A little tech support humor

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ragorn
Sojourner

A little tech support humor

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:32 am

As some of you know, I'm a technical support front line grunt for Dish Network. My job is to interact with the customer on common technical issues. I've been on the job for about 4 months now, and I have something I'd like to share with you:

www.livejournal.com/users/echodork

This is the compilation of all the lamest, tear my hair out, screaming, shit myself, sorry for humanity calls I get on a day to day basis. I'm going to try to update three times a week. Please take five minutes of your time to read basically the best humor I can offer you. I like to think I'm a pretty good writer, and I tend to think this stuff is pretty funny. Thanks for your time.

Here's a teaser:

"I swear to sweet Jesus in heaven above if he hits the button on the receiver one more time I'm going to drive to the nearest bar, empty my wallet on the counter, and drink myself down to his level."

(EDIT) Please read from the bottom up, as LiveJournal posts the newest entries at the top. It makes more sense if you read them in the correct order.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'

[This message has been edited by Ragorn (edited 11-19-2002).]
Deshana
Sojourner

Postby Deshana » Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:19 am

Ok, I needed that, this is a must read for ANYONE thats ever done tech support. I sympathize

Deshie

------------------
Cold Fire Frozen Spirit
IcePhoenix.

Thanuk group-says 'btw u all get to tell everyone u popped my cherry now:)'
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:35 am

BTDT mang, I used to do tech support for HP tape backups, and AT&T cable.

Loved HP when a dental hygenist would call in asking for help.... totally clueless

and of course the mothers on AT&T calling about the $600 in adult PPV's from the last month, when it was just her and her 12 year old son living there, and HE wouldn't do that....

Thank GOD I'm outa that....

Toplack

------------------
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:28 am

Poor Rags :P

And they say the highest suicide rate is in Air Traffic control

Does this count as part of your psych training? !!

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Ssikin
Sojourner

Postby Ssikin » Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:37 pm

I can honestly say I know exactly what you are going through.... I have held two jobs on phone customer service... one was at spiegel and the other Conseco... I don't know how things go at Dish but at both places I have worked customer service is saying I'm sorry really really nice and giving your money back or telling you that yes you were scammed and ain't life a bitch (in the nicest possible way of course)

hehe I just deleted 20 or so lines of text here before I posted simply because I would be here all night telling you my stories of america's stupid and gullable.

Stay Strong!

------------------
Kasula OOC: 'the butt tells all... if your any bit fat... your butt will tell'

Kasula OOC: 'kinda like the crystal ball of the human body'
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>As some of you know, I'm a technical support front line grunt for Dish Network. My job is to interact with the customer on common technical issues. I've been on the job for about 4 months now, and I have something I'd like to share with you:

www.livejournal.com/users/echodork

This is the compilation of all the lamest, tear my hair out, screaming, shit myself, sorry for humanity calls I get on a day to day basis. I'm going to try to update three times a week. Please take five minutes of your time to read basically the best humor I can offer you. I like to think I'm a pretty good writer, and I tend to think this stuff is pretty funny. Thanks for your time.

Here's a teaser:

"I swear to sweet Jesus in heaven above if he hits the button on the receiver one more time I'm going to drive to the nearest bar, empty my wallet on the counter, and drink myself down to his level."

(EDIT) Please read from the bottom up, as LiveJournal posts the newest entries at the top. It makes more sense if you read them in the correct order.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hey rags doing tech for dell i can simpathize with you bro Image

------------------
Her Royal Bitchness Eye Aeturnum
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ssikin:
<B>I would be here all night telling you my stories of america's stupid and gullable.

I did a VERY short stint working for AOL. I don't think they get any worse than that.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:09 pm

Hey what is your number and extension?

I think I could have fun with you!

hahah *evil grin*

Kevin

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
I did a VERY short stint working for AOL. I don't think they get any worse than that.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol ash.. but woul you expect anything but the dumbest callers from AOL users? Image
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mikayla:
hey rags doing tech for dell i can simpathize with you bro Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, when comcast started hiring tech support a couple years ago for high speed internet - half the dell tech support in the area quit and came to work for us. i think 1/3 of our department is former dell workers
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:55 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
Lol ash.. but woul you expect anything but the dumbest callers from AOL users? Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not any more.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:40 pm

sadly, comcast is now taking AOL's customers from them, and aol is paying us to do it - so that they will be aol customers using comcast high speed.

oh my god

the people who use aol for the most part have GOT to be some of the lowest forms of evolutionary plankton in the history of existence.

"my internet don't work no mo'"

"how long has this been going on? what are your modem lights doing?"

"what's a modem?"

"it's a generic name we give to our routers for familiarity. a modem is a device that converts signals from analog to digital and vice versa. you can see how this doesn't technically apply to the hardware you now have."

"huh?"

"the little box we gave you with the flashing lights."
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ilshadrial:
<B>Hey what is your number and extension?

I think I could have fun with you!

hahah *evil grin*

Kevin

have fun with who ilsha? me? i think not, you i just ignore Image

------------------
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:20 pm

heh ive seen things that are close to that but never that i used to do tech support for my school last year and ive heard some pretty stupid things i sympathise with all of you
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
lol, when comcast started hiring tech support a couple years ago for high speed internet - half the dell tech support in the area quit and came to work for us. i think 1/3 of our department is former dell workers</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

really daz? where you live? maybe i come work for you also Image

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:32 pm

new castle, delaware is comcast internet technical support headquarters. cherry hill, new jersey is our engineers.

14 dollars an hour, 40 hours a week. full benefits, 401k, stock options, free high speed internet, and every cable channel in existence, including adult channels. yearly raises of 3-8%, performance based. option up to 20 hours a week of overtime at time and a half. when you start, you get 2 weeks paid vacation. 7 paid holidays. 4 paid sick days. 8 paid personal vacation days. you get these days off every year, too.

you never work more than 6 hours in an 8 hour day, and some days you work less than an hour. its a cubicle job, so a good amount of time is spent waging war with rubber bands and paperclips, and passing around maxim and stuff magazine.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:35 pm

oh, and we use unskilled canadian technical support for outsourcing. when a customer insists you don't know what you are talking about, you agree and transfer them to a canadian mcdonald's worker. seriously.

if you call for help, and hear a canadian accent, hang up - fast.

i had to transfer a guy once who couldn't install his network card (of course, the man was a network engineer, as he often told me) so i sent him up to canada. when i told the canadian the guys account info and the problem, he promptly asked me 'so, what does the network card actually do?'

the tech support, not the customer.

so, instead of transferring him, i conference called and we all had a good laugh.
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>new castle, delaware is comcast internet technical support headquarters. cherry hill, new jersey is our engineers.

14 dollars an hour, 40 hours a week. full benefits, 401k, stock options, free high speed internet, and every cable channel in existence, including adult channels. yearly raises of 3-8%, performance based. option up to 20 hours a week of overtime at time and a half. when you start, you get 2 weeks paid vacation. 7 paid holidays. 4 paid sick days. 8 paid personal vacation days. you get these days off every year, too.

you never work more than 6 hours in an 8 hour day, and some days you work less than an hour. its a cubicle job, so a good amount of time is spent waging war with rubber bands and paperclips, and passing around maxim and stuff magazine.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thats it? i need more of everything Image

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:16 pm

yeah, i forgot job requirements - you need a high school diploma and basic networking knowledge.

basic = do you know what tcp/ip is? what is an smtp server?

everything else is covered in the 2 months of paid training.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:54 am

Damn Rags I feel for ya buddy. I have had a few customer service nightmares in my time too. I just recently started a job with at a Cingular Wireless call center myself. I thank the gods that I am working at the branch that covers the west coast only heh. If I had to work at the Louisiana or Atlanta branch I would prolly end up bald and in a drunken stupor after the first month on the phones.
I mean California people are anal enough, but anal illiterate rednecks that bought their phone so that they could keep in touch with their sheep while they are away from the farm chasin after city folk that done went and wandered off into the woods alone (thinking of the Banjo Duel song as I type this) just would take the cake for me in all honesty.
Oh and if any of you folks that happen to read this get offended, just keep in mind that I was born in Mississippi and raised in Louisiana so I get to badmouth southern folk due to my roots Image So ya'll jus go on o'er yonder and shet yer mouth y'hear?

Oh hey Daz, if I happen to know what PAP and CHAP mean, does that mean I have advanced network knowledge? Image

Kallinar....What do you have to say?

[Edit] : Oh my...you ought to see the looks I get from people at Cingular when they hear that I have Verizon service on my cell phone. heh. Its like an Irish guy walkin into an Italian mafia don's home and sayin "Top 'o da mornin to ya lad."

[This message has been edited by Kallinar (edited 11-21-2002).]
Mikayla
Sojourner

Postby Mikayla » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:51 pm

<B>yeah, i forgot job requirements - you need a high school diploma and basic networking knowledge.

basic = do you know what tcp/ip is? what is an smtp server?

everything else is covered in the 2 months of paid training.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hrm? let me think, does that having something to do with my computer? Image LOL LOL LOL LOL

------------------
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:50 pm

Ragorn have your gf get some pilers. i need my daily dose of cable tv morons. i'm going through withdraws. withdraws i tell you. :|

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 11-27-2002).]
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:08 am

<B>oh, and we use unskilled canadian technical support for outsourcing. when a customer insists you don't know what you are talking about, you agree and transfer them to a canadian mcdonald's worker. seriously.

if you call for help, and hear a canadian accent, hang up - fast.

i had to transfer a guy once who couldn't install his network card (of course, the man was a network engineer, as he often told me) so i sent him up to canada. when i told the canadian the guys account info and the problem, he promptly asked me 'so, what does the network card actually do?'

the tech support, not the customer.

so, instead of transferring him, i conference called and we all had a good laugh.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMFG!!! Stop it Daz!!!! I'm dying on the floor laughing! Image

You have to be making this shit up!!!

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”