You too can see the light!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Oct 03, 2002 12:09 am

Moritheil:

Consider that the christian God is supposed to be perfectly compassionate. Would a compassionate God punish something for something they could not control?

Arases and Moja:

Ok, that is what I would have expected from a truly compassionate God. But, let's go further with this concept. What about a person who had grown up with a set of beliefs, but had been introduced by missionaries to Christianity later in life. His entire life was spent with the old beliefs, and he did not feel right about subscribing to these missionaries. But he had lived his entire life correct to his beliefs... would he get into Heaven?

EDIT: HAHA! 8 pages. Take that most responses thread! Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.

[This message has been edited by Sarvis (edited 10-02-2002).]
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Oct 03, 2002 2:53 am

Only God can change someone's heart. It not my job to do it. All I have do is share the Gospel. If the Gospel doesn't break your heart then I sorry.

Something I want to point out. Within the Christian faith no one is worth of salvation. It is God's grace that saves. So will that person raise that way, etc, etc, this scenerio, that scenerio, I dont know. God is the perfect judge. Since any sin will cause eternal separation from God, everyone will be separate.

Within the Bible the Death, Burial, and Resurrection of Christ is the way toward salvation. You need to accept the blood that Jesus shed will cover up all your sin. Also that Jesus was Buried and was Resurrect on the third day, which meant Jesus conquer death.

Once you accept Jesus as Savior, then you must move to accept Jesus as Lord of your life.

Sarvis basically that's what that person was told. Now it's up to him to chose. It's not my place to chose for him. Base on what I told you, I'm sure you can come up with your own conclusion. I'm not going to argue with you if it's fair or not. I'm not the one making rules. If you believe that the God of the Christian faith is a bastard, then thats what you believe.
Arases
Sojourner

Postby Arases » Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Ok, that is what I would have expected from a truly compassionate God. But, let's go further with this concept. What about a person who had grown up with a set of beliefs, but had been introduced by missionaries to Christianity later in life. His entire life was spent with the old beliefs, and he did not feel right about subscribing to these missionaries. But he had lived his entire life correct to his beliefs... would he get into Heaven? </font>

This is a bit iffy. I am not well versed enough in my religion to judge on whether such a person would or would not be permitted into Heaven. However, I can say this. It is not a definite thing that he wouldn't be allowed into Heaven.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>Moritheil:

Consider that the christian God is supposed to be perfectly compassionate. Would a compassionate God punish something for something they could not control?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Christian view is that God is supposed to be just as well. If you honestly couldn't control it... well that gets into a can of worms. Can you say 'I can't help it, I just can't believe?' Can you say 'I can't help it, I can't quit (insert addiction here)?' To what extent are we responsible for our own actions? Where is the cosmic dividing line drawn?

Noone knows.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:14 pm

Edit: I should add that, since noone knows, the point is to do your best. I am NOT saying that since noone knows we should all roll over and die Image Only do that when you consent me ingame.

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 10-03-2002).]
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:38 pm

I've spoken at length with 'Born Again' Christians, and most of them are very compassionate and caring.

The way they explained it to me (and it makes sense) - if you accept Christ as your savior, you WILL enter into Heaven.

So, let's say you spent your life maliciously butchering small children, are eventually caught, and put on death row. If you truly (in your heart) accept Christ, you will get into Heaven, despite your past actions.

Raised as a Roman Catholic, I sort of had the basic view that 'good works' were required to get into Heaven; that there was some sort of supernatural accounting system performed at the entrance to Heaven.

St. Michael: "Ok, you donated to Green Peace, yeah."
Krogenar: (smiles hopefully)
St. Michael: Wait... you had lewd thoughts while reading the 'African' issue of a 'National Geographic' magazine! (frowns)
Krogenar: "Oh c'mon! I just turned the page, and there were - you know - just THERE."
St. Michael: (checks list) AND you fell asleep in church (calculates) 800 TIMES.

And so on. I don't think it works that way. If you truly believe in Christ, you'll get into Heaven. While this would seem grossly unfair to someone who has done horrible things, and then become a Christian while walking down the hallway to the electric chair... it isn't.

These born again Christians described to me (scoff if you like) of a sort of epiphany, once they realized Christ's love for them. At that point, they also realized a feeling of horror at their previous misdeeds.

If you follow this line of thinking, the epiphany that a mass murderer would feel would be equally ecstatic and horrific, when he (or she!) realized the full effects of their murders.

Now, knowing what you know about Christ, you would be compelled to do good works. Not for the sake of some celestial accounting system, but because your heart compels you to do them.

The other side is interesting too.
My name is Inigtukuk, I live in a vast wilderness. I don't have many neighbors, but those that I do have, I treat well. Everything I do is basically Christian. But I've never heard of Christ. Can't even spell his name. Does this mean I can't get into heaven?

According to most Christians, poor Inigtukuk will not get into Heaven. Sometimes they make up other supernatural places like 'Limbo' depending on the Christians. Limbo is a place I was told (as a Catholic) that aborted babies go. Not really deserving of hell, but 'technically' not Christian either. I've heard that praying for them eventually gets them into Heaven. This to me seems simultaneously unfair (hey! I'm a fetus, why do I have to take a number?!) and also... well - too technical for the supernatual! Is there a civil service in the afterlife? I hope not.

Regardless, Inigtukuk's and the infants supernatural dilemma are why Christians are usually so gung-ho about 'spreading the word'. From their perspective, the whole world has a deadly cancer, that they will eventually die from - and they don't even realize it! And they have the cure, and it's 100 percent free, they just have to give it to you. It's no wonder that they push their religion as much as they do.

So basically, this apparent theological paradox isn't part of some 'nyah! nyah! I get into Heaven, and all your heathen asses can just go ta Hell! Mwah-hahahahah!!!' campaign. To them, the idea of ANYONE going to hell is sad, and horrifying. Hence, they knock on your door at 9 am on a Sunday morning, and ask to talk to you.

They're a good bunch. If you disagree with them (as is your right) at least understand that they're generally very kind people.

Anyway, that's been my experience with them.

------------------
- Krogenar
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> The Christian view is that God is supposed to be just as well. If you honestly couldn't control it... well that gets into a can of worms. Can you say 'I can't help it, I just can't believe?' Can you say 'I can't help it, I can't quit (insert addiction here)?' To what extent are we responsible for our own actions? Where is the cosmic dividing line drawn?

It is written that God will punish those who break some of his commands to the 3rd generation. 3 Generations must suffer from Gods wraith because you fucked up.
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
If it were not for science, we'd still be burning witches and living in the squalid middle ages. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhmm... It was the Witchs Union that stopped this practice! Go check your local chaptor if you don't believe me. Please get your facts straight before you reply with such nonsense.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:07 pm

Abue: 3rd generation

I would explain it to you but I dont think it will do any good. Quote the scripture verse and tell me what you think it say and it meant. afterward i will comment. *hint* every action has a consequence.

---------------
From wat i understand of the Islamic faith, everyone is bored Muslin. You are no longer a muslin when you reject islam. The way to get to heaven is your good deeds must outweight your bad deeds. If you died during a Jihad, holy war, you are guarentee entry into heaven. Unveiling Islam was a really easy book to read. If some islam has read it and want to comment on it, I would luv the insight.
Arases
Sojourner

Postby Arases » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> From wat i understand of the Islamic faith, everyone is bored Muslin. You are no longer a muslin when you reject islam. The way to get to heaven is your good deeds must outweight your bad deeds. If you died during a Jihad, holy war, you are guarentee entry into heaven. Unveiling Islam was a really easy book to read. If some islam has read it and want to comment on it, I would luv the insight. </font>

Not all Muslims are born(or bored :P) Muslims though. And yes, when someone rejects the religion he is no longer part of the religion, it still doesn't mean he cannot be permitted into heaven, according to the Islamic faith. Being a Muslim, all in itself, doesn't guarantee entry into Heaven, either. Based on HOW a person dies in a Jihad and whether or not it truly is a Jihad (btw there are 3 steps of Jihad to be taken before the final Jihad {holy war} can take place. And even in the final Jihad, there are limits and regulations in accordance to one's abilities in completing the first 3 steps), only then will they be guaranteed a place in Heaven.

Never read the book, can't really comment on it, Sok.

Oh and also another thing, Islam is not all about going to Heaven or Hell. Nor is everything solely based upon good deeds or bad but yes, doing good deeds is a way to get into Heaven but not a guaranteed way (then again, what is?). And Islam is not solely based on the Koran and the Koran alone.
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
Only God can change someone's heart. It not my job to do it. All I have do is share the Gospel. If the Gospel doesn't break your heart then I sorry.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it's your divine duty to spread the word of your god? And I assume this holy charge could reasonably be used to justify any infringement upon others' personal beliefs?

I have heard that many middle-eastern terrorists are claiming to have been given the divine duty of reclaiming lost lands and driving out foreigners at -any- cost. Does this make it acceptable to kill others, because someone has told you that your god demands it?

I recognize that the two situations are vastly different in severity of result, but the point remains that you cannot be so blind as to believe that your commandments (which you heard from a book with unknown origins that was apparently written almost 2000 years after the dawn of civilization, 4000 years ago) justify offensive action.

Do not speak down with holier-than-thou pity upon those who believe differently than you. We "lesser" beings demonstrate far more tolerance and wisdom (and therefore "christianity") than many of your own kind.

Remember, the Nazis believed Christ was with them every step of the war...

-Nikelon/Dizhes

------------------
Nobody's perfect.
I'm nobody.
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:23 am

I think that we should make religions into capitalist ventures, just like our schools...that way we can get some competition going for high-quality beliefs, because everyone knows that competition breeds quality product*.

* See also network and cable television, the music industry, the film industry, or virtually any other industry involving corporations.

The more you know...

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
Grxx
Sojourner

Postby Grxx » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:02 pm

comes around the corner to see a group of people kicking a dead horse, with nothing better to do begins kicking it himself
finds little room to kick freely and goes in search of a different dead horse, convinced if he just kicks one hard enough it will get up again
*blinded by the light*
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nikelon:
So it's your divine duty to spread the word of your god? And I assume this holy charge could reasonably be used to justify any infringement upon others' personal beliefs?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, most Christians believe that its their duty to 'spread the word' in order to save the souls of others. So at least in theory (and as some never tire of pointing out, not always in practice) Christians are acting out of a spiritual concern for others.

Can you explain what you mean by 'infringement'? Killing people doesn't seem to be a good way of converting them to your belief system. I know that sometimes Christians can be 'annoying' to some people, or appear goofy and strange - but that's no reason to hate them.

If they take up a crusade to attack you physically, then, sure - that's not right (and not really a Christian thing to do.) But don't get too triumphant. To point out an organization's or religion's past mistakes, and then declare the entire group a failure or hypocritical is ridiculous.

They have a right to speak publicly (in the U.S.) and that shouldn't be infringed upon. If you don't like it, don't listen.

Nikelon, you also pointed out that Christians ascribe to a 2,000 year old book, and scoff at that. Why? What does the age of the book have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that Christians are backwards in some way?

------------------
- Krogenar
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Fri Oct 04, 2002 12:59 pm

Most of my frustration stems from the fact that so many christians are willing to scorn and protest anything that promotes a different opinion. The Roman Catholic Church made a conerted effort to eradicate evidence of nearly all opposing religions. Former holy sites were desecrated and churchs were built on the sites. Literature that even referenced other religions in a positive light were banned and burned.

And yet, so many still have the gall to complain about the evil, corrupted nonbelievers who are forever trying to taint their poor innocent children. As was referenced in the other thread, chritians have indeed done so many good things for our world. But then, who else is left to institute these programs? Who has enough support to carry out these plans? If shamanism had become the dominant religion and eradicated all traces of christianity, then the shamans would be creating the Salvation Army.

Everyone has their right to free speech, but I cannot fathom why people would, as they have, take legal action to remove all other religous influences from their lives. Harry Potter books have been banned in several districts in Texas because they "corrupted their children with satatnic and magical influences". I suppose I became a bit overbitter, so I'll just leave at this for now.

-Nikelon/Dizhes

------------------
Nobody's perfect.
I'm nobody.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nikelon:
<B>Remember, the Nazis believed Christ was with them every step of the war...
-Nikelon/Dizhes

This is what I was hinting at when I said that God was also just. Thus my reply to Sarvis, that I can't say that just because someone believed they were doing good, they should all go into Heaven regardless of if they rejected the teachings of Christ. Presumably Hitler thought he was doing a great work of good for the 'Aryan race'.

I don't know how to answer you, though, Nike. It seems that you want someone to come down and apologize to you for every real or imagined slight that every person wearing the nametag of Christianity has imposed upon you.

Well, it's been said that every place on earth has its a-holes. I'm sorry if someone came along and made life miserable for you. Noone has the excuse to deliberately do that.

As I understand the Christian mindset, "Vengeance is mine," saith the LORD. That means that Christians are not to go prosecute people on their own, but should abide with patience and faith that God will settle things fairly in the end.

It occurs to me that we are arguing over two different things in this thread. Some people want to talk about the injuries perpetuated by some specific people in the name of religion (several religions, it would seem), and some people want to talk about the doctrines of each, and some people want to advance mathematical proofs for or against beliefs.

Let's say I am black. Let's say when you were in grade school some black kids stole your lunch money. Does that mean *all* black kids are mean spirited or larcenous no matter what they say? I think it's safe to say we would all find that absurd. Clearly, it's a failing on the part of the individuals, and you cannot judge all blacks by it.

So how come, if someone gets wronged by one person calling themselves Christian, they perpetuate this animosity towards all people calling themselves Christian?

------------------
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Fri Oct 04, 2002 10:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>I don't know how to answer you, though, Nike. It seems that you want someone to come down and apologize to you for every real or imagined slight that every person wearing the nametag of Christianity has imposed upon you.

Well, it's been said that every place on earth has its a-holes. I'm sorry if someone came along and made life miserable for you. Noone has the excuse to deliberately do that.

lol, I was thinking about the same thing as I reviewed what I wrote Image

Honestly, almost all of my rancor traces back to two areas:
1) I LOVE ancient mythology and nearly anything archaic. For some reason, the knowledge that the old Church eradicated most of what once existed regarding the ancient world just incredibly irritated me.
2) I have friends who have been physically attacked (with a knife) because they chose to follow their own beliefs.

To conclude what will hopefully be my last post, I am sorry that I sounded so bitter and stereotyping in my rants. I was raised as a christian, and I still get dragged up at 8:00 Sunday morning to go church. I know quite well that most people are genuinely kind and caring and do wish to live "like Christ". Sorry again, may this thread soon end to spare Turxx from having to coax anothe entire page of posts...

-Nikelon/Dizhes

------------------
Nobody's perfect.
I'm nobody.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:18 pm

The other two books has more of the everyday things Muslims must do. I dont remember the exact name of the book.
----
Yeah, Christians are nazi. I luv beating people up cuz they are not christians. i was the first christian in my family. i mass murder the rest of my family cuz they obviously were not christians. i'm obviously a violent person and anyone who has ever met me will confirm it. ok sarcasm over. yeah some folks are violent, are they actually christians or claim to be, do they follow what the bible say, does the bible advocate violences, are they following the example of jesus.
-----------
look folks i'm at a point where i dont care what you chose to do. you can say whatever you want. if you believe thats right.... sure..... fine.
Dulzuth
Sojourner

Postby Dulzuth » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:36 pm

For those of you who either do or do not believe in God, consider this:

If there is a God, and you live your life morally, when you die you'll win greatly, and you haven't lost anything on the way.

If there isn't a God, and you live your life morally, then you've lost nothing.

However, if there is a God, and you don't live your life morally, then you've lost everything, not to mention you've probably hurt a lot of people on the way.

For one I do believe in God, though I'd never try and Bible thump anyone =) I'm not the kind who quotes lines from a Bible or tries to convert people. I know a lot of people on here do not believe in God, and that's ok, but for those condemning religion I'm not sure about. I do agree that a lot religion is very bad. Most christain religious followers are close to fanatical. A lot of religion in the middle east is bad, etc... Some religion is good though, and helps people to live a good , moral life, and if that's wrong then I don't know what's right...

I'm Catholic, I'm sure most are thinking the great evil I know... =) My family has always been Catholic, all the way back to Italy. I don't really go to church anymore though, there are times I go though. Don't judge me because of my religion, it's not who I am.

As for priests molesting boys? yeah so... doesn't hit the headlines so big when it's a father doing the same, or a neighbour. Frankly I think most priests are corrupt and that's why I don't go to church often.

Also, Someplace it states that God gives us free will, thus he does NOT control every action we take. He created a universe that functions seemingly fine by it self, so obviously that's what it does. So when someone is murdered who was very religious, that does not make religion false, or his/her faith wasted.

Closing remark, I don't judge people by what religion they are, I'm not gonna hate you if your protestant, athiest, pegan, whatever.. I think we should be mature enough, and advanced enough to do so. Besides a lot of us all know one another, did it make any difference?

------------------
Verzul / Dulzuth - Jabbuk D'faer - Orbdrin D'oloth

[This message has been edited by Dulzuth (edited 10-04-2002).]
Nacet
Sojourner

Postby Nacet » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:13 am

Gosh.....people of Sojourn might as well not even talk on the BBS about different subjects,that involve opinions. Before you know it,you're talking about quantum (sp?) physics and then religion. Bleh.

I just read the first page,then got bored.

I'm going to go read yayarils comics again.
Burpie
Sojourner

Postby Burpie » Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:32 am

We can't let this string be outdone by Turxx!

------------------
When a mob comes along, you must kill it! Kill it good!
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:55 am

ROFL BURPIE

------------------
Leah A. W.

Golnol jumps into muma's arms and gives her a kiss on the cheek

Yonkle OOC: 'Sometimes ooc sounds like Sleep Deprivation Anonymous.' <-- ROFL
Ythera OOC: 'Her pink can fly forth and sting the neck of a cobra, causing it instant death before it can even realize what the blur of motion in the air in front of it is!'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:49 pm

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-102102jesus_wr.story

latest news. comments??

Whats amazing about the christian faith is that, we as a people did to god what zola did to the people who cared about her on the mud. God had every right to send us to hell, but instead he chose to send his son to undo the wrong.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:50 am

Ok, meant to reply a couple weeks ago but never got around to it... heh.

Here goes:

Sok:

If only God can change my heart, why doesn't he? Millions, if not trillions, of people go through their entire lives without even hearing of God... while many of us who do hear of him get the message from pedophile priests. Christianity tells us that humans are full of sin, yet the only people who can spread "God's word" are these sinful humans. How can they be trusted?

Moritheil:

A person who is taught from an early age that he must raid another village and steal a woman to be his wife will do so, while thinking it right and proper. He may kill some of the villagers in the process, as they defend their woman. All his life he has been taught nothing is wrong with this, and that it is in fact the proper way to behave. Is it then Just to punish him for murder or wifenapping?

Is it a can of worms though? A person addicted to drugs wouldn't be, because he became addicted by choosing to take drugs in the first place. (In most cases.) And as for believing, there is too damned much evidence in the world against belief for some of us to believe. I wanted to believe in a God for a long time, but I see no evidence to support that belief. So am I damned even though I try to live my life well?

Krogenar:

Interesting. So the claim is that this "epiphany" is divine in nature? If so, then why are only certain people getting them? If I had an epiphany while typing this message, it would certainly go a long way to making me stop trying to discredit Christianity and religion in general.

Of course good works to get into heaven makes sense. Especially if you are an ancient ruler trying to get your citizenry to be productive and cooperative. Making the superstitious and poorly educated public think that they will face an eternity of pain unless they donate to charity and such probably works wonders.

Sok (again): I don't have a bible handy, and have trouble deciphering it anyway... can you please explain the whole 3rd generation thing for us?

Arases:

I'm sure the whole gauranteed ticket into heaven for Jihad has no ill effects. Probably can't be used by "religious leaders" to manipulate a populace into war either. Image

Zellin:

Or maybe, just maybe, we can all stop and think everything out ourselves for a change. Maybe public discourse could concentrate on understanding the harm and the benefit in everything rather than "God's will" being brought up constantly.

Krogenar (again):

Damning an entire group because of past sins sounds pretty christian to me. Aren't we all still damned because of Eve eating the apple?

But to answer your concern, I find it hard to believe that an organization which tortured people into following their religion was somehow decent enough to leave the Bible unchanged and with it's true original content. Especially when they didn't even provide sermons or bibles in the language people spoke at the time.

I don't think Nikelon was pointing out that the Bible is 2000 years old, but that it didn't appear until 2000 years after humanity. Why wouldn't we have known about our Creator from the start?

Nikelon: Yep.

Moritheil (again):

I can't speak for Nikelon, but I have never been wronged or harmed in any way by any christian. But the history of the religion and many of the things they do (and attempt to do) today leave a horrid taste in my mouth. Banning books such as Nikelon said, trying to force Christian prayer in schools while disallowing other religions, not caring about the wilderness because "God created it for us to use." There are many faults I see in the religion itself, while many of the people who believe do seem to be decent people. However, is there any reason to expect these people to be less decent if there were no Christianity? I doubt it.

Also, your analogy is slightly flawed. A more proper analogy would be if the black kid who stole your lunch became the principle at the school, and started teaching everyone to steal lunches.

Sok (again, and again...):

You pretty much just described the period of the Spanish Inquisition. Or the Salem witch trials. I've always found it odd that a book which everyone claims promotes only peace has been used so often to justify or provoke murder, torture and war.

Dulzuth:

Not true. There are many experiences you have to pass on if you wish to get into heaven. Of course, these vary with the religion. Christian Scientists, for example, can lose their lives due to not seeking proper medical care. And if they happen to be wrong about their religion, end up in hell for it. Yay. Buddhists have to give up any and all desire. That religion Elseenas mentioned a few pages ago can't eat anything living... which probably makes it hard to keep healthy, since a strict vegan diet is pretty hard to keep properly balanced.

If you think priests are corrupt, how can you believe the religion that they are passing on to you?

Sok (and again...)

I can't read that article since I don't have a registration. Tried to register but I never got the confirmation email, and the simpsons are about to come on so I don't feel like trying to re-register. Could you maybe post it or something? Or at least give us the gist of it?

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:34 am

I am christian, though I am not catholic. They are two different things entirely. Catholics are not evil, they are decieved. The catholic institution is evil, period.

The catholic institution supported the crusades.
The catholic institution supported the inquistition.
The catholic institution supported the holocaust.

I will space myself as far from a evil money grubbing piece of crap institution as much as possible.

There is one way to get into heaven, and its very clear, belive and accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. Christians responsibility is to evangilize (sp?) sharing it with everyone they know. The truth is once I tell YOU about Christ and God, your blood is not on my hands, though I will still try to help you avoid hell. Hell is not a fun place, it is not a party land. It is a complete seperation from god, torture, nightmares, its horrible. I will do anything and everything under my power to keep even ONE person from going there.

Islam completely contridicts christianity. The Quran states multiple times that Allah did not have a son, and that Jesus is only a prophet. Jesus is much more then that.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Quinelain Dembrovia
Sojourner

Postby Quinelain Dembrovia » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:46 am

Jesus saves...

Is that why so many people give up cash at a church and the churches never have to pay taxes?
Tax churches...then I will tey to believe in your god.
Till then, I will not accept any religion that believes itself too good to have its properties and "workers" fairly taxed like every other person that must pay them.
I also look down upon the U.S. government for letting this sham go on for as long as it has. Hell..taxing the church would prolly level off the national debt. of the U.S.

Bye!! I hadn't posted anythign much here till now, and you won't see me back tee hee

------------------
--------------------------
<B>Sir Quinelain Dembrovia
Servant of Iyachtu
Hater of all things Good.</B>
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>Here goes:
If only God can change my heart, why doesn't he?
</B>Free will. What meaning would your belief have if you were forced into it?
<B>
Moritheil:

A person who is taught from an early age that he must raid another village and steal a woman to be his wife will do so, while thinking it right and proper. He may kill some of the villagers in the process, as they defend their woman. All his life he has been taught nothing is wrong with this, and that it is in fact the proper way to behave. Is it then Just to punish him for murder or wifenapping?
</B>
Who is punishing him? If we punish him, we have cultural bias, and it is probably not Just. If God punishes him, I don't know what it would be, but presumably God is wise enough to decide whether or not he is to be punished, and how much. This, again, goes to my quote of "Vengeance is mine, saith the LORD." So, uh, thanks for supporting my point.

<B>
Moritheil (again):

I can't speak for Nikelon, but I have never been wronged or harmed in any way by any christian. </B>

<B>But the history of the religion and many of the things they do (and attempt to do) today leave a horrid taste in my mouth.

Again, there is a difference between what the religion itself is, and what well-meaning but unintelligent followers try to do. I think there is definite room for improvement in the organization of many major religions, and the Catholic Inquisition is probably the best-known example of this. Yet, they changed, didn't they? And it was faithful and devout Christians who stood up and made them change. However, the fact is, not all Christians are saintly, but neither are all of them evil. They are men and women just like everyone else.

I agree that, intuitively, the devout followers of a religion promising something better should try to stand for something better. But in this case, why hold them to a higher standard? Part of the religion of Christianity is the teaching that individual people are NOT worthy. They are all flawed. It's quite possible that they try to rise above their petty hates and fears, and sometimes they succeed, but sometimes they fail.

Let me point a few things out about Nikelon's letter. It was written to curry favor with Christians, and it was written in frustration. If you subscribed to a vegan newsletter, you'd probably catch a few off-comments about "those cruel meat eaters" or some such. This does not mean that everyone in the entire subscriber list thinks meat eating is cruel, or that meat eaters are all heartless bastards. It simply means that someone who posted the message thinks they can get others' sympathy by posting that statement. For that matter, someone once sent me a log of an imm getting angry with a bug abuser and saying "oh come on, that's gay. Cut it out." Said person immediately thought better and retracted it, but we can all say bizzare things when we're really frustrated.

Heck, on the In Nomine mailinglist, a Christian had to defend the pagans from a rabid athiest. Was funny Image

------------------

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 10-22-2002).]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:48 pm

"Free will. What meaning would your belief have if you were forced into it?"

So God is going to let me burn in hell for eternity because he doesn't want to take away my free will? Nice.

But anyway, this was a challenge to Sok saying only God could change my heart. If only God can, and he doesn't, then why? It's not an issue of free will... because by Sok's statement I cannot change my heart to believe, God has to. Of course, God could present me with some evidence of his existance and then leave me with the choice to believe in Him based on that or not. It wouldn't violate free will that way, but He still does not do this.

"Who is punishing him? If we punish him, we have cultural bias, and it is probably not Just. If God punishes him, I don't know what it would be, but presumably God is wise enough to decide whether or not he is to be punished, and how much. This, again, goes to my quote of "Vengeance is mine, saith the LORD." So, uh, thanks for supporting my point."

This was a discussion of God's justice, not mans. Is it Just for God to punish a person for acting the way he was taught to. If so, why? Vengeance is mine has nothing to do with this, there is no vengeance... just a question of justice.

But as long as it's been brought up: Why should a God show such an ignoble human trait as desire for vengeance?

"Again, there is a difference between what the religion itself is, and what well-meaning but unintelligent followers try to do. "

They aren't the one's I'm afraid of. It's the non-well meaning, intelligent ones that cause so many problems. The unintelligent ones just follow...

"Why hold them to a higher standard?"

Because they claim to hold to one? I am somehow "lesser" than they are because I don't believe. Therefore shouldn't they be held to standards a mere non-believer like myself couldn't aspire to?

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:32 pm

Answering with my understanding of the Judeochristian God...

For God to take vengeance is just, because everything He does is perfect. It is absurd to hold Him to some sort of standard, because He is the standard. This also relates to the often-stated idea that He is unchanging. (i.e. the standard does not change, so He isn't pulling a fast one on you.)

Since many of you don't like swallowing that one, perhaps I should put it this way. Perhaps the No.1 cause of injustice is simply not knowing all the details of the case. Unjust punishments (typically) result from that. Well, as we have said, He is omniscient, and knows all, so there is nothing He doesn't know. In that case, He is far more qualified to render justice than you or I, being beings that never know all the details about anything.

I'm a little unclear about what this stuff is that you keep saying was done to someone, and thus makes you so upset. It seems very vague. Perhaps you should clarify.

In re: standards, YOU are the one holding them to a higher standard... if I accept your premise that we should accept all religions that don't harm others and let them practice freely, then it would be logical to ask "Is Christianity a better or worse religion than other religions?" Thus, I tried to explain that it isn't worse than others to your satisfaction (since you begin with the assumption that it IS worse than others).

I'm only a man Image

------------------
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Oct 24, 2002 9:31 pm

Sarvis mention Changing of the heart: Reminds me of the story w/ Pharoah and Moses. Let me recap a little of the story for you.

Moses goes to Pharoah and tells him God send him to ask Pharoah to let his people go. Pharoah not wanting his cheap and force labor to be taken away says no. Moses says he's not lying about being send by God and shows him different signs. Water to Blood, Frogs, Locusts, Boils, Darkness, etc etc. But Pharoah harden his heart and force harder conditions on the Hebrews. Which force the taking of all first-born sons of all family who did not have -the blood of the lamb- on it's doorway. Pharoah finally lets the Hebrews go, but change his mind and takes his troops to go slay them. He has no fear of God. God splits the Red Sea lets the Hebrew cross, Pharoah and his troop chase the Hebrew through the sea, where it fell on them killing them.

How does this relates. You like Pharoah are asking for signs from God. the Bible, the oldest written text know in existence with a continuous flow has not convince you. The life of Jesus Christ does not convince you. The sacrifice of Jesus doesn't break your heart. People can go blue in the face and I doubt it will convince you. You say you search for answers but have you dont it objectively or with a biase to find something wrong?

example. 3rd generation, everything has a consequence. If my family was an alcoholic, i have a greater disproposition to become one. If my father was a murder, who gets locked up in jail for life, I grow up in a single parent home. If my Grandfather beat the hell out of my father, my father believing that is the way you raise your kids will the beat hell out of me.

la times u requested:
Reference to Jesus Is Dated A.D. 63
Archaeology: Prominent researcher says it is "very probable" the find is an authentic reference to Jesus and he dates it to just three decades after the crucifixion.

Burial Artifact(AP)
Times Headlines

From Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- An inscription on a burial artifact recently discovered in Israel is "the first appearance of Jesus in the archaeological record," magazine editor Hershel Shanks announced today.

Writing in the new issue of Shanks' Biblical Archaeology Review, Andre Lemaire, a specialist in ancient inscriptions at France's Practical School of Higher Studies, says it is "very probable" the find is an authentic reference to Jesus of Nazareth and he dates it to A.D. 63-- just three decades after the crucifixion.

Kyle McCarter, a Johns Hopkins University archaeologist, told a news conference that the identification is probable but he has "a bit of doubt."

"We may never be absolutely certain. In the work I do we're rarely absolutely certain about anything," he said.

That Jesus existed is not doubted by scholars, but what the world knows about him comes almost entirely from the New Testament. No physical artifact from the first century related to Jesus has been discovered and verified. Lemaire believes that has changed, though questions remain, such as where the piece with the inscription has been for more than 19 centuries.

The inscription, in the Aramaic language, appears on an empty ossuary, or limestone burial box for bones. It reads: "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus." Lemaire dates the object to 63 A.D.

Lemaire says the writing style, and the fact that Jews practiced ossuary burials only between 20 B.C. and A.D. 70, puts the inscription squarely in the time of Jesus and James, who led the early church in Jerusalem.

All three names were commonplace, but he estimates that only 20 Jameses in Jerusalem during that era would have had a father named Joseph and a brother named Jesus.

Moreover, naming the brother as well as the father on an ossuary was "very unusual," Lemaire says. There's only one other known example in Aramaic. Thus, this particular Jesus must have had some unusual role or fame-- and Jesus of Nazareth certainly qualified, Lemaire concludes.

It's impossible, however, to prove absolutely that the Jesus named on the box was Jesus of Nazareth.

The archaeology magazine says two scientists with the Israeli government's Geological Survey conducted a detailed microscopic examination of the surface patina and the inscription. They reported last month that there is "no evidence that might detract from the authenticity."

The ossuary's owner also is requiring Lemaire to shield his identity, so the box's current location was not revealed.

James is depicted as Jesus' brother in the Gospels and head of the Jerusalem church in the Book of Acts and Paul's epistles.

The first century Jewish historian Josephus recorded that "the brother of Jesus the so-called Christ, James by name," was stoned to death as a Jewish heretic in A.D. 62. If his bones were placed in an ossuary that would have occurred the following year, dating the inscription around A.D. 63.

The Rev. Joseph Fitzmyer, a Bible professor at Catholic University who studied photos of the box, agrees with Lemaire that the writing style "fits perfectly" with other first century examples and admits the joint appearance of these three famous names is "striking."

"But the big problem is, you have to show me the Jesus in this text is Jesus of Nazareth, and nobody can show that," Fitzmyer says.

The owner of the ossuary never realized its potential importance until Lemaire examined it last spring. Shanks himself saw the box Sept. 25.

Lemaire told The Associated Press the owner wants anonymity to avoid time-consuming contacts with reporters and religious figures. The owner also wants to avoid the cost of insurance and guarding the artifact, and has no plans to display it publicly, he said.
---------------
I understand it was not conclusive, but it did mention that the existence of Jesus was not doubted by scholars. Christianity would not be what it is without Jesus. He is foundational. Break Jesus down and you would have broken down Christianity. To break Jesus down you would need to research him. Primary sources about Jesus is found in the Bible. In the Bible Jesus claim to be God. note, i wondered why he didn't just say i am god. but after reading thought all of John without the commentaries, you can see that he did and he constantly try to point out that he is god to the pharise

Gromi i would be cautious in denouning the Catholic faith. Within the Catholic faith is the message of Christ. They are still our brother in Christ. I sometimes wonder myself. I had a friend who's wife work as the youth minister within a Catholic church, who had kids that grow up within the Catholic church and not know who was Jesus. However the Catholic is more unified world presence than the Protestant church. We, christians, can claim they worship Mary, but Catholics can also argue Christians worship the bible.

Moving onto the issue of the tainted Christians history. I understand why you are upset that the leader of the church during the times of Crusades, Inquisition, Witch hunts, etc did not demonstrate the teachings of the bible. I can also understand the association of the act of the church as being the teaching of Jesus, but if you study Jesus, you will see Jesus did not advocate violate towards their enemies.

I'm not a history expert so maybe someone who is can fill in more detailed about those times. But i think the Crusades were a reaction towards the Muslims state of conquest. again i'm not a history bluff.

With that being said, you did not live through that time, you are not being hunted by christians for being a witch, you are not being force to convert or be killed, you are given the message of the Gospel, which is: 1) you have sin, 2) Only forgiveness of sin is sacrifice of a innocent lamb, 3) God send his son, the innocent lamb, to die on the cross for your sin, was buried and resurrected on the third day 4) you must accept Christ as your savior and Lord, 5) you must continue to grow in your knowledge of Him. if you still feel like God still owes you sometime then you are mistaken.

Murder, rape, etc. I guess the question is, do you believe that you can go ahead and raid someone's village, kill them and take their wife? If you dont think this is acceptable behavior how can you use it to make your point. Sarvis may say "i'm trying to show morality is relative, that there is no such thing as definite good and evil". of course Sarvis didnt say those exact words but i think that's where he was going with it. Did the people of that viking community believe it was okay for viking in their community to go around within their owe village killing and raping the wives of their neighbor? I do not know the viking but I would assume the answer would be no. I would bet the viking would look down upon another viking who backstab another viking during a time of war with another village just to take his fallen comrade's wife.

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 10-24-2002).]
Nuran
Sojourner

Postby Nuran » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:09 pm

If you have a religion,you are still an infidel. The defintion of the greek root word for religion, means "return to bondage."

Accepting Jesus Christ as your savior isn't it all either. I wish it were that easy. You must read his word. Only way to spend time with Jesus,is to read his word.

Sarvis,the reason Jesus won't take away your free will,is because he loves us so much,he wants a personal relationship with all of us.
It wouldn't mean anything if you were forced to love Jesus.

------------------
You tell Salen 'Can I get a ress?'

Salen tells you 'If you promise to stop dieing."

'Steal from the rich and give to the......shopkeepers.'- Nuran Incades
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:19 pm

For us heterosexual males, is there a female we can 'love?' I've seen what happens to catholic priests and loving jesus - and it kinda creeps me out.

I think we should all pay homage to Sylvia Saint. I accept her as my saviour, and wish to 'love' her in any way she deems necessary. If her 'love' involves any number of given lubricants, then that is a price I shall pay for my eternal freedom!

------------------
Gormal group-says 'shut up before i stab you in the face with my cock'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:23 am

daz i know u trying ot be funny. but to response can you luv you dad? yeah i know there are different love in the greek.

eros is daz for syvlia saint

agape is unconditional love

????? is family/friends love
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Oct 25, 2002 1:28 am

To answer your question, I will never love whoever the person that calls himself my father is.

------------------
Nuran
Sojourner

Postby Nuran » Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:21 am

I swear Daz's mother dropped em on his head.

That was an example daz,you can love something without it being in suggestive ways,does that clear things up or did I just confuse you more?

------------------

Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Oct 26, 2002 12:30 am

run-on sentences are bad, mmmkay?

------------------
Nuran
Sojourner

Postby Nuran » Sat Oct 26, 2002 1:17 am

I figured I'd get a reply like that. Bleh.

------------------

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:42 am

Moritheil:

"For God to take vengeance is just, because everything He does is perfect. It is absurd to hold Him to some sort of standard, because He is the standard. This also relates to the often-stated idea that He is unchanging. (i.e. the standard does not change, so He isn't pulling a fast one on you.)"

If the Standard is to be vengeful, then why are we not supposed to be? Also, God _has_ changed... he _used_ to rain fire down upon cities and turn people into salt. Now he does nothing at all. Ever read "Incarnations of Immortality" by Piers Anthony? In the end we find out that God has simply stopped paying attention to mortals, and no longer cares or does anything to help or punish us.

"Since many of you don't like swallowing that one, perhaps I should put it this way. Perhaps the No.1 cause of injustice is simply not knowing all the details of the case. Unjust punishments (typically) result from that. Well, as we have said, He is omniscient, and knows all, so there is nothing He doesn't know. In that case, He is far more qualified to render justice than you or I, being beings that never know all the details about anything."

This was a theoretical example, which I gave all the details for. Daz is partly right in that I was trying to bring forth moral relativsm. But how would God who must be perfect in all judgements handle something like that? Either He punishes the Yanomami(sp?) tribesmen, in which case he is injust for never teaching them the proper way to live (ie. they had no Jesus), or He doesn't and is injust because he is allowing murders and rapes to happen without punishment.

This is one of the fundamental questions for me: How come God did not tell all peoples of the world of his existence and how to follow his Word? Why did only Europeans deserve salvation?

"I'm a little unclear about what this stuff is that you keep saying was done to someone, and thus makes you so upset. It seems very vague. Perhaps you should clarify."

Umm... didn't I already lists specifics such as the Inquisition, the Crusades, Slavery, Witch Trials, the burning of Gaelic literature when they started taking over Ireland, Molesting young boys... I'm sure I could find other specific examples if you want. But I'd like to get to bed within the next half hour...

"In re: standards, YOU are the one holding them to a higher standard... if I accept your premise that we should accept all religions that don't harm others and let them practice freely

Was that mine premise? I thought it was that all religions are, at best, potentially harmful. In fact I remember Elseenas coming up with some religion in India that only eat plants or something to prove that some can't be harmful. Though I did find members of that religion were embroiled in a property dispute over some palace or another, I guess that's not truly harmful. I'm just waiting for the fanatics that start killing other people who eat meat...

Sok:

"How does this relates. You like Pharoah are asking for signs from God. the Bible, the oldest written text know in existence with a continuous flow has not convince you."

Umm, there is a "book" about the legend of Gilgamesh written in 1900BC. Genesis was written in (as near as I can tell) 1445BC... 500 years later. And the many other books of the bible weren't finished until considerably later than that. So if you are trying to say Christianity is the right religion because it's book is older, you should be worshipping the sky God Anu instead.

example. 3rd generation, everything has a consequence. If my family was an alcoholic, i have a greater disproposition to become one. If my father was a murder, who gets locked up in jail for life, I grow up in a single parent home. If my Grandfather beat the hell out of my father, my father believing that is the way you raise your kids will the beat hell out of me.

OK. You're point? All you're saying is that people will cling to the same behaviors their parents did even if they are wrong or bad behaviors. This is exactly how Christianity is passed on...

<i>la times u requested:
Reference to Jesus Is Dated A.D. 63
Archaeology: Prominent researcher says it is "very probable" the find is an authentic reference to Jesus and he dates it to just three decades after the crucifixion</i>

Did you read the entire article? The part where "All three names were commonplace, but he estimates that only 20 Jameses in Jerusalem during that era would have had a father named Joseph and a brother named Jesus." In other words, of course there was a Jesus. There were 20 of them. The question is whether or not any of them were the son of God. It's like waiting 2000 years from now and claiming that Michael was the son of God, and showing that Michael's existed in 2002. Of course they did, it's one of the most common names out there...

I understand it was not conclusive, but it did mention that the existence of Jesus was not doubted by scholars. Christianity would not be what it is without Jesus. He is foundational. Break Jesus down and you would have broken down Christianity. To break Jesus down you would need to research him. Primary sources about Jesus is found in the Bible. In the Bible Jesus claim to be God. note, i wondered why he didn't just say i am god. but after reading thought all of John without the commentaries, you can see that he did and he constantly try to point out that he is god to the pharise

Herakles, Hercules, Gilgamesh, Couchalain(sp?) and Pharoas all claimed to be eiter Gods or children of Gods. It's not so uncommon a thing in the ancient world, or in Mythology. Honestly, the most likely thing is that Jesus was just some guy who thought he could help out his neighbors and eventually started a religion out of his personal beliefs. Maybe some of those beliefs and behaviors caught on and others started emulating him... then other, more powerful, people started making legends about him and adding their own beliefs on to his. So what we have now is a mix of good beliefs of Jesus (a normal, kindhearted sort of guy) and other beliefs of random powerful leaders, filtered down to us through a corrupt church. Sign me up!

Gromi i would be cautious in denouning the Catholic faith. Within the Catholic faith is the message of Christ. They are still our brother in Christ. I sometimes wonder myself. I had a friend who's wife work as the youth minister within a Catholic church, who had kids that grow up within the Catholic church and not know who was Jesus. However the Catholic is more unified world presence than the Protestant church. We, christians, can claim they worship Mary, but Catholics can also argue Christians worship the bible.

The Catholic church just decided that it's priests shouldn't be punished for molesting children. Enough said.

Moving onto the issue of the tainted Christians history. I understand why you are upset that the leader of the church during the times of Crusades, Inquisition, Witch hunts, etc did not demonstrate the teachings of the bible. I can also understand the association of the act of the church as being the teaching of Jesus, but if you study Jesus, you will see Jesus did not advocate violate towards their enemies.

I can't tell what Jesus advocated. I never knew him, nor do I have any way of knowing him except through what a corrupt church tells me about him.

With that being said, you did not live through that time, you are not being hunted by christians for being a witch, you are not being force to convert or be killed, you are given the message of the Gospel, which is: 1) you have sin, 2) Only forgiveness of sin is sacrifice of a innocent lamb, 3) God send his son, the innocent lamb, to die on the cross for your sin, was buried and resurrected on the third day 4) you must accept Christ as your savior and Lord, 5) you must continue to grow in your knowledge of Him. if you still feel like God still owes you sometime then you are mistaken.

Right. Except that I don't believe any of that is true. Nor can I. Does God owe me anything? Perhaps not, but if God _does_ exist he no longer seems to care at all what happens to humanity.

Murder, rape, etc. I guess the question is, do you believe that you can go ahead and raid someone's village, kill them and take their wife? If you dont think this is acceptable behavior how can you use it to make your point. Sarvis may say "i'm trying to show morality is relative, that there is no such thing as definite good and evil". of course Sarvis didnt say those exact words but i think that's where he was going with it. Did the people of that viking community believe it was okay for viking in their community to go around within their owe village killing and raping the wives of their neighbor? I do not know the viking but I would assume the answer would be no. I would bet the viking would look down upon another viking who backstab another viking during a time of war with another village just to take his fallen comrade's wife.

We aren't talking about Vikings, we are taking about the Yanomami. This is exactly their lifestyle... and no, they do not think it is wrong. Nor do they use axes or backstab people... and they only steal wives from _other_ villages, not their own.

Nuran:
<i>If you have a religion,you are still an infidel. The defintion of the greek root word for religion, means "return to bondage."
Accepting Jesus Christ as your savior isn't it all either. I wish it were that easy. You must read his word. Only way to spend time with Jesus,is to read his word.

Sarvis,the reason Jesus won't take away your free will,is because he loves us so much,he wants a personal relationship with all of us.
It wouldn't mean anything if you were forced to love Jesus.</i>

I never said he had to force us, or take away our free will. In fact, I've pointed this out 3 times already...

Let's put it this way: As Sok pointed out earlier, God gave Pharoa signs that He existed. Pharoa then _knew_ God existed and chose to keep his slaves anyway. Thus Pharoa exercised free will despite knowing for a fact that God existed.

The problem is, that without some certainty of God's existence and the correctness of information passed on by the Church I'm much, much more likely to sin. I'm not sinning out of a desire to be evil, or to slight God, but simply out of ignorance to what the rules are. Whereas if I _knew_ what the rules were, and broke them anyway I would be evil without question.

For instance, let's give a non-religious example. It is against the law to kill people. Everyone knows this, it is a fact that is easily provable just by going to your courthouse and looking at the laws or whatever. Yet people still continue to commit murder. Their free will allows them to ignore a rule they know exists. However, with religion I am ignoring rules that I don't know exist.

Again a late reply. Had trouble finding a book written before the Bible... heh.

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:00 pm

<B>Moritheil:

"For God to take vengeance is just, because everything He does is perfect. It is absurd to hold Him to some sort of standard, because He is the standard. This also relates to the often-stated idea that He is unchanging. (i.e. the standard does not change, so He isn't pulling a fast one on you.)"

If the Standard is to be vengeful, then why are we not supposed to be? Also, God _has_ changed... he _used_ to rain fire down upon cities and turn people into salt. Now he does nothing at all. Ever read "Incarnations of Immortality" by Piers Anthony? In the end we find out that God has simply stopped paying attention to mortals, and no longer cares or does anything to help or punish us.

</B>It's not His standard to be vengeful. I imagine it's His standard to be just. He is vengeful when it is just to be so. Since it is not, in general, just for humans to be vengeful, we aren't supposed to do so. Let me put it another way: if someone armed breaks into your house, and you shoot them, they were in the wrong first, so you aren't wrong in defending yourself. On the other hand, you aren't right to go out on the street and start shooting people. The circumstances are different.

In re: God not doing things, if I don't do something when you punch a brick wall, and you hurt yourself, is that my fault or yours? God still acts, just in Mysterious Ways. If His plan worked in two phases, and He was going to be Smiting in the first phase and Redeeming in the second, then He is constant and unchanging, because it was all part of His plan. I don't claim to know His plan beyond the tiny bits of it that are revealed to me, and thus, I deal with the apparent slight difference in attitude without cognitive dissonance. It might be notably harder if you have a burning need to know everything; I'll give you that.

<B>"Since many of you don't like swallowing that one, perhaps I should put it this way. Perhaps the No.1 cause of injustice is simply not knowing all the details of the case. Unjust punishments (typically) result from that. Well, as we have said, He is omniscient, and knows all, so there is nothing He doesn't know. In that case, He is far more qualified to render justice than you or I, being beings that never know all the details about anything."

This was a theoretical example, which I gave all the details for. Daz is partly right in that I was trying to bring forth moral relativsm. But how would God who must be perfect in all judgements handle something like that? Either He punishes the Yanomami(sp?) tribesmen, in which case he is injust for never teaching them the proper way to live (ie. they had no Jesus), or He doesn't and is injust because he is allowing murders and rapes to happen without punishment.

This is one of the fundamental questions for me: How come God did not tell all peoples of the world of his existence and how to follow his Word? Why did only Europeans deserve salvation?

I don't know where this is coming from. I'm not European Image And you aren't one of the tribe either. To look at the question another way: you are saying, if God is perfect in His judgement, how does He do this fairly? And I am saying, "I don't know, I'm not perfect. I'm not God."

I'm just a man.

------------------
You tell Ushug 'err... spankmistress??'
Ushug tells you 'you can't help it, I've always thought of mori as a chick'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:09 pm

Oh yeah, Sarvis, one more thing occurred to me:

You might want to consider that there has to be a Faith aspect to all of this. You seem to be asking for proofs of things.

I mean, if it was absolutely surely PROVEN in such a way that everyone who could add 1+1 would know that God wanted certain things done and that Heaven and Hell were real, and that Jesus was the only way, wouldn't that just make everyone sign up? Would there be a real struggle between good and evil?

And you know what? God can (presumably, since He is omnipotent) do that any time He wishes. That's not the point of all this.

------------------
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:27 pm

<i>It's not His standard to be vengeful. I imagine it's His standard to be just. He is vengeful when it is just to be so. Since it is not, in general, just for humans to be vengeful, we aren't supposed to do so. Let me put it another way: if someone armed breaks into your house, and you shoot them, they were in the wrong first, so you aren't wrong in defending yourself. On the other hand, you aren't right to go out on the street and start shooting people. The circumstances are different.
</i>

Ok, to use your example: Is it ok to shoot a 3 year old who wanders into your house without knowing any better? That is about the level we humans would be compared to God at this point in civilization. And the Yanomami would be even younger... but you are claiming it is ok for God to "shoot" us if we do something He considers "wrong."

In re: God not doing things, if I don't do something when you punch a brick wall, and you hurt yourself, is that my fault or yours? God still acts, just in Mysterious Ways. If His plan worked in two phases, and He was going to be Smiting in the first phase and Redeeming in the second, then He is constant and unchanging, because it was all part of His plan. I don't claim to know His plan beyond the tiny bits of it that are revealed to me, and thus, I deal with the apparent slight difference in attitude without cognitive dissonance. It might be notably harder if you have a burning need to know everything; I'll give you that.

Heh. "Apparent slight shift in attitude." More like a complete 180. It's not that I have a burning need to know everything, it's that all the inconsistencies and contradictions I see really make me wonder how anyone can believe in this religion.

<i>I don't know where this is coming from. I'm not European And you aren't one of the tribe either. To look at the question another way: you are saying, if God is perfect in His judgement, how does He do this fairly? And I am saying, "I don't know, I'm not perfect. I'm not God."

I'm just a man.</i>

I'm European, and I suspect you are too. My grandfather on my mothers side came over from Hungary, and my fathers family came from Germany. But that's not the point. The point is that God only revealed himself, Jesus and the Bible to the European area of the world. The Americas, Asia and Africa all went without knowledge of God's ways for hundreds of years until we started exploring. And some places still have no idea about Christianity. So if it is the "right" religion, hundreds of thousands of people are still going to hell with no chance for salvation.

Granted, I think that if God were Just and Compassionate they would still go to Heaven. But the general concensus around here is that I'm wrong. Image

<i>Oh yeah, Sarvis, one more thing occurred to me:
You might want to consider that there has to be a Faith aspect to all of this. You seem to be asking for proofs of things.
</i>

Faith: Image

I mean, if it was absolutely surely PROVEN in such a way that everyone who could add 1+1 would know that God wanted certain things done and that Heaven and Hell were real, and that Jesus was the only way, wouldn't that just make everyone sign up? Would there be a real struggle between good and evil?

Look back at Daz's example and my response. Pharoa knew God existed and wanted him to let his slaves go. He actually chased them out of Egypt and drowned in direct opposition to God's wishes. In other words, just knowing there is punishment will not keep evil people from being evil. It _would_ save a lot of people like me from making mistakes though. There's rules in Christianity that I don't bother to follow, because I don't think they make any sense and I don't believe in the religion. I'm not an evil person by any means however. f God came down to me and said "follow this book to the letter!" I'd do it. So I'm a person going to hell when I wouldn't have to otherwise, even though I'm not evil or trying to be a bad person at all.

And you know what? God can (presumably, since He is omnipotent) do that any time He wishes. That's not the point of all this.

Yes, he could. Instead he's letting all of us go to hell without His guidance.

What is the point?

To bring another point to this debate:

If someone only follows the rules out of fear of punishment in Hell, are they a good person who deserves to go to Heaven?

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:40 pm

Nothing personal guys, but while I don't mind the belief in an afterlife or reincarnation, I DO dislike all notions of just about any religion I have ever studied or been exposed to.

One day, people are going to look back at these primitive means of justifying our mortality, and laugh. Kids will poke each other in the arm and say "I heard your mom is a Christian." Then they will run home crying to their parents who will dismiss such silly notions.

I have a very hard time believing that anyone who considers themselves a rational, educated person can fall prey to this centuries, nay, mellenia old political debate. I feel about religion the same way I do politics. It isn't about Republican or Democrat, it is about them or me.
The main difference being politicians lie to me about serving their own interests, while various religious organizations come right out and say 'I am trying to dick you over.' and then brainwash you MIB style to think that it is a good thing.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:04 am

Ok, to use your example: Is it ok to shoot a 3 year old who wanders into your house without knowing any better? That is about the level we humans would be compared to God at this point in civilization. And the Yanomami would be even younger... but you are claiming it is ok for God to "shoot" us if we do something He considers "wrong."

Therein lies the point I don't think you've truly considered. It's not just that He simply "considers it wrong." It IS wrong if He says it is. God and man are not on equal footing. We do not have a Bill of Rights that we can force upon Him. We owe our very existance to Him. It could conceivably be His right to torture us for example, but because He is not cruel, he declines to do this. In crude terms, you could consider the movie quote, "I have all the rights and you have none."

It's not right for Humans to take a lot of attitudes, but it doesn't at all mean that it's not right for God to take that attitude if He wishes. He is not human. Just as you would not presume to judge an alien by human standards, so too you cannot presume to judge God by the standards of man.

<B>Heh. "Apparent slight shift in attitude." More like a complete 180. It's not that I have a burning need to know everything, it's that all the inconsistencies and contradictions I see really make me wonder how anyone can believe in this religion.

Granted, I think that if God were Just and Compassionate they would still go to Heaven. But the general concensus around here is that I'm wrong. Image

</B>Why do you presume to judge God? I mean, think about it, does it make sense?

<B><I>Oh yeah, Sarvis, one more thing occurred to me:
</I>

Faith: Image

Look back at Daz's example and my response. Pharoa knew</B> God existed and wanted him to let his slaves go. He actually chased them out of Egypt and drowned in direct opposition to God's wishes. In other words, just knowing there is punishment will not keep evil people from being evil. It _would_ save a lot of people like me from making mistakes though. There's rules in Christianity that I don't bother to follow, because I don't think they make any sense and I don't believe in the religion. I'm not an evil person by any means however. f God came down to me and said "follow this book to the letter!" I'd do it. So I'm a person going to hell when I wouldn't have to otherwise, even though I'm not evil or trying to be a bad person at all.

Yes, he could. Instead he's letting all of us go to hell without His guidance.

What is the point?

To bring another point to this debate:

If someone only follows the rules out of fear of punishment in Hell, are they a good person who deserves to go to Heaven?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to disagree. He is not actively sending you to hell, but you are willfully throwing the equivalent of a temper tantrum and demanding things on Your terms. Unfortunately, that is not the deal.

The point of Christianity is not formulaic; it is not 'follow the rules.' The point is that you are supposed to care about others much in the manner that Jesus did. Now, there certainly ARE rules, but the rules are a guideline to help people understand what is Good and Bad.

Here's what I percieve to be the bottom line, Sarvis. You demand something. You're given something else. And the problem is, by your own admission, you aren't holding the cards to demand anything. So it's somewhat understandable if you don't get exactly what you demand, but you refuse to accept anything at all but what you demand.

That, as I understand it, is part of what it means to hold a Christian worldview. Things aren't perfect. It's hard to accept that at times; everyone deep down inside wants things to be perfect (although there are widely conflicting views on what that is). The point of Christianity, as I see it, is that even though things aren't perfect, and often aren't good, you still strive on. You still fight to do good and to have a personal standard.

I'm going to attatch a disclaimer to this. I'm probably not a good representative of Christianity. I've never been trained in how to talk to people about religion; how to explain things, how to be an apologist. Any information I've put up here is out of my own muddled little brain, and some of it may well be wrong. But I've done it in good faith.

And I hope you see.

------------------
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:15 pm

A wonderful effect of belief in some deity or spiritual being is modesty. Modesty is an orphan in the modern world's family of values. You have at the top of the hierarchy the concept of 'non-judgementalism'.

But to be meek, and to be modest is no longer a valued quality. Man is the supreme being in the universe. There is nothing above him. That's arrogance. A bit of modesty in man is prudent, I think.

From a strictly sectarian point of view, it's good for people to realize there's something greater than themselves.

------------------
- Krogenar
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:45 pm

sarvis u asked me a question about 3rd generation effects, i asked u to research it yourself, you asked again, i explained it, and u dont address the issue of the explanation. instead u bash christianity as a hand me down religion. u make all these claims about christianity as if they are authoritative. i suggest you read your post before you submit them. my professor said, the more you know the less you realize you know, and the less you know the more you think you know all.

you claim to want to know answer but you dont listen to the arguments with an open mind, yet the christians in your mind is closed. you came into the argument believing you are already right. if being told you are right makes you feel better, than you are right. however, this does not change the my belief about christianity. there have been greater man than you who has tried to disprove christianity, yet christianity remain. you have been given the answer but you reject it. i have learned to know where i'm wasting my breath.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”