A Question of Value - Steel Battalion

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

A Question of Value - Steel Battalion

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:07 am

Basically, it boils down to this:

-Is $200 a reasonable price for a game? We're not in the Neo-Geo age anymore.

-Would it be ethical to buy it, seeing that Microsoft is the source of all evil in the world today? (Note that if it were Microsoft-PUBLISHED that would immediately place it beyond the pale. Happily, it wouldn't be anywhere near approaching playable if that were the case, so these spasms of indecision would stop wracking me Image )

------------------
"I know you like to believe fairy tales about how rude and unfair evils are, but keep them on your side of Baldur's Gate."
Azenilsee
Sojourner

Postby Azenilsee » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:33 am

Actually, the real question is, is the game any good?

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,554980,00.html

------------------
Azenilsee - Faern Dalharil - Orbdrin D'Oloth
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:35 am

"Is $200 a reasonable price for a game? We're not in the Neo-Geo age anymore."

Yes. The game is involved enough to warrent having a controller similar to the throttle/weapon control setups that PC flight sim players often use. Thrustmaster may be gone, but some of us remember the days where you would walk into a store and see rows of flight sticks and weapon control systems each costing $100 to $200 each. Like those controls, this is a game for hardcore gamers.

Plus, there are plans for a sequel using the controller so it's not a one time use thing.

"-Would it be ethical to buy it, seeing that Microsoft is the source of all evil in the world today?"

Anyone who refuses to buy a game because MS is somehow related to it is a fool missing out on some great games. Good games are too rare as it is, to say nothing of a very detailed mech simulator in a time where other mech games are being dumbed down.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
You receive your share of experience.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:36 am

Oh, and for other opinions on the game, this is what the people at penny arcade thought

http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2002-11-22

Not everyone is agreeing with gamespot, though gamespot still rated the game as good.

------------------
You fire a black-shafted elven arrow to the east at Gormal's pet goat with masterful shooting that does lethal damage!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:38 am

Wow.. I wish I had $200 to blow.. this game looks more ambitious than anything ive seen before..

That being said, 99% of the time that I am psyched to check out a game, I am disapointed. All too often it seems like the creators were more interested in graphics and sound then they were with actually crafting a game. Oh well...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:05 am

"-Is $200 a reasonable price for a game? We're not in the Neo-Geo age anymore."

I'd probably shell out if I had the money. It's an interesting idea, and I'd love to experience it... and if more games might come out which can use that controller it would just be bonus!

"-Would it be ethical to buy it, seeing that Microsoft is the source of all evil in the world today? (Note that if it were Microsoft-PUBLISHED that would immediately place it beyond the pale. Happily, it wouldn't be anywhere near approaching playable if that were the case, so these spasms of indecision would stop wracking me )"

Ummm... in order to play this game you must have an xbox. The fact that you are trying to decide whether or not to buy it must then mean you already have an xbox, right? Then what is your issue, since you have already sold your soul to MS? Besides, you're money for Steel Battalion will be going to support a different company, who should be rewarded for doing something ambitious and cool like this.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>
Ummm... in order to play this game you must have an xbox. The fact that you are trying to decide whether or not to buy it must then mean you already have an xbox, right? Then what is your issue, since you have already sold your soul to MS? Besides, you're money for Steel Battalion will be going to support a different company, who should be rewarded for doing something ambitious and cool like this.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Sarvis, I DON'T have an Xbox yet. So if I bought one it would be because of Steel Battalion Image

------------------
"I know you like to believe fairy tales about how rude and unfair evils are, but keep them on your side of Baldur's Gate."
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:32 am

Ouch, that changes things a bit. Now you're talking like $400 to play one game, which seems a bit steep. Now the question becomes: Are there other Xbox games you'd like? I wanted an N64 pretty badly, but only for one game Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I never actually got around to buying the system though... because itw as just too much money for one game.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:04 pm

$200 for a video game is fabulously expensive, now matter how deep or involved the game is. I say, go buy the new Metroid. It's beautiful. Perhaps the greatest $50 I've ever spent.

By the way, rumor has it we can expect price drops on all three consoles within the next week or two. PS2 and Xbox to $150 and Gamecube to $100. Yummy!

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
I wanted an N64 pretty badly, but only for one game Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I never actually got around to buying the system though... because itw as just too much money for [b]one game.

[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought an N64 just to play Pokemon Stadium (haha guys), then James bought Zelda: Ocarina of Time and he got so wrapped up in it, I decided to check out the game for myself. I loved it so much that when Majora's Mask came out, I bought it and the little insert I needed for my N64 (cost a small fortune, but at least I was working at the time). Altogether, we have 4 games for my N64.

Have you seen what the GameCube's newest Zelda game looks like? I think it sux because they've taken a 3d environment and made it into a comic book looking game Image

------------------
Musi "your happy little resser"
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:10 pm

i see no reason why the xbox should sell for 150 dollars. right now microsoft LOSES money on every Xbox they sell. they built a machine that powerful to gain market penetration and credibility.

i don't even bother with the gamecube, because the platform and it's titles bore me. there IS an xbox and ps2 in my apartment though, for a reason.

the xbox is a badass machine. microsoft deserves so much credit for this. a 700(ish?)mhz processor, 10 gig hard drive, built in ethernet card, video card, and dvd player.

for 200 dollars. ugh, explanation shouldn't be needed.

regarding the 200 dollar price tag on the game. it isn't JUST the game, you also get the very, very sweet controller rig.

worth it for the system? yes.
worth it for the game? if you love mech games, i'd lay money on it.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:15 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
i see no reason why the xbox should sell for 150 dollars. right now microsoft LOSES money on every Xbox they sell. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ohhhh, they're STILL loss leading? I read about that a few months ago on /. but I thought that wouldn't be the case anymore. So I'd be HURTING Microsoft by buying one! Buying before they jack prices then, and after that 3rd party games all the way Image

(plus a 50 button controller w/ 3 pedals is just too hardcore to pass up Image )

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:09 pm

"That shit will put the fear of God in you."

------------------
Kiaransalee responds to your petition with 'look on the bright side, I just saved you some corpses. We all know you would have gotten spanked'
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:15 pm

"By the way, rumor has it we can expect price drops on all three consoles within the next week or two. PS2 and Xbox to $150 and Gamecube to $100. Yummy!"

That rumor is quite false. All three companies denied it when talked to about it earlier. Considering that you can get a Gamecube bundled with a great game for 150 and an Xbox with two great games (Jet Grind Radio never gets the attention it deserves) for 200 AND both those bundles are only a month or three old, more price lowering would be read as either panic or a sign that the machine will soon be replaced by the next iteration of hardware.

Treladian "Not-so patiently waiting for Panzer Dragoon Orta to pick up an Xbox" Silentwind

------------------
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Sat Nov 30, 2002 10:05 pm

I tend to agree with your statements Treladian. Although I'm certainly not Microsoft's biggest fan I hardly believe they're the source of all evil today. Besides, it seems like lately alot of the console games I find interesting seem to be coming out for xbox. This isn't to say that other consoles aren't putting out games that are good - just that the ones for xbox seem to fit my own tastes.

Although I haven't played Steel Batallion yet, it does look kinda cool and if it is too expensive - well, certainly nobody's forcing us to buy it. If on the other hand they made it a requirement to have lest your Xbox self destruct in a thermonuclear detonation - then I'd probably have issues (pauses to eye his xbox warily and check its temperature). Image

Incidentally - has anyone tried out Splinter Cell yet? Smoking little game.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Dec 01, 2002 6:40 am

I refuse to purchase anything from MS if I can avoid doing so. Period. I keep a copy of MS Office on my machine because OpenOffice can't compete and isn't sufficiently compatible (yet) and AppleWorks doesn't have presentation software that is worth a damned thing.

Then again, however, I don't play many games.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sun Dec 01, 2002 7:10 am

MS released the xbox with the simple goal of blowing a large amount of money to conquer the console market. Unfortunately they're dealing with Sony, and Sony has some VERY loyal customers and game companies willing to make games for their consoles. More than a few game companies like Square still only make games for playstation, while many more have no problems releasing games for both consoles, which hurts MS in the long run. The PS2's ability to also play standard PS games also gave sony a huge jump. People that own a PS are more willing to shell out extra money knowing they're getting a system that not only can play new and more impressive games but also play their old favorites. The console market is one area I don't see MS dominating anytime soon, they released a very nice console and will probably get a good foothold, but they'll never control the market the way they hoped.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tanji Smanji:
<B>MS released the xbox with the simple goal of blowing a large amount of money to conquer the console market. Unfortunately they're dealing with Sony, and Sony has some VERY loyal customers and game companies willing to make games for their consoles. More than a few game companies like Square still only make games for playstation, while many more have no problems releasing games for both consoles, which hurts MS in the long run. The PS2's ability to also play standard PS games also gave sony a huge jump. People that own a PS are more willing to shell out extra money knowing they're getting a system that not only can play new and more impressive games but also play their old favorites. The console market is one area I don't see MS dominating anytime soon, they released a very nice console and will probably get a good foothold, but they'll never control the market the way they hoped.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Square is releasing a new Final Fantasy title on the gamecube, and probably some others on the GBA, and with Square and Enix merging in April, I wouldn't be suprised to see them crossing over further.

------------------
-Arilin Nydelahar
...Knowledge is power, and knowledge of life and death brings power over all beings, living and unliving.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:06 pm

Elseenas: Image Sorry, but I'm just amused by people who go to great lengths to avoid a companies products. Honestly, if I were to try and avoid any companies product it would be one that actually does harm to the environment or has people working in sweatshops... not a software company that is popular. I get sick of people hating things because they are popular or wealthy... It's the same mental attitude that lets Daz believe it's ok to steal software from those evil (rich) software engineers.

Arilin: What is square releasing on Gamecube? I knew there were a couple GBA games coming, but not gamecube...

------------------
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:32 pm

Elseenas, I ALSO use no Microsoft products whatever. I took great delight in combatingthe Microsoft tax on my new laptop, punishing the silly manufacturer for being a drone.

Having had a thoroughly Catholic background though, casuistry and sophistry are second nature to me, and I am certainly more than capable of allowing myself to make morally dubious decisions, so long as there is the flimsiest justifaction I can sway myself with. By my calculations, purchasing an Xbox at current prices, and then Steel Battalion will result in a net LOSS for Microsoft. This of course, only covers the momentary situation at the time of purchase, and totally fails to take into account the various intangibles of Microsoft selling another Xbox, but I feel that so long as I am taking money away from them at the time, I can't be going far wrong.

------------------
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:58 pm

Aye, I've never heard anything about a new FF being released on gamecube, especially since there's only 1 more FF slated for release before they turn full attention to finalizing their online FF game. GBA I can see since Square has kept up releasing FF games for the old gameboy since Sony didn't want to pursue a handheld console.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Unag
Sojourner

Postby Unag » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:28 pm

Hmm...with regards to Square and Nintendo releasing a title or two, I have very little information except this:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2002-03-11&res=l
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Sun Dec 01, 2002 8:56 pm

The Gamecube Final Fantasy is called Crystal Chronicles. Little is known about it so far, but there have been some preliminary pictures and video released. It looks to be a bit more action oriented than previous FF's.

In reference to why someone might boycott Microsoft, there are plenty of reasons beyond the fact that they're merely popular. It's been well documented that the company is a monopoly, and you have to work pretty damned hard as a corporation these days to actually get recognized as a monopoly. Likewise, the company has a very master/slave method of hiring employees. The company retains an elite uper hierarchy of actual employees on salary, while the remainder of its workforce does not actually work for the company. Microsoft has a track record of staffing its company with temp workers, and laying them off just before it is time to evaluate them and make them actual employees of the company, only to rehire them as temps again one month later.

Some quotes from Bob Herbold, MS's chief operating officer. In reference to hiring permanent employees: "Don't get caught with useless fixed assets." In reference to sixty-three permanent receptionists for the company who were laid off and forced to reapply through a temp agency if they wanted their old jobs back, "We were overpaying them." And finally, "Our revenue has gone up 91 percent and our head count has actually decreased 19 percent."

He is speaking in semantics. Technically, he hasn't reduced his headcount at all. He has merely found a way to shaft his workforce out of pay, benefits, and any sense of security they might have ever had.

But who cares about Microsoft when there's Nike. Oh, wait a second. People like that company too. Feverishly. *boggle*

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”