L33tness: What IS Elite?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Maeli
Sojourner

L33tness: What IS Elite?

Postby Maeli » Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:32 am

Okay kiddies Philosphy time.

What is L33t?
Being elite, what does this word mean to you in mud terms?

Looks ot me like it means different things to different people. Some people even consider it somewhat derogatory. So time to ask peoples opinions on it.
What makes someone l33t?

To me it is an attitude, an outlook. I'll explain further if the thread goes anywhere.
This isn't a flame, this is an asking of opinions. Anyone care to share?
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:01 am

You have the ability to lead people, and they want to follow. You know not only where to go, but how to get there. You know not only what to do, but many ways to do it. When someone asks a question, you have an answer (you are not obligated to give).

An attitude, yes . . . but it is also a 'state' I think. See Corth, Dornax, and Touk's posts on leadership here.

------------------
The wardens of the cage disallow all commands except say, petition, project and help
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Oct 17, 2002 10:01 am

hrm l33tness is tough
i always thought of it as being the best...having the best eq, doing all the hardest zones, and having the most skills at your class. For example, my class, warrior...for the goodies, l33t is Dhurn
For the evils, l33t is Turg

Unfortunately, eliteness also has the connotation of being selfish, self-righteous, and self-serviant here. Many people who are viewed as "elite" are thought of as assholes, because they dont like to share information, and sometimes wont group with other people because they dont know their role well enough to be effective.
The best way to describe it is eliteness is being the best, and knowing it. This is not to be confused with acting like your better than other people, which it often is. elite people know what they can do, but also know their limitations.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:52 am

I always thought being elite meant you were a guard in WD. J/K Image
Being elite I guess my definition would be that they have good eq, know the quests, know the zones, AND help out their fellow mudder. I guess I'm the most un-elite there is except the last part about helping out.

------------------
Musi "Desperate to get ress" Ailis
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:26 pm

l33t (leet) a. Cool.

-Gerad Image

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:17 pm

i think some see it as selfish greedy bastards who gag/ignore people or dont help others or think they are above everyone else, or someone is not good enough to zone with them

and others see it as the best players who know there class very very well, as well as the roles of those in the groups with them, and have good - great eq/knowledge, who help almost every time *most cant help EVERY time rl stuff* :P

------------------
MoM-D
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:28 pm

l33t? i dont know nothing bout being l33t, i am pure an innocent Image

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:15 pm

Being elite is more than equipment. Anybody can eventually get equipment, simply through time and trading.

To me, being elite is actually nothing about equipment. It's just lines of ansi that enhance what you can do. Being elite is part what Maeli said, an attitude or outlook. But it's a mindset too - a knowledge of the game that allows you to react to situations without hesitation or doubt about if it's the right thing to do.

It's the warrior who knows and recognizes that when a ghast walks in on a fight in CC, his bash target has shifted.

It's the cleric who snaps a quick heal on the rogue who just got half killed by a riposte.

The enchanter who relocates back into a fight where he died, so that he can toss a dscales on the tank and then drag his carcass out.

The ability to adapt to situations, to remain effective in adversity, and the ability to innovate around the current parameters of a situation if what makes somebody elite.

The equipment comes in time.

Sylvos Winteraven
Chandigar2
Sojourner

Postby Chandigar2 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:48 pm

Hrm.. for me being L33T has a totally negative connotation.

It immediately brings to mind 12 year olds who can't type in complete sentences and/or words (ie the way L33T itself is written), running around in quake blasting each other, pkillers spanking noobs etc etc. All actions that people do that give them a feeling of superiority, ie being L33T.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:53 pm

I look at l33t in a humorous way.

For In Nomine, I even wrote up the Angel of 0wn4g3 and the Demon of 1337.

Be assured that I don't have any plans to sic them on the players anytime soon.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:03 pm

todrael can u post the address of the post on the topic?

to make it relevance.

elite is being hung like a horse.

sok, not yet elite but hoping the pump (eq) will make him elite.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:32 pm

Doing a search for 'elite' in general discussion to figure out wtf Sok was talking about, I just thought it would be funny to mention that fully 80% of the posts within the last 5 months containing the word 'elite' were posted by Dartan.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:34 pm

Eq doesn't make you elite. Doing the hardest zones doesn't make you elite. Having tons of skills doesn't make you elite (character and player). Being elite is all about the person behind the character. I know more then a few people who aren't the best mudders but I'll call them l33t before I call people who are stacked out their ass and have tons of experience and skills.

Who to me is the most elite person on this mud? Touk.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Todrael:
<B>Doing a search for 'elite' in general discussion to figure out wtf Sok was talking about, I just thought it would be funny to mention that fully 80% of the posts within the last 5 months containing the word 'elite' were posted by Dartan.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rofl it's not even 80% and it's b/c of my erevan quote signature.

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvos:
<B>
The enchanter who relocates back into a fight where he died, so that he can toss a dscales on the tank and then drag his carcass out.

Sylvos Winteraven</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isma did this in smoke invasion once. The laughs never ended Image

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
Iyachtu OOC: 'and a lovely nite it is :)'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:36 pm

Todrael, he's referring to that longass thread on "what is elite" that was hashed over sometime early in the wipe.

I imagine my opinions haven't changed since then. I don't consider anybody "elite" over anybody else, really. There's nice people and there's jerkwads. I'd follow Gormal anywhere, even though he has all those totally gormalian quirks, just because he's a decent guy and lots of fun. Touk's a great guy and a great leader, but even if he sucked as a leader I'd still follow him because of his personality. If he was a great leader and an inconsiderate buttmunch, however, 9 out of 10 times I'd have other things to do when he asked.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
Todrael, he's referring to that longass thread on "what is elite" that was hashed over sometime early in the wipe.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't find anything about being elite that wasn't full of drivel and flames, so I didn't post any links.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu Oct 17, 2002 9:19 pm

L33t is when you fart and no one says anything. That is l33tness.

Toarn -I only fart in silence-
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:29 pm

To me, what makes someone elite is ambition. A desire to improve is critical since there are so many ways to enhance your abilities. Equipment, character skills, player skills, knowledge, etc. all are different things people can acquire or enhcance to make themselves better. Simply put, what makes someone elite is a burning desire to be that way.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Wuva
Sojourner

Postby Wuva » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keran:
<B>L33t is when you fart and no one says anything. That is l33tness.

Toarn -I only fart in silence-</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dayum even the deaf cant escape that!

------------------
Wuva *Wildchild* EagleBlade
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:55 am

133t hm... skills, eq, das only partially it.
like people said. with time and enough playing, u can get eq and "skill" personally, i thinkskill lvl isn't like it is as it used to be. not hard to set up triggers to bash certain mobs when they walk in, all u need to know is which mobs are aggro casters and trigger will do the rest. nothing hard about dat. so personally, skill and eq is not the core. rather who u are and how you treat people in game.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Fri Oct 18, 2002 5:02 am

Did u know brunnhildes getting married?
or she was, until mogr bodyslammed her in the middle of the conversation Image
-G

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:18 am

Your not elite if

1. the only zones you know are WD elites, dk exp, BGR, and ship.
2. You don't know what to expect in most zones and most fights.
3. You have to ask the same question more than once and or can't make logical applications of the knowledge you already have (bashing the same !bash mob 3 or 4 times in a row is a good indicator that your not l33t).
4. you think a zone is 2 hours of listening to the leader bark some orders while thinking about what to bid on in split.
5. your idea of CR is sit around for 40 minutes and spam the leader with questions about how the CR is going, and why they need to hurry up so you can go.
6. your name rhymes with nermal or saboak?
7. sitting around pondering what is elite rather than just playing the game how you want for what you want.

------------------
------
where ara you my rittle raabuuri
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Oct 18, 2002 3:27 pm

Malar, d2, Cerlayne, Exarn, Azzzmohazzz, GRULDY, Turg, Kribble, Mishri, Kossuth, Xisiqomelir, Turxx, Gnerblie, Yayaril, Hoppil, Gurns, Ensis, Lazus, Lasar, Aedwyn, Targsk, Shevarash, KIaransalee, Laduguer, Lirathal, Lar, Daz, Kytlan, Arishae, Salen, Twyl, Mohdig, Corth, Iaiken, Sszantiel, Kasula, Miax, Thanuk, Dartan, Cisa, Xisiqomelir, Galzar, Cardolan, Xyr, Ssikin, Gormal, Gogk, Glorishan, Ushug, Meral Gaffelmeister, and that's my OOC FAV's LIST (btw there is no order altho Yayaril is king of oOc).

------------------
Leah A. W.

Golnol jumps into muma's arms and gives her a kiss on the cheek

Yonkle OOC: 'Sometimes ooc sounds like Sleep Deprivation Anonymous.' <-- ROFL
Ythera OOC: 'Her pink can fly forth and sting the neck of a cobra, causing it instant death before it can even realize what the blur of motion in the air in front of it is!'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>Your not elite if

7. sitting around pondering what is elite rather than just playing the game how you want for what you want.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So since you posted in this thread....

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:28 am

elite is knowing where jessica alba lives and not stalking her.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Oct 19, 2002 1:31 am

now i will stalk sok til he tells me.

------------------
The wardens of the cage disallow all commands except say, petition, project and help
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:02 am

L33t is when 5 of us scrambled to save everyone else's ass (after the other 10 died) and proceeded to do half of seer kings. L33t is what happens in those moments when you work with others without using gsays or tells or any communication, and getting shit done. L33t is working as a TEAM!

[This message has been edited by gordex (edited 10-19-2002).]
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Oct 19, 2002 11:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muma:
Malar, d2, Cerlayne, Exarn, Azzzmohazzz, GRULDY, Turg, Kribble, Mishri, Kossuth, Xisiqomelir, Turxx, Gnerblie, [b]Yayaril, Hoppil, Gurns, Ensis, Lazus, Lasar, Aedwyn, Targsk, Shevarash, KIaransalee, Laduguer, Lirathal, Lar, Daz, Kytlan, Arishae, Salen, Twyl, Mohdig, Corth, Iaiken, Sszantiel, Kasula, Miax, Thanuk, Dartan, Cisa, Xisiqomelir, Galzar, Cardolan, Xyr, Ssikin, Gormal, Gogk, Glorishan, Ushug, Meral Gaffelmeister, and that's my OOC FAV's LIST (btw there is no order altho Yayaril is king of oOc).

[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's OOC?

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:33 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gordex:
<B>L33t is when 5 of us scrambled to save everyone else's ass (after the other 10 died) and proceeded to do half of seer kings. L33t is what happens in those moments when you work with others without using gsays or tells or any communication, and getting shit done. L33t is working as a TEAM!

[This message has been edited by gordex (edited 10-19-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

holy shit gordo, your talking bout the good old days Image

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Maeli
Sojourner

Postby Maeli » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:50 pm

*agree thanuk* This thread was ust meant for philosphy and fun, but do feel free to flame if you must.

At any rate, I started this thread after reading Daz's post to the story board and it got me to thinking. I know I know don't do that I might hurt myself.

To me being elite is the people with the best attitudes. the ones that are here to have fun, the ones that do whatever they can to help others and get newbies addicted to this mud. They are the people whom, when you say "are you free? I need a hand." come running to help, even if its a cr cause you walked into Air Plane (oops)They might be laughin but they still help.

Its not knowledge, its the willingness to learn more and keep learning.. wanting to be good at what you do.

Its not a drive to be better then anyone else, but rather a drive to be the best you can at what you enjoy doing.

I've got a long way to go before i'm even a reasonable rogue. I don't have what it takes to be a decent mage, (kudos for the enchanters and invokers that keep at it!)
But you know what? I have fun, and trying the other classes gives me respect for the trials they endure. (oi bash lag) Learning growing... and having fun.
that is elite to me.

Maeli Varna

("Heck I'm still learning to be a good druid!" -Brightstar)

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”