Office Chair Intellectuals

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ensis
Sojourner

Office Chair Intellectuals

Postby Ensis » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:37 pm

I'm just curious what you all get out of picking at each others opinions via this forum.

Originally I saw the forum as a means to voice opinions about mud issues, and to a small extent social interaction.

More and more all I see is political opinions, religious opinions, and judgement over all world events. Now, considering the typical mudder spends 8 or so hours a day in an office chair watching fantasy text fly by, do you really think this forum is a fitting place to talk about these things?

The victoria secret show versus the bachelor thread is another perfect example. A show about fashion versus a show about relationships. Once again the mudders union gets together to talk about this. No offense, but in my experience these are two things the vast majority of mudders know nothing about.

Politics, This isn't a problem exclusive to mudders. Every idiot with an opinion will bitch about his respective country despite the fact that he doesn't even vote, would never run for office, and if possible, wouldn't pay taxes to support the country they live in.

This is not the mcloughlin group or crossfire. :P
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:59 pm

You'd probably feel more comfortable if you just stuck with this thread: http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000895.html

otherwise...

It would be just as fitting to ask why shows such as crossfire exist as to question why we debate things here. We debate them because they are relevant to us, and of interest. Sure, we could just completely immerse ourselves in fantasy land and ignore everything that goes on around us... but I think I've grown past that point in my life.

I think at some point we all need to examine our lives and reality. "The unexamined life is not worth living" and such. However, how far can we really go within our own minds? At some point we need to discuss these things with others, and this is a damn good forum for it. Most of the people around here seem pretty intelligent, and as long as we can keep personal feelings out of these discussions there is no harm. Imageeer Thanuk: Imageeer Kasula:

Maybe no one has changed the way they think so far, maybe no one ever will. But at the very least they've probably come up with reasons for what they believe in. If not, then they should look into the rethinking...

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
However, how far can we really go within our own minds?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went sailing the ohter day inside my mind, but I fell off the edge of the earth. That explains a lot, doesn't it?

- Grungar "Sleep is good" Forgefire
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:16 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B> I went sailing the ohter day inside my mind, but I fell off the edge of the earth. That explains a lot, doesn't it?

- Grungar "Sleep is good" Forgefire</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LoL! The question is...how long did it take to reach the edge?

------------------
Izarek / Raevithar / Fyzzlroo
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:05 am

there is no spoon?

and i am curious as to how you know just what i am or am not qualified to comment on? are you qualified to comment on my qualifications about commenting?
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Nov 23, 2002 2:42 am

Hehe... Eeeeek... I have to agree with daz... I think it very odd to question the social validity of communicating on the BBS via the BBS.

Discussion about, and comparissons of ideas about, the issues that surround us I would believe are an integral part to modern society. Doesn't matter where it happens, and with the plethora of different people who mud on sojourn, I find we can gain some valuble insight into the opinions of others here. Especially given that it is an international forum.

This forum is definately not the elite philosophy forum that let's say the UN might turn to for advice on international policy. However sharing opinion within the cultural framework of immediate peers (mudders) is a social imperative.

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:23 am

as a whole, sojourn is filled with the leaders of tomorrow .. the college kids biding their time til the real wold must interfere (as a whole not THE whole)

there are some awesome minds on our mud, we have programmers, doctors, lawyers, politicians ...

i think they are more than qualified to voice their opinion, just as you have on this thread Image

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ensis:
<B>I'm just curious what you all get out of picking at each others opinions via this forum.

Originally I saw the forum as a means to voice opinions about mud issues, and to a small extent social interaction. </B>
This is the general discussion forum. For mud issues, see the Gameplay Discussion forum.
<B>
More and more all I see is political opinions, religious opinions, and judgement over all world events. Now, considering the typical mudder spends 8 or so hours a day in an office chair watching fantasy text fly by, do you really think this forum is a fitting place to talk about these things?</B>
General Discussion
General discussion about the MUD, life, the universe, and everything.
Its on the link for chrissakes.
<B>
The victoria secret show versus the bachelor thread is another perfect example. A show about fashion versus a show about relationships. Once again the mudders union gets together to talk about this. No offense, but in my experience these are two things the vast majority of mudders know nothing about.
</B>
Just cuz you dont get any ass and can't dress yourself properly doesn't mean its true of the rest of us, thanks.
<B>
Politics, This isn't a problem exclusive to mudders. Every idiot with an opinion will bitch about his respective country despite the fact that he doesn't even vote, would never run for office, and if possible, wouldn't pay taxes to support the country they live in.

This is not the mcloughlin group or crossfire. :P

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems every idiot with an opinion can post on the BBS too...

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:46 am

I worded most of the post poorly, so I'll try to reiterate.

The point I meant to illustrate was the idea that so many people have baseless opinions, and that many others will debate with those people with their dying breath.

Whats the point of debating something you wish to do nothing about?.. Read all the controversial threads on this bulletin board, note the more consistent posters, and ask yourself why you should believe their opinions. Some of them claim to be attending University, some of them claim innate intelligence, but the majority just formed an opinion from a blurb in a news article or through whatever ideals they were raised with or created for themselves over time. All it is, is talk.

99.99999999999% of the time all that happens in regards to these issues is talk. Someone either wants to dig up something controversial and thrive on the conflict, or they want to sound intelligent or informed or even sensitive to a certain issue by picking a side. My question is who the hell cares?

If you don't like the government, do something to change it.
If you don't like whats on TV, do something to change it.
If you don't like your country, move.

I question the propriety of this forum because here, it's nothing but talk. I question why you would want to post such serious topics here, because again, it's all talk. And I question for the last time, what kind of victory you get sharing your opinion with people who you've never seen face to face, who you know only through 1's and 0's, and who could be 100% different if you met them accross a cup of coffee instead of in a chatroom.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:16 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ensis:
<B>If you don't like the government, do something to change it.
If you don't like whats on TV, do something to change it.
If you don't like your country, move.

Communication is one of the foundations of change.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:05 pm

<B>My question is who the hell cares?

The poster does?

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:28 pm

"but the majority just formed an opinion...through whatever ideals they were raised"

I'm sure all our parents just went "Woot! We done good!"

I think you are completly wrong when you say that "it's nothing but talk". Where else can you debate issues with people from the North, East West and South? Civialian and military? Dutch, Sweede, Russian, Canadaian, Americian? Men and women? Rich and poor? By sitting down with some out of work, wanna be hippie, at a coffee shop I would get the opinion of one person from one walk of life. And it would cost a lot.

It's not just talk. It is a sharing of knowledge and opinions. Maybe people's opinion is based off one article they read. But once everybody gets together and talks about what they know, information gets spread around and maybe you change someone's opinion on the topic, maybe you change yours.

"If you don't like the government, do something to change it."

Am I doing more to change my government by keeping to myself and voting my way, or convincing ten other people on the BBS to vote with me?

------------------
Rausrh licks you.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:56 pm

Heh, it's hard to even think of a way to respond to this. This is a forum. In a forum, you DISCUSS your particular views on a topic, hoping to receive input from other people, some of the same opinion as you, some of different opinion, in order to gain greater insight and understanding of the subject at hand. It's all talk, because that's all a discussion is, is talking.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:42 pm

If you went to college, does your oppinion count more than an oppinion of a person who did not go to college?

Why should only the super-educated discuss things here? I enjoy reading the oppinions of everyone. It is called gathering information about your peers. Sure we debate fiercely from time to time... but it is our right. You can tell people feel strongly about what they believe in.

How else can we, as human beings, come to know one another WITHOUT pure talk? Friendships can not be formed without understanding.

and, fyi, the makers, keepers and core foundation of this mud are *highly* educated people. Most of the older pbase (30+) are what this country refers to as 'white collar thinkers'.

Nitania

P.S. If we ignored the oppinions and thoughts of the uneducated, this world would be missing out on quite a bit of its natural genious.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nitania (edited 11-25-2002).]
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Mon Nov 25, 2002 7:18 pm

Threads of political and religious sigificance put the BS in BBS. They do make for fun and interesting discussion however, and on a forum that people use for entertainment and information to break up the monotony of their work day, they really seem to fit the bill.

------------------
And shepherds we shall be, for Thee my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
We will flow a river forth unto Thee,
and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
<B>Threads of political and religious sigificance put the BS in BBS. They do make for fun and interesting discussion however, and on a forum that people use for entertainment and information to break up the monotony of their work day, they really seem to fit the bill.

c'mere Zrax, and let me show you In Nomine! Image

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> c'mere Zrax, and let me show you In Nomine! Image

Jeez Mori, yer worse than a 2 bit crack whore trying to turn tricks for her next hit the way you push that In Nomine..... At least the quality of the product yer pushing is much better!

Image Image

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:23 am

I think the two rules about open discussion on a bbs are these:

1. You can post your opinion

2. You should be prepared for someone who is more knowledgable on the matter to bring up enough evidence to completely ream your opinion.

When people aren't willing to accept the second, that's when things go from debate to just screaming and it stops being fun.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”