and the infamous Nixon/Kissinger secret "carpet bombings" of 1969-70, Washington finally overthrew Sihanouk in a coup in 1970. This was all that was needed to impel Pol Pot and his Khmer Rouge forces to enter the fray. Five years later, they took power. But five years of American bombing had caused Cambodia's traditional economy to vanish. The old Cambodia had been destroyed forever. Incredibly, the Khmer Rouge were to inflict even greater misery upon this unhappy land. To add to the irony, the United States supported Pol Pot, militarily and diplomatically, after their subsequent defeat by the Vietnamese.
The Congo/Zaire 1960-65: In June 1960, Patrice Lumumba became the Congo's first prime minister after independence from Belgium. But Belgium retained its vast mineral wealth in Katanga province, prominent Eisenhower administration officials had financial ties to the same wealth, and Lumumba, at Independence Day ceremonies before a host of foreign dignitaries, called for the nation's economic as well as its political liberation, and recounted a list of injustices against the natives by the white owners of the country. The poor man was obviously a "communist." The poor man was obviously doomed. Eleven days later, Katanga province seceded, in September Lumumba was dismissed by the president at the instigation of the United States, and in January 1961 he was assassinated at the express request of Dwight Eisenhower. There followed several years of civil conflict and chaos and the rise to power of Mobutu Sese Seko, a man not a stranger to the CIA. Mobutu went on to rule the country for more than 30 years, with a level of corruption and cruelty that shocked even his CIA handlers. The Zairian people lived in abject poverty despite the plentiful natural wealth, while Mobutu became a multibillionaire.
Brazil 1961-64: President Joao Goulart was guilty of the usual crimes: He took an independent stand in foreign policy, resuming relations with socialist countries and opposing sanctions against Cuba; his administration passed a law limiting the amount of profits multinationals could transmit outside the country; a subsidiary of ITT was nationalized; he promoted economic and social reforms. And Attorney-General Robert Kennedy was uneasy about Goulart allowing "communists" to hold positions in government agencies. Yet the man was no radical. He was a millionaire land-owner and a Catholic who wore a medal of the Virgin around his neck. That, however, was not enough to save him. In 1964, he was overthrown in a military coup which had deep, covert American involvement. The official Washington line was ... yes, it's unfortunate that democracy has been overthrown in Brazil ... but, still, the country has been saved from communism. For the next 15 years, all the features of military dictatorship which Latin America has come to know and love were instituted: Congress was shut down, political opposition was reduced to virtual extinction, habeas corpus for "political crimes" was suspended, criticism of the president was forbidden by law, labor unions were taken over by government interveners, mounting protests were met by police and military firing into crowds, peasants' homes were burned down, priests were brutalized ... disappearances, death squads, a remarkable degree and depravity of torture ... the government had a name for its program: the "moral rehabilitation" of Brazil. Washington was very pleased. Brazil broke relations with Cuba and became one of the United States' most reliable allies in Latin America.
Dominican Republic, 1963-66: In February 1963, Juan Bosch took office as the first democratically elected president of the Dominican Republic since 1924. Here at last was John F. Kennedy's liberal anti-communist, to counter the charge that the U.S. supported only military dictatorships. Bosch's government was to be the long sought "showcase of democracy" that would put the lie to Fidel Castro. He was given the grand treatment in Washington shortly before he took office. Bosch was true to his beliefs. He called for land reform; low-rent housing; modest nationalization of business; and foreign investment provided it was not excessively exploitative of the country; and other policies making up the program of any liberal Third World leader serious about social change. He was likewise serious about the thing called civil liberties: Communists, or those labeled as such, were not to be persecuted unless they actually violated the law. A number of American officials and congressmen expressed their discomfort with Bosch's plans, as well as his stance of independence from the United States. Land reform and nationalization are always touchy issues in Washington, the stuff that "creeping socialism" is made of. In several quarters of the U.S. press Bosch was red-baited. In September, the military boots marched. Bosch was out. The United States, which could discourage a military coup in Latin America with a frown, did nothing. Nineteen months later, a revolt broke out which promised to put the exiled Bosch back into power. The United States sent 23,000 troops to help crush it. Cuba 1959 to present: Fidel Castro came to power at the beginning of 1959. A U.S. National Security Council meeting of 10 March 1959 included on its agenda the feasibility of bringing "another government to power in Cuba." There followed 40 years of terrorist attacks, bombings, full-scale military invasion, sanctions, embargos, isolation, assassinations ... Cuba had carried out The Unforgivable Revolution, a very serious threat of setting a "good example" in Latin America. The saddest part of this is that the world will never know what kind of society Cuba could have produced if left alone, if not constantly under the gun and the threat of invasion, if allowed to relax its control at home. The idealism, the vision, the talent, the internationalism were all there. But we'll never know. And that of course was the idea.
Indonesia 1965: A complex series of events, involving a supposed coup attempt, a counter-coup, and perhaps a counter-counter-coup, with American fingerprints apparent at various points, resulted in the ouster from power of Sukarno and his replacement by a military coup led by General Suharto. The massacre that began immediately -- of communists, communists sympathizers, suspected communists, suspected communist sympathizers, and none of the above -- was called by the New York Times "one of the most savage mass slayings of modern political history." The estimates of the number killed in the course of a few years begin at half a million and go above a million. It was later learned that the U.S. embassy had compiled lists of "communist" operatives, from top echelons down to village cadres, as many as 5,000 names, and turned them over to the army, which then hunted those persons down and killed them. The Americans would then check off the names of those who had been killed or captured. "It really was a big help to the army. They probably killed a lot of people, and I probably have a lot of blood on my hands," said one U.S. diplomat. "But that's not all bad. There's a time when you have to strike hard at a decisive moment."
Chile, 1964-73: Salvador Allende was the worst possible scenario for a Washington imperialist. He could imagine only one thing worse than a Marxist in power -- an elected Marxist in power, who honored the constitution, and became increasingly popular. This shook the very foundation stones upon which the anti-communist tower was built: the doctrine, painstakingly cultivated for decades, that "communists" can take power only through force and deception, that they can retain that power only through terrorizing and brainwashing the population. After sabotaging Allende's electoral endeavor in 1964, and failing to do so in 1970, despite their best efforts, the CIA and the rest of the American foreign policy machine left no stone unturned in their attempt to destabilize the Allende government over the next three years, paying particular attention to building up military hostility. Finally, in September 1973, the military overthrew the government, Allende dying in the process. Thus it was that they closed the country to the outside world for a week, while the tanks rolled and the soldiers broke down doors; the stadiums rang with the sounds of execution and the bodies piled up along the streets and floated in the river; the torture centers opened for business; the subversive books were thrown to the bonfires; soldiers slit the trouser legs of women, shouting that "In Chile women wear dresses!"; the poor returned to their natural state; and the men of the world in Washington and in the halls of international finance opened up their check-books. In the end, more than 3,000 had been executed, thousands more tortured or disappeared.
Greece 1964-74: The military coup took place in April 1967, just two days before the campaign for national elections was to begin, elections which appeared certain to bring the veteran liberal leader George Papandreou back as prime minister. Papandreou had been elected in February 1964 with the only outright majority in the history of modern Greek elections. The successful machinations to unseat him had begun immediately, a joint effort of the Royal Court, the Greek military, and the American military and CIA stationed in Greece. The 1967 coup was followed immediately by the traditional martial law, censorship, arrests, beatings, torture, and killings, the victims totaling some 8,000 in the first month. This was accompanied by the equally traditional declaration that this was all being done to save the nation from a "communist takeover." Corrupting and subversive influences in Greek life were to be removed. Among these were miniskirts, long hair, and foreign newspapers; church attendance for the young would be compulsory. It was torture, however, which most indelibly marked the seven-year Greek nightmare. James Becket, an American attorney sent to Greece by Amnesty International, wrote in December 1969 that "a conservative estimate would place at not less than two thousand" the number of people tortured, usually in the most gruesome of ways, often with equipment supplied by the United States. Becket reported the following: Hundreds of prisoners have listened to the little speech given by Inspector Basil Lambrou, who sits behind his desk which displays the red, white, and blue clasped-hand symbol of American aid. He tries to show the prisoner the absolute futility of resistance: "You make yourself ridiculous by thinking you can do anything. The world is divided in two. There are the communists on that side and on this side the free world. The Russians and the Americans, no one else. What are we? Americans. Behind me there is the government, behind the government is NATO, behind NATO is the U.S. You can't fight us, we are Americans." George Papandreou was not any kind of radical. He was a liberal anti-communist type. But his son Andreas, the heir-apparent, while only a little to the left of his father had not disguised his wish to take Greece out of the cold war, and had questioned remaining in NATO, or at least as a satellite of the United States.
East Timor, 1975 to present: In December 1975, Indonesia invaded East Timor, which lies at the eastern end of the Indonesian archipelago, and which had proclaimed its independence after Portugal had relinquished control of it. The invasion was launched the day after U.S. President Gerald Ford and Secretary of State Henry Kissinger had left Indonesia after giving Suharto permission to use American arms, which, under U.S. law, could not be used for aggression. Indonesia was Washington's most valuable tool in Southeast Asia. Amnesty International estimated that by 1989, Indonesian troops, with the aim of forcibly annexing East Timor, had killed 200,000 people out of a population of between 600,000 and 700,000. The United States consistently supported Indonesia's claim to East Timor (unlike the UN and the EU), and downplayed the slaughter to a remarkable degree, at the same time supplying Indonesia with all the military hardware and training it needed to carry out the job.
Nicaragua 1978-89: When the Sandinistas overthrew the Somoza dictatorship in 1978, it was clear to Washington that they might well be that long-dreaded beast -- "another Cuba." Under President Carter, attempts to sabotage the revolution took diplomatic and economic forms. Under Reagan, violence was the method of choice. For eight terribly long years, the people of Nicaragua were under attack by Washington's proxy army, the Contras, formed from Somoza's vicious National Guardsmen and other supporters of the dictator. It was all-out war, aiming to destroy the progressive social and economic programs of the government, burning down schools and medical clinics, raping, torturing, mining harbors, bombing and strafing. These were Ronald Reagan's "freedom fighters." There would be no revolution in Nicaragua.
Grenada 1979-84: What would drive the most powerful nation in the world to invade a country of 110 thousand? Maurice Bishop and his followers had taken power in a 1979 coup, and though their actual policies were not as revolutionary as Castro's, Washington was again driven by its fear of "another Cuba," particularly when public appearances by the Grenadian leaders in other countries of the region met with great enthusiasm. U.S. destabilization tactics against the Bishop government began soon after the coup and continued until 1983, featuring numerous acts of disinformation and dirty tricks. The American invasion in October 1983 met minimal resistance, although the U.S. suffered 135 killed or wounded; there were also some 400 Grenadian casualties, and 84 Cubans, mainly construction workers. What conceivable human purpose these people died for has not been revealed. At the end of 1984, a questionable election was held which was won by a man supported by the Reagan administration. One year later, the human rights organization, Council on Hemispheric Affairs, reported that Grenada's new U.S.-trained police force and counter-insurgency forces had acquired a reputation for brutality, arbitrary arrest, and abuse of authority, and were eroding civil rights. In April 1989, the government issued a list of more than 80 books which were prohibited from being imported. Four months later, the prime minister suspended parliament to forestall a threatened no-confidence vote resulting from what his critics called "an increasingly authoritarian style."
Libya 1981-89: Libya refused to be a proper Middle East client state of Washington. Its leader, Muammar el-Qaddafi, was uppity. He would have to be punished. U.S. planes shot down two Libyan planes in what Libya regarded as its air space. The U.S. also dropped bombs on the country, killing at least 40 people, including Qaddafi's daughter. There were other attempts to assassinate the man, operations to overthrow him, a major disinformation campaign, economic sanctions, and blaming Libya for being behind the Pan Am 103 bombing without any good evidence.
Panama, 1989: Washington's mad bombers strike again. December 1989, a large tenement barrio in Panama City wiped out, 15,000 people left homeless. Counting several days of ground fighting against Panamanian forces, 500-something dead was the official body count, what the U.S. and the new U.S.-installed Panamanian government admitted to; other sources, with no less evidence, insisted that thousands had died; 3,000-something wounded. Twenty-three Americans dead, 324 wounded. Question from reporter: "Was it really worth it to send people to their death for this? To get Noriega?" George Bush: "Every human life is precious, and yet I have to answer, yes, it has been worth it." Manuel Noriega had been an American ally and informant for years until he outlived his usefulness. But getting him was not the only motive for the attack. Bush wanted to send a clear message to the people of Nicaragua, who had an election scheduled in two months, that this might be their fate if they reelected the Sandinistas. Bush also wanted to flex some military muscle to illustrate to Congress the need for a large combat-ready force even after the very recent dissolution of the "Soviet threat." The official explanation for the American ouster was Noriega's drug trafficking, which Washington had known about for years and had not been at all bothered by. Iraq 1990s: Relentless bombing for more than 40 days and nights, against one of the most advanced nations in the Middle East, devastating its ancient and modern capital city; 177 million pounds of bombs falling on the people of Iraq, the most concentrated aerial onslaught in the history of the world; depleted uranium weapons incinerating people, causing cancer; blasting chemical and biological weapon storages and oil facilities; poisoning the atmosphere to a degree perhaps never matched anywhere; burying soldiers alive, deliberately; the infrastructure destroyed, with a terrible effect on health; sanctions continued to this day multiplying the health problems; perhaps a million children dead by now from all of these things, even more adults. Iraq was the strongest military power amongst the Arab states. This may have been their crime. Noam Chomsky has written: It's been a leading, driving doctrine of U.S. foreign policy since the 1940s that the vast and unparalleled energy resources of the Gulf region will be effectively dominated by the United States and its clients, and, crucially, that no independent, indigenous force will be permitted to have a substantial influence on the administration of oil production and price. Afghanistan 1979-92: Everyone knows of the unbelievable repression of women in Afghanistan, carried out by Islamic fundamentalists, even before the Taliban. But how many people know that during the late 1970s and most of the 1980s, Afghanistan had a government committed to bringing the incredibly backward nation into the 20th century, including giving women equal rights? What happened, however, is that the United States poured billions of dollars into waging a terrible war against this government, simply because it was supported by the Soviet Union. Prior to this, CIA operations had knowingly increased the probability of a Soviet intervention, which is what occurred. In the end, the United States won, and the women, and the rest of Afghanistan, lost. More than a million dead, three million disabled, five million refugees, in total about half the population. El Salvador, 1980-92: Salvador's dissidents tried to work within the system. But with U.S. support, the government made that impossible, using repeated electoral fraud and murdering hundreds of protestors and strikers. In 1980, the dissidents took to the gun, and civil war. Officially, the U.S. military presence in El Salvador was limited to an advisory capacity. In actuality, military and CIA personnel played a more active role on a continuous basis. About 20 Americans were killed or wounded in helicopter and plane crashes while flying reconnaissance or other missions over combat areas, and considerable evidence surfaced of a U.S. role in the ground fighting as well. The war came to an official end in 1992; 75,000 civilian deaths and the U.S. Treasury depleted by six billion dollars. Meaningful social change has been largely thwarted. A handful of the wealthy still own the country, the poor remain as ever, and dissidents still have to fear right-wing death squads. Haiti, 1987-94: The U.S. supported the Duvalier family dictatorship for 30 years, then opposed the reformist priest, Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Meanwhile, the CIA was working intimately with death squads, torturers and drug traffickers. With this as background, the Clinton White House found itself in the awkward position of having to pretend -- because of all their rhetoric about "democracy" -- that they supported Aristide's return to power in Haiti after he had been ousted in a 1991 military coup. After delaying his return for more than two years, Washington finally had its military restore Aristide to office, but only after obliging the priest to guarantee that he would not help the poor at the expense of the rich, and that he would stick closely to free-market economics. This meant that Haiti would continue to be the assembly plant of the Western Hemisphere, with its workers receiving literally starvation wages. [/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not to sound like a prick or anything. How does this prove anything? If anything it sounds like propaganda from YOU. Your reasons sound like someone's speculations on what the U.S. does rather than hard evidence. All you are doing is tracing a country's current history back until you find U.S. involvment and then blaming all thier problems on us. Guess what? I bet if you followed thier history back a little further you would still see that they had problems and that most likely, we helped them when they were in dire need. People tend to go bad, it's a sad thing, dont' blame all the world's problems on the U.S. because they were nice enough to throw money at everyone who asked. Prove to us that we "installed puppets" instead of helping a gov't out. All i am reading are "complex set of events", "installed puppets", and "murdered protesters". Doesn't that sound like a very biased language to you? If you can't explain it, or it explains the U.S.'s position look good, you don't state it, you make it "a very complex set of events". If the U.S. helps a country hold elections, they "install puppets", if some people that we had helped out in the past decide to kill people in the future, the U.S. "murdered them" The U.S. provides the most money to help fund the United Nations, does that mean if one of those nations decides to go crazy that the U.S. is to blame? I don't think so.

I don't mean to offend Chez, but there was so much biased language in your post that i couldn't even read it all. It reminded me too much of all the flyers full of propaganda that North Korea drops on South Korea trying to convince them that North Korea is a happy place with a lot of food and wealth, while on the other hand North Korea is appealing to the U.S. for help to feed thier people because they spend all thier money on developing nuclear power plants to "provide power"

Of course the U.S. was/is involved in alotta crap, they are the big kids on the block. But they also involved in the most efforts toward peace and advancement. You will almost always find that with the most powerful countries.

------------------
"Tracer fire works both ways"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:09 am

Dang it, i made a mistake, i got involved in a politics discussion...i knew i shouldn't have read any of this crap. =P

------------------
"Tracer fire works both ways"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:31 am

hmm id better go search google to find some propaganda i can cut and paste in order to refute the propaganda that cherzra cut and pasted.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:29 am

Sure. Propaganda huh? Guess you just can't justify your foreign policy. It's ok for you to invade other countries, assassinate leaders and thwart elections, after all you're the infallible USA. But woe should anyone else do so.
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Krogenar:<B>
Let's define terrorism: terrorism is a method of combat that does not target soldiers, but by its very nature selects civilians, and those unprepared to fight, as their sole targets. (Military people, feel free to expand or correct me.)

Again, show me your evidence. I completely agree that the opinion you're pointing out is widespread in the world.

Cite an example of when Israel or the U.S. has deliberately attacked civilians. A suspected terrorist is not a civilian, mind you - a terrorist is a combatant.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The easiest and most widely known case is WWII with Japan. There is no doubt in anybodys mind that this was deliberate and that a while lot of civilians would die. The war would have been over shortly even if they had not dropped the bombs. Furthermore, I guarentee that the second one didn't need to be dropped. The US government already made there point. Just turn on the History channel to see your needed proof that I am not on crack.

While Israel might say it doesn't target civilians specifically, hitting a suspected terrorist at all cost such as killing all the civilians around him is just wrong. Israel lost my support when they started shooting women and children just being out of there house. Preventing women in labor from reaching the hospital. IT JUST MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL thinking of the horrible things they have done in the name of trying to stop terrorism. I have heard a 1st hand account of some of this. Is it wrong to not want my nation to follow in there footsteps? After all. Look how well there tactics work. They repress the Palistinians, dehumanize them, bomb them and raid there living spaces and yet the hatred and attacks against Israel continue to grow. Again I say is this much different then the terrorist them selves? Stop being self obsorbed and follow the golden rule. Our acts of terrorism makes other people in other coutries just as mad at us as what happened on sept. 11 made us angry.
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:18 pm

[For the sake of people with slow computers, I won't quote chezra's HUGE 'USA badness list' ... your welcome! Image]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by combatmedic:
not to sound like a prick or anything. How does this prove anything? If anything it sounds like propaganda from YOU.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually combatmedic, what chezra posted is propaganda. He's a raging communist most likely. What Stalin referred to as 'useful idiots.' No offense Chezra, I'm sure you mean well, but you're mistaken.

The page that Chezra took that landslide of information from can be found at: http://www.ncpn.nl/archief/vs-inter/vs-our01.htm which, if you follow the url backwards http://www.ncpn.nl you will discover is a communist website.

Communism is capitalized at the beginning of this sentence for only one reason: proper grammar. Communism, in my opinion should be properly spelled as 'communism' since it's every attempted incarnation on the planet has failed. Communism is a system based on altruism, and as such, is doomed to failure.

Now, back to my 'useful idiots' comment.
During the Cold War, there were many people in America who opposed the U.S.'s resistance to the spread of Communism. Stalin, the ruler of the U.S.S.R. at the time, referred to these people as 'useful idiots.'

These Cold War era peacniks scoffed at the idea that communists wanted to spread their oppressive form of government to all corners of the globe. The Soviets themselves openly stated that that was not their goal ... knowing all along that it was. If you'd like to learn more about the failures of Europeans (and some Americans) to resist tyrants, go to the link below and make your own decision.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/562823/posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>
money at everyone who asked. Prove to us that we "installed puppets" instead of helping a gov't out.</B>
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Combatmedic, we don't need another avalanche of information from chezra! It's true, the U.S. has installed governments - maybe not 'puppet' governments, but we have pushed people towards democracy. Imagine this situation: We've just spent the time, money and American lives to keep the communists out of a country. Can we just get in our helicopters and fly off, as the communists (or tyrants) just run back into the country to set up shop again? No. So we organize elections, and what not. People who hate America often like to point this out. Communists would do the same thing - except that their system doesn't work. So just take that part of Chezra's argument as a given - we have set up government's in the past. In Chezra's view, we did it so we could (aha!!) create an economy with these people, and take their stuff (aha!). From my point of view, we set up democratic control in these countries for the benefit of the people who live there! Everyone's perspective is different. Had the Soviets removed the Taliban from Afghanistan, and proceeded to set up a new politburro in Kabul, a communist would believe that the best interests of the Afghani people were being serviced.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">All i am reading are "complex set of events", "installed puppets", and "murdered protesters". Doesn't that sound like a very biased language to you?</font>

I agree with you combatmedic, the language in those excerpts displays a bold factual ineptitude. Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B>
If you can't explain it, or it explains the U.S.'s position look good, you don't state it, you make it "a very complex set of events". If the U.S. helps a country hold

Wow, combatmedic, you nailed it again!
The omission of data is a good way to add the proper slant to a story. This list of information is meant to buttress an existing opinion, not convince someone with an array of objective data.

The U.S. provides the most money to help fund the United Nations, </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well..... sorta. We do provide most of the military power, and we host the location of the United Nations here in New York City, and we do let the diplomats park wherever the hell they like. But we haven't paid our dues in years. And frankly, I don't think we should. The U.N. gets a lot more out of the deal than we do.

I don't mean to offend Chez, but there was so much biased language in your post that i couldn't even read it all. It reminded me too much of all the flyers full of propaganda that North Korea drops on South Korea trying to convince them that North Korea is a happy place with a lot of food and wealth, while on the other hand North Korea is appealing to the U.S. for help to feed thier people because they spend all thier money on developing nuclear power plants to "provide power"

Combatmedic, I wouldn't worry about offending communists, that's basically their function in life. While capitalists run about improving their lot in life, and of those around them, communists sit in coffee houses, drinking double-whipped latte frappuchinio with madagascar cinammon sticks, adjusting their kicky little berets, and lamenting the state of the world.

Then someone stands on stage, and does a performance piece, ending with the statement: 'So I take my RAGE!!! and wrap it up in a little box, and take it out with the TRASH!!!' (bows) 'Thank you.'
Then everyone does a little golf clap, and gushes about it.

Anyway, that's my opinion on communism.

------------------
- Krogenar
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:26 pm

I see you're just like Corth. You simply waive it aside and dismiss it as unworthy of an answer.

Maybe it's because you don't have one, or because when you start to think about it you realize your government has been doing the very things they are now lashing out at other countries for - and then some.

Regardless of what website it is from, the points are valid. In your eyes there is only absolute truth, and that is of course your own.

I'm still eagerly awaiting your answers on why what YOU do and did the past 50 years is just, and when others do it it isn't. Why it is ok for you to invade other sovereign countries, and not for Iraq. Why it is ok for you to thwart elections, and then point fingers at other regimes. Why you think you can freely attempt to assassinate leaders that don't follow your every whim, or threaten your position in a certain part of the world.

It's called hypocrisy. Arrogance. And refusing to see it, is called blindness.
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:38 pm

The easiest and most widely known case is WWII with Japan. There is no doubt in anybodys mind that this was deliberate and that a while lot of civilians would die. The war would have been over shortly even if they had not dropped the bombs. Furthermore, I guarentee that the second one didn't need to be dropped. The US government already made there point. Just turn on the History channel to see your needed proof that I am not on crack.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow.
I heard that same argument all throughout college, and continue to hear it today. The U.S. had every right to drop those two nukes on Japan. They attacked us at Pearl Harbor. You point out that the war would have been over soon, and that the dropping of both nukes was gratuitous - we just felt like doing it for the sake of the carnage.

This is revisionist history at its worst. The U.S. military at the time expected heavy, heavy resistance from Japan - and not just from their army, from the general populace. Remember all the stories of Japanese men coming out of caves years after the war was over? They were holed up there in the mountains, waiting!

Also... why should America fight with such compassionate regard for its enemies? If you pick a fight with me, expect me to strike as hard as I possibly can, as often as I can, until you're a bloody heap on the floor. That having been said, don't pick a fight with me.

An American general must value the lives of his own soldiers as greater than the lives of the enemy. Should we risk 100,000 soldiers, or drop a single bomb? I wouldn't wring my hands over it. That's an easy choice.

Am I GLAD that two Japanese cities had to be nuked? No, I don't dance about it - but it was necessary to save American lives, so that justifies it. These decisions have to be viewed 'in situ' - from the perspective of the people that were there. Not with perfect hindsight, from our comfy chairs here in the future.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">[b]While Israel might say it doesn't target civilians specifically, hitting a suspected terrorist at all cost such as killing all the civilians around him is just wrong.[b]</font>

Ok, Abue, when did this happen? If the Israelis wanted to 'hit a suspected terrorist at all costs' why don't they just level all the homes of the Palestinians? Or just kill them all? The Israelis do have the firepower to do it. But so far, despite all of what you're saying, they haven't.

Any country that allows terrorists to continue to exist in their country is showing restraint. If they had no restraint, as you claim, there would be no Palestinians in Israel - they'd be dead.

The burden of civility and humanity rest solely on the Western Powers. The terrorists and other America-bashers can DELIBERATELY kill innocent non-combatants.

Everyone loves an underdog, apparently.

------------------
- Krogenar
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 2:50 pm

<B>Should we risk 100,000 soldiers, or drop a single bomb? I wouldn't wring my hands over it. That's an easy choice.

It wasn't as simple as '100000 own soldiers or bomb?'.

The war was effectively over. There was no need for it other than to flex your muscles towards the Soviets. And you did not drop one, you dropped two.

<B>
Am I GLAD that two Japanese cities had to be nuked? No, I don't dance about it - but it was necessary to save American lives, so that justifies it. These decisions have to be viewed 'in situ' - from the perspective of the people that were there. Not with perfect hindsight, from our comfy chairs here in the future.

Like it was necessary to burn Dresden down to the ground a few days before the Germans surrendered, killing a hundred thousand in a city that held NO military or industrial targets and was therefor flooded with refugees? Just for good measure you went back twice to bomb it again after half a day, so you could kill as many of those from the surrounding cities who had come to the aid of those poor people. Again in a show to impress the Russians. Nice work.
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:08 pm

I see you're just like Corth. You simply waive it aside and dismiss it as unworthy of an answer.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't dismiss it. I just know that you cut and pasted it directly to the page. Even if I picked each individual incident apart, you'd still never (a) have the factual information of your own to debate seriously, or (b) you'd never be convinced that you could be mistaken.

As for being like Corth, I don't even know him, but I'm sensing he's one smart, charismatic bastard, probably even downright sexy.
Just like me.

Tell me, which woman wouldn't want to roll around in a big pile of capitalist cash? Or, she can hang with a communist, and roll around in lint.

Maybe it's because you don't have one, or because when you start to think about it you realize your government has been doing the very things they are now lashing out at other countries for - and then some.

Don't have what? An opinion? .. I don't think anyone who's read my last posts would believe I don't have an opinion.

Regardless of what website it is from, the points are valid. In your eyes there is only absolute truth, and that is of course your own. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. The points are not necessarily valid. And the site it comes from does cast a negative light on their veracity. Communism is a 'massive colossal failure'(can't find the code for the little 'tm' symbol) and should continue to rot on the ash heap of history.

Absolute truth, I believe, is discernable.
I also believe that the universe is not a freak accident. Call me crazy if you want, that's cool with me. Image

Why it is ok for you to invade other sovereign countries, and not for Iraq.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We invade other countries to defend out interests, and when we leave (we do eventually leave) we try to leave the place in better shape than when we arrived. In Europe, there was the Marshall Plan - we rebuilt Europe. In Afghanistan, we're doing the same - doesn't sound like a maniacal tyrant, does it?

Iraq, on the other hand, invaded Kuwait, and when forced to leave lit the oil wells on fire! It took several years and some ingenuity to put them out. This is the act of a cowardly dictator. Saddam tortures people in his palace, while his people starve in the streets.

To equivocate Saddam Hussein with the United States, in any way, is stupidity so bold, it stuns any rational person.

Cherzra, (I'm sincerely sorry I called you 'Cherza', sorry for the mispelling.) you sound incredibly bitter. I know its difficult seeing your 'enemy' flourish and grow stronger. Frankly, you're groping for some evidence, some shred of fact upon which you can balance your insance beliefs. With each new success, Capitalism continues to drive home the stupidity and arrogance of your failed system of government. Communism never worked, and never will. It's a charming theory, and makes for interesting reading... it ... just... doesn't... work.

Well, it can work, but it requires a draconian government to quell people's natural tendency to compete, and improve themselves.

All Hail Capitalism! Buy cars! Eat at expensive restaurants! Buy ugly pants and wear them at golf courses! Shower your wife and children with lavish gifts! Start your own business and become financially independent! Follow your dreams, damn the government! Drive from state to state without having to show identification papers!

Sorry... I'm just being silly now. Image

------------------
- Krogenar
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:11 pm

<B> We invade other countries to defend our interests

Thank you, that was all I needed to hear.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:50 pm

Happily, Cherzra, our interests are usually benevolent and coincide with what is in the interest of the civilized world.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 6:02 pm

Suuure... just ask the rest of the civilized world why they think your foreign policy reeks a mile in the wind. The politicians won't admit to it but almost everyone else will. Keep dreaming though Image
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Oct 02, 2002 8:27 pm

http://www.politicalstrikes.com/.images/ps735.jpg

http://www.politicalstrikes.com/.images/ps729.jpg

http://www.politicalstrikes.com/.images/ps716.jpg

http://www.politicalstrikes.com/.images/ps695.jpg

Also, play the "Pretend that you are GW Bush Jr!" game, it's hilarious!

http://www.politicalstrikes.com/y01.html

Blah who disabled images... made them links instead.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 10-02-2002).]
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:15 pm

Krogenar,
I thought was you wrote was kinda heading personal. Let's try to keep this clean. I'm fairly certain that Cherzra hasn't claimed to be a Communist. The list he posted is obviously slanted unfavorable to the US. A pro-communist web site would be an excellent place to find such a list. Good hunting Cherzra.
I also disagree with Krogenar on "We invade other countries to defend our interests". I think a more accurate statement would be we defend and support countries, governments, and people who share our interests. A big problem with this is the fact that our interests change over time. Our support waxes and wanes.

Cherzra,
I agree with you that a diplomatic solution to Japan's surrender was within reach, and should have been reached. For this I blame Truman for not including Stimson's recommendations in the Potsdam Proclamation. Truman was an idiot for not taking the advice. I also blame Japan's 'Big Six' for their refusal of the proclamation because it did not explicitly hold the Emperor blameless and to maintain their precious military honor.
If the Soviets were the reason for Truman's decision, it was a poor one. If a diplomatic soltions could have been reached before Russia had moved into now North Korea, the korean war might not have happened. Maybe the attacks frightened Russia's atomic bomb program into high gear and helped to bring about the Cold War.
The one consoladation I can see is what the bombing of Japan tought the world. The world learned what terrible weapons atomic bombs are at a time when the weapons were realitivity weak. Like the child that gets splattered a little by cooking bacon, knows better than to pull the deep-fat-frier down from the stove.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:25 pm

Krogenar who are you on the mud? i wanna talk to you
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:33 pm

<B>Krogenar,
I thought was you wrote was kinda heading personal. Let's try to keep this clean. I'm fairly certain that Cherzra hasn't claimed to be a Communist.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologize. I love tweaking communists, and the French. Just a hobby of mine. For the record, though, Cherzra didn't DENY being a commie either. Image

And his entire post was cut-and-pasted from a communist website - so - I guess that was a crazy assumption of mine. Who even knew that there was a communist organization in the Netherlands!?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> The list he posted is obviously slanted unfavorable to the US. A pro-communist web site would be an excellent place to find such a list. Good hunting Cherzra.</font>

Heheheh - good hunting?! You found some hopelessly biased information on the web, well done! I'm being sarcastic of course, it probably required some skill to find it using a search engine. But I wonder if Chezra has it already bookmarked? The world may never now.... (insert X-Files theme song)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><B> I also disagree with Krogenar on "We invade other countries to defend our interests". I think a more accurate statement would be we defend and support countries, governments, and people who share our interests. A big problem with this is the fact that our interests change over time. Our support waxes and wanes.

That's true. Invasions make up a relatively small portion of our meddling in international affairs. And sure, why not support people who share our interests in freedom, democracy and capitalism - oh, and preventing the spread of that noxious ideological cancer: communism. But that was a few years ago, back when it was alive.

And I find no problem with shifting our alliances to achieve our unshifting goals. If Israel were to suddenly invade, say, Belgium - you could bet that our alliance with them would seriously shift.

If your allies goals change, the relationship needs to be re-evaluated. Say the new government in Afghanistan turns sour, and decides to become tyrannical... well, we may be going back some day I guess.

Where's the problem with that?

Cherzra,
I agree with you that a diplomatic solution to Japan's surrender was within reach, and should have been reached. For this I blame Truman for not including Stimson's recommendations in the Potsdam Proclamation. Truman was an idiot for not taking the advice. I also blame Japan's 'Big Six' for their refusal of the proclamation because it did not explicitly hold the Emperor blameless and to maintain their precious military honor.
If the Soviets were the reason for Truman's decision, it was a poor one. If a diplomatic soltions could have been reached before Russia had moved into now North Korea, the korean war might not have happened. Maybe the attacks frightened Russia's atomic bomb program into high gear and helped to bring about the Cold War.
The one consoladation I can see is what the bombing of Japan tought the world. The world learned what terrible weapons atomic bombs are at a time when the weapons were realitivity weak. Like the child that gets splattered a little by cooking bacon, knows better than to pull the deep-fat-frier down from the stove.

See? Now that's the sort of use of real facts I look forward to! Thank you Rausrh, for giving us all a more accurate picture.

There were mistakes made on all sides of the conflict - but it's easy for us to look back, with all the facts before us, and second guess the participants. We can say that Truman should have known better. We can say that the Japanese Military should have thought more of their people's lives, than their honor, etc., etc.

I think America, in a time of war, had the right to use force in whatever way they saw fit. Nice response, Rausrh, thank you!

------------------
- Krogenar
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
Krogenar who are you on the mud? i wanna talk to you</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm .... Krogenar, on the mud. I just made it to level 2 the other night. What do you want to talk about? Image

Actually, you're not the first person who wanted to continue this discussion privately. I've been called a dipshit twice already by someone I'd never met before.
Freedom of speech does not provide freedom from consequences!

If you want to talk politics, ask me why I'm such a knob, etc. - let's talk about it here, not on the mud, okay?

------------------
- Krogenar

[This message has been edited by Krogenar (edited 10-03-2002).]
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:14 pm

It's more on religion, since i'm not very well versed in politics.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:02 am

Interesting! Arab politics are much more complicated then I could ever imagine. This article does a great job explaining how the arab governments feel about a regime change in Iraq. It seems that the arabs countries are tacitly in favor of removing Hussein. Funny how the Europeans, who don't have to live next door, are so against it. Interesting...

http://www.arabnews.com/Article.asp?ID=18955&ArY=2002&ArM=9&ArD=28

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”