Go US Kids, ur smurt!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Dlur
Sojourner

Go US Kids, ur smurt!

Postby Dlur » Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:44 pm

An interesting little blurb on CNN.com:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/EDUCATION/11/20/geography.quiz/index.html

OMG if my kid (He's only 5 months right now) can't find the U.S.A on a world map well before he's 18 years old (try 6), I'm going to slap the taste from his mouth, then shoot myself for being a horrible parent.

Please if you're a mudding parent with kids of learning age, tell your group that you're going to go afk for 10 minutes, dig out an atlas and show them some freaking geography.

Props to Sweden on this quiz for having kids that are moderately smart compared to the other nations surveyed. Thumbs down to Iranian kids for not even being able to locate their neighbor (Iraq) on a map.

(begin edit)Keep in mind that I'm American. I find this information to be both hilarious, and deeply disturbing. Also note that I'm able to point out all of the countries they listed off on a map, and I can also point out all 50 US states. Not all Americans are dumb, just most of them.(end edit)

------------------
Ruld Ragingbear

[This message has been edited by Dlur (edited 11-20-2002).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:57 pm

Laughs evilly to self Image

Go US!
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:36 pm

Holy Crap!
Where did they do this survey, a Wall-Mart parking lot in southern Arkansas?

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:14 pm

this is hilarious. i mean, rofl, i can't stop laughing. this is PROOF that the whole world is stupid. can we PLEASE start mass exterminating people? we should really pwipe the world and start over.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rausrh:
<B>Holy Crap!
Where did they do this survey, a Wall-Mart parking lot in southern Arkansas?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believ they had Ragorn's tech support company handle it. They just gave out the questions over the TV once they got it working... Image

Seriously though, what kind of map do they use? I'd have trouble with the middle eastern countries if the map wasn't labled or something. And I'd have no chance at locating most states... heh.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:50 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
this is hilarious. i mean, rofl, i can't stop laughing. this is PROOF that the whole world is stupid. can we PLEASE start mass exterminating people? we should really pwipe the world and start over.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you seen the comic where two angels are talking? One of them says to the other, "I knew we should have built in a reset button!"

------------------
Xisiqomelir OOC: 'Human girls are for eating '
Chandigar group-says 'FS: Full body armor, ac5, -5 hit -5 dam, prot mori'
Nekler group-says 'do NOT rescue mori. he is to die this trip :P'
Risaros
Sojourner

Postby Risaros » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dlur:
<B>
Props to Sweden on this quiz for having kids that are moderately smart compared to the other nations surveyed.
Doesnt surprise me at all, they have to first learn where they are located at to begin bitching at them.:P

Although now that i think about it, that doesnt stop a lot of people here in the US.

[This message has been edited by Risaros (edited 11-20-2002).]
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:49 pm

I'm not the least bit surprised or concerned, even with respect to not knowing where your own country is. Take a survey of just about anything easy and some small percentage will fail. Moreover, when was the last time you needed to know where Iraq was other than to say its in the middle east? Afghanistan? Who cares? The people that need to drop bombs on it know where it is, and thats all that really matters. World geography is largely irrelevant information. So what if Joe six-pack can't point out New York or Georgia. If he ever has to look at a map, its going to be labeled. Perhaps its more relevant for european countries to know where their neighbors are, but it just isn't the same here.

Meaningless sensationalism...all of it.

Temp
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:35 pm

I have no idea where New Jersey is.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:41 pm

New Jersey.. isn't that where we send all our sewage and garbage?

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:57 pm

Why are new yorkers such angry, bitter people?

Because the light at the end of the tunnel is jersey.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:43 am

jersey is breeding ground for some of the finest ass east of the mississippi
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:21 am

They raise donkeys in Jersey? WOW!!

Kallinar...it's a part of growing up
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:41 am

Tempus beat me to it.

I file this one away with the, 'American kids are worse then rest of industrialized world on achievement tests' stories.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Kasula
Sojourner

Postby Kasula » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:02 am

Im Jack's complete lack of surprise...

This is a country... that voted in George W. Bush as president, i think its fitting. Ok, mind you that Mexico is a third world country where most live in poverty and thats the country thats scored lower than us. Go USA! Now i see why Americans are so proud to be Americans. What scares me to death is the 11 percent that couldnt find America!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:32 am

What scares me more is the people who believe shocking yet vague statistics from internet surveys. The sample size for this survey is ridiculously small: 300 people. 300 people is not a representative sample size to generalize an entire nation of people. Were the 300 chosen from one town? One state? A very small and selective phone survey? We don't know, but it's funny to think Americans don't know where Iraq is so we won't bother to find out.

The people who responded strongly to this article are probably the same people who watch Dateline for their news.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:28 am

Well, I'm swedish patriot and all that stuff, BUT..... this article is kind of WANTING to bash americans.

This sentence made me kind of doubt the intelligence of the article writer.

"• Only 71 percent of the surveyed Americans could locate on the map the Pacific Ocean, the world's largest body of water. Worldwide, three in 10 of those surveyed could not correctly locate the Pacific Ocean. "

So 71% of the americans could find pacific ocean, and 70% of the rest?

And THEY try to write it as if the AMERICANS are more stupid on that case?

*mutter*

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:59 am

They're trying to frame it into a class of articles of perverse interest to many americans that generally could be called "look how bad our schools have become". To be honest, it has a point. There is no real emphasis on geography education in the US. Of course, tempus makes another good point: who the hell cares? If the american students scored an average rank in some other subject it would hardly be considered news... just another bland academic study. I think the only thing you can get out of this study is that Sweden puts a greater emphasis on geographic education than does the US. Woop-de-do.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 11-21-2002).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tempus:
<B>when was the last time you needed to know where Iraq was other than to say its in the middle east? Afghanistan? Who cares? The people that need to drop bombs on it know where it is, and thats all that really matters. World geography is largely irrelevant information.

Perhaps its more relevant for european countries to know where their neighbors are, but it just isn't the same here.

"Who cares?"

Uhm, everyone should know basic geography. Consider it like being able to count past ten. If you can't at least point out the general region where a country lies, you are a fool, no offense.

It's even worse when you don't know and don't CARE because it is "irrelevant information". If you can't point it out on the map, it should be pretty obvious that you have no idea about the country. And you _certainly_ have no clue about its neighbors, the region it lies in, its population and politics. To me, that constitutes being an extremely ignorant person. Sadly enough, a whole darn lot of the Americans seem to think like this: "It's not in my backyard, so who gives a shit where it is. We're the best, we don't need to know. Screw the world."

It's especially scary when you scream that you want to "drop bombs on it" but have NO clue about why (or where the country even is). The mentally challenged George Bush Jr. told you so, he says that country is part of an axis of evil, so you must bomb it! Why? WHO CARES!

Ignorance is bliss.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:41 pm

Wow, well since America is so ignorant and the rest of the world so cultured and informed, perhaps we should just give away our massive wealth and power since obviously its just some sort of fluke of luck that we obtained it instead of a more deserving country such as the Netherlands... Btw, where the hell is the netherlands again? hrmm, who cares?! Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 11-21-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>
It's especially scary when you scream that you want to "drop bombs on it" but have NO clue about why (or where the country even is). The mentally challenged George Bush Jr. told you so, he says that country is part of an axis of evil, so you must bomb it! Why? WHO CARES!

Hrmm, so which bombs that we have recently dropped piss you off? The ones that stopped the ethnic cleansing of albanians and put Milosivic in jail, or was it the ones that liberated the people in Afghanistan from a brutal regime that raped and killed its people with impunity? Your such an obnoxious and self-important shit that you can't see past your own hang-ups and realize how much good those bombs your complaining about have done. Please just do me a favor and read the article I post a link to before spewing any more of your mindless propaganda garbage. Its in 'The Guardian' of all places, you know, the peacenik bastion of liberal politics? Shit I don't know where Afghanistan is but I sure as hell know, after reading this, that my tax dollars went to a good purpose when they helped pay for bombs to rain down on that country.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,838892,00.html?=rss

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Crumar
Sojourner

Postby Crumar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:33 pm

I agree with Dlur, if my kids were this dumb I would find a shotgun and shoot myself too. I can't understand how these people can live and survive in a society that supposedly value education and let things like this slide. I am sure that there are different subjects other then geography that a lot of students these days lack training in for their grade level. It's just sad to see.

Crumar.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:20 pm

Wow. Think out of the media-generated box, people.

Four years of microbiology here, calculus, physics, organic chemistry (which kicked my ass), genetics, several literature courses (my favorite was the study on Dante), a course on ancient civilizations, philosophy... I loved going to school, and will hopefully be going back again soon, just to take some courses on subjects that interest me. I HAD all the geography courses many years ago, in elementary school and again in high school. That was a long time ago, and if you unrolled a non-labeled world map in front of me and asked me to point out Iraq I'd probably stand there and look really dumb. I can point out most of the US states (until you get into those little eastern ones, then I'd need to see the borders to put my finger on them), I can point out the oceans and seas, I can point out the big countries and a lot of the areas around the Meditteranean, but I'm afraid that I'd only be able to generate a general guess as to exactly which piece of land Iraq was. If that makes me uneducated, so be it.

Although it seems to me that those who buy into all the media hype without a second thought need an education on common sense.

Use the media, don't let it use you.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 21, 2002 3:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B> "Who cares?"

Uhm, everyone should know basic geography. Consider it like being able to count past ten. </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK. And all the astronomers I talk to think that everyone should know rougly where we are in the Milky Way (nowhere special). Or heck, in the solar system, even.

And a great many chemists think that everyone should know the basics of the periodic table, or the basic idea of a chemical reaction. The physicists think that everyone should know Newton's Laws. I'm sure I could go on here.

Is geography >> physics, chemistry, all other sciences? No. Then why are you so vehement about it?

------------------
Xisiqomelir OOC: 'Human girls are for eating '
Chandigar group-says 'FS: Full body armor, ac5, -5 hit -5 dam, prot mori'
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>Your such an obnoxious and self-important shit that you can't see past your own hang-ups and realize how much good those bombs your complaining about have done.

Sniff that hurt Image Can't argue with me? Then obviously you have to flame me to try to hide that fact.

Thanks for telling me what I should believe and how I should think, but I have a mind of my own and am thankfully not affected by tunnel vision. From this angle, your foreign policy looks like a pile of festering garbage. Most of the rest of the world seems to agree...

Love,

Cherz
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:15 pm

Time out!!!

Cherz, Corth, take your own corners and cinch up the shorts. History repeats, but we heard it the first time. Love ya both.

::Ashiwi starts crooning the tune to "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"::
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> Is geography >> physics, chemistry, all other sciences? No. Then why are you so vehement about it?

No, it's not more important... all knowledge is good! I can list you all nine planets, their relative size and what number they are from the sun. The same goes for at least the basics of physics, math and chemistry. Some of you may be saying "who gives a shit?" but this leads to a much better understanding of the world and the way things work, and I cannot understand why so many people are without it. Knowledge is power.

Geography is just another of these. It helps you to see things in a bigger picture.

Why are people flaming me for saying it's stupid to not know these things? Do you actually advocate being ignorant? In other words, being smart is bad (ok I know intelligence != wisdom, but for argument's sake...)? Boggle.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 11-21-2002).]
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:36 pm

I'm glad there are dumb people out there.
If everyone were as smart as me, then it'd be a lot harder for me to get a job.

Diversity. It applies here too.

------------------
Disco
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:18 pm

My Very Evil Mother something something something pluto. Who gives a shit, we can't even go there. ROY G BIV can go screw himself too, indigo isn't on the color wheel. I can't name every body of water on the planet. I have yet to encounter a single situation that requires this information beyond the 5th grade, aside from this lovely little post.
Does this make me ignorant? Stupid? Only in Cherzraland Image But i don't need to know any of these things to want to bomb iraq. I dont even need to be able to point it out on an unlabelled map. BTW, maybe if they made innovations like maps with labels, like they have here in the U.S., the rest of the world would realize what trivial information it is. Do you memorize the string of this post and type it in manually? Or do u press the little button and let the computer take you to it automatically? If you don't type it in manually, you are obviously ignorant and stupid.

I want to bomb iraq because two towers in the closest major city to my house were blown up by hijacked planes, and many people i knew and loved either died there, or lost someone close to them because of it. Where is Iraq? Somewhere over there, in that little ass-crack that seperates Europe and Asia, next to the ocean who's name is written on the map so i dont need to memorize it. Knowledge is power. Information like this is the wire from the lamp to the wall. You dont know exactly what it looks like, but if you ever wonder, its easy to find.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>My Very Evil Mother something something something pluto. Who gives a shit

omg ROFL

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Nov 21, 2002 6:24 pm

Ummmmmm we are considering attacking Iraq for potentialy having weapons of mass destruction and violating weapon inspection rules set down after the gulf war, not because of 9/11.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>Ummmmmm we are considering attacking Iraq for potentialy having weapons of mass destruction and violating weapon inspection rules set down after the gulf war, not because of 9/11.

ok, i didnt say that was why we as a country were considering it, i said why i personally supported the idea...

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:10 pm

<B> No, it's not more important... all knowledge is good! I can list you all nine planets, their relative size and what number they are from the sun. The same goes for at least the basics of physics, math and chemistry. Some of you may be saying "who gives a shit?" but this leads to a much better understanding of the world and the way things work, and I cannot understand why so many people are without it. Knowledge is power.

Geography is just another of these. It helps you to see things in a bigger picture.

Why are people flaming me for saying it's stupid to not know these things? Do you actually advocate being ignorant? In other words, being smart is bad (ok I know intelligence != wisdom, but for argument's sake...)? Boggle.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 11-21-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, good. Then, I have no argument with this.

Go forth and spread the healing knowledge. May the Truth set everyone free.
Maedor
Sojourner

Postby Maedor » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Crumar:
I agree with Dlur, if my kids were this dumb I would find a shotgun and shoot myself too. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming that you don't own a gun...cause shooting yourself with a shotgun would be damn hard. Think pistols..
rachaz
Sojourner

Postby rachaz » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:23 pm

Everyone is arguing about the ignorance prevalent in the United States. Why didn't anyone else besides Ragorn mention how skewed the statistics were. As someone who spends 90% of my day "manipulating" statistics, it was immediately clear to me. I have no doubt that if you put this survey in Cambridge, Mass and asked 300 people the difference would be astronomical. Believing percentages that an article asking for donations to National Geographic is ignorance in itself.

Rach
Krogenar
Sojourner

Postby Krogenar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why are people flaming me for saying it's stupid to not know these things?</font>

I don't think Corth lit into you because of your view of geography. I think he responded as he did because of your comment (I'll paraphrase) about Americans.

"Stupid Americans! Can't find someplace on a map, but that won't stop them from bombing it! John Wayne Cowboy Americans! Think they can bomb anyone they like, etc. etc."

Your comment was only related to geography.
And for the record:

"Bombs away!!"
(puts on his cowboy hat, straddles a bomb, and rides it out of the bomb bay doors...)

------------------
- Krogenar
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:34 pm

Anyone who can't find Iodine on an unlabelled periodic table is ignorant. Can you, Cherzra?

[This message has been edited by Ragorn (edited 11-21-2002).]
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Anyone who can't find Iodine on an unlabelled periodic table is ignorant. Can you, Cherzra?

[This message has been edited by Ragorn (edited 11-21-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can, and yet I'm still quite ignorant! Iodine is the fourth element in Group VIIA, the halogen family. Just to the left of the noble gases. Yaaaaaaaaaaaay chemistry!

On another note, the BBC has their own little geography quiz up. I got all 10 right without looking stuff up. Granted, it's not scientific or anything, just a little somethin somethin. 3nj0y!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/2500087.stm

A sample size of 300. Heh.

- Grungar "Just another stupid American" Forgefire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:45 pm

Very good Image I never had to memorize the periodic table, but I know quite a few classes who did. But taking Chem in high school and 2 semesters in college, plus being in a field with chem-related aspects has taught me my way around the periodic table.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Very good Image I never had to memorize the periodic table, but I know quite a few classes who did. But taking Chem in high school and 2 semesters in college, plus being in a field with chem-related aspects has taught me my way around the periodic table.

I was one of those unfortunate goobers who had to memorize the whole thing. It actually comes in handy in my line of work.

From across the hall in my office: "Hey Todd, what's the molecular weight of chlorine?"

"35.453."

"Why the @#$! do you know that?"

Oh, and that country that looks like a big glass parking lot in the satellite photos? That's Iraq.

------------------
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:54 pm

1) I have a 3 year old and he can already pick out several states (California, Utah, Missouri, and Hawaii...states we have lived in or relatives live in)

2) I, like most, question how accurate these statistics are.

3) I got 8 out of 10 right in the survey from the BBC that confirms my belief in #4.

4) Being able to answer these questions is a matter of luck, general knowledge, and doesn't matter. Who cares if I know Australia's capital is Canberra? Now if I didn't know Sydney, Melbourne, and Camberra were in Australia then the general knowledge is missing. I can pick out Iraq, because I've spent some time there, but as long as someone looks in the general area when trying to find it the general knowledge is there and it's all good.

5) My son recently got a leap pad and it has a fun game where it says a states name and you have to find it. Even when you know where New Jersey is try to point to it. If the map isn't huge your going to have to point 8 times before the damn computer realizes you are actually pointing at that state instead of New York.

6) Who cares! Get the general knowledge and be learned. You don't have to be able to win a freaking game show inorder to be intelligent!

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor
and now the new improved Pofas!!
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:12 pm

"...shooting yourself with a shotgun would be damn hard..."

You just gotta be good with your toes...

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rausrh:
<B>"...shooting yourself with a shotgun would be damn hard..."

You just gotta be good with your toes...

Ask Kurt Cobaine.

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:08 pm

No no, ask Courtney Love.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:49 pm

Actually, I beleive general understanding of our planet's place in the solar system, as well as basic geography, physics and astronomy are far more important, practical and interesting that the periodic table.

Except of course, if you are a chemist or work in field heavily dependent on it.

For me, I'll be glad never to have to study chemistry ever again Image
That's why the periodic table is available in millions of books and other resources.

Interesting - the other week scientists found a small "planet" apparently orbitting earth further out than Pluto.
I'm gonna look into it.

------------------
Mogr -=BloodSeeker=-
"If it bleeds, we can killit."

Ythera group-says 'Fotex, what's my ghost doing- giving him a blowjob?'
Tanji group-says 'if so I want the next turn'
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>No no, ask Courtney Love.

Hmmm.... Dave Grohl theory, anyone?

------------------
Nunaethil tells you 'You'll be missing out! So far we have the WD fountain totally under control.'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:09 pm

didn't jayson william's limo driver commit suicide in his home with a shotgun?
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ssar:
<B>Actually, I beleive general understanding of our planet's place in the solar system, as well as basic geography, physics and astronomy are far more important, practical and interesting that the periodic table.

Obviously you didn't have a chemistry set as a kid Image

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
<B>Except of course, if you are a chemist or work in field heavily dependent on it.

Like I do. Actually, there are very few chemistry-related jobs that require an intimate knowledge of *all* of the periodic table, only certain pieces of it. An environmental consultant, for example, is highly concerned with things like sulfur, lead, and mercury, and therefore can probably identify their weights and positions on the periodic table with ease. However, they're not as interested in, say, titanium or iodine, which are encountered far more rarely.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That's why the periodic table is available in millions of books and other resources.</font>

But so are all sorts of maps, complete with labels, should anyone need to look up the location of a particular state or country.

Even in the years since I was in grade school, which hasn't been that many, the emphasis on rote memorization has all but disappeared, and its place in my education was far less than for my parents' generation. They had to be able to name all 120 counties in Kentucky. I was expected to know that there *were* 120 counties in Kentucky. (Insert clever witticism about backwoods redneck Kentucky education system here)

<B> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Interesting - the other week scientists found a small "planet" apparently orbitting earth further out than Pluto.
I'm gonna look into it.

If you're talking about the Kuiper Belt, they've discovered over 50,000 pseudoplanets out past Neptune with a diameter over 100 km, and they've been looking for at least 10 years now. Just FYI.

And I know you meant to say 'orbiting the sun' instead of 'orbiting earth.' Cut back on that @#$! Aussie beer.

-V

------------------
Vandic wields a massive mithril axe of gazebo chopping.

[This message has been edited by Vandic (edited 11-22-2002).]
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:24 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vandic:
<B>Obviously you didn't have a chemistry set as a kid Image

</B>*snip*<B>

Like I do. Actually, there are very few chemistry-related jobs that require an intimate knowledge of *all* of the periodic table, only certain pieces of it. An environmental consultant, for example, is highly concerned with things like sulfur, lead, and mercury, and therefore can probably identify their weights and positions on the periodic table with ease. However, they're not as interested in, say, titanium or iodine, which are encountered far more rarely.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, organic and biochemists only really care about the low molecular weight stuff (hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon, oxygen), sulfur, phosphorus, a couple random halides, and a select few metals. Unless you're one of those crazy organometallic chemists and you play with zinc fingers and stuff... But chemistry is good fun. What can you do with astronomy? Sit there and watch it. What can you do with chemistry? Sit there and make shit. Or melt yourself (Boiling 9M sulfuric acid on a hotplate is a good way to singe nose hairs). I suppose it all really depends on what kinda person you are, though. To each his own.

- Grungar "I Bring Clay For Our New House" Forgefire
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:59 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B>What can you do with chemistry? Sit there and make shit

- Grungar "I Bring Clay For Our New House" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

drugs.

mmail me.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”