Sexual . . . Abuse?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Sexual . . . Abuse?

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:40 am

Hey guys, I come to you seeking wisdom and umm, yeah, just wisdom.

Let us say for a moment that there is a professor at a major University in California. He is a respected and adored member of his faculty. For at least the last decade he has been using his position as an academic to sleep with his students. He offers them companionship, and in some cases, adjustments to their grades. He doesn't just sleep with these women.

He uses them. He does things for them, he convinces them all that he is in love with them. He chooses lonely girls, girls that don't go out much. He convinces them to sleep with him, and then to fall in love with him, and then - he dumps them, hard. He refuses to speak with them, he throws them out of his class, he will give them poor grades, and he reports them to the Dean's office as 'stalkers.'

My best friend was in his class 2 years ago. Like all the other girls, she had a crush on him. After her graduation, the ran into each other. She fell for him. She left her boyfriend of almost a year and a half. For 3 months, he treated her like a queen. Then, he hooked up with another student, and left my best friend very, very broke, and very, very hurt.

I am not about to let this asshole keep doing this. I don't want legal action against him, what I want is to see that he never teaches again, much less head a departmental position. The problem I am facing is that many of the girls he crushed were so thoroughly wrecked, they have been unable to move beyond him. Most of these women still have a gruesomely fascinating crush on this man.

What can I do to see that this stops? Anything?
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:44 am

Get this, he is writing a form of autobiographical novel about his exploits for his own personal memoirs.

Check out the first chapter.

Following the author's suicide on New Year's Eve 1993 it fell to me to set his affairs in order. I hesitate to say, take charge of his literary estate, as nothing so magnificent or pretentious existed. No, by set his affairs in order, I mean just that: I had to try to explain to the various women in his life how it was that there were various women in his life. You see, during the spring and summer of 1993, our author was, so far as I can tell, involved romantically with four women (though there may have been more), all of whom were students of his, all of whom, again so far as I can tell, genuinely loved him, and none of whom knew about the other three. And so it was that they all eventually came to me, as the one who knew the author as well as he could be known, for an explanation. It did not surprise me that each asked the same two questions: "Did you know what was going on?" ("Well, sort of, yes," I stammered), then, naturally, "Why didn't you tell me?" ("What he told me, he told me in confidence."). The details will become clearer in what follows - no, I take that back; I'm not sure anything becomes clearer in what follows - I shall simply let the author tell his story in his own words. Still, it is incumbent upon me to preface what follows (hereafter referred to as "the ms.") with a brief explanation of how it came into my possession, and, given its exiguous and lacunose character, to provide you, the reader, with some sense of orientation and structure. But first a word about me. My name is Martin Gemini.

this is the preface, written in a pseudo-first person point of view. when the story begins, it quickly turns into a smut novel filled with his sexual exploits, despite the able content of the preface. from what i can gather from his email and writings, he has been doing this since the late 80's.

he is now almost 50 years old, involved with at *least* 2-3 current students.

did i mention he is married with two children? he makes all the girls carry a 'secret' assuming he is concerned about his role as a teacher and their student position, when it is a ploy to disguise his relationships with other students as well as his wife.

i hate this man, utterly, for what he has done to my friend, and the things he has said about it to others. any rational advice or help will be appreciated.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:21 am

I gather that you are fairly convinced that this man is indeed the perpetrator of horror and cruelty. As such, he should burn.

You have several options before you. Mostly, your choices will be influenced by whether or not you believe in the System.

Do you feel that the police or a media investigation would bring some measure of closure or justice? If so, tip them off.

Do you feel that his publisher would care that the stories are real? If so, tip them off.

Are there any other elements that might be sympathetic to your cause? If so, contact them.

Most importantly, see to the victim. See that they get counseling and help, and see that any evidence they can use is preserved.

The battle for justice will be long and hard, and quite possibly additionally painful, and in this world, I'm afraid victory is not guaranteed. Fight hard.
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:45 am

Ouch, very very ouch.

Had I my way and such people were guilty of inflicting such pain on others, it would be visited back on them 10 fold.

I don't know about the states, but in Canada, what he has done is highly illeagal, hell dating students is grounds for termination until they "no longer present a threat to students accademics." He can be charged with extortion and fraud because of how he has cost these students thier tuition.

However, it will take witnesses to come forward, before anything can really be done about it.
Croban/Owom
Sojourner

Postby Croban/Owom » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:53 am

There is a good chance that some/all the victims will be able to come forward and sue him and the school, especially if they can show he tampered with grades.

Sounds kind of normal though. The father of an ex-gf did that. He is up in VA though.

------------------
- Owom Spiritbear -
Erthyne
Sojourner

Postby Erthyne » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:18 am

That's not on. I'm sorry to hear something like that happened to a friend of yours.

A question though, if you are not seeking legal actions, how else can you ruin him the way you described? I doubt someone who has done something this disgusting for 20 years has a conscience.

What I would do is to gather up all the victims (I'm sure there are people who would stand up against him) and contact the school and the Board of Education of your state.

[This message has been edited by Erthyne (edited 11-22-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:28 am

send copies of all his exchanges between the girls of the last 3 or 4 years to all of the local newspapers, as well as to the students in his class, and his peers.

i don't trust, care, or bother with the law when it comes to my friends. i and my friends determine the appropriate course of action, and handle it ourselves.

my little brother got stabbed in the face by some drunk punk looking for trouble. we broke his leg, totalled his car, and left him on the side of the road near his house. two weeks before the police determined him to be 'no threat' and had the shit thrown out. besides, my brother lived with permanent facial damage that he has had to pay for out of his own pocket because the military doesn't value its reserves enough to give them benefits and he is still in school.

so, because my brother had only been stabbed in the face once, and the guy hadn't done it before, it was obviously not a crime worth punishing anyone over.

so, accuse me of anything you want, my lack of faith in our justice system will remain paramount and i doubt anything said here will change it.

and the only reason this man won't be physically harmed is because she has, despite any attempts to show her the truth, professed to still hold feelings for this monster.
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:59 am

Truthfully... no offense Daz... but your friend was an adult and should be treated as one. everyone goes through bad relationships. Yes the professor is a jack-ass but so are most of the guys in the world. Actually, the professor is living the guy's dream... at 50 and dating 19-24 years old. Come on! Women who allowed themselves to be abused and used is their fault of the women. Its not like he drugged or raped the girl. she chose to be in that kind of relationship and she should know the consequences. People need to take responsibility for their actions, stop acting like victims in their own lives...
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kasula:
Truthfully... no offense Daz... but your friend was an adult and should be treated as one. everyone goes through bad relationships. Yes the professor is a jack-ass but so are most of the guys in the world. Actually, the professor is living the guy's dream... at 50 and dating 19-24 years old. Come on! Women who allowed themselves to be abused and used is their fault of the women. Its not like he drugged or raped the girl. she chose to be in that kind of relationship and she should know the consequences. People need to take responsibility for their actions, stop acting like victims in their own lives... </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And no offense, but you don't seem to realize where my acceptance of his actions breaks down.

This man USES a position of authority and trust that he is granted over these girls as their teacher and educator. He is supposed to teach them, to educate them. It is his job to know the righ decisions from the wrong, and the girls he preys are on the ones who lack confidence to do things on their own. They come to him for advice, support, and he makes himself into whatever they want him to be, and inevitably, they fall in love, because this is what he wants.

Then, he uses them. Then, he dumps them.

Do you want this man as your daughter's teacher, Kasula?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:19 am

Daz, man, you lead such an interesting life. Between running nonprofit organizations, beating people up, coding games, stealing software, mudding, visiting 200 web different web sites regularly, and still managing to hold a job, its a wonder you have any time left over to impress us all with your many exploits.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:24 am

Two sides of the coin...

were he a high school teacher, flay him alive, the girls would be underage.

That he's a teacher and doing this is just bad policy. I've taught one thing or another for over 10 years, and the first rule is you don't date students (many of mine were my age even) but still, you don't do it.

The other side of the coin, the girls were adults, and as such are of age to decide for themselves.

Is it reprehensible? Yes.

Is it actionable? If it can be proven that he used his position to "influence" them via rigging grades, or some such, then yes.

Should he be dealt with? At the least, Karmically, yes, perhaps legally, but to physically assault him would likely just serve to get those doing the assault in trouble.

My sympathies for those effected by him and his actions. And for him when the wheel of karma comes around.

Toplack *believes deeply in Karma* Frostbear

------------------
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B> And no offense, but you don't seem to realize where my acceptance of his actions breaks down.

This man USES a position of authority and trust that he is granted over these girls as their teacher and educator. He is supposed to teach them, to educate them. It is his job to know the righ decisions from the wrong, and the girls he preys are on the ones who lack confidence to do things on their own. They come to him for advice, support, and he makes himself into whatever they want him to be, and inevitably, they fall in love, because this is what he wants.

Then, he uses them. Then, he dumps them.

Do you want this man as your daughter's teacher, Kasula?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If i ever have children, i hope that i gave them the tools to survive and succeed in the real world. When they go off to college and meet people like the professor, she will hopefully make the right choices... HOPEFULLY...
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Daz, man, you lead such an interesting life. Between running nonprofit organizations, beating people up, coding games, stealing software, mudding, visiting 200 web different web sites regularly, and still managing to hold a job, its a wonder you have any time left over to impress us all with your many exploits.

Corth

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't run an active nonprofit since late last year, although I still consult and advise people on how to create and run them.

I don't often beat people up, but my temper can get the better of me.

I don't really code games, I do some program and design work, but mostly my function is making sure the serious programmer friends I have stay on topic.

Stealing software isn't as hard as you think. Kazaa and a few crack forums is all you need. And a good tool for translating russian and german web sites. Those dawgs got info.

Mudding, is the single biggest drain on my time, but I love it, so here I am.

Was it just 200 sites? I probably go to many more than that. I also moderate a BBS, do design work on a few from time to time, handle administrative duties for one, and post on about 8 or 9 BBS's like this one.

I'm actually no longer working at Comcast, and haven't yet started my new job in PA.

I actually do quite a bit more than just what you have listed. I despise sleep, and rarely waste more than a handful of hours a day on it. I try to absorb as much as I can in the time I have. In addition to the things you mentioned I play poker/asshole with the guys on sundays, I do some work at the local college radio station occasionally, I am a volunteer firefighter, I am working on a book, I counsel friends of mine who have problems and help as I can, I try to party at least once a week, and I even manage to have an active social/dating life.

I love life, and I believe we are limited only by our own self imposed limitations. There is nothing stopping everyone from doing everything they want to do.
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:03 pm

Daz, there is a place for people like this. I is truely a crime to use ones position to extort sex out of women of age. Just imagine his face in the photos on this web page. That is where he belongs. Let him be somebodies bitch for a while. Justice will be served.

http://info.doc.state.mn.us/publicviewer/Inmate.asp?OID=210283

[This message has been edited by Abue (edited 11-22-2002).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:07 pm

Get pictures. Post them publically. Along with any loveletters you can get your hands on. IF what you say is true it might hurt the girls he's with now, but not as much as when he screws them over.
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:36 pm

The college I went to had 2 sex scandals in the time that I was there. The first, a music teacher was doing just as this guy is. Buddies until he got what he wanted, then fail the student. As the allegations came to light, he decided to leave, but not before the college threw him a retirement party...with OUR STUDENT FEES!! Image

The other teacher decided to move to the midwest all of a sudden, but there had been rumors that he was also pulling the same stuff with students Image

Sorry to hear about your brother Daz Image That sux SO bad Image I'm glad you took care of that @$$hole! since obviously no one else was going to Image

------------------
Musi "your happy little resser"
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:55 pm

Does he drive a car?
think.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:17 pm

This is almost surely against the rules of the University. It is almost certain that someone in power in the University knows about it already, but not officially of course. It is certain that no one in the University will act without complaints from several of the victims. It is almost certain that the University will treat these young women in the worst possible way, disbelieving them, trying to get them drop their action, telling them it's their fault. If successful action is concluded at the University level, the worst that will happen is that the professor will be fired, but he will soon obtain a job in another university.

The police will not do anything because the sex is legally consensual (I think, I'm no lawyer) and the women were of age.

The media will not report the story, because of the possibility of a libel suit from the professor and from the University, and because the University will exert efforts to keep the lid on such stories since it makes them look bad.

Almost surely, his wife knows what's going on, is keeping it quiet for her own reasons, and will be angry and hurt if you bring it to light. Almost surely, his children do not know, and any publicity will be affect them for the worse.

Any vigilante efforts are illegal, most that come to mind will do nothing to help the women involved, and all of them may backfire by creating sympathy for the guy.

Advice: (1) You have a temper, and don't always think before you act/speak/write. Those are two luxuries you can't afford in this situation, if you're going to accomplish anything. Don't lose your temper (well, not in public). Always think things through, and consider EVERYbody involved. Figure out why they're doing what they're doing (and not doing), figure out what their actions and reactions are likely to be.

(2) Consult a lawyer. What legal options do you, and more importantly, do the women have?

(3) Find allies. What powerful individuals or groups can you line up that are willing to get involved in a fight like this?

(4) To accomplish anything, you will need several of the women involved to be willing to be publically humiliated. They will be accused of jumping into bed with a married man. They will be accused of trading sex for grades. They will be accused of harassing a respected faculty member. They will be accused of dragging his family through a horrific time, for their own sick reasons. They will be accused of trying to blackmail the University.

(5) "I am not about to let this asshole keep doing this." If you're fighting this for those young women, more power to you. If you're fighting it for yourself, I hope you ask yourself what these women want you to do. Not what Justice demands. Not what Vengence requires. Not what these women "should" want. Not what they "really want but won't admit." Not what "women" want. And not what I'd want for my hypothetical daughter. What do these particular victims want done about it?

If they want your help, great! If they want to do something about it, without you, butt out. And if they want to drop it, then if you respect them, you have to let them. Well, after you try to persuade them differently, I expect. But ultimately, you must respect their decision.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 8:34 pm

they are all afraid of him because he has the power to hurt them academically.

which is the root of why im so pissed off anyway.

so essentially what you are saying to me is that

1 - he won't be punished for doing this
2 - people knows he is doing this, but no one cares
3 - the law doesn't really care
4 - his employer doesn't care
5 - the media doesn't give a shit since the women aren't important
6 - i would be a bad person for trying to stop this.

yes, i love society. i can't fathom why i can be so bitter about shit.

hypocrisy.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>they are all afraid of him because he has the power to hurt them academically.

which is the root of why im so pissed off anyway.

so essentially what you are saying to me is that

1 - he won't be punished for doing this
2 - people knows he is doing this, but no one cares
3 - the law doesn't really care
4 - his employer doesn't care
5 - the media doesn't give a shit since the women aren't important
6 - i would be a bad person for trying to stop this.

yes, i love society. i can't fathom why i can be so bitter about shit.

hypocrisy.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, this is applicable to 90% of crimes wherein the perpetrator is of superior social standing to the victim.

Still, as I said, if there are other elements who may be able to do something, you can try that.

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 11-22-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:06 am

there is a reason wal-mart sells ski masks and baseball bats at 3 am.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sat Nov 23, 2002 3:50 am

ever see changling lanes?
whistle.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:06 am

6 - i would be a bad person for trying to stop this.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I said you would be a bad person for trying to stop this if the women involved don't want it to be brought to light, because I know of no way to do it without involving those women. But if they do want to fight it, your summation is pretty accurate, and they're going to need all the help you can give them, and more.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:57 am

thanks for the posts, and information, but i hooked up with an old friend, and the problem is resolved. all will be good come spring.
Abbayarra
Sojourner

Postby Abbayarra » Sat Nov 23, 2002 7:41 am

This problem is everywhere. Anywhere you have a teacher and younger students, there will be affairs. I know of a teacher in college who was know for hitting on women. In fact everyone I talked to and all the colleges they came from know of this kind of thing happening. Some colleges will do something about it, most just accept it and hush it up.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Abue:
<B>Daz, there is a place for people like this. I is truely a crime to use ones position to extort sex out of women of age. Just imagine his face in the photos on this web page. That is where he belongs. Let him be somebodies bitch for a while. Justice will be served.

http://info.doc.state.mn.us/publicviewer/Inmate.asp?OID=210283

[This message has been edited by Abue (edited 11-22-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This prison where that guy is being held is less than a mile down the road from me. Think I should go pay him a visit? :P

Glorishan

------------------
Corth group-says 'when i screw up.. i really screw up'

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:32 pm

The best thing you can do is to gather evidence against him, and present it in such a way that he cannot ignore it.

I would suggest starting with your friend's name on a petition against the man, and track back his women as many as you can find. Take their depositions on what he did to them, at least a paragraph each person.

Once you compile enough of those, you should write (or have someone write) a summary about what he is doing. Then submit the enitre package to the school administration, all the local papers to the school, CNN, NBC, everyone you can think of. Someone will run the story, Someone will investigate, and in all likelyhood, you will embarrass the School enough (if someone runs the story) that the school will come down on him to stop fraternizing with students or face consequences.

Ive seen that done before, and it works. You just have to make sure you have Real victims and a solid case of evidence. Remember the media LOVES dirt and nasty stories.. If you write you summary well enough, you can have your vengence - but do not pretend to hope that you can cost him his job. That is beyond your ability unless You do illegal things (such as buying bats at 3am). Dont even go there, fight by the rules of law.

Luck

o_o
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Sat Nov 23, 2002 1:51 pm

Just curious Daz. What's going to be done starting in the spring, since you said it'll be resolved?

------------------
Musi "your happy little resser"
Cisicimesihix
Sojourner

Postby Cisicimesihix » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:01 am

The professor will most likely wind up dead in a ditch.. o_O
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:33 pm

Musi, you ask no questions, they tell you no lies.

Daz pulls out a can labeled with a man beating a donkey.

Daz growls, 'Don't make me use this!'

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”